PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to grow out my hair, despite using straightener?ing

CurlAhead
April 2nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hello guys! :)
I am planning to get long hair, at least waist. So, I am wondering if that is even a possibility for me. I don't do CO washer anymore, because I didn't see any difference and because I SAW it was so dry etc, I just couldn't keep the scissor from my hair. So, I've now started using;
shampoo
conditioner without silicones
heatprotector WITH silicones
and then I flatten it with a ghd-straightener.

I might do this once to twice a week. Is it impossible for me to get long hair?
I have about shoulder-lenght hair, but the sides are uneven.

Oksana
April 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
I think this really depends on your hair-type and the condition of your hair. When i had virgin hair i straightened once, sometimes even twice a day and maintained my hair at waist with minimal damage but after coloring and bleaching i have had to give up the straighteners because my hair would just frizz and split.

Tiina
April 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I don't think it is impossible to get long hair but it won't be in the best condition it can be if you straighten.

Also, if you are using cone-free conditioner, you should check if your shampoo has SLS because SLS may be too harsh for everyday use unless you have constant cone-buildup to worry about.

CurlAhead
April 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
I think this really depends on your hair-type and the condition of your hair. When i had virgin hair i straightened once, sometimes even twice a day and maintained my hair at waist with minimal damage but after coloring and bleaching i have had to give up the straighteners because my hair would just frizz and split.

I have just like, 2 inches of virgin hair, and that is quite thick.... I have 3b-c hair, and overall I think that my hairs are M? I have dyed my hair 3 times in like, 6 years or something like that. But the top hair is really damaged, for some reason I don't know? It might just be missing moisture or protein, but neither of it seems to help.

I don't think it is impossible to get long hair but it won't be in the best condition it can be if you straighten.

Also, if you are using cone-free conditioner, you should check if your shampoo has SLS because SLS may be too harsh for everyday use unless you have constant cone-buildup to worry about.

Yes, I wash with a SLS-shampoo to get rid of the silicones from the heat protector, so that nutritions from the conefree conditioner can penetrate the hair instead of being "blocked" by the cones. I don't wash my hair every day though, maximum twice a week... (yes, might be a bit nasty when it is greasy but sometimes I just don't care) :D

Edit: I am just planning to straighten it also maximum twice a week, iow, when I have washed my hair and it is really curly and frizzy.

MoonlightShadow
April 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
hm, i guess it depends on your hair type. i think different hair can handle different things that other people's hair can't handle. maybe you should start off with straightening once a week and see how that works first? :)
i do hear that some people are able to do this, but they also deep condition every week as well

Tiina
April 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
I have just like, 2 inches of virgin hair, and that is quite thick.... I have 3b-c hair, and overall I think that my hairs are M? I have dyed my hair 3 times in like, 6 years or something like that. But the top hair is really damaged, for some reason I don't know? It might just be missing moisture or protein, but neither of it seems to help.

Yes, I wash with a SLS-shampoo to get rid of the silicones from the heat protector, so that nutritions from the conefree conditioner can penetrate the hair instead of being "blocked" by the cones. I don't wash my hair every day though, maximum twice a week... (yes, might be a bit nasty when it is greasy but sometimes I just don't care) :D

Edit: I am just planning to straighten it also maximum twice a week, iow, when I have washed my hair and it is really curly and frizzy.

I didn't mean everyday as in washing every day but as in using during every wash. Sorry for the confusion, my bad. :) Even so, I don't think SLS shampoo is necessary during every wash. It does not only get rid of the cones but also of everything else good (sebum, oils, protein...) that is on your hair, thus making it more fragile. The cones will not significantly keep other conditioners from doing their work unless there are so many you can see your hair looking mangy. Also, some people believe cones keep damage away from the hair so clarifying all the time is not necessary. I recommend you wash with SLS-free shampoo most of the time and use SLS-shampoo when your hair is actually in need of clarifying. It may seem like a small thing but small things add up for the big picture.

missoj
April 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
I think as long as you protect it well enough you should. My best friend and her sister both have about tailbone length hair and they both use straighteners. Their hair has been long all their lives.

PolythenePam
April 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
I'm a 3c and my hair is at waist when straightened. And I do go back and forth between wearing it natural and flat-ironing it. But I only use heat once a week. That's my rule, because I'm pretty sure I'd incur damage if I did it more than that.

I CO wash only. Chucking the shampoo made a huge difference in my hair.

I wouldn't do any straightening until you got the damage and moisture level under control.

silverjen
April 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
It sounds like you've already got some damage going on, unfortunately. At 3b/3c, it sounds like you've got some fabulous curls going on. Have you looked into the Curly Girl method, and if so, what did you think of it?

