PDA

View Full Version : Need some help - CO is suddenly making hair greasy

monsterna
April 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've been COing since December, using coney conditioners since my hair needs them. I ACV rinse a couple times a week and clarify when I need to.

However, lately my hair seems to be looking greasy/heavier even after it dries right after a wash. It hadn't done that ever since I've been COing. I'm not sure if I just need to switch up my conditioners. So does anyone have recommendations for coney conditioners that haven't made their hair greasy or otherwise heavy?

At the moment I'm using either Pantene's Beautiful Lengths or Aussie's Moist conditioners. Thanks!

honeybunny_1996
April 1st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Have you clarified lately? because that should have taken care of the buildup that could be causing the greasy feeling.

krissykins
April 1st, 2011, 08:53 AM
I used to love the Garnier Fructis conditioners (I believe there's a couple with cones still). Do you like the Herbal Essences conditioners?

Also, maybe try CWC once a week to see if that takes care of the greasies.

monsterna
April 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
I clarified the other day, and it's still doing it lately. Hmm =\

honeybunny_1996
April 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM
Switching to a different conditioner should do the trick then. Have you tried using a non coney conditioner?

monsterna
April 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
I used to love the Garnier Fructis conditioners (I believe there's a couple with cones still). Do you like the Herbal Essences conditioners?

Also, maybe try CWC once a week to see if that takes care of the greasies.

I will try that. In the past GF has made my hair greasy, even the shampoo. I have the GF Triple Nutrition, I may try that after an AVC. Even though it has no cones, ACV helps with lessening tangles and making it soft.

Is Herbal Essences good to use for CO? I may want something like that.

krissykins
April 1st, 2011, 09:12 AM
I will try that. In the past GF has made my hair greasy, even the shampoo. I have the GF Triple Nutrition, I may try that after an AVC. Even though it has no cones, ACV helps with lessening tangles and making it soft.

Is Herbal Essences good to use for CO? I may want something like that.

The first time I COed, I used the Hello Hydration conditioner, and my hair loved it. That was like three years ago (pre-LHC), so I don't know if they've switched up the ingredients or anything.

monsterna
April 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Switching to a different conditioner should do the trick then. Have you tried using a non coney conditioner?

They don't work too well for me and make my hair frizzier and tanglier.

Deborah
April 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
Here's a way to avoid the oilies:

Put 1/4 - 1/2 cup of your conditioner into a quart bottle.

Add 1 teaspoon citric acid powder.

Fill the bottle up the rest of the way with fairly hot water.

Shake the heck out of it.

Wash, using the whole bottle.

Use a citric acid or vinegar rinse for your very final rinse.

Don't rinse it out.

My hair does great on this method. It goes faster than regular CO for some reason, and leaves my hair cleaner than regular CO. I like either Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut or one of the VO5 herbals; Kiwi Lime is nice. The conditioners you are using sound heavier. That may be part of your problem.

Another thing many do on CO that (of course) leaves the hair oilier is that they use more conditioner after washing with conditioner. Your hair simply doesn't need it. It weighs the hair down, making it feel and look greasy. Just skip it.

Whatever you do, I hope you find a method that works wonderfully well for your hair!

CaityBear
April 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
Try using a different conditioner. One that isn't so heavy. Those do sound very heavy. I always use really runny conditioners and usually add water to it. You can also try using a squirt of shampoo in the conditioner.

How long do you let it sit before rinsing out? Try massaging it in very well, letting sit a couple minutes, then add a bit of water and massage more, then let sit again and then rinse out. If I don't let it sit long enough my hair won't end up coming completely clean.

Firefox7275
April 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM
If you've been CO-ing with cones since December you may need several clarifications to clear the build up - bear in mind you have, say, 50 thin layers of the stuff on depending on how often you wash your hair. I never thought I had build up until I twigged why my hair seemed greasy when it 'needed' colouring. :rolleyes: I was effectively clarifying every six weeks by using the dye, and that's with a light coney spray not a full head of heavy cream rinse.

monsterna
April 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

My conditioners are pretty heavy, with the Pantene being more so than the Aussie, I think. I'll look into Suave Naturals or Herbal Essences.

CaityBear, I let the conditioner sit on my head the entire time I'm in the shower. I put it on first and massage it in, then I use my seamless comb to comb it through, and it stays on for at least 5 minutes.

monsterna
April 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM
If you've been CO-ing with cones since December you may need several clarifications to clear the build up - bear in mind you have, say, 50 thin layers of the stuff on depending on how often you wash your hair. I never thought I had build up until I twigged why my hair seemed greasy when it 'needed' colouring. :rolleyes: I was effectively clarifying every six weeks by using the dye, and that's with a light coney spray not a full head of heavy cream rinse.

I clarify at least once every two weeks, and I CO every day unless I skip a day on the weekend, which isn't often. I'll try to clarify again and then condition with a new conditioner.

jojo
April 1st, 2011, 05:39 PM
Maybe a ACV rinse may help or even a teaspoon of lemon juice in a large jug of water in the final rinse. Your already dojng everything right by clarifying, it could even be the weather which is causing it.

monsterna
April 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
I just showered and did an ACV followed by HE's Hello Hydration conditioner. So far it's still given me good slip, with pretty much flawless wet combing in and after the shower (something I look for in a good cone conditioner). So we'll see how it goes after it dries (although I did have Monistat in my hair all night...). Thanks for the recs, everyone.

Lozzie
April 4th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I tend to wash with a thin cone-free conditioner, often just a really cheap supermarket brand. I add lots of water and really try and lather it up as though i was shampooing my hair, wash that out really good and then use coney co from ears down.. My hair is now waistlength but fine and i had the same problem as you as i needed the slip but was getting too much greasiness on top. Found that i was using too heavy a co on my roots. It has really helped. I use Pantene clarifying shampoo by the way. Good luck :pinktongue: