PDA

View Full Version : Hate the salon? I do

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 09:02 AM
I def need someone to cut my hair and resort to people who know what they're doing. Last time I tried myself I ended up going to a salon for them to fix it and it had to be cut above shoulders.

Whenever I go though it seems EVERY stylist have to give me their opinions about my hair? It's too long, it should be dyed this color, when I wanted to relax my out of control baby hairs only they're like you shouldn't want it straight look at the girl right there she likes her hair why can't you?

One even gave me an attitude because my hair was too long and she had to blow dry it (I was forced to go due to a friend's wedding as a bridesmaid). I want them to shut their pie hole and just do their job

Debra83
March 31st, 2011, 09:09 AM
I def need someone to cut my hair and resort to people who know what they're doing. Last time I tried myself I ended up going to a salon for them to fix it and it had to be cut above shoulders.

Whenever I go though it seems EVERY stylist have to give me their opinions about my hair? It's too long, it should be dyed this color, when I wanted to relax my out of control baby hairs only they're like you shouldn't want it straight look at the girl right there she likes her hair why can't you?

One even gave me an attitude because my hair was too long and she had to blow dry it (I was forced to go due to a friend's wedding as a bridesmaid). I want them to shut their pie hole and just do their job

Don't forget they are paid to give their opinion and promote products as well. A lot of people will go to a hair dresser and give them carte blanche...."do whatever you think looks best" type thing, and of course there are not many hairdressers around here who don't expect to actually cut your hair when you go in!

Just make very, very sure that you communicate what you want before you sit down, down to the last gritty detail! Then you should avoid any upset. Good luck! :cheese:

GlassWidow
March 31st, 2011, 09:22 AM
I was just going to say what Debra83 said. :)

I'll add that hair stylists aren't bad people. Many of them are renting the chair from the salon, though, so they want to make as much as possible on each client so that they can afford the rent for their chair AND afford their house and food and clothing.

It might seem silly, but finding the right hair stylist is kind of like finding the right doctor. If you have strong opinions on how you want to be treated, you probably wouldn't just go to the first doctor who had an open appointment. You'd probably find out if their philosophy jibes with your own, and decide whether you feel comfortable allowing yourself to be under their care; if not, keep looking. You could always go into a salon and ask to have a quick talk with one of the stylists before you make an appointment. If you aren't comfortable with his or her "vibe", don't make the appointment. It often costs more, but you could also request to have the salon owner cut your hair. He or she will have more investment in whether or not you are happy with the results, and often they will have more experience, too.

At any rate, good luck. I hope you are happy with the results!

elbow chic
March 31st, 2011, 09:24 AM
There is one I don't mind-- it's mostly patronized by military women and thus super-duper unfashionable. The stylists there abide by the letter of what you tell them to do. :p

I don't like the "nice" salons in town because I always feel pretty frumpy and countrified while I'm there... and then I wind up getting talked into something that doesn't work for me in the long run.

Layers and three inches off the bottom!

But I don't blame the stylist. She wants people to walk out of there feeling like their hair is amazing, and a lot of the time I'm sure they DON'T know how to describe to her what they really want.

"Just a small trim" can mean a something pretty different to your average salon client than it would to an LHCer.

frost pattern
March 31st, 2011, 09:25 AM
Why not visiting more than one salon and interview the people to see who makes you feel best? You can tell them honestly why you don't like to have something done in a salon and then await there response: Do they listen to you, or do they tell you what you'd get in their opinion?

The people at my salon know me well by now and always do what I want, they even answer my questions very open and detailed. But last week they gave me some samples of L'Oreal nature stuff (shampoo and mask), telling me it's all natural and I can try it confidently. I didn't have my microscope with me, so I couldn't read it's details. The shampoo isn't bad, but the mask contains cones, so I wonder what do with it now since it's not suitable for my hair.

Fingolphin
March 31st, 2011, 09:33 AM
The one I've usually gone to for trims is quite good, although rather expensive. They give you a back and neck massage, a drink, they listen really well to what you want, and in general I've had good experiences with them. The only think I don't like is that when I've been in a hurry and told them I don't need the neck massage or some other element of the pampering, they don't take anything off the price. ;)

Mountaingrrl
March 31st, 2011, 09:37 AM
Maybe one of these would work for you, if you're close enough?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11326

Lamb
March 31st, 2011, 09:39 AM
:lol: @ Fingolphin!

OP, you might want to check out a cheap place - a chain salon with a name like Supercuts or Topcuts or whatever. Or a barber's shop. At places like these, stylists don't sell products and don't cut more than they have to, because they don't get more money whatever they do. Besides, these pop-in places tend not to expect their clients to return, so there is no need to give them cuts that need maintenance (unless the client asks for one of course).

And because I can't resist: I must say I find thread titles like yours offensive to stylists, and we have many of them here on board. Most stylists are quite excellent at their job, and they are not out to get your hair or you.
I get it, you've been having bad luck with salons lately. But "hate"?? Please don't. :flower:

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 09:40 AM
There is one I don't mind-- it's mostly patronized by military women and thus super-duper unfashionable. The stylists there abide by the letter of what you tell them to do. :p

This is what I want. Usually I ask my hair to be cut in long layers. But that's about it, no blow drying, no dying I want to keep my hair my natural color, all I want is for you to cut it.