I think curls are really gorgeous and fun, and if I had any I'd play them up for all they were worth.

Firefox7275
April 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM

Hair is dead, conditioner protects hair it cannot repair damaged hair. If you are straighting from 3b/c and you have thick hair, you must be having to use a lot of heat (time and temperature) to get it straight? If you have damage now it's probably from the flat iron as you aren't chemically treating. Would you be happy with waist length hair that mostly looked like your canopy? :( Is there are reason you don't want to work with the curls instead of fighting against them?

Coan-Teen
April 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
I don't think it's impossible to have long hair while also straightening. I don't think anyone can say for certain whether you can do that because it depends very much on your hair. Some people can do damaging things constantly to his/her hair and have it look fine. Others blowdry once and have to spend a month managing damage. It's very individual. You say you already have some damage so that is a factor and possibly an indicator that your hair is not happy with the straightening.

Have you tried wrapping your hair to straighten it? That might be an alternative way to get the look you prefer without as much damage.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Some hair tolerates flat-ironing better than others. I used to do it only 2-3 times a month at most, and it absolutely trashed my ends. I don't know if it was my technique, a crappy heat protectant spray, the flat iron, or my hair type. Now I have the hair stylist do it once a year or less. I've learned to love my natural wurly texture.

FlowerTwin
April 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, I wash with a SLS-shampoo to get rid of the silicones from the heat protector, ...

Depending on what silicone that's in your heat protection product you might not need a shampoo with SLS. I've seen information stating that PEG-modified Dimethicone and Dimethicone Copolyolcan be washed out with schampoo containing cocamidopropyl betaine or cocobetaine (and is maybe not as harsh as SLS). I don't know how accurate this information is but it could be something for you too research?

IcarusBride
April 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
I never used a straitener, but for what it's worth my hair is 100% virgin and waistlength and I'm /still/ having problems with weakness/brittleness and breakage/splits. I would imagine if I was straitening my hair, it would just crumble off. Of course we may have completely different hair types. I wish you good luck!

julliams
April 2nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
When I was 21, I had longer than waist length hair (almost hip) that I blowdried straight and then used a straightener over that (without ceramic plates and no heat protectant) about every 3 - 4 days. My hair was lovely and looked great. It did have many splits that I S & D'd before I had even heard of S & D. When it came to leaving it natural, I hated it and without this treatment and thought I had frizzy hair in it's natural state. So I can't comment on what it looked like then without all that heat.

The direct answer to your question (if you had my hair) is yes, it is possible to have long hair and heat style it.

Now onto my next comment. I found the CG method and it wasn't for me BUT it did teach me to appreciate what I have and now I actually prefer my hair curly. Having said that, it much more non-predictable now and I have to kind of work with it depending on what it looks like that day. When it was heat-styled and straight it always looked and behaved the same and that made things a little easier BUT if I went anywhere overseas or on holida it made it really difficult to look the way I wanted to since I didn't have my "usual suspects" with me. I also was reluctant to swim and enjoy life that way. I suspect it's a big reason why I'm not that into the outdoors.

If you have tried to love your curls and you don't, then keep with the heat styling, but in my opinion it can hold you back from enjoying the fun things in life because you are worried about your hair being altered from that perfect sleek state.

CurlAhead
April 3rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
hm, i guess it depends on your hair type. i think different hair can handle different things that other people's hair can't handle. maybe you should start off with straightening once a week and see how that works first? :)
i do hear that some people are able to do this, but they also deep condition every week as well

Hmmm, how should I deep condition? I mean, what should I use and for how long? :)

I didn't mean everyday as in washing every day but as in using during every wash. Sorry for the confusion, my bad. :) Even so, I don't think SLS shampoo is necessary during every wash. It does not only get rid of the cones but also of everything else good (sebum, oils, protein...) that is on your hair, thus making it more fragile. The cones will not significantly keep other conditioners from doing their work unless there are so many you can see your hair looking mangy. Also, some people believe cones keep damage away from the hair so clarifying all the time is not necessary. I recommend you wash with SLS-free shampoo most of the time and use SLS-shampoo when your hair is actually in need of clarifying. It may seem like a small thing but small things add up for the big picture.

