PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for those with layers.

Eolan
April 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM
Hi all! :waving:

I'm concidering getting some layers, but I haven't decided yet. I have some very subtle layers now and some shorter sections at the front. I'm thinking I'll either grow it all out to one lenght or get it more layered.

Pro's: I have some major waves that want to come out and play. I also have a square face shape. Wavy hair+square face+layers=awesome. My features would really benefit from some face framing layers. I think I look better with some hair framing my face, the pulled back look does not work well for me. I also think my hair could be really big and sexy with some more layers all over. I like the messier do's and they'll be easier to achive with another cut.

Con's: I tend to get crazy when I have hair in my face. If I get more face framing layers I'm afraid that I'll just go nuts and pin them up all the time. I have this idea that one has to use a product of somekind to enhance the layeres. A layered look seems to need more upkeep with going to the salon and such. And braiding might be a bit difficult.

What do you think? What is you opinion about my hair?

Also, some other questions:

Why do you have layers?

How do you style them? Do you use a product and/or a method to enhance the look of them?

Do you cut them yourself or at a salon?

Thank you to anyone who wants to post their opinion! Smoochie smoooch!:smooch:

varintalonguard
April 1st, 2011, 01:16 AM
When I used to straighten my hair I loved my layers because they broke up the cut. Now I have layers because curly hair doesn't usually work on my with all one length so it looks more poof than curl.

I used to use moose to help keep them in shape but now I just use coconut oil and a mister through out the day to keep the layers curly. It also important to place the layers while wet so they dry the way you want then to. Its great when the hair is straight cause you can just comb it. Curly hair needs to be left alone too much.

I cut layers, ends and bangs all by myself. I'm broke so I just learned how to do it.

Plus side its always easier, in my opinion, to follow a cut on straight hair.

I can't say get them if you don't think that you can handle thing around your face but remember you can pin them up when they are bothering you or train them to be behind your ear.

Let me know what you decide to do.

hanne jensen
April 1st, 2011, 01:55 AM
Wait 2 weeks before doing anything involving scissors.

Layers are nice, but they're pure hell to grow out. As your hair gets longer, your hemline will appear thinner if you have layers.

I know that I started hating my layers. I'd get trimmed every 8 weeks and get 1 centimeter off my hemline in the hope that my layers would eventually reach my hemline. Finally I just couldn't stand them anymore and got a 7 centimeter chop last May. If I hadn't had these damned layers I would have waist length hair now.

Of course, it's your hair and you can do what you like with it. It would be a pity for you to do something that will lengthen your journey to tailbone.

Happy Growing!

Dina L.
April 1st, 2011, 02:09 AM
I'm a curly with layers. And arghh. I'm not sure about them at all! I think layers can highlight the curls, but it's a pain to make up-dos because the ends just stick out everywhere. I have long layers: my face-framing hair grew out till about chin, but at the back my hair is at BSL (:happydance:) so the difference is about 10"!!! Next time I get a professional haircut I will vote for small layers on the lower part of my hair.
If you decide to make layers, first try small layers, you can always cut more if you want to, but never undo the cut. :scissors:

blackcatw81
April 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
I'm a wavy with layers (and a bad layered cut to grow out :evil: ), always have and always will :cool: If you think your face will look better with shorter strands then do it and you can play with clips, combs, ecc, keeping the strands from falling into your eyes :)

Fufu
April 1st, 2011, 02:35 AM
I'm a straightie with layers.

I have layers because I prefer my hair to have flow.

I don't style my hair with wax or gel.

I had my layers from my hairstylist. I used to have bsl hair length and I decided to chop my hair length to shoulder, she created layers in my hair and I've been growing my hair ong since last year april.

Eolan
April 1st, 2011, 02:36 AM
Thank you all for your input!

I see that all of you have wavier/curlier hair than I do. I think I'm in the 1 category, sometimes maybee on the border to 2. Today I had big s-waves when I woke up, but they have flattened out quite a bit now. I am wavier now than when I was at waist, so the lenght pulls out some of the waves. I had no layers at all then.

I have had alot of layers before, when I was younger. I have never had hair longer than my waist. If I decide to go with the layered look I don't think I would grow longer than to maybee hip. I guess I could also just get some face framing layers. If they don't drive me crazy. I kind of see no point in getting them if I would put them up all the time.

