PDA

View Full Version : My Summer Hair Routine>>>yours???

Moiraine
June 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Anybody else have a different hair routine for the cold and hot months? I have a very oily skin (scalp as well) that really gets much worse in the summer. I must be the only 53 year old who can wash her face with any kind of soap many times a day!

My hair is about BS now and as it is hot where I work, I've started wearing 4 braids and pulling them back into a scrunchie, then putting another one on the end of the braided pony. With practise I can do them very neatly with hardly any scalp showing except the centre part.

Anyway with the heat I have to wash this oily scalp of mine at least once a day. I don't want to wash the whole length, just the scalp so this is what I do.

I wet my hair under the shower, then apply the shampoo to just my scalp making sure I work it in well. then I wash it out and put some conditioner on the length only. Result is a nice squeaky-clean scalp, no itching or smell and I can still clear my hair with a some cones and a big comb. Then I just braid it up wet and it dries thru the day.

I realise the kind of job I have means I can wear my hair very casually like this, no one cares as long as I show up and do my work.

But I'll tell you one thing. With my hair braided night and day and an inch taken off the hem by my daughter yesterday I feel my hair is getting in much better shape. Once she puts my colour in I will feel much better about my hair all around!:blossom:

peachy.pudding
June 14th, 2008, 04:55 AM
In England we get 3 months of sun per year and even most of those days can be average heat. I personally feel my hair does better without the heat, as it seems to get greasy quicker, i now stick to fans, airconditioning, showrs etc to cool myself down, as well as staying out of the sun. my hair dislikes heat, the sun is like a blowfry to my hair.

Periwinkle
June 14th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I don't particularly have a different routine, though I think I use more conditioner in the winter because my hair is drier.

Just wanted to say, though, that the way you described washing your hair is the way I wash mine, always :D

Haith
June 14th, 2008, 05:33 AM
In the winter when the air here is VERY dry, I need to use conditioner every time I wet my hair However when the summer comes I can relax a bit with the moisture. I find myself doing more WO washes since I don't wash my hair every day, but I shower every day in the sweaty summer. I also do more braiding and always wearing a hat to protect my hair and face from the sun.

Moiraine
June 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks for replying guys....my winter hair care is real easy as well...the frizzies are gone, the humidity is low and because I don't sweat much, I can go for close to a week before I need to wash it. Everywhere is getting so hot these days, even parts of the world where it is traditionally been cooler so I guess we have to change our methods to suit.

I am just so glad I persevered with my hair growth and I can put my hair up. The way I see it, to keep cool your hair has to be very very short or long enough to pull back. Otherwise than that, you have to spend mega time every day to make it look decent:blossom: (the way I see it, anyway!!!)

Loreyanne_H
June 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Le me see...Actually I dont' change much my routine, except that during summer I avoid hairdryer (in winter I use it cold) and when in sunny places I use much mango butter or oil to protect my hair...

Carina
June 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I tend to do more deep treatments and I use oil on my ends alot more in the cold months.I use more conditioner when I wash my hair then I use schampo in the summer.

jojo
June 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
My hair seems to like CO washes more in summer, if you can call it that here in the Uk. Yet in winder it needs shampoo.