Okey, I could try to use a sulfate free shampoo until my hair is just nasty from the cones and then use a SLS-shampoo to clarify? Because I have read that you need to clarify after every time you have used silicones, the heatprotector I am using contains at least; cyclopentasiloxane (2nd ingredient), dimenticone, amodimenticone, dimenticonol.....and those are the things I know are silicones.... The whole INCI is;

aqua/water, cyclopentasiloxane, propylene, glycol, hydroxypropyl guar, phenoxythanol, PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimenthicone, behentrimonium chloride, aminomethyl propanol, trideceth-12, polyquaternium-4, xylose, dimenthiconol, limonene, linalool, amodimentichone, carbomer, methylparaben, potato starch modified, buthylparaben ¨methylpropional, citronellol, cetrimonium chloride, citral, laureth-23, laureth-4, hexyl cinnamal, amyl cunnamal, parfum/fragrance

I think as long as you protect it well enough you should. My best friend and her sister both have about tailbone length hair and they both use straighteners. Their hair has been long all their lives.

Is their hair growing or are the ends split and are breaking?

I'm a 3c and my hair is at waist when straightened. And I do go back and forth between wearing it natural and flat-ironing it. But I only use heat once a week. That's my rule, because I'm pretty sure I'd incur damage if I did it more than that.

I CO wash only. Chucking the shampoo made a huge difference in my hair.

I wouldn't do any straightening until you got the damage and moisture level under control.

I don't know how to get the lever under control, I have been trying for several months now : (

It sounds like you've already got some damage going on, unfortunately. At 3b/3c, it sounds like you've got some fabulous curls going on. Have you looked into the Curly Girl method, and if so, what did you think of it?

I think curls are really gorgeous and fun, and if I had any I'd play them up for all they were worth.

I don't quite know what the CG method is, but I can look it up. : ) (If I had gorgeous curls, I would too play them up for all they are worth, but unfortunately I don't : ( )

Hair is dead, conditioner protects hair it cannot repair damaged hair. If you are straighting from 3b/c and you have thick hair, you must be having to use a lot of heat (time and temperature) to get it straight? If you have damage now it's probably from the flat iron as you aren't chemically treating. Would you be happy with waist length hair that mostly looked like your canopy? :( Is there are reason you don't want to work with the curls instead of fighting against them?

I know it cannot repair the hair, but I thought it could make it healthier and prevent the damage. The ghd-flattener I use is actually quite good, and it uses about 356-374 degrees Fahrenheit (according to google converter, but in celsius; 180-190). I take a strand and "straighten" it two times for "poker straight" hair. I have just started using the straightener again, last time I used it was about one month ago, and it was just one time, and then I used it at Christmas last year. I am thinking that if it looks like crap ( :rolleyes: :o ) I might cut it a bit (cut the damage off) and then stop using the straightener.... and work with my curls.

Yes, there is a reason and that is that, first, My hair is cut uneven on one side, i.o.w, it looks really wierd. And it is not a small different, everyone is noticing it. So that side is "puffier", shorter, curlier and just uglier.... Secondly, I don't like my curls atm, I need longer hair to like them, or maybe flatten it so I can at least look at my hair without hating it THAT MUCH. But if I straighten, it might get uglier and more damaged, and if I don't I would feel just as sad about my hair. Tough dilemma...

I don't think it's impossible to have long hair while also straightening. I don't think anyone can say for certain whether you can do that because it depends very much on your hair. Some people can do damaging things constantly to his/her hair and have it look fine. Others blowdry once and have to spend a month managing damage. It's very individual. You say you already have some damage so that is a factor and possibly an indicator that your hair is not happy with the straightening.

Have you tried wrapping your hair to straighten it? That might be an alternative way to get the look you prefer without as much damage.

As I said earlier, I haven't used a straightener that often in about 6 months... So I don't know why my hair is acting this way :( And yes, I have tried wrapping it, but it was SO hard! It just looked wierd, and my hair got all big and still curly! :p:p

Some hair tolerates flat-ironing better than others. I used to do it only 2-3 times a month at most, and it absolutely trashed my ends. I don't know if it was my technique, a crappy heat protectant spray, the flat iron, or my hair type. Now I have the hair stylist do it once a year or less. I've learned to love my natural wurly texture.

Oh, that is sad... I hope that my hair won't get too damaged... : (

Depending on what silicone that's in your heat protection product you might not need a shampoo with SLS. I've seen information stating that PEG-modified Dimethicone and Dimethicone Copolyolcan be washed out with schampoo containing cocamidopropyl betaine or cocobetaine (and is maybe not as harsh as SLS). I don't know how accurate this information is but it could be something for you too research?

I think I need to use a SLS-shampoo, I wrote the INCI earlier....It contains a lot of silicones. But silicones do protect best? Right? :confused:

I never used a straitener, but for what it's worth my hair is 100% virgin and waistlength and I'm /still/ having problems with weakness/brittleness and breakage/splits. I would imagine if I was straitening my hair, it would just crumble off. Of course we may have completely different hair types. I wish you good luck!