There is also something about having long, one lenght hair. But will it suit me? And layers can be sooo flattering.

Oh, decisions! Blargh!

I'm sorry about the rant. My posts in this thread are probably all going to be rants. :)

Edit: Fufu, I didn't see your post before I answered. Your hair i straighter than mine! :) Interresting that you don't use products. Do your layers still show? Mine kind of don't if I don't style them, but they are very, very subtle.

UltraBella
April 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I have layers and love them. I don't think I would enjoy my hair at all without them, I have no desire for all one length hair.
My stylist does a great job and my layers are long and blended, it gives me hair bounce and movement. I don't usually do anything except damp bun and leave my hair alone but I love to use my Caruso mollecular hairsetter for large soft curls. It looks awesome with layers !

elbow chic
April 1st, 2011, 07:46 AM
I have had layers in the past and am gradually growing them out now. I LOVED my layers when I wore my hair down regularly.

but for me the appeal of growing long hair is all the braid and updo possibilities long hair opens up. And layers make a lot of those styles much harder. Or impossible. :)

So, for me, the layers vs. not question boils down to whether I want to wear my hair up or down more, and I choose up.

UltraBella
April 1st, 2011, 07:56 AM
I have had layers in the past and am gradually growing them out now. I LOVED my layers when I wore my hair down regularly.

but for me the appeal of growing long hair is all the braid and updo possibilities long hair opens up. And layers make a lot of those styles much harder. Or impossible. :)

So, for me, the layers vs. not question boils down to whether I want to wear my hair up or down more, and I choose up.

I know a lot of people say they have problems with layers and updos, I wear my hair up in a bun daily with no problem at all. I wonder if it just comes down to hair type or something ? I don't have updo problems and my braids come out pretty good too for layered hair.

honeybunny_1996
April 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM
I have layers on my wavy hair and it gives my hair more waves and volume then when i had it all one length. I get my layers long enough so i can put it into a pony. It all depends on what you want to be able to do with your hair when you have it long.

missoj
April 2nd, 2011, 04:07 AM
Why do you have layers?
My bangs are growing out and also the last time I had my hair cut into a style was because it was breaking off and had to get layers to hide the breakage. It's now growing out my with the exception of my bangs my shortest layer is about shoulder length.

How do you style them? Do you use a product and/or a method to enhance the look of them?
I have naturally curly hair which I blow straight so I don't need to use product to enhance them, in fact I use a straightening serum to smooth it more.

I went to a hair dresser, but I will never go back to her. Sometimes I get my split ends trimmed by my neighbour who is also a hairdresser or I just do them myself.

ooo
April 2nd, 2011, 04:45 AM
My layers are more the rest of my growing out pixie cut. I'll probably going to maintain them. Otherwise my hair looks like one big, solid block. The salon I go to is totally trust worthy. Due to my waves no styling is necessary.

MonaLisa
April 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
I think that if you like to wear your hair down, layers are what will make it look better, more alive, more sexy.

morecowbell
April 2nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Hey, OP :)
We have a very similar hairtype and I have layers, so I hope I can answer some questions helpfully. :)

Why do you have layers?
I have layers from just reaching shoulder stairstepping down to APL. At APL I felt like my hair was too short to have any style if it was all one length, and I wanted movement in my hair. I also have a very round face so face framing layers help me look less like a child, lol. :D

How do you style/do you use products?
ATM if I want my layers to look really good I damp bun really high up (like on top of my head) to get bun waves. I use coconut oil daily as my only styling aid on damp hair, and it works great to keep the ends of my layers moisturized and healthy looking.

