PDA

View Full Version : what is "plopping"?

cutastrophe
March 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Just curious, I've seen it mentioned and I have no idea what it is. :o Thanks!

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
i want to know this too, i think its wrapping your wet hair in a towel to give it a wave but im not quite sure how.

Dont like the term though, in the uk plopping is what you do in the toilet!!

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 07:34 PM
i would like to know this too..

Feisty Redhead
March 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Here, this explains it: http://www.naturallycurly.com/its-a-curly-world/to-plop-or-not-to-plop

:)

Rosemary
March 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Plopping Diagram (http://www.naturallycurly.com/images/articles/plopping.jpg)

It sounds like some new exercise trend. ‘Plopping’ refers to a method of helping to create curl structure prior to diffusing or air drying that has become a favorite among NaturallyCurly.com members.
As described by a member, after one washes and conditions the hair, you apply product to wet hair and get ready to ‘plop.’ Put a t-shirt or Aquis (http://curlmart.com/Aquis-Mimis-Diva-Dryer-Hair-Towel-p-156.html) towel down on a chair - some use the toilet with seat down. Leaning over the towel/t-shirt with your head hanging down bent over from your waist, position the wet hair onto towel so the curls are all concentrated on top of the head. Then pull the towel taut against the top and sides of the head, grabbing the 2 sides and twisting them into long sausage rolls near each ear. Take these rolled up towel extensions and pull them to the nape of the neck and secure them by tying them together.
Says one reader, “Then I put go about my morning routine — makeup, coffee, etc. The towel helps to absorb excess water while letting the curls ’set’ into clumps. When you take the towel off, gently shake down the curls and diffuse ’s’ shaped, individual curly locks, with some volume at the roots.”
If you want extra control, another member suggests spritzing on on some spray gel or scrunch in a bit more gel after you take the towel off.

And here is a video...............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qD38ZYX6A

Feisty Redhead
March 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Oh, there's also a video here: http://jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html (the one for "plunking")

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Ooh great thanks for asking. I've always wondered what plopping was too but assummed it had something to do with scrunching. I think I'm going to try this tonight. :)

Patrycja
March 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for that link Fiesty Redhead I've ran across that article before but never had it down right.That video showed me how to do it right.

and she is super likeable.I will have to order some Jessicurl stuff very soon..

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
thanks from me too x

ohjezebel
March 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I like to plop into a big (XL) worn t-shirt. I don't roll it like it says in the video. I spread the t-shirt out on the bed, hem towards me, collar and sleeves away. I bend over and arrange my hair in the middle of the shirt. I put the hem of the t-shirt on my forehead and wrap the ends back around my head. Then I put the collar of the t-shirt against the back of my neck (hair caught up in the body of the shirt), wrap the sleeves forward around my head, and tie them just above my forehead.

So the hem and the sleeves/collar are wrapped firmly around the edges of my scalp, and the body of the shirt forms a kind of bag that holds my hair loosely. That's comfortable and pretty secure - I can even take a nap in it if I'm careful. It also lets my natural wurly-ness show through - wavy near my scalp to ringlets at the end - without disturbing the scalp hair too much.

Stagecoach
March 13th, 2008, 05:43 AM
How does straighter hair (1c) respond to plopping?

intothemist1999
April 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that link Fiesty Redhead I've ran across that article before but never had it down right.That video showed me how to do it right.

and she is super likeable.I will have to order some Jessicurl stuff very soon..

I just watched that video! I, too, was struck by her personality! She's got a lovely laugh, too :)

intothemist1999
April 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM

bump! :)

shell78
April 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Somebody with 1c hair should experiment and post pics! Based on what I've read at naturallycurly, plopping doesn't work that well on shorter hair but most folks here wouldn't have that problem.

I would imagine that if you had a teensy bit of wave and you plopped, that it would encourage that natural wave. Using a gel or some type of product with hold would probably help hold the wave too.

Of course, if you followed the plop with combing or brushing, it would probably pull it all out, so you'd pretty much have to plop and then shake it out a little and scrunch.

WritingPrincess
April 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I have 1c hair, too, but when I oil my hair, it looks a lot closer to 2a. I'm interested in this, and I'll have to experiment.

1MegMeg
April 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
My hair is 1c-2a (more on the 2a side) and plopping/plunking works wonderfully. I start the process when I am still in the shower and my hair is sopping wet. I hang my head upside do, apply some product (a light weight gel), and scrunch my hair to encourage curl. Then I get out of the shower and wrap it up in a towel (well not "wrap", but plop/plunk) and leave it for 10-15 minutes. I take it out and leave my hair alone (no excessive touching, no brushing, etc.) while it finishes drying. It dries in beautiful, defined, frizz-free curls.