Thank you, I hope that my hair will be able to handle it.

When I was 21, I had longer than waist length hair (almost hip) that I blowdried straight and then used a straightener over that (without ceramic plates and no heat protectant) about every 3 - 4 days. My hair was lovely and looked great. It did have many splits that I S & D'd before I had even heard of S & D. When it came to leaving it natural, I hated it and without this treatment and thought I had frizzy hair in it's natural state. So I can't comment on what it looked like then without all that heat.

The direct answer to your question (if you had my hair) is yes, it is possible to have long hair and heat style it.

Now onto my next comment. I found the CG method and it wasn't for me BUT it did teach me to appreciate what I have and now I actually prefer my hair curly. Having said that, it much more non-predictable now and I have to kind of work with it depending on what it looks like that day. When it was heat-styled and straight it always looked and behaved the same and that made things a little easier BUT if I went anywhere overseas or on holida it made it really difficult to look the way I wanted to since I didn't have my "usual suspects" with me. I also was reluctant to swim and enjoy life that way. I suspect it's a big reason why I'm not that into the outdoors.

If you have tried to love your curls and you don't, then keep with the heat styling, but in my opinion it can hold you back from enjoying the fun things in life because you are worried about your hair being altered from that perfect sleek state.

Thank you for sharing, I don't mind my hair being a little wavy from the moisture in the air, I just don't like my curls as they are when they have just been really wet..... We don't have any beaches here so I don't bath a lot outside, and we have like "baths" where I usually go to and there you can fix your hair afterwards...

CurlAhead
April 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Okay, I have one little question...... I think that my hair is in need of moisture, but I STILL DON'T KNOW how to "give it" to my hair. I add glycerin to all my conditioners but it doesn't seem to help, is there something that is just plain moisture? (because glycerin is to "lock" the water in/on the hair, right?)

HintOfMint
April 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Okay, I have one little question...... I think that my hair is in need of moisture, but I STILL DON'T KNOW how to "give it" to my hair. I add glycerin to all my conditioners but it doesn't seem to help, is there something that is just plain moisture? (because glycerin is to "lock" the water in/on the hair, right?)

Glycerin actually "attracts" the moisture from the air into your hair, oils/silicones lock in whatever moisture you already have in your hair. Be careful though, in dry weather, glycerin will suck the moisture out of your hair and put it in the air instead of the other way around.
Just plain moisture is water. Moisturized hair means hair that has some water content to keep it supple. Glycerin (a humectant) helps get it there, and oils/silicones and the like help lock it in by sealing the hair cuticle.
Also, your conditioners may already have humectants, so the extra glycerin isn't helping. Also you rinse out your conditioner, so it's not staying on your hair to do anything extra.
Hope this was helpful!

sarahbrownie
April 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I love straightening my hair but I have to make some compromises so my hair continues to grow. In the beginning I trashed my ends and got the "white dots of doom" WAY too often.

- I feel using cones helps tremulously.
- A good heat protectant spray, I use Tresemme, and it's pretty good, non-sticky, and light. It makes my hair feel so great!
- I use the lowest heat setting on the iron.
- I iron my hair once a week. I don't wash my hair for three days and use a dry shampoo if my roots is feeling a little greasy.
- Just going to have to accept the "white dots of doom" will be an occurrence, but you can cut it down this way.

I would love to do a Brazilian Blow Out, unfortunately after some research I found that there are so many people who had bad experiences and the use of formaldehyde is a turn off. I've just accepted that straight hair comes with a price.

Figure out if your hair like protein, coconut oil might be your best bet. If not, try a SMT. :D

Nevvie
April 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I thought I'd have to stop straightening to get my hair past the patchy, uneven, upper bsl it had been stuck at for years. I tried getting used to the curls (hated it), fan straightening (not bad but still too wavy for my liking and it takes sooo long for me), wrapping (still can't get it right), large rollers (great for wavy but not quite straight), blow drying straight on cold (frizz city!), brushing it out as it dries (still wavy and prob does more damage than the iron) and even bunning/braiding (pulls alot of the curl out but still leaves very deep waves behind). Those are all great things to try but none worked very well for me :(

Finally I gave up on giving up the straightening iron and just really focused on moisturizing and protecting. I usually bun and blow dry on cold temp/low speed to get most of the curl out before straightening (less swipes, less damage). I tossed out my old straightener and bought a new one that is supposed to cause less damage. It also has has temperature adjust so I turn it down as low as I can while still getting results (300-340 for me) and try to minimize how much the iron touches my ends. I read a few months ago that hair is damaged the most above 180C (356F) so I try to keep it lower than that. I still get damage I'm sure but the lower temp has made a huge difference vs what my hair looked like when I'd use to crank it up to 400-450F. I try to only straighten after a wash and try to only wash 1-2 times per week, though I'm not sure I can keep that up once summer arrives. My hair will usually only stay straight the first day or two but a tiny bit of wave doesn't bother me.

