PDA

View Full Version : condition all the hair anybody?

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I condition all my hair from top to bottom, could this stop growth?

I read somewhere that it can block the roots or something, is this true?

I did only used to condition from the ears down but my hair feels better doing it all

AJoifulNoise
March 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I condition the whole lot every day. Still getting 1" a month... I don't think that's true. At least, not for me.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM
My scalp gets itchy if I put conditioner on it too many times in a row. So I stopped CO and I only condition the length.

capelli lunghi
March 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I put conditioner on heavily on my length.. after that I just use what is on my hand and smooth it over my scalp hair.. just over my hair, though.. I don't put my fingers in to my scalp.. If that makes sense.. lol

psvzum
March 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I condition it all and it hasn't impeded my growth.;)

Wanita
March 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I put conditioner on heavily on my length.. after that I just use what is on my hand and smooth it over my scalp hair.. just over my hair, though.. I don't put my fingers in to my scalp.. If that makes sense.. lol

That's exactly what I do. :)

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I shed awful if I put conditioner on my scalp more than once or twice a month, so I only condition the length.

chloeishere
March 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
That's exactly what I do. :)

Me three. :D That way I get conditioner on most to all my hair, without overconditioning my scalp.

eadwine
March 12th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I condition the whole head twice a week, works just fine for me :)

Carolyn
March 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Since I CO most of the time I'd count myself one that conditioners every inch. If I don't put conditioner all over my hair I have tangles that are difficult to work out. If my scalp gets a little itchy I do a CWC or WC with a tea tree shampoo. Works well for me.

Mahars
March 13th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Me three. :D That way I get conditioner on most to all my hair, without overconditioning my scalp.

Me four. I also comb through the length with a wide-tooth comb. Prolly not the best idea but it seems to spready better that way.

Iylivarae
March 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I condition from the ear down, otherwise my hair just sticks to my head, if I do it from the ears down, I still have volume.

purplebubba
March 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
"I condition every inch of my hair"

I use both shampoo and conditioner from scalp to tips but I only wash 1-2 times per month.

paradoxx
March 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I condition all of it.

TheSpottedCow
March 13th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Well, when I CO i definately condition the whole thing. When I use a shampoo I start a few inches from the roots, just because I ususally use a heavier condish. after a 'poo which I don't really need on my scalp since I produce enough oil. But yes, I often condition it all and my growth rate isn't affected by what I wash with.

Leisha
March 14th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I put conditioner on from about the ears down, but I usually put my hair in a bun on top of my head then for a while why the conditioner does its thing, so I'm sure some of it seeps down onto my scalp where the bun is. Doesn't seem to be a problem :)

Billie
March 14th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I use conditioner from the neck down, otherwise it gets all greasy. My scalp flourishes with as little product as possible.

AprilElf
March 14th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I voted for the first option.
I CWC once a week. I apply the first conditioner from the ears down, and the second conditioner all over (but only lightly on the scalp).

:)

zift
March 14th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I selected condition every inch of hair but it depends. If I'M doing a CWC I apply the first conditioner to all my hair but the last coney conditioner goes below my ears. Also when I CO ,I do a twp step process. First I do scalp+length with a non-cone conditioner than finish with a coney conditioner ears down.

shrimp
March 14th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I condition all the way as I'm CO. Sometimes lighter conditioner, sometimes intensive, sometimes I use a lighter one first then an intensive one from ears down. Generally though I just go for the one step so it's the same conditioner all the way down.
I think I shampoo about two or three times a year, and always regret it afterwards :silly:

I oil only from about ears down though.

Pixel Gypsy
March 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Ears down for me. I have quite a bit of natural oil production and very fine hair (just a whole lot of it!), so conditioner near my scalp just obliterates any chance of volume at the roots.

psychosister
March 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
ears down for me. otherwise, my hair would look like a greaseball.

mugglemomof3
March 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Man oh man! I have to put conditioner on every inch of my my hair or I could never ever comb it! I only comb in the shower, and only when my hair is covered with super-moisturizing conditioner.

