PDA

View Full Version : the search and destroy method

angelraver
April 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Does anyone else do this and do you find it helps? When i've got a bit of time to spare i sit at my window and go through my hair hunting down split and broken ends, its becoming an addiction!

nena_shawty
April 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
yes i do this. it really helps to stretch the time before i trim my hair.

spidermom
April 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
No, I don't think it helps. I did nothing but S&D for 14 months until 3/26/2011, and every time I looked, there were more and more and MORE splits and white dots. I absolutely positively could not keep up with the progression of damage, even though I was doing nothing particularly damaging to my hair (other than living my life). I have a new goal to give up S&D once and for all and rely on good care and regular trims to keep damage under control.

Chamy
April 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
I think it works, to some extent. You can get rid of a lot of splits this way, but you can also create a LOT of layers in your hair that you might not like. I used to S&D on a regular basis, but now i just cut single hairs out if i get one in my face and see a bent angle or something. But i like my hair cut in a blunt all one length hemline, and i couldnt have that if i kept up with the S&D. So i stoped.

monsterna
April 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
I have to do it because trimming is useless for me (and I want fairy tale ends or similar eventually anyway). I have so many layers in my hair already, trimming the bottom an arbitrary length would do nothing but shorten my hair. Some of my splits start over an inch up the shaft, so even an inch trim would be worthless, to me. I hate having to do it, but I'm in the no trim club (and honestly, the trimming-is-useless-to-me club).

ravenreed
April 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have lots of layers, natural and intentional, so I don't mind the ones I get from S & D. I have used a two pronged approach to improving my hair's condition. One is changing my routine so my hair is less likely to get split ends and the other is taking care of the split ends I do get. I used to have to trim my hair constantly because of my splits. Now I can just spend a bit of time and take off just the ends that have them. I only trim to keep the overall shape I want my hair to have, rather than because my ends are yucky.

angelraver
April 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
I agree somewhat because no matter how much i do it i always find more!! im fidgety though, the type who has to pick a scab or spot and this is becoming my new habit and it gives the illusion im making my hair feel' healthier'

Firefox7275
April 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
I think it depends what is more important to you - length or thickness or condition or whatever. At SL-ish I can deal with cutting two inches off and waiting to grow, but someone heading for TB or classic might never get there if they didn't S&D but trimmed all the dry ends off. Because mine is chemically coloured, I will probably need to give ends of all lengths a regular trim once I start into a growth phase, so I'm planning on twist and snip. Plus I think it would depress me to find loads of splits!! :p

SwordWomanRiona
April 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM
I'm at classic, and I would rather S&D than trimming overmuch...But the trouble is, my hair is SO fine that when I begin cutting off some splits I get discouraged because I can't just go over every single super-fine hair in my head!!! And I get bored-in despair, and leave it, and maybe do a microtrim...

pretty wings
April 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM
I do. I have kinky-coily hair. I do search and destroy to get rid of single strand knots whenever I find them and have my scissors nearby. It really helps to keep my hair from tangling. Since my hair afro-textured I'm not worried about maintaining a blunt cut since no one would see it anyway.

HintOfMint
April 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM
It actually works for me because I have particular spots in my hair that are more prone to splits, so I just concentrate on those areas. And when I'm done, I can actually feel that my hair is less tangly.

QMacrocarpa
April 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
For me occasional self-trims work pretty well, and I think S&D would compromise my sanity, so I don't do it.

haibane
April 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM
S&D has been great for me. In particular, doing frequent S&D inspections helped me figure out what type of routine helps prevent splits, and now I don't get anywhere near as many splits anymore.

jojo
April 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
I really, really hate S&ding. I do it about twice a year, I cannot think of anything so mind numbingly boring, it sends me crosseyed and I always end up with more splits the week after, than I had when I started. (yes my scissors are sharp!) I do however bribe my daughter to do it for me, but even then an hour tops and ive had enough!

bettylibertine
April 2nd, 2011, 12:00 AM
I want to try this but can't afford sharp scissors..

jeanniet
April 2nd, 2011, 12:31 AM
I S & D periodically, but much less than I used to. Maybe a few times a month. Between taking better care of my hair and S & D, the number of splits I find has greatly reduced in the past year--I'd say 50-75% less. I've done a few small dustings, but haven't had a real trim since 2009.

