PDA

View Full Version : Need barrette ideas or something to hold bangs back!

monsterna
March 31st, 2011, 01:11 PM
I'm growing out my bangs right now and it's awful. They are almost the same length all over, but the longest of them are about chin level. So they definitely go behind the ears, but they're starting to come back around from behind my ear and get stuck in this curved shape! It looks really awkward, especially since I part my hair on the side and so the thinner side is very noticeable. It's been made worse the last few months from Monistat. I've got a lot of new growth at the front of my hairline, so I have my bangs PLUS these little baby hairs that want to do their own thing and make my bangs appear bumpy in weird places.

I wash my hair at night to avoid needing to blow dry it, and it's a 50/50 chance my hair, let alone my bangs, will look decent immediately upon waking up. So that doesn't help with the bang awkwardness. Luckily this time I'm seeing it through and growing them out and not trimming or chopping them anymore. But I need some help along the way.

I've never been one for holding my bangs back. I can't wear bobby pins to save my life. But I've never tried barrettes or anything like that before. Something cute I could wear to work daily. Does anyone have this same problem and any pull back methods/products you use? I'm very interested because I don't want to deal with an ugly fringe anymore lest it prompts me to chop!

cindy58
March 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM
When I was growing my bangs out I used to french braid them starting at the hairline, finishing up where you would fasten them in a half-up with a pretty barrette. It seemed to work really well. I have many gorgeous barrettes that I bought from various places, many of them from ebay stores.

Malibu Barbie
March 31st, 2011, 01:56 PM
When I was growing out bangs I used barrettes and headbands. Most of the time I curled my hair and brushed it back until they reached around chin length then it was barrettes and headbands from there. I also use these little jaw kind of things I don't know what you call them (clips). You might try those mini combs.

Anje
March 31st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Half-ups are good, though they might need to sit on top of your head at this stage, to contain the bangs. So are french braids, or two french braids if the bangs are too short to go into one. Finally, there's headbands!

I feel your pain. I grew my bangs out when I was 10, and I still remember it as awful. Never again!!!! I don't care how cute my DH thinks I look in those old pictures!

I also seem to recall the ends curling straight up behind the wide cloth headbands I wore to keep them out of my way. There are some much wider headcovering headbands than I had, which would help that issue. Here (http://www.coveryourhair.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&category_id=6&lang=en&page=shop.browse_all), here (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/group.pl?id=52), and here (http://www.haircoverings.com/wide-headbands.html).

Lianna
March 31st, 2011, 03:12 PM
I use gel to smooth my bangs into my updos. If you really can't wear bobby pins, you could try snap clips (http://mob133.photobucket.com/albums/q74/drsupachai/w0913/blackHair.jpg?t=1269087773). Sometimes I use bobby pins, but I think "the wrong way" because they show. :p I rather let them show than wear something flashy (and another flashy thing to hold the updo).

monsterna
March 31st, 2011, 03:15 PM
My bangs aren't long enough to be contained in my half ups, let alone a braid. I have APL hair almost and due to the layers I can't even braid my length properly.

I REALLY hate the shape of my head and my profile looks weird with my hair pulled back in most ways. I wear ponytails and half ups a lot but it takes me at least 5 minutes, usually more, to get it to look decent and poof at the right spots, because my head is so awkwardly shaped to me (probably isn't to anyone else). So headbands are a big no for me (or I haven't found a suitable one yet).

I'll try to find some barrettes and see how that goes. Maybe I can try to get a picture up later to give people a better idea of what I'm dealing with here, haha. The bangs seem so thin yet thick at the same time. It's hard to explain. :)

Lianna
March 31st, 2011, 03:22 PM
My bangs aren't even chin length yet. You try to part them to the side, pin down with bobby pins like this (http://www.best-kids-hairstyles.com/images/Side-Pony-Flower2-Step3.jpg) or the snap clip (which I don't think it looks good with half-ups, only updos, but that's your choice). See how the bobby pin is in the picture, you just have to slide it in, really. You don't need to braid like the girl, but I think that's what some people meant, a braid like that can be done with very short hair (about an inch for those with experience!). :)

spidermom
March 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Can you lace braid? It makes a pretty head-band type effect for holding bangs/fringe back.

selderon
March 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM
I found that I was able to manage my bangs by making a (subtle) pouf and securing them with bobby pins in an X or supporting them with gel, smoothing them into the rest of my hair and giving a little extra hold with bobby pins.