PDA

View Full Version : do some people just have frizz?

bella77
March 31st, 2011, 09:34 AM
my hair appears smooth in photos, but it always looks frizzy in person. It does not lay smooth, maybe because I do have some natural wave and as it gets longer, it seems to get more wavy. I like to encourage the wave, it makes the frizz less noticeable, but do some people just have frizzy hair and unless you coat the hair to make it lay absolutley flat, it will always be frizzy no matter what you do? I have tried blow drying, not blow drying, serums, oiling, different methods of shampoo and conditioner, rinses. I think I am just one of these people. You can see in my album what I am talking about. The hair looks smooth, but you can tell that it is not really like that. Maybe I am getting new growth too and these pieces are sticking out more? I don't know, it makes me crazy, but I think I have to just accept the fact that my hair is not perfectly straight and smooth!

In2wishin
March 31st, 2011, 09:40 AM
my hair appears smooth in photos, but it always looks frizzy in person. It does not lay smooth, maybe because I do have some natural wave and as it gets longer, it seems to get more wavy. I like to encourage the wave, it makes the frizz less noticeable, but do some people just have frizzy hair and unless you coat the hair to make it lay absolutley flat, it will always be frizzy no matter what you do? I have tried blow drying, not blow drying, serums, oiling, different methods of shampoo and conditioner, rinses. I think I am just one of these people. You can see in my album what I am talking about. The hair looks smooth, but you can tell that it is not really like that. Maybe I am getting new growth too and these pieces are sticking out more? I don't know, it makes me crazy, but I think I have to just accept the fact that my hair is not perfectly straight and smooth!

In one word: YES !

I am a full time fizzy too. The short new hairs that are constantly growing in to replace the shed ones will have a bit of curl to them and they will always frizz, the more humid the better. I have given up trying to tame them: any product used to keep them down makes me look like I have a helmet head or I haven't washed my hair in ages :(

Tiina
March 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM
My new growth sticks up no matter what I do and my hair is almost perfectly straight. I'm pretty sure everyone has it to some extent. I wouldn't worry about it, it isn't damage or anything bad. I can barely notice the frizz in the pictures in your album. Your hair looks lovely and I love the colour. :flower:

wke
March 31st, 2011, 09:55 AM
yes I'm also a wavy with constant frizz, I think that my major problem is that my hair is too fine (and light in weight) so it just can float around

bella77
March 31st, 2011, 09:56 AM
yes I'm also a wavy with constant frizz, I think that my major problem is that my hair is too fine (and light in weight) so it just can float around mine too, I call my hair spiderwebs, cause that's what each strand feels like.

wke
March 31st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I just took a look at your pictures and must say that you have very shiny and healthy looking hair so keep on growing ;)
The frizz factor made me cut my hair short a few years ago (it was only APL) but now Im planning to keep on growing until it reaches bsl or waist. But I have a long way to go because I'm a slow grower and it's now just back at APL (but the frizz can not discourage me anymore :))

spidermom
March 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM
Oh yes. I always have lots of new hairs that fluff out all over the surface. If I want them down, I have to apply the heavy controls (styling wax, styling putty), although usually a light finish with styling gel or aloe vera gel smoothed over the surface from the palms of my hands is enough control.

bella77
March 31st, 2011, 10:29 AM
I just took a look at your pictures and must say that you have very shiny and healthy looking hair so keep on growing ;)
The frizz factor made me cut my hair short a few years ago (it was only APL) but now Im planning to keep on growing until it reaches bsl or waist. But I have a long way to go because I'm a slow grower and it's now just back at APL (but the frizz can not discourage me anymore :))
thank you wke- I know what you mean, I have not had really long hair since I was a child because I always get irritated with the way it looked so I hacked it off. I do color, and heat style, but not often. I do have a little damage at the ends on a small section in the back, probably from repeated use of brush and blowdryer to tame unruly hair. But I have come to realize, that no hair is perfect, and this is MY hair and I should love it for what it is. I am trying to grow some layers out, so I will keep trimming just the ends, but only every few months or so. If I put it up, I don't fret so much about how it looks.

bella77
March 31st, 2011, 10:30 AM
:cheese:
Oh yes. I always have lots of new hairs that fluff out all over the surface. If I want them down, I have to apply the heavy controls (styling wax, styling putty), although usually a light finish with styling gel or aloe vera gel smoothed over the surface from the palms of my hands is enough control.
I use a spritzer of jojoba, aloe gel, bottled water and this does help tame it a bit.