I also condition the heck out of my hair now and it's responded very well. Before every wash I cake on the oils. Then after an hour or so I add a deep conditioner on top of that (helps pull out the oil) and wait another 30 min. Wash with a very mild shampoo then condition again. Sometimes I'll even condition twice. Then after rinsing I lightly add more conditioner to my damp hair and leave it in. About every other day I spray a little leave in in my hair and touch up the ends lightly with regular conditioner again. I'll let it air dry for a bit then add the heat protector, bun, dry and straighten. I also do a beer or acv rinse a couple times a month and do an overnight deep condition or oiling once a month or so. It's alot of work but it's paid off - my hair feels amazing compared to the dry mess it used to be and the damage from straightening is slowing down. I'd still be better off not using the iron obviously, but I've managed to get my hair fairly healthy, evened out and to about lower bsl so far.

Whether any of that would work for you I can't say. But it is possible for some people to grow long hair and still straighten. I'm hoping my routine will allow me to grow my hair to hip but only time will tell. Good luck finding something that works for you :)

ElusiveMuse
April 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I had tailbone length hair and flat ironed after every wash, several times per week. It was thin but looked okay. It does look better now that I work with its natural texture more, though.

CurlAhead
April 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Glycerin actually "attracts" the moisture from the air into your hair, oils/silicones lock in whatever moisture you already have in your hair. Be careful though, in dry weather, glycerin will suck the moisture out of your hair and put it in the air instead of the other way around.
Just plain moisture is water. Moisturized hair means hair that has some water content to keep it supple. Glycerin (a humectant) helps get it there, and oils/silicones and the like help lock it in by sealing the hair cuticle.
Also, your conditioners may already have humectants, so the extra glycerin isn't helping. Also you rinse out your conditioner, so it's not staying on your hair to do anything extra.
Hope this was helpful!

It sure was, thank you. It has never been clear to me, but now I think it is.. Since I use silicones after I have washed my hair, it isn't that big of a deal to just, not pay as much attention to the glycerin, and I should maybe just put some silicones in my wet hair after the shower? To lock the moisture in? :confused:

I love straightening my hair but I have to make some compromises so my hair continues to grow. In the beginning I trashed my ends and got the "white dots of doom" WAY too often.

- I feel using cones helps tremulously.
- A good heat protectant spray, I use Tresemme, and it's pretty good, non-sticky, and light. It makes my hair feel so great!
- I use the lowest heat setting on the iron.
- I iron my hair once a week. I don't wash my hair for three days and use a dry shampoo if my roots is feeling a little greasy.
- Just going to have to accept the "white dots of doom" will be an occurrence, but you can cut it down this way.

I would love to do a Brazilian Blow Out, unfortunately after some research I found that there are so many people who had bad experiences and the use of formaldehyde is a turn off. I've just accepted that straight hair comes with a price.

Figure out if your hair like protein, coconut oil might be your best bet. If not, try a SMT. :D

I am trying to use heat as seldom as possible, but with all the heatprotector and another spray to help me detangle my hair (also contains silicones but smells sooooo good, tresemme does as well....if it just contains silicones and NO mineraloils I might use it sometimes, already have it at home) my hair feels greasy very quickly, but I don't know if that is what is called "soft and shiny", my hair is always "crispy", so to me it feels greasy..
I would also like to do a brazilian blow out, but I, just like you, read about that formaldehyde, and I was like...No... But I think you can do some kind of keratin treatment, haven't looked it up yet though. I am using some protein, sometimes my hair is okay with it and sometimes it just gets all..weird, but I don't know, my hair is (as I said) always "crispy"... I use coconut oil as well sometimes, but I never seem to be able to use a little :p I end up looking like a bag from mcdonald's :p

I thought I'd have to stop straightening to get my hair past the patchy, uneven, upper bsl it had been stuck at for years. I tried getting used to the curls (hated it), fan straightening (not bad but still too wavy for my liking and it takes sooo long for me), wrapping (still can't get it right), large rollers (great for wavy but not quite straight), blow drying straight on cold (frizz city!), brushing it out as it dries (still wavy and prob does more damage than the iron) and even bunning/braiding (pulls alot of the curl out but still leaves very deep waves behind). Those are all great things to try but none worked very well for me :(

