PDA

View Full Version : Can you comment on how and why you daily condition?

shikara
April 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
I'm considering doing this - at least on my bottom 8 inches or so. I would like to see how this compares to the small amount of oil I use. Don't really want to wet the whole thing and detangle/comb it all out, but am thinking of leaning over the tub with hand held shower type of thing and just doing this length. What results have you seen? What do you use? How long do you leave it in? etc etc:) Any info you can think of!

annsue83
April 2nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
i am a bit confused....do you want to just condition your ends without wetting all of your hair? i have never tried that before but sometimes i do tie my hair up and just wash my scalp with shampoo leaning over the sink and that way my ends stay looking moisturized and not dried up by all that washing

shikara
April 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well what I am thinking of doing (since my hair tangles so easily and my buns are near the top of my head anyway) is leaning over the tub to wet the length for a daily condition - not a wash. Apply the conditioner. In times like these, if I'm leaving the conditioner on for a lengthier time, I also am not hopping in and out of the shower. I can just lean over the tub and rinse the conditioner out. Someone here said they wash once a week but condition daily and that is the type of regimen I'm considering.

bella77
April 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
I condition almost daily, unless because of the kids I do not get to shower that day. I only wash twice a week. I mainly condition because my hair is only APL right now, if I have bunned it, I have to re-wet or else it it crazy kinked because of the bunning. It does not come out in perfect lovely waves, but in weird curls and bends. I could just rewet it and let it be, sometimes I will use a spritzer bottle to do this, but I like to condition every chance I get since my hair tends to get dry and then frizzy. I think a lot of people condition daily to help with tangles and moisture.

Sweetie
April 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I have never considered doing this, but sounds interesting - i stay tuned for more comments...

jojo
April 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I co wash for 6 days and just shampoo for one and it works wonderfully for my hair. My hair is in much better condition since doing this and the results where immediate!

Firefox7275
April 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Your hair is most vulnerable to damage when it's wet - why not use a leave-in conditioner rather than a full wet? You can buy a spray on or make up your own with whatever you usually use diluted.

haibane
April 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
I started out doing this, but quickly switched to just misting my hair with water and a tiny bit of conditioner (and some oil) instead. Same effect but it's much easier and faster, and the hair dries again much faster.

MoonlightShadow
April 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
i condition daily...my hair has a tendency to be dry :'(
i wash my hair sometimes twice a week, but mainly once a week.

shikara
April 3rd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Did you start daily conditioning mainly to keep shampoo off the top of your head, or was your main concern to not have any running down your length? Both?

bella77
April 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Did you start daily conditioning mainly to keep shampoo off the top of your head, or was your main concern to not have any running down your length? Both? I used to just co wash and do a real wash once or twice a week, but now I am washing every other day, but only doing a cwc. I don't want the shampoo on my length, but my roots are getting oily, so I want cleansing there, but condition only my length. I hope that makes sense.- trying to type with a 2 year old running circles around me!!

spidermom
April 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I have in the past come across information stating that the more often you get your hair wet, the quicker it dries out. Water causes the cuticle to lift, and some of the inner structure moisture that you're trying to hold onto evaporates as the hair dries.

But I can't remember where I read this - Beauty Brains maybe?

bella77
April 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have in the past come across information stating that the more often you get your hair wet, the quicker it dries out. Water causes the cuticle to lift, and some of the inner structure moisture that you're trying to hold onto evaporates as the hair dries.

But I can't remember where I read this - Beauty Brains maybe?
That is very interesting, I have to go look that up. If I am wetting too much and this is causing dryness, fizz, well then- hold the water!!!

bella77
April 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
1. Flood Damage
Even “harmless” water can be a shine stealer. That’s because too much moisture swells the hair shaft and causes the cuticle to buckle. The more frequently you wet your hair, the less shine you’re likely to have.

copied from beauty brains site

spidermom
April 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
1. Flood Damage
Even “harmless” water can be a shine stealer. That’s because too much moisture swells the hair shaft and causes the cuticle to buckle. The more frequently you wet your hair, the less shine you’re likely to have.