Look how long your hair has gotten!!! It looks fabulous!!!
:cheese:

jojo
March 31st, 2011, 11:04 AM
its seems most people in the type 2 catagory get frizz. My hair also gets wavier the longer it gets but AVG and a little serum sorts it out.

Anje
March 31st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Like so many others, I think frizz is a part of life. My new growth is curly for a few inches before the follicle chickens out and just makes loose waves. So uncut ends anywhere through the length, the short hairs near my hairline -- all frizz.

I live with it. Occasionally spackle it down with something oily and heavy, but it takes a lot more than AVG to hide those determined curly things.

ETA: Shampoo definitely makes it worse for me!

krissykins
March 31st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Frizz could be a sign of curls that aren't forming properly. :p

Mesmerise
April 1st, 2011, 01:09 AM

I know what you mean about frizz...mine is the same! The only way it seems I can tame it is with a straightening iron.

Anyway, I think your hair looks just lovely and way thicker than an i, I would think you were at least ii! It looks a lot thicker than mine anyway :)

Firefox7275
April 1st, 2011, 01:50 AM
Depends on your definition of frizz, if you hair is in good condition I'd call it fluffy or poofy: frizz to me is curly hair that is dry from chemicals and/ or mechanical damage. My hair has become less of a fluffy/ poofy nightmare since I started treating it a little more like curly hair (comb, scrunch). From what I can see from tutorials Curly Girls don't necessarily use a lot of product but they do apply sopping wet, plop and suchlike whereas I turban mine until only damp. If we all went natural we'd only finger comb, yet a lot of wavies brush. I can't see how one method of hair care can be deemed more or less natural than another, therefore I don't see that the result is any more or less natural. :confused:

Rini
April 1st, 2011, 03:35 AM
I give you Exhibit A: this thread (with pic) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67940)

Yeah, frizz is just natural for our hair type :(

Earth Angel
April 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
Mine is the same, Its naturally wavy and very fine so after its washed and left to air dry (even with conditoner) it goes kind of 'fluffy'...a bit like candy floss lol. I have started to put a little jojoba oil in it now afterwards to tame it a bit and make it more shiny looking which seems to help :)

Fairlight63
April 1st, 2011, 06:22 AM
Thats the same as mine! It is fine when wet but when it dries each hair takes on a life of its own & fluffs up. I have to bun it, it looks so awful!

bella77
April 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
I give you Exhibit A: this thread (with pic) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=67940)

Yeah, frizz is just natural for our hair type :(
at least you have new hair growing in which is a good thing!!! you did make me smile with that pic tho dear!! LOL.:p

UltraBella
April 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Frizz-head here, checking in !
I have just embraced my frizz, it no longer bothers me. My hair is frizzy unless I use my Caruso mollecular hairsetter. Then it's just perfect, but otherwise, FRIZZ. My hair is really wavy with a super crazy frizzy section right at my crown. I wish the worst area was atleast hidden underneath the bulk of my hair instead of sitting right on the top of my head !

Intotouch
April 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
I used to think that some people's hair is naturally frizzy. But now? I have no idea! If you wash with nothing but water and never cut it is that what your natural hair would look like? Would the oils build up and coat the hair and would the frizz go? Would the split ends go all the way to the roots and you'd end up with a ball of fuzz?

After some experiments i'm not sure what my own hair naturally is! I know if i use a heavy dose ACV rinse my hair "sets" in crisp curls and looks a shade darker. If i use SLS shampoo i get fluffy frizzy candyfloss. If i deep condition it looks silky and has soft curls for a couple of days and then gets a bit frizzy.

What is anyone's natural hair anyway? Even in the stone age people used soaproot and then soap. Last year a body from 2000 years ago was discovered in a bog in Ireland. Bogs preserve hair and skin. This guy had spiked his hair with a hair gel. Not only that but this gel was made from pine sap that had to come from Scandinavia. It was expensive, imported hair gel! Maybe a human's hair is "naturally" whatever we can force it to be. Once it's out of the folicle all bets are off!

Oh, in case you're interested i put ACV with water in a spray and it helps on the frizz too on dry hair. I haven't found the perfect rinse but the one i used that left be with crisp curls was 1 part ACV to 4 parts water. I think that was too strong though because for me it left it too stiff. I hope this helps a bit.

ravenreed
April 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have less frizz than when I used traditional shampoos, but it is still there. Those little hairs are ready to pop up at the slightest provocation. I haven't found anything except heavy styling aides that would control it, and I gave up using those on a regular basis a long time ago.

phistash
April 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM
In one word: YES !

I am a full time fizzy too. The short new hairs that are constantly growing in to replace the shed ones will have a bit of curl to them and they will always frizz, the more humid the better. I have given up trying to tame them: any product used to keep them down makes me look like I have a helmet head or I haven't washed my hair in ages :(

Raises hand. That describes my hair perfectly. I always have new hairs growing in, and no product is capable of making them lie flat. I have, however, found that washing with cool water and rinsing with the coldest water I can stand helps a lot. I try to hold my head under cold water for a full minute at the end of my shower.
If I don't do this, those new hairs are guaranteed to stand straight up.

kitschy
April 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Frizz? I laugh at what you all are calling frizz. My name IS frizz.:cheer:

Lianna
April 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM
I have frizz too. So far, I think it's a texture thing, but I could be wrong. What makes most difference for it is lightly oil it while damp. If I want everything in place I need to bun it for a while (semi-dry is best).

Firefox7275
April 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
What is anyone's natural hair anyway? Even in the stone age people used soaproot and then soap. Last year a body from 2000 years ago was discovered in a bog in Ireland. Bogs preserve hair and skin. This guy had spiked his hair with a hair gel. Not only that but this gel was made from pine sap that had to come from Scandinavia. It was expensive, imported hair gel! Maybe a human's hair is "naturally" whatever we can force it to be. Once it's out of the folicle all bets are off!

Oooh did not know this *trots off to Google*.

princessp
April 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
My new growth sticks up no matter what I do and my hair is almost perfectly straight. I'm pretty sure everyone has it to some extent. I wouldn't worry about it, it isn't damage or anything bad. I can barely notice the frizz in the pictures in your album. Your hair looks lovely and I love the colour. :flower:

Lol, my hair is not straight but the new growth always sticks up too. It is annoying, but I'm learning to try to love it (it is new growth after all).

pepperminttea
April 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM
I'm a constant frizzhead too, even on oily days I get the few that resist. :p I'm used to them, and I kind of like how the ones around my face form loose frizzy curls in high humidity. Part of the joy of being in between straight and wurly for me.

getoffmyskittle
April 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yup. :agree:

terpentyna
April 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM
Nobody in my family has frizz like I do. I'm sure there are many factors that go into it.

I just try to take care of my hair and I convince myself that frizz is proof that new hair is growing. haha!

Lostsoule77
April 1st, 2011, 03:58 PM
I get the new hairs sticking up ALWAYS (my fi loves to pull them up, he thinks it looks cute!)

I also always have frizz down my length. It used to be worse before I found LHC. I used to shampoo with a 2-in-1 and only condition once a week. If I didn't want frizz I used mousse while my hair was soaking wet. It looked good (there's proof in my album), but felt hard and crunchy. Now I still use the 2-in-1 (I'm gonna try co, but have too much 2-in-1 at home to stop yet), but I condition every time I wash. Plus I started to finger comb 99% of the time instead of using my brush and comb. I also use some conditioner as a leave-in. Now I can wear my hair down and while it is still poofier than using products it is at a place where I don't feel I have to put it up and I actually like how it looks.

Starr
April 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
My hair is permanantly frizzy. It's big, unruly, and super frizzy. Still haven't found anything to combat it, so for now I just live with it.