Marianne
April 2nd, 2011, 02:23 AM
It actually works for me because I have particular spots in my hair that are more prone to splits, so I just concentrate on those areas. And when I'm done, I can actually feel that my hair is less tangly.

I'm the same. I have a few areas which quickly become full of splits if I'm not careful, and I can always tell the difference after S&D. Plus, I find it relaxing.

Sunsailing
April 2nd, 2011, 03:28 AM
Absolutely it works.

If you don't stop a split, it will only get worse.
For those that say that they always find more....of course you do. It's a continual process. But if you don't take care of them (cut them off), the split will destroy that individual hair shaft inch by inch.

I don't do it myself. I go to a GM salon and them do it. I just sit back and relax. Then they're done (about 30 minutes), a comb just glides through my hair.

SwordWomanRiona
April 2nd, 2011, 04:59 AM
Absolutely it works.

If you don't stop a split, it will only get worse.
For those that say that they always find more....of course you do. It's a continual process. But if you don't take care of them (cut them off), the split will destroy that individual hair shaft inch by inch.

I don't do it myself. I go to a GM salon and them do it. I just sit back and relax. Then they're done (about 30 minutes), a comb just glides through my hair.

You're really lucky! If I went to a salon and asked for a S&D:
1) They would ask what that was.
2) They would gaze at my classic length hair in a horrified state and say that was too much trouble. And offer to trim instead!
3) If I risked to let them touch my 'too-long' hair, I bet I would get out of the salon with much much less! (even without asking for it)

So that's why you're so lucky to have a salon where they S&D for you! :)

MonaLisa
April 2nd, 2011, 05:55 AM
Ive started doing it since i started lurking this forum. And its true that no matter how much i do it i will always find more and more. But also, how i could ignore a hair split to 3 parts, Id rather bite it off even lol ( didn't have to do it yet tho). And i agree its more useful to those with layers.

Lostsoule77
April 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
I do it and think it helps, but I only do it very randomly. I cut them when I see them (like if I'm in the bathroom in front of the computer.) Where it helps the most in at my nape. For some reason this area (and the front of my head) get more splits. When it gets particularly tangly I do a more thorough S&D and I can then get my comb through it no problem. I only do it in that particular area. That way I don't get mind numbingly bored. Works for me. :)

trolleypup
April 2nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Being at terminal, with all length fairytale hair, S&D is the only thing that helps...and makes a real difference in the tangliness.

LaraAntipova
October 25th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Any tips of S&D? Do you angle the scissors in a certain way or is it simple as snip? I get tiny, tiny split ends here and there. They're minuscule so cutting them off doesn't appear to change length of hair or create layers. I've always resented going to hair dressers to "trim" these split ends because even 0.5 centimetres is already too much! But HD's seem to think in inches.

And is bent ends a split end? Or is that the result of styling? I've noticed that once the end of a hair bends, and if it can't be smoothed straight, that it will go on to form a tiny fork split.

Any way to avoid bending the end of hair?

parkmikii
October 25th, 2015, 07:07 AM
I want to start doing this too in my next holiday. I'm at hip and I have never s&d so far, really curious about how many splits I will find :)

Zesty
October 25th, 2015, 07:10 AM
LaraAntipova: You don't have to angle the scissors, and in fact you should cut the hair with the scissors held as perpendicular to the hair as possible. But yes, it is as simple as snipping the split end off of a single hair. I don't personally snip off bent ends because mine usually seem fine after getting wet again, but if you feel that it's damage then you can do that.

Use low manipulation hairstyles to avoid bent ends. What kind of hairstyles are you doing now? Using one of those small rubber elastics, for example, can bend hair (not that I never use them, but I don't use them every day). Basically follow the advice all over this forum; good hair care in general cuts down on all kinds of damage.