PDA

View Full Version : Damage from dyeing?

periwink
March 31st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hello,

I was hoping that someone could clarify what exactly is happening to my hair. I'm Asian, with very straight, silky, thick hair. It's about bra-strap length right now, and usually in very good condition-- no shedding, rarely tangles, not dry. I've dyed it dark brown a few times, and didn't notice any major damage. Recently, after waiting for three months, I dyed it to a dark burgundy color.

Well, last night, I was examining my hair in the mirror and noticed that throughout my mostly straight hair there were quite a few wavy hairs; by wavy I mean that at the ends they would start forming very small waves with a sort of rough kinky texture that's unlike the rest of my hair. (This doesn't happen with entire strands, only individual hairs.)

I can only presume that this is damage from the dye, because my hair doesn't do this naturally. It really freaked me out. Is this a normal result of dyeing?

Firefox7275
March 31st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Welcome! :) If you complete your profile including your current routine it will be easier for people to give you tailored advice.

There is not really a normal result of dying, some people experience a lot of damage and others do not. That depends on your hair type, how strong the chemicals you use are, how often you dye your hair, how you treat your hair the rest of the time. I've got whole sections that are in reasonably good shape and others that are broken because of how I used to wear a ponytail all the time and twirl my hair. A permanent burgundy probably has peroxide and ammonia in, and that will damage your hair somewhat. If you are changing the colour regularly my guess is the ends have been processed a few times, plus they are older and more fragile than the rest of your hair.

RitaCeleste
March 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM
I dye my hair but it is wavy naturally. I've damaged it pretty bad over the years. What you really need to watch out for is brittle hair or stretchy hair. DeveloPlus makes an after color conditioner just called ColorCare which does a pretty good deep conditioning treatment. I am using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner for deep conditioning and as a leave-in right now and really LOVE it for dry damaged hair. Also the first week after coloring the hair is more fragile than it will be in a couple of weeks. I don't know why the hair feels stronger after time, I just know mine does.

morecowbell
April 1st, 2011, 06:37 AM
Welcome to Lhc! :D
Sometimes damage can cause hair to change texture, so yes, it could definitely the dye causing some of your hairs to be wavy. A good deep treatment is in order, but it doesn't sound as if you've damaged your hair too badly, so don't despair! :)

Tiina
April 1st, 2011, 07:03 AM
Welcome to LHC. :flower:

I also have straight natural hair. Using permanent dye upon dye makes my hair wavier as well. Oiling has helped the crunchy feel go away but the waviness is not likely to disappear without trimming. Protein-y conditioners made my hair feel much worse used too soon after dying so I suggest you avoid them for now.

NaClH2O
April 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Well, last night, I was examining my hair in the mirror and noticed that throughout my mostly straight hair there were quite a few wavy hairs; by wavy I mean that at the ends they would start forming very small waves with a sort of rough kinky texture that's unlike the rest of my hair. (This doesn't happen with entire strands, only individual hairs.)

I can only presume that this is damage from the dye, because my hair doesn't do this naturally. It really freaked me out. Is this a normal result of dyeing?

I get these crazy types of hairs too!! I dye my hair, but had them before I started doing so. I can only guess that it is because my hair consists of multiple textures. Some single strands are stick straight, some are wavy, and some are coarse and kinky. It's all natural and nothing to worry about.

teela1978
April 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
My hair was much wavier when I was dying, so yes I'd say its damage from the dye.

Amraann
April 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Shedding is normal and not a sign of damage in and of itself.

Lianna
April 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
This sounds like damage from over bleaching, were they stretchy? It's very unlikely that just a hair dye would cause that much damage, specially on you with coarse hair texture, but it's possible I guess.

It's common to have some very coarse crinkly hairs in any hair texture, though (not sure if that's your case here):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33446
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37608
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61634

jojo
April 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
waving and curling on normally straight hair can be a sign of dryness, which could be due to the dye. Plenty of oilings and/or deep conditionings will help loads.