Finally I gave up on giving up the straightening iron and just really focused on moisturizing and protecting. I usually bun and blow dry on cold temp/low speed to get most of the curl out before straightening (less swipes, less damage). I tossed out my old straightener and bought a new one that is supposed to cause less damage. It also has has temperature adjust so I turn it down as low as I can while still getting results (300-340 for me) and try to minimize how much the iron touches my ends. I read a few months ago that hair is damaged the most above 180C (356F) so I try to keep it lower than that. I still get damage I'm sure but the lower temp has made a huge difference vs what my hair looked like when I'd use to crank it up to 400-450F. I try to only straighten after a wash and try to only wash 1-2 times per week, though I'm not sure I can keep that up once summer arrives. My hair will usually only stay straight the first day or two but a tiny bit of wave doesn't bother me.

I also condition the heck out of my hair now and it's responded very well. Before every wash I cake on the oils. Then after an hour or so I add a deep conditioner on top of that (helps pull out the oil) and wait another 30 min. Wash with a very mild shampoo then condition again. Sometimes I'll even condition twice. Then after rinsing I lightly add more conditioner to my damp hair and leave it in. About every other day I spray a little leave in in my hair and touch up the ends lightly with regular conditioner again. I'll let it air dry for a bit then add the heat protector, bun, dry and straighten. I also do a beer or acv rinse a couple times a month and do an overnight deep condition or oiling once a month or so. It's alot of work but it's paid off - my hair feels amazing compared to the dry mess it used to be and the damage from straightening is slowing down. I'd still be better off not using the iron obviously, but I've managed to get my hair fairly healthy, evened out and to about lower bsl so far.

Whether any of that would work for you I can't say. But it is possible for some people to grow long hair and still straighten. I'm hoping my routine will allow me to grow my hair to hip but only time will tell. Good luck finding something that works for you :)

I recognize the first part so well, all of it! I have now started to put my hair in a low ponytail with heatprotector in it when it is still wet before I go to bed to make it dry that way (so my hair won't be as curly = less use of heat I guess). I am glad that you have found something that works for your hair, do you use any special products? I feel that nothing I use is "strong" enough... :( However, thank you for the tip, I will try that one with the oils and adding deep conditioner on top of it! :)

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I also have a ghd flat iron.. and you know they say its the best for you hair.. i dont care who you are.. it doesnt matter a flat iron is a flat iron and they all will ruin your hair eventually.. my goal is to grow my hair out long and beautiful and only flat iron if im going out some where and i will then take progress pics. im about to have my mom hide my flat iron and blow dryer... just to make sure i dont use them.. and she really wont give them to me even if i ask her to.. the only reason i got it back the first time i asked her to hide them is because i searched and searched for my flat iron.. it was horrible.. i wish i wouldnt have found it.. but going on 2 weeks without flat ironing!

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I know it cannot repair the hair, but I thought it could make it healthier and prevent the damage. The ghd-flattener I use is actually quite good, and it uses about 356-374 degrees Fahrenheit (according to google converter, but in celsius; 180-190). I take a strand and "straighten" it two times for "poker straight" hair. I have just started using the straightener again, last time I used it was about one month ago, and it was just one time, and then I used it at Christmas last year. I am thinking that if it looks like crap ( :rolleyes: :o ) I might cut it a bit (cut the damage off) and then stop using the straightener.... and work with my curls.

Yes, there is a reason and that is that, first, My hair is cut uneven on one side, i.o.w, it looks really wierd. And it is not a small different, everyone is noticing it. So that side is "puffier", shorter, curlier and just uglier.... Secondly, I don't like my curls atm, I need longer hair to like them, or maybe flatten it so I can at least look at my hair without hating it THAT MUCH. But if I straighten, it might get uglier and more damaged, and if I don't I would feel just as sad about my hair. Tough dilemma...

If your hair is uneven may get a small trim to even it up? It seems sad to risk damaging your whole head of hair just to save an inch at one side which you will have cut eventually anyway. You can also even up the curl by leaving one side to air dry with product on and clipping or scrunching the other. Do you hate your curls because you don't know how to control them or because you hate curly hair on you? I hated my waves until a couple of weeks ago because it always looked uneven and poofy!! It was only this thread that made me change, because my hair looks EXACTLY like some of the 'before' photographs! :p
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html

If you prefer to straighten I posted these on another thread, you might find them helpful :)
http://www.aad.org/stories-and-news/...d-damaged-hair
http://www.hairfree.bz/Article.pdf

ooo
April 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Sure you can. It probably won't look as nice and you might not even reach your goal length due to the breakage, but it's not impossible.