I'll take the suggestions for hair products, but I wont take the *grabs hair* and scoff attitude

Lamb
March 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Oh, and browsing the articles section here has many benefits. ;)
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=175

pinchbeck
March 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM
I am the queen of hair cutting horror stories. As one person said, interview potential stylists to see if they're on the same page as you. One stylist last summer cut off my length when I told him in the beginning not to. He also brushed my wet hair with a paddle brush and didn't take care while doing it. I told him I would detangle my hair myself with my wide toothed comb.

My hair cut had to be rectified by another stylist who actually listend to me. He was honest and said it would take three hair cuts to fix what had been done to my hair and stated that the outcome of this first hair cut by him would be a result of his techinique combined with the former butcher hairstylist. What made me look crazy is when he came at me with a paddle brush - I freaked and told him to keep it away from my hair. I was like a scared dog in a cage. He said he wouldn't rip my hair and he didn't. He was the most gentlist!

So, being on the same page counts but it's hard to ensure if the stylist will honour our desisre to keep our hair long.

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 09:47 AM
The one I've usually gone to for trims is quite good, although rather expensive. They give you a back and neck massage, a drink, they listen really well to what you want, and in general I've had good experiences with them. The only think I don't like is that when I've been in a hurry and told them I don't need the neck massage or some other element of the pampering, they don't take anything off the price. ;)

I found one online and it seems to me that, unlike the salons I've gone to, the guy does exactly what you describe. He has awesome reviews, listens and gives sane hair advice. Down is he's expensive but I'll spend the extra bucks for good service:D

Maybe one of these would work for you, if you're close enough?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11326

Thank you! :cool: I'll check these out

spidermom
March 31st, 2011, 09:47 AM
I love the salon. My stylist makes me feel special.

You could lurk. Go in and pretend to look at style books but observe the stylists. If anybody asks to help you, tell them you are contemplating a new haircut and looking for ideas. If you see a stylist whose attitude you like, make an appointment.

Or get a recommendation from somebody whose hair you like.

Plus consider that a stylist's opinion is just an opinion; we all have them. A lot of times, they have really good suggestions. For instance, I took my SIL to see my stylist last weekend. She hadn't had a trim in years, doesn't do much to take care of her hair, works outside in construction, and her hair was broken all to pieces all over the place. The stylist did a very conservative trim because I'd warned her that my SIL was afraid of stylists and of losing too much length. The stylist did tell my SIL that she could benefit even more by taking off another 4-5 inches (which is true), and SIL said "maybe next time". And that was the end of that. My SIL really enjoyed her pampering session and said she wants to go with me next time, too.

ericthegreat
March 31st, 2011, 10:23 AM

I'm sorry, but with words like that I have to say that you yourself have quite a bad attitude. No matter how bad a job stylist did on your hair, the fact remains that they performed a service on you. In any public service kind of job, you will very quickly learn that no matter how skilled and good you are at your job, you will always get some people who will dislike and even utter hate whatever service you do for them. It is very hard to always be happy and cheery and polite to all your customers, especially when some of them shoot daggers at you and some of them even throw a fit and scream and curse at you.

Ask me how I know, well I'm a hairstylist myself. And several other members here on LHC are also stylists. Yes, there are certainly some bad stylists out there, but there are also many good ones. And in my experience, I have never met any fellow hairstylist that deliberately intends to make their client unhappy. Some of them may be pushy with their own ideas about what kind of haircut/color would look best on you, but the truth of the matter is that is in fact part of a hairstylist's training. We are taught color theory and what kind of haircuts/lengths look best on a specific face shape, so when we talk to a client this is how we proceed. For example, if you are tall with an oval shaped face with a long neck, and you walk in with hip length hair. Now you may have very beautiful hip length hair and only intend to trim your ends, but a professional stylist might tell you that you would look great with a bob cut above your shoulders with long side bangs. And the truth is, that kind of cut would look great on you, it would show off your neck and the long bangs would balance out your oval shaped face. That stylist was just giving you a good suggestion, no harm no foul. You always still have the freedom to politely opt out of that kind of haircut, or ask for a different stylist if you still feel uncomfortable going forward.

BabyRay33
March 31st, 2011, 10:24 AM
I do get what you mean. I went to get feather extensions last weekend and the stylist immediately commented that I NEED color and a cut. I said that I liked it the way it was.

But she killed my mood though. I have been working really hard to take good care of my hair and I think it looks healthy and shiny for once, but she was telling me (in my mind) that it looks crappy and that I should change it.

I understand that they need to sell their products and services, but asking me if there is anything else I was thinking about doing would be a better way than being horrified by my natural hair.

Rant over

Fingolphin
March 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM
I do get what you mean. I went to get feather extensions last weekend and the stylist immediately commented that I NEED color and a cut. I said that I liked it the way it was.