Professional or self cut?
Now comes the caveat, haha. :) I cut my own layers for the first time in October of last year, and even though I think they came out pretty and nice looking, they do look a bit choppy and too thick, and that's because I cut them wrong. There is a thread on this site with a tutorial for cutting layers yourself that might be of interest to you. I'm already growing my short layers out (along with a bunch of old dye damage) because when my hair is longer, I'll only want my layers to be 3-5 inches shorter than the rest of my length.
If you are okay with experimenting on yourself, I think it's less stressful to just try cutting a few really long layers yourself (so only cutting a few inches at first) to see if you like the way the technique works for you, and going from there.
But if you want your hair to look really polished, and aren't opposed to hair dressers, then a professional is almost sure to give you a better result, most of the time. :)

This is very long, but I hope something I said will help. :)

HintOfMint
April 2nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I'm a fan of face-framing layers on wavy hair. They seem to bring out the wave more and are just more flattering. I have a round/square shape face and layers are definitely my friend.
I don't really style them though, after a wash, I dab some oil or serum on my hair, put my hair in a high damp bun and sleep. In the morning, I have nice bun waves and I don't have to style my hair at all. I'm sure if you found a method of airdrying with the right product, it wouldn't require much styling at all.

Also, if they're more flattering, that's your answer. And if you want to do an updo, there are always bobby pins.

Eolan
April 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
First of I want to say that I really want to comment on everybodys comments individually, but I'm out of town and out of time, so I'll just say thank you! I love to hear your input! :flower:

I have layers and love them. I don't think I would enjoy my hair at all without them, I have no desire for all one length hair.
My stylist does a great job and my layers are long and blended, it gives me hair bounce and movement. I don't usually do anything except damp bun and leave my hair alone but I love to use my Caruso mollecular hairsetter for large soft curls. It looks awesome with layers !

I was hoping you would chime in here, UltraBella. You know we all love your hair!

Can I ask your opinion as I stylist? If you could decide, would you cut layers in my hair? I would really be glad if you gave your opinion. :flower:

but for me the appeal of growing long hair is all the braid and updo possibilities long hair opens up. And layers make a lot of those styles much harder. Or impossible.

This is a very good and valid point. My choice would be to feel good about my hair. Yeah, not to clear perhaps. I'm starting to think that thig for me would involve some other styling than I do now. I love a beautiful, thick, neat braid, but when I wear my hair like that I don't feel great.

I have layers on my wavy hair and it gives my hair more waves and volume then when i had it all one length. I get my layers long enough so i can put it into a pony. It all depends on what you want to be able to do with your hair when you have it long.

Also a good point. I'm starting to think that I would like to do messy updos and wear my hair down... But I'm not sure. Aaargh, again!

Hey, OP :)
We have a very similar hairtype and I have layers, so I hope I can answer some questions helpfully. :)

Why do you have layers?
I have layers from just reaching shoulder stairstepping down to APL. At APL I felt like my hair was too short to have any style if it was all one length, and I wanted movement in my hair. I also have a very round face so face framing layers help me look less like a child, lol. :D

How do you style/do you use products?
ATM if I want my layers to look really good I damp bun really high up (like on top of my head) to get bun waves. I use coconut oil daily as my only styling aid on damp hair, and it works great to keep the ends of my layers moisturized and healthy looking.

Professional or self cut?
Now comes the caveat, haha. :) I cut my own layers for the first time in October of last year, and even though I think they came out pretty and nice looking, they do look a bit choppy and too thick, and that's because I cut them wrong. There is a thread on this site with a tutorial for cutting layers yourself that might be of interest to you. I'm already growing my short layers out (along with a bunch of old dye damage) because when my hair is longer, I'll only want my layers to be 3-5 inches shorter than the rest of my length.
If you are okay with experimenting on yourself, I think it's less stressful to just try cutting a few really long layers yourself (so only cutting a few inches at first) to see if you like the way the technique works for you, and going from there.
But if you want your hair to look really polished, and aren't opposed to hair dressers, then a professional is almost sure to give you a better result, most of the time. :)

This is very long, but I hope something I said will help. :)

Oh hai, hair relative! :waving: So nice to see you! Thank you for answering, very interresting!

I have a stylist as a best friend, so she can cut my hair if I ask her. :)

I'm a fan of face-framing layers on wavy hair. They seem to bring out the wave more and are just more flattering. I have a round/square shape face and layers are definitely my friend.
I don't really style them though, after a wash, I dab some oil or serum on my hair, put my hair in a high damp bun and sleep. In the morning, I have nice bun waves and I don't have to style my hair at all. I'm sure if you found a method of airdrying with the right product, it wouldn't require much styling at all.

Also, if they're more flattering, that's your answer. And if you want to do an updo, there are always bobby pins.