Lianna
April 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Where I live there's a lot of women with long (bsl-waist average) with heat styled hair.

FlowerTwin
April 4th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I think I need to use a SLS-shampoo, I wrote the INCI earlier....It contains a lot of silicones. But silicones do protect best? Right? :confused:

Yes, with those silicones you do. But silicone is the best protection against heat. I hope you'll be happy with your straigth hair. :)

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I have now started to put my hair in a low ponytail with heatprotector in it when it is still wet before I go to bed to make it dry that way (so my hair won't be as curly = less use of heat I guess). I am glad that you have found something that works for your hair, do you use any special products? I feel that nothing I use is "strong" enough... :( However, thank you for the tip, I will try that one with the oils and adding deep conditioner on top of it! :)

I ponytailed my hair wet for many years with the aim of controlling my waves without heat. But please be careful - I have enough broken hairs at the back for a new hairdresser to notice, and whole strands of breaks around the face and neck. I've obviously lost thickness which is what brought me to LHC. :( I find terry bands more gentle than the no-snag ones and I didn't have a silk pillowcase then, maybe you do?

Avital88
April 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM
my experience is No you cant get long hair and using straightners , at least if u are a frequent user your hair will break and thin and split faster.
I quit straightening because of that happening, now my hair is groing twice as fast and i need less trims..

knoxkatie
April 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM
It was only this thread that made me change, because my hair looks EXACTLY like some of the 'before' photographs! :p
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html

If you prefer to straighten I posted these on another thread, you might find them helpful :)

Thank you for that link, Firefox. My hair looks like some of the wavy "befores" on here so I am going to consider trying this method.

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thank you for that link, Firefox. My hair looks like some of the wavy "befores" on here so I am going to consider trying this method.

You are welcome! :) Hopefully us 'new' wavies and curlies can help each other out!

Miss Catrina
April 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM
It's not like straightening will stop your hair from growing. I think really all heat styling means is you need to take extra measures to ensure healthy hair in spite of it. Since you're using a heat protectant and especially since you're only doing it once or twice a week, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I'd be careful to use the lowest heat setting possible, keep up split end hunts, and oil/deep condition regularly to prevent fried ends. I don't think you have much to worry about.

<3OnHerSleeve
April 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Honestly, depending on whether you dye/bleach your hair, it will just add to the damage. My hair used to fall out in torrents when I straightened it. Not to mention when I curl or straighten it once in a blue moon, nearly every single strand of hair afterwards has split ends.

SpeakingEZ
April 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Straightening made my hair lose length, to be honest. When I started straightening, I had hip-length hair. It was really dry and wavy/frizzy so I used the straightener to tame it 3-4 times a week. Within two years, my hair had broken to bsl/ waist. And it got frizzier because the iron was drying my hair out, which made me want to use it more. Then, I realized, it had hit a point where I could not straighten it to a point of looking good anymore. That's when I put the iron down for good.

What to know the funniest part? Now that I've been heat-free for over a year (and giving it plenty of oil and conditioner), my hair is straighter than it's been my entire life. I guess all it really needed to begin with was love.

UltraBella
April 4th, 2011, 10:47 PM
My hair has been long for years and until last year I used heat religiously. At least three or four times a week. My hair has always been very healthy. So, yes, certain individuals can easily grow hair long and still use heat, I will even admit to bleaching in highlights and dying my hair as well. But, not everyone is as fortunate and you have to be careful.

Dragon
April 4th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I think it really depends on your hair type. My hair use to be blow dried and straightened once a week every week for 6 month and every time I brushed my apl hair, my shorts would be covered in hair. I had almost no breakage before. And my hair was virgin.

CurlAhead
April 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I also have a ghd flat iron.. and you know they say its the best for you hair.. i dont care who you are.. it doesnt matter a flat iron is a flat iron and they all will ruin your hair eventually.. my goal is to grow my hair out long and beautiful and only flat iron if im going out some where and i will then take progress pics. im about to have my mom hide my flat iron and blow dryer... just to make sure i dont use them.. and she really wont give them to me even if i ask her to.. the only reason i got it back the first time i asked her to hide them is because i searched and searched for my flat iron.. it was horrible.. i wish i wouldnt have found it.. but going on 2 weeks without flat ironing!