But she killed my mood though. I have been working really hard to take good care of my hair and I think it looks healthy and shiny for once, but she was telling me (in my mind) that it looks crappy and that I should change it.

I understand that they need to sell their products and services, but asking me if there is anything else I was thinking about doing would be a better way than being horrified by my natural hair.

Rant over

I can totally understand all the points of view in this thread. It is true, though, that like the above poster, I have had my good mood and confidence shattered by comments from a stylist that said my hair didn't look good or something to that effect.

jojo
March 31st, 2011, 11:11 AM
I hate salons too but its only due to a bad experience. I can't really say I hate all salons in general but id go as far to say I have a bit of a phobia going on!

Mens barbers are really good though, they are way to scared of cutting too much off in my experience. I have even booked myself into a George Michael salon in London, which is expensive but id rather pay and know my expereince will be positive.

But barbers are a good choice and cheap too.

eta- i actually think im a salons worst nightmare as I fanny about asking every second to see how much they are trimming! poor woman was a nervous wreck after me!

littlenvy
March 31st, 2011, 12:21 PM
I hate salons too but its only due to a bad experience. I can't really say I hate all salons in general but id go as far to say I have a bit of a phobia going on!

Mens barbers are really good though, they are way to scared of cutting too much off in my experience. I have even booked myself into a George Michael salon in London, which is expensive but id rather pay and know my expereince will be positive.

But barbers are a good choice and cheap too.

eta- i actually think im a salons worst nightmare as I fanny about asking every second to see how much they are trimming! poor woman was a nervous wreck after me! *bolded by me*

Yes. I agree. If all you need is a trim or a light cut barbers are the best choice. Quick and easy. :)

GlassWidow
March 31st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Yes. I agree. If all you need is a trim or a light cut barbers are the best choice. Quick and easy. :)

I just had a flash of accompanying my male friend to a barber once. He had an asymmetrical hair cut - one side was above his ear and the other was at least shoulder length. Against his wishes, the barber gave him a very short, "corporate" hair cut. While my friend was getting ready to leave, a girl with very long hair came in and asked for a trim. The same barber just dusted her ends!

The point is...be clear about your expectations, whoever you go to.

Hotflashes
March 31st, 2011, 12:45 PM
You seem very very angry about many things, and that's unfortunate. As for this thread, Ericthegreat made a terrific post, so I'll suggest you reread it.

nazzooyzo
March 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM
im not a huge fan of salons but when i do go (which is like three times a year max) i take a photo along with me so the hairdresser knows what i want. I'm not one of those people who expects to come out looking like the exact model on the photo but by giving them one they know what length and style you want. it always amazes me when people get a complete different style than what they wanted (not directed at anybody in particular its just i've read quite a few nightmares stories on this site where people get like 10 inches cut off when they wanted 1)

telegraph64
March 31st, 2011, 01:21 PM
I've always had good salon experiences. The hair dressers have always trimmed what I asked, with no questions, ifs, or buts, which I'm very grateful for. Amidst all of the hair dressers who do not react pleasantly to healthy, long hair, I have met a handful of very friendly and cooperative stylists.

RitaCeleste
March 31st, 2011, 01:58 PM
All the stylists I've been to have been nice. They still always end up taking a lot of length off. I've tried different hairstyles. Its usually the hairstyle I don't end up liking, not that it was done wrong or anything. The last three looks I tried really didn't cut it. Once I had some color too and ended up spending $90 not counting the tips. I decided to do my own color. I decided to cut my hair and wear it plain and simple. I've been hacking on my own hair since I was a teen and I am no stylist! Of course I could get a better cut, I've just learned that doesn't mean I'll end up liking it on me. All in all, I've liked doing my own color and cuts. I'm not perfect but I tend not to stay mad at myself. I also feel like my hair grows so if I take a few inches I'm sad for about a week then I get over it. I think if you are really that upset about salons, you should get simple and just do what you can for yourself. No, you may not be great, and if you demand great then you might have to put up some things.

Alvrodul
March 31st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Stylists aren't automatically the devil incarnate. There are bad ones out there, yes, but I think bad ones are outnumbered by the good ones!
I have had only one epically bad experience at a salon - and that was entirely due to that stylist's incompetence. The other stylists that have cut my hair have been good - perhaps I have been lucky, but it may also have something to do with the fact that I know what I want when I go to have my hair cut, and am clear when communicating it. The stylists have tended to cut slightly more than I have indicated, but not in the "ask for a 2 cm cut, get a 10 cm cut" range. So overall, I am pleased with the stylists that have cut my hair.

prosperina
March 31st, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry, but with words like that I have to say that you yourself have quite a bad attitude. No matter how bad a job stylist did on your hair, the fact remains that they performed a service on you. In any public service kind of job, you will very quickly learn that no matter how skilled and good you are at your job, you will always get some people who will dislike and even utter hate whatever service you do for them. It is very hard to always be happy and cheery and polite to all your customers, especially when some of them shoot daggers at you and some of them even throw a fit and scream and curse at you.

Ask me how I know, well I'm a hairstylist myself. And several other members here on LHC are also stylists. Yes, there are certainly some bad