I CO. Sometimes every day, sometimes I can go a few days between rinses. :cheese:

Mai
March 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Another full coverage of condishead here ;)

pariate
March 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I voted for ears down, but I do use conditioner on the hair around the edges - temples, forehead, nape of neck etc. I've got quite a bit of new growth, it's only an inch long in some places! I want to keep that conditioned and protected so that it continues to grow :D

ncurls
March 14th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I condition all of my hair, because I generally CO. Then after I rinse, I condition the ends.

Paniscus
March 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I alternate between WO/CO and shampoo, but when I use CO, I use it all over.

Nightshade
March 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
LOL methinks this poll would have been more accurate if so many people here didn't CO :grin:

I do CWC, conditioner from the ears down, shampoo on the scalp.

saracuda
March 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm an ears down conditioner and a scalp only washer.

Rain
March 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have curly hair that tends to be dry and I live in a dry climate so I condition all of it. Hasn't impeded my growth so far. I get the same 9" or so a year I've had my whole life.

OhioLisa
March 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Yeah, what she said. :D

khyricat
March 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I am one of the no conditioner votes... I use a hibiscus tea leave in that moisturizes and occasionally some extra oil on the length, but no conditioner.

When I did use conditioner if even a tiny bit hit my scalp I'd lose a ton of hair, so this works better for me.

MadHatter
March 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I condition from ears down.

Starr
March 14th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I put conditioner on the entire length of my hair from root to tip. I tried from the ears down before, but I was left with conditioned ends and dry puffy roots- not a good look.

MadPirateBippy
March 14th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I condition ears down first, then I plop on top of my head and make sure the top gets some as well.

So, I guess I extra condition the length?

Buddaphlyy
March 15th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I condition everything, every time.

Gumball
March 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
It's one choice or no choice, so I couldn't put one. Usually I'm water-only, but when the mood strikes me I'll condition from the length down. Once in a while when I feel my scalp needs a little extra oomph for some cleansing I condition all my hair and make sure to get the scalp, too. So I guess my answer is a little of this, a little of that. No one ingredient in this meal. :)

Iona
March 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Everything always gets a *very* good coat of conditioner. I find my hair is much easier to live with that way.

xrosiex
March 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I condition every inch everytime.:)

Darian Moone
March 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I condition the whole head but I do put a heavier coating from about the ears down.

wintersun99
March 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM
right now, I have to condition every inch of my hair, but as it grows and the damage grows out, I hope to get back to conditioning from ears down.

MeMyselfandI
March 16th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I voted "i condition from the ears down ".

I did it that way for as long as I remember, until very recently when I started colouring my hair. It felt like straw. I needed heavy amounts of conditioner to be able to even get my fingers into it.

Of course any conditioner on my scalp left my hair feeling dirty and flat on my fine hair. I am doing henna now and going back to the ears down again. At least my hair looks cleaner this way for more then a few hours as when I put conditoner all over.

I only wash my scalp.

lavenderblue
March 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I condition from the ears down, if I get the conditioner on my scalp I get little zits on my scalp

Jeep Girl
March 16th, 2008, 07:11 AM
In general I condition from the ears down because I only shampoo twice a week or so. I do have to put conditioner on my hairs at the nape of my neck because of birds nest tangles.

harley mama
March 16th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I CO the whole mess and I use a ton of conditioner when I do. Since it is the only product I use besides EO I am OK with using massive amounts to clean/detangle.

Gutterfayrie
March 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I condition every inch of my hair

Soraya
March 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I voted for conditioning from the ears down. That's what I did when I actually had hair below my ears :D Now it's an all or nothing -situation, so I just try not to get too much on my scalp; it gets really itchy and gunky with condish. (Too bad, because my hair really loved COing.)

Alva
March 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I condition only the length, if I put it on my scalp it gets all itchy, shampoo just works way better for me to wash with. I never use shampoo on my length though.

Carina
March 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I put conditioner on my whole length but not on my scalp.:p

AnneAdeline
March 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I just pull my hair back as if to make a low pony then pull conditioner down the length.

MerryKat
March 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I follow the NW / WO routine, so I never condition.

Dacia
March 17th, 2008, 03:59 AM
From the ears down or only the last inches, after last year shedding I've decided to keep conditioners and oils away from my scalp.

Sarahmoon
March 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I condition from my ears down. I never tried to condition all my hair, actually.

Alaia
March 17th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I slather conditioner heavily from the ears down (my hair really needs it), and simply smooth a little on the hair on my head. I find it helps with the frizzies.

My hair seems to grow normally so I haven't noticed any bad effects.

thunderlilies
March 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I condition all my hair too. It just feels better somehow... like it's getting a drink, or something, lol1

Kirin
March 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM
i stopped conditioning all together and my shed stopped. I only loose a few hairs a day, though i still use a leave in and oil.

Masara
March 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I do CWC. The first conditioner only goes on the ends, the second goes all over my head but like many other people here, I don't massage it into my scalp. I sometimes get really enthusiastic and recondition from the ears down which means that my scalp is very well rinsed and my length very conditioned.

peachy.pudding
March 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I dont think i have ever heard of conditioner stopping growt, however if your worried you should try every second wash without putting conditioner on the scalp.

Personally i use conditioner on my scalp every 4 to 5 washes. The other washes i use conditioner on the length only.

Unnamed
March 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
I didn't vote, as I condition from about shoulder-blade on down (no higher than shoulders, and sometimes I just do waist/tailbone on), and periodically I don't use any. Higher than shoulder length, and I can't easily wash out even the lightest conditioner, which is why I start lower.

Right now it's just a bit of conditioner (and then oil) from shoulder-blade on down after hair has stopped dripping from being washed (just scalp, but I do get all my hair wet).

2littlebirds
April 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I condition from the ears down.

Elizabeth
April 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I CO most of the time, so I end up conditioning all of it. I’ve never had trouble with it growing.

I’ve seen some people mention that their scalp gets itchy with CO, which is funny, because I’m just the opposite. I have less trouble with itchy scalp and oil when I CO. We are all different!

Stacy_E
April 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I condition all of my hair, though when I am putting on a particularly thick conditioner like Biolage Conditioning Balm, I will apply a much heavier concentration on the ends, then the length, and any remaining on my hands I will smooth over my hair closer to my scalp.

CO washing works well for me, which of course applies conditioner to all of the hair.

Irishred
April 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM

I do this to :D If I don't I get a horrible halo kinda like this ->:silly:

atina
August 15th, 2009, 06:17 AM
i do exactly the same because i worry about getting greasy roots.

Rhiannon7
August 17th, 2009, 06:26 PM
i condition every inch of my hair, always have, always will. if i don't my crown hair stands up and revolts, breaks and tangles madly. so to avoid any evil manifestations of my hair i drench it in conditioner, and allow it to soak for a few minutes then rinse gently. it is the only way i can avoid the dreaded breaks and evil tangles that cause me to break out the scissors to deal with the tangles. very bad when i end up having to give myself layers to get rid of tangles.

Naamah
August 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I do CO, so I condition everything including my scalp. It seems to work fine for me.

dernhelm
August 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM
:couch: I missed the poll, but....

I condition ALL of my hairs :D

GlassEyes
August 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Every inch of my hair gets CO'ed, even with my second, heavier C.

dawnss
August 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I condition all my hair from top to bottom, could this stop growth?

I read somewhere that it can block the roots or something, is this true?

I did only used to condition from the ears down but my hair feels better doing it all
It only does if you do not rinse your scalp out all the way.

Alun
August 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Can't remember which way I voted, but I don't seem to have posted. I condition the ends, but I also use a little conditioner around the temples. I think we had a thread some time ago where several people said they did the same, but it's not an option in the poll.

Angharad
August 19th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I condition my hair and scalp, but I still take extra care of the lenghts (they are pampered with more conditioner than my scalp).

Nanni
August 19th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I smooth contitioner over the top of my head and down the lenght and heavy on the ends. I don't rub it on my scalp. It makes me itch and shed more