PDA

View Full Version : what made my hair so awesome?

iluvkorn
April 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
i was reading the articles here and one told me to try things one at a time so you know what works for your hair.
k, so i didn't do that.
last night i went on a "hair pampering binge".
-brushed with a bbb after detangling
-double co'd instead of just once
-rinsed with cold water
-put just a smidge of shea butter on my damp hair

today my hair is ridiculously soft, smooth, and shiny. seriously, i couldn't keep my hands off of it all day. now my problem is knowing what made such a difference. i don't know if i should cut back to just doing one thing each time i wash my hair to single out the wondrous culprit or if i should just keep doing all of these things all the time and never know.

i have done most of these things before (except the cold water thing) but not since i've joined lhc and started really caring for my hair. any thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Chamy
April 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Haha, well you see, there is a reason that the advice was given to you. I think that you should just go back to the usual routine and then do one thing at the time and see what works for you. It can be the combination of these things too obviously.
Good luck!

Night_Kitten
April 1st, 2011, 12:56 PM
If you really want to know, I guess there's no other way - you'll have to try them one by one, but if knowing which one or which combination of them did it is not very important to you and you have no trouble continuing with them all together, then just keep doing them all and having the great results :D

iluvkorn
April 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
thanks chamy and night kitten.
i don't mind doing all these things. my curiosity may kill me with not knowing though. haha :)
so i guess i'll go back to the drawing board. and i want to be able to tell people what my secret is when they ask me how i keep my hair so healthy.

Firefox7275
April 1st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Ha ha I don't think any newbies follow Ursula's excellent advice, but at least it stuck in your (and my) head! I don't think as BBB can make your hair super shiny in one use, tho I am prepared to be told otherwise. She wouldn't make your whole head shiny because you cannot spread it quite that easily. My guess would be the double condition.

Scarlet_Heart
April 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM
If this is all working out so well for you, why not just make ALL of them part of your routine (w/ the exception of the shea which maybe you could do every other wash or something).

NouvelleNymphe2
April 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Perhaps it's a combination of all of them, I second Scarlet_Heart's idea :).

morecowbell
April 1st, 2011, 03:37 PM
I am with you here... I TRY to keep it to only one new thing tried per week/at a time, but who has the patience for that? ;)
I would focus on two things, though; the cold water rinse could definitely have had an effect, and the shea butter most certainly did in some way or another.
I use shea on dry hair because shea butter has a much higher melting point, and it works wonderfully for me!
And see now I'm wondering if shea butter on damp hair would be awesome, but I'm already experimenting with leave ins, so now I must choose! :laugh:

telegraph64
April 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have a wild feeling that it quite possibly was the shea butter.

getoffmyskittle
April 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM
I bet it was the double CO + shea butter.

terpentyna
April 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
I say CO and cold rinse.

I'll be crazy and mention the fact that provided I had the time, I would just repeat the whole routine. It obviously worked and it's highly likely that it was the combo of them all, so...

iluvkorn
April 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM
i'm still playing with it :)
it sounds like i might be doing all of it because i love it. as long as i do it at night i'll have plenty of time to get it all in. my mornings are cramped because i need at least an hour to just sit and drink coffee if i want to become a real person ;)

Slinks
April 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
I like the combined treatment you did .. nothing wrong with that :-)

morecowbell
April 2nd, 2011, 07:40 AM
i'm still playing with it :)
it sounds like i might be doing all of it because i love it. as long as i do it at night i'll have plenty of time to get it all in. my mornings are cramped because i need at least an hour to just sit and drink coffee if i want to become a real person ;) (bolded for emphasis)

That is exactly my reasoning for setting my alarm an hour earlier than I need to! :D If I can't goof off while drinking caffeine for an hour, I don't have a good day lol...
Just had to comment on the coincidence of seeing someone else use the same phrase-ology :)

walterSCAN
April 2nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
(bolded for emphasis)

That is exactly my reasoning for setting my alarm an hour earlier than I need to! :D If I can't goof off while drinking caffeine for an hour, I don't have a good day lol...
Just had to comment on the coincidence of seeing someone else use the same phrase-ology :)

[hijack#2]
Sorry, couldn't resist... this is me too! Although, considering how early I have to be up anyway, I've had to compress my become-a-real-person time down to a half hour... Glad I'm not alone! DH doesn't understand why I don't just sleep a little longer. [/hijack#2]

Ok, nothing to see here... Carry on with your regularly-scheduled thread!

To the OP on the actual :o topic:

I'm going to vote for the combination itself being the culprit for awesomeness. I changed my whole routine at once due to moving (which meant a drastic change in water quality), and the changes I made just seemed to necessarily flow from each other (if that makes any sense), and they equalled suddenly awesome hair for me too! I've tried removing one or the other of the different elements, but it really only works well when they are all there...

So maybe we both just magically stumbled upon the perfect routine for us in one fell swoop! Feel lucky, it doesn't seem to happen often... ;)

jaine
April 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
If it were me I would:

1. Repeat the entire routine again a few more times to see if you get the same results each time. It you don't, it could have been something other than the routine (weather, humidity, dew point, etc)

2. If you DO get the same results consistently with each routine, then try a few variations on this routine, each time leaving out 1 step and compare your results to what you get when you do everything together. This will tell you how important each step is.

Intotouch
April 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
How about trying to leave out one thing at a time out of the routing? Then you'll know for example when you do everything except the shea butter that the s b was essential or not.

iluvkorn
April 3rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
glad to know i'm not the only caffeine addict here :)
walterscan, yay for us!

i haven't washed my hair since the day i started this thread so i haven't had a chance to alter the routine. the cold rinse hurt my hot water needing body so i think i'll remove that only tonight. i know that may cut back on the shine but i was most impressed by the softness so that's what i want to repeat.

thanks for all the suggestions. everyone is so helpful here.

iluvkorn
April 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
well, i washed my hair tonight and the only thing i changed was that i didn't double co, just a single. that was around 5pm and it's dry now. *simply wonderful* i think the shea butter is what makes my hair so soft.

despite my skin's screaming, i did the cold rinse so i have the shine, too.

Asequui
April 4th, 2011, 01:01 AM
iluvkorn, walterscan, and morecowbell - Another coffee addict signing in. :bounce:
I am simply not a very nice person, nor very much of a "human" person before that first cup of magical stuff when I wake up.

iluvkorn, have you tried just flipping your head over into the cold spray? You could also try it when you get out of the shower by just sticking your head into the spray and standing outside. I usually do something along those lines since I just can't abide the shock of the cold water over my neck and shoulders (impinged nerve, etc in neck). Glad to hear you figured out what the secret was. I'm gonna have to look into getting some shea butter.

julliams
April 4th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Repeat the same thing a few times to make sure that it's failsafe and then just eliminate one thing at a time and see when it doesn't work

RadiantNeedle
April 4th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I think it was the luuurrrv.

>.>

Ok, I have no idea! But it sounds awesome, and I'm wishing my hair would respond that way! I think an oiling followed by a double CO is in order!