At the moment, not even the flat iron can make my hair look good so I think I will stop use it for a while, just use it on special occasions. For now I just put it up and deal with it or I try to make a cute hairstyle without heat..... :rolleyes:

If your hair is uneven may get a small trim to even it up? It seems sad to risk damaging your whole head of hair just to save an inch at one side which you will have cut eventually anyway. You can also even up the curl by leaving one side to air dry with product on and clipping or scrunching the other. Do you hate your curls because you don't know how to control them or because you hate curly hair on you? I hated my waves until a couple of weeks ago because it always looked uneven and poofy!! It was only this thread that made me change, because my hair looks EXACTLY like some of the 'before' photographs! :p

I have now got a trim, not so small though : -( I hope it will grow out fast, but my hair is not known for growing quickly, so yeah.... I don't like curly hair on me, or well.... I don't like the shape of my hair right now, because when it is all air dried (without braids) it shapes up like a "ball" on my head, and my hair needs to be at at least waist to be the least pretty or manageable.. I don't quite know what the CG-method it, even though I have tried looking it up. Thought it was the same as the CO-method?

I ponytailed my hair wet for many years with the aim of controlling my waves without heat. But please be careful - I have enough broken hairs at the back for a new hairdresser to notice, and whole strands of breaks around the face and neck. I've obviously lost thickness which is what brought me to LHC. :( I find terry bands more gentle than the no-snag ones and I didn't have a silk pillowcase then, maybe you do?

Did you get all that breakage from ponytailing your hair?? :bigeyes:

my experience is No you cant get long hair and using straightners , at least if u are a frequent user your hair will break and thin and split faster.
I quit straightening because of that happening, now my hair is groing twice as fast and i need less trims..

Worth thinking about, of course... : /

It's not like straightening will stop your hair from growing. I think really all heat styling means is you need to take extra measures to ensure healthy hair in spite of it. Since you're using a heat protectant and especially since you're only doing it once or twice a week, I really wouldn't worry about it.

I'd be careful to use the lowest heat setting possible, keep up split end hunts, and oil/deep condition regularly to prevent fried ends. I don't think you have much to worry about.

Thank you, I have decided to not even use it every week....

Straightening made my hair lose length, to be honest. When I started straightening, I had hip-length hair. It was really dry and wavy/frizzy so I used the straightener to tame it 3-4 times a week. Within two years, my hair had broken to bsl/ waist. And it got frizzier because the iron was drying my hair out, which made me want to use it more. Then, I realized, it had hit a point where I could not straighten it to a point of looking good anymore. That's when I put the iron down for good.

What to know the funniest part? Now that I've been heat-free for over a year (and giving it plenty of oil and conditioner), my hair is straighter than it's been my entire life. I guess all it really needed to begin with was love.

But if I only had hip-lenght hair I wouldn't straighten it! Why don't I have long hair? :p : -( Guess I will never get it if I use the straightener all the time...
What did you do to get it straighter?

My hair has been long for years and until last year I used heat religiously. At least three or four times a week. My hair has always been very healthy. So, yes, certain individuals can easily grow hair long and still use heat, I will even admit to bleaching in highlights and dying my hair as well. But, not everyone is as fortunate and you have to be careful.

I would be so lucky if I could do that as well!

I think it really depends on your hair type. My hair use to be blow dried and straightened once a week every week for 6 month and every time I brushed my apl hair, my shorts would be covered in hair. I had almost no breakage before. And my hair was virgin.

Oh, that is sad.... I hope my hair will at least take the heat twice a month? : -(

celebriangel
April 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I must admit that if you are seeing damage, then it is probably due to the straighteners. But that's okay! You have learned that, unlike some people on this thread, you cannot achieve long, healthy hair with regular straightening - at least not with your current routine. It's possible that, if you grow and cut out the damage, start off with healthy virgin hair, and start babying it like crazy/deep-oiling all the time/using tons of leave-ins/avoiding mechanical damage, you will be able to straighten healthy hair and get it to stay healthy.

However. You hair is damaged now, and if you want to rehabilitate it at all to a level you'll be happy with, you really need to put down the flat iron until all of your hair is healthy. Damaged hair needs mega-babying, and the flat iron, honestly, doesn't come under that description at all.

Additionally, my hair is pretty curly - I'm struggling with my LHC definition, and think it might be 2c - but anyway most people, when asked, describe my hair as 'curly' over 'wavy', so let's go with 2c. My hair used to be frizzy, coarse, everywhere; however, I switched recently to the LHC methods of CWC (leaving on the first C for ages, the second C is actually a commercial deep treatment thing that I use every wash), leave-ins, oiling, and putting it up all the time, my curls have become smooth, silky and defined. It's the extra weight of the moisture/oil, as well as the fact that with my hair long the weight keeps it from poofing ridiculously.

It's worth a try. I also find that nature gave me precisely the curls which suit my round, plump face, which no amount of styling/straightening/fashionable cuts would achieve. Just a thought.