Ah-ha! (my message was too short)

Lianna
April 4th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I rather wet my hair everyday than let it drying out for days and days. Lots of people benefit from the daily wetting. Sometimes it's just what the hair needs, just like not every SLES washer will have more sebum production because they wash often.

RitaPG
April 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Are we talking about leave-ins? I usually use a drop or two of oil.
If the ends get a little more stubborn and tangly, I'll use a drop of a silicone based conditioner as a leave-in. My hair stays shiny and easy to detangle for several days.

haibane
April 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
1. Flood Damage

That really makes no sense to me. If for every time you wet the hair it just gets drier and drier, then how is there any moisture in the hair at all? Where did it come from?
Maybe if you live in a humid climate the hair might be able to absorb enough moisture from the air to be ok, but what if you're in a dry climate?

This is likely another YMMV thing, because for me there is no doubt that when I mist my hair it gets less dry (and because of that splits less and tangles less.)

bella77
April 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM
That really makes no sense to me. If for every time you wet the hair it just gets drier and drier, then how is there any moisture in the hair at all? Where did it come from?
Maybe if you live in a humid climate the hair might be able to absorb enough moisture from the air to be ok, but what if you're in a dry climate?

This is likely another YMMV thing, because for me there is no doubt that when I mist my hair it gets less dry (and because of that splits less and tangles less.)

I looked it up on a site called beauty brains- an article titled shine stealers- I believe they listed 10-12 things that are known to take the shine out of your hair. I agree that some people's hair likes moisture, where some others like protein. Some like poo bars, some co wash only. It really depends on what your hair responds well to and playing around with those things to get that "just right" balance for your hair.

My hair does like light misting with water and oils, some protein, some moisture. I found it does not like brushing while dry, my hair is wavy and this tends to make it frizz more, thus increasing the need for more leave in's to smooth down the frizz. I am learning slowly but surely the longer my hair gets, how to treat it right!

spidermom
April 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Moisture comes from the water you drink and goes into the hair as part of its structure when it forms in the follicle. That's the ONLY way you get water into your hair. The water that you use when you wet your hair evaporates right out; it has no ability to penetrate the inner structure. Oiling and silicones can slow down the rate at which it evaporates, but that's the best you can do.

Oh, and oiling replaces lost essential fatty acids (also a part of the structure of the hair as it forms), so it's essential to moisture balance, too. When we're talking about hair or skin, the term "moisture" includes both essential fatty acids AND water.

bella77
April 4th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Moisture comes from the water you drink and goes into the hair as part of its structure when it forms in the follicle. That's the ONLY way you get water into your hair. The water that you use when you wet your hair evaporates right out; it has no ability to penetrate the inner structure. Oiling and silicones can slow down the rate at which it evaporates, but that's the best you can do.

Oh, and oiling replaces lost essential fatty acids (also a part of the structure of the hair as it forms), so it's essential to moisture balance, too. When we're talking about hair or skin, the term "moisture" includes both essential fatty acids AND water.
sounds very reasonable to me!!

haibane
April 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I don't believe this to be true at all, and it doesn't make any sense to me. It's not at all consistent with how my hair reacts to moisture. But like I said before, YMMV and everyone's hair has different needs so, shrug.

Lianna
April 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I think if the hair is already dry, those daily hours of wet hair make a lot of difference because it allows to detangle without braking hairs (I would brake all my hair if I were to detangle dry everyday). The conditioner and oils used after will keep the moisture in longer, like spidermom said...If on the next morning the hair is dry and tangled, I think at least a little CO would be beneficial. This is just my observation as a curly/wavy.

ETA: If I used just water would be different, though. But water+conditioner have an acid ph...which I don't think will harm the hair (I think "flood damage" is from the neutral ph?)