I love this whole high bunning thing. I'm trying it out! And yes, maybe I do have my answer already. I'll still think about it a bit more, though.

xoerincolleen
April 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I have layers and like them- however, when you go to your stylist, be very clear on what type of layers you want. I asked for "long layers" when I last went about a month ago (which have turned out wonderfully every time I've gotten my hair cut), and the girl cut them differently than what I'm used to. I'm disappointed because my ends look thin compared to the rest of my hair. I ended up trimming the ends myself about 1/4 of an inch just so it looked more uniform and even.
However, I would HATE to not have layers. They give hair a lot of movement and just generally look better, in my opinion. If you're worried about hair being in your face, ask for long layers that don't start until shoulder length (or higher or lower depending on how long your hair is).

Seharia
April 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
It seems like you really want them so I would say go for it!
But may be ask for long layers at first (layers only in the bottom couple inches of your hair) and make sure that the shortest layer is still long enough to go into up dos If you want to keep doing them.
I have layers now that are around shoulder length down to apl and the shortest layer only recently started to fit into regular buns and braids. I looked very strange with my hair down on the sides of my face but in an up-do in the back until it grew a bit.
Also for my curly hair when I cut layers in it my hair becomes wavy rather than curly for some reason but that probably wont happen to you cause your hair is in the 2s not 3s.

californiagirl
April 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
I have layers because it makes it tolerable for me to air dry my hair. My hair dries with a little bit of wave to it, and if it is all one length, I cannot stand the wave. But, since I have gotten layers, I don't mind the waves, and I actually like them. Layers have pretty much helped me to avoid the temptation of the flat iron and blow dryer.

spidermom
April 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
I got long layers recently because I needed a change. I love that all the dried-out, split to bits, damaged hair is gone - which it wouldn't be at this length if I didn't have long layers because the damage extended quite far up the canopy. My hair is so easy to comb now; I love it. Most of the time, to be honest, I can't even tell that I have layers. It all blends and flows together. I had some weird flippy ends a few days ago, and that's the only day I could tell that I have layers. I haven't tried braiding yet, but my buns go in as easy as, or easier, than they did before my classic "all one length" to tailbone, long layers hair cut.

Becky Safari
April 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
I have layers because I used to think they were necessary on hair. I have come to realize that my hair type does not work well with layers, so I am trying to grow them out.

x0h_bother
April 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM

I think you are correct about layers encouraging wave and your concern over braiding has been an issue I face. I'm very anti-layers right now but I miss my curl.

Why do you have layers?

When my hair was shorter, I thought it looked better and lighter with layers and bangs.

I use silicone serums to encourage curl of layers

Salon. Doing them myself would be a trainwreck!

jaine
April 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
> Why do you have layers?

Because without them I would look like a big trangle

> How do you style them? Do you use a product and/or a method to enhance the look of them?

I either damp-bun to get loose waves or do curly girl method to get curls

> Do you cut them yourself or at a salon?

salon. Me + scissors = disaster!!!!

Eolan
April 4th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Again, thank you everyone who comments in this thread!

It seems like you really want them so I would say go for it! <snip>

I am actually very torn. I am very undecided. One day I really want to cut my hair, on other days I really don't. I have decided to wait until my hair is a bit longer before I decide on anything drastic. This lenght is really awkward so I'll just put it up and forget about it a while longer. A good thing is I'm getting close to BSL again!

I got long layers recently because I needed a change. I love that all the dried-out, split to bits, damaged hair is gone - which it wouldn't be at this length if I didn't have long layers because the damage extended quite far up the canopy. My hair is so easy to comb now; I love it. Most of the time, to be honest, I can't even tell that I have layers. It all blends and flows together. I had some weird flippy ends a few days ago, and that's the only day I could tell that I have layers. I haven't tried braiding yet, but my buns go in as easy as, or easier, than they did before my classic "all one length" to tailbone, long layers hair cut.

I'm happy to hear you are happy about your change! I would love to see a picture!

I think you are correct about layers encouraging wave and your concern over braiding has been an issue I face. I'm very anti-layers right now but I miss my curl.

Why do you have layers?

When my hair was shorter, I thought it looked better and lighter with layers and bangs.

I use silicone serums to encourage curl of layers

Salon. Doing them myself would be a trainwreck!

So are you growing your layers out now? Why are you anti-layers?