PDA

View Full Version : trimming

curlychica702
April 2nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
will my hair still retain length if i never trim?

spidermom
April 2nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
It depends on your hair.

I've tried it twice now (going a year with no trimming), and I always end up having to cut more than I lose if I trim regularly. My ends get old and dried out and start breaking and splitting, and the damage travels upward.

But I've seen plenty of people around here trim seldom or even never, and they get long, lovely fairy tale ends.

curlychica702
April 2nd, 2011, 11:31 PM
what are fairy tale ends?
my hair has some damge from hair color on the ends but most of the super damged hair broke off already( i had multiple chemichals in my hair in like 2009) but i was hoping if i kept the rest of my hair (and the new growth )healthy then would have to worry about damage.

Angeldances
April 2nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
I agree with Spidermom, it depends on your hair and how you treat it,

I havent trimmend for over 3 years, but now that im just past waist im starting to notice some damge (dry, splits, kinks) so I will do a small trimm as soon as I buy myself some decent scissors.
The damage might also be due to me wearing it down more now its long!

Angeldances
April 2nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
I agree with Spidermom, it depends on your hair and how you treat it,

I havent trimmend for over 3 years, but now that im just past waist im starting to notice some damge (dry, splits, kinks) so I will do a small trimm as soon as I buy myself some decent scissors.
The damage might also be due to me wearing it down more now its long!

jojo
April 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM
A lot of people never trim and get good growth but I find the thicker the strands; the better they can handle no trims. For me my hair strands are baby fine and 4 months is the longest I can go without it looking a mess at my length. However, I have gone 2 years in the past when my hair was very short, so it seems for me my longer, older ends can't handle no trims.

Theres only one way to find out and thats experiment, no biggie if you have to have trims.

Jcv-Shelley
April 3rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
It depends on your hair's genes and your judgement. I can go for 6 months growing out a layered bob with no trimming. As long as it's not breaking off, bothering you, or causing damage to the length I think it's ok.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
what are fairy tale ends?
my hair has some damge from hair color on the ends but most of the super damged hair broke off already( i had multiple chemichals in my hair in like 2009) but i was hoping if i kept the rest of my hair (and the new growth )healthy then would have to worry about damage.

Fairy tale ends are when you don't trim and the hair gradually tapers out to nothing. There is a thread somewhere on the mane forum titled (I think) "show me pictures of fairy tale ends". I don't know how to post a link, but I'll go over there and give it a bump so that it's easy to find.

MoonlightShadow
April 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
it's possible that it can retain length if u take very good care of the ends, but breakage can occur and then length won't be retained :(

MoonlightShadow
April 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
maybe if you reduce how often you get trims, that might help ^ ^