I'll do some plopping in the next couple of days and post some pictures. :)

florenonite
April 19th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I like to plop into a big (XL) worn t-shirt. I don't roll it like it says in the video. I spread the t-shirt out on the bed, hem towards me, collar and sleeves away. I bend over and arrange my hair in the middle of the shirt. I put the hem of the t-shirt on my forehead and wrap the ends back around my head. Then I put the collar of the t-shirt against the back of my neck (hair caught up in the body of the shirt), wrap the sleeves forward around my head, and tie them just above my forehead.

So the hem and the sleeves/collar are wrapped firmly around the edges of my scalp, and the body of the shirt forms a kind of bag that holds my hair loosely. That's comfortable and pretty secure - I can even take a nap in it if I'm careful. It also lets my natural wurly-ness show through - wavy near my scalp to ringlets at the end - without disturbing the scalp hair too much.

Ooh, this looks like a good way of doing it. Thanks!

Katze
April 19th, 2008, 03:50 AM
my hair is on the straighter side of wavy, too, and plopping or plunking works well for me (though I also don't like the name, sounds nasty! )

I just get a (fresh) towel and put it on the edge of the tub, after I've dried myself and toweldried my hair a bit. I let my hair fall onto the towel then gather it up, sometimes twisting in opposite directions like in the instructions, but usually I am too lazy. For me, the point is to get my hair curled on the top of my head, and let it dry like that. A hoodie or a towel just held on my head any which way works, too.

This is the main way I dry my hair, and since I wash nights and go to bed like this, I usually fall asleep with the towel on. I would never put product (except a bit of coconut oil on damp hair) in my hair like this because then it would get HUGE and unmanageable; instead, I put my gel-and-leave-in-conditioner mix on the next morning, when I'm getting ready.

For my waves, this works about as well as scrunching. If I keep doing it (plopping my hair inside a hoodie or hat, or scrunching my length) I get beautiful spiral curls on day 2. My hair seems to get wavier the 'dirtier' it is, at least on the length, and I like encouraging it.

hth!

intothemist1999
April 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
I tried a plopping experiement today.

I don't have pics at this time (no digital) but took a regular photo after I took the faux-turbie off. I'll take one in the morning when I wake up and later in the day to see how it held.

I didn't use anything on the hair (forgot to put aloe vera in before wrapping, and also coconut oil), but it's definitely more wavy than usual.

I had it wrapped normally in the turban for around 10 minutes to get some of the dampness out. Then I switched to another one: I did the bend and pile the hair, then gathered it against my head with one hand and put the top of the turban in place while still bending over. Then I straightened up and twisted the tail (no hair in it since it was all on top of my head) and buttoned it in place.

I left it for around 2 hours and it's almost completely dry. Will keep you posted!

ETA: I think I may rub some coconut oil on my hands and scrunch it in...the hair is looking rather dry.

BrianaFineHair
April 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Dont like the term though, in the uk plopping is what you do in the toilet!!

BAHAHAHAAA!!! jojo, that comment caught me off guard!

:laugh:

mommy2one05
April 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
I would love to see some pics of fairly straight hair after plopping ... to know if i want to try this

intothemist1999
April 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
I would love to see some pics of fairly straight hair after plopping ... to know if i want to try this

Well....after my experiment last night....

It looked pretty good after letting it down but stretched out some by the time I went to bed a few hours later. This morning it looks pretty much back to normal :shrug:

Bear in mind I did not use any sort of styling/hold product. I think it would have held for while (maybe not into the next day though) if I'd used mousse, gel, or hairspray.

creativehoney
May 16th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I didn't know what this was either...
But I agree, the name sounds like, um.....using the toilet. Lol

We should make a new name for it like um......towel scrunching. ;)
I was going to ask that question to but wasn't quite sure how to phrase that.
"how to plop?"
"how do you plop?"
"what is plopping?"
"what is a plop?"
Lol
I just happened to stumble on this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this sounds funny.

But I'm definatly going to try plopping!
Lol how funny does that sound?! :D
I got some aloe gel yesterday.
Yay, a new experiment.

AlisaB
May 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
You take a microfibre towel and lay it out horizontally in front of you. Then you bend over and accordion your hair down onto the towel, putting your forehead at the edge of it. You take the ends, and twirl them and then secure then with an elastic at the back of your head. Theres some good videos on youtube about how to do this! Apparently some curly haired people can do this over night and their hair looks really nice in the morning.