PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Oils & Conditioning

xoerincolleen
April 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
I just starting washing my hair with CO very recently, and am wondering if anyone has any product recommendations. I have seen a lot of posts about using coconut oil and olive oil to condition...does any one have any advice as far as what works best? My ends are pretty dry and I'm looking to get them smoother and my hair shinier. My hair is pretty thick and seems more prone to frizz since starting the CO routine. Any help would be appreciated!

annsue83
April 2nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
recently i have started CO washes once a week too. It is doing a lot of great things for my hair...it is definitely a lot less drier and frizzier!! but as the time between washes increases it does tend to get drier so i've started applying jojoba oil to my ends regularly. i mix the jojoba oil with a few drops of grapefruit oil and apply this to my ends whenever they start feeling dry. i guess your choice of conditioner would also make a lot of difference.

MoonlightShadow
April 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
product recommendations??? hmm, i hear alot of people say that white rain is good =D i also hear people say that V05 is pretty good too

longcurlygirl<3
April 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Vo5 & suave are great for co-washing [since they are cheap and have good slip!]
as for the smoothest you want in your hair i recommend using coconut or olive oil a night before basically oiling your hair before you shampoo and then start of with co-washing it makes my hair softer! :) plus do some good deep conditioner and you'll see the difference

krissykins
April 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Advice on oils? Start with olive oil if that's what you happen to have around. Most people use it to cook, so it's a good place to start.

If you don't have either of them, I say go for coconut oil. Look for the "virgin" or "unrefined" labels. I found my virgin coconut oil at a health food store.

Firefox7275
April 2nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Maybe you are rinsing too thoroughly? Otherwise you could dilute some of the conditioner and use it as a leave-on for any dry/ frizzy areas.

xoerincolleen
April 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone!
I got some coconut oil at the store today and will try using a deep conditioner as well as the conditioner that I use to wash. :)

shikara
April 3rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
As far as oils go, it may be a little trial and error as different oils etc affect people's hair differently as does the amount you put on. I'm liking olive oil quite a bit for the length, shea butter was a no-go, I like castor oil on my scalp (even if it is a little sticky, it seems to do the best job for me), and am going to try Aloe Vera next. Although I don't have frizzy hair, I do have parts underneath that can get that way. I find that damp bunning alleviates that and also keeps my hair sooooo soft and easy to comb through. Some people like to shampoo and condish once a week while COing the rest of the time. Finding the right oil can make SOOO much difference. There is a conditioning only thread here too - use the 'search' function to find out more about what people are doing when different problems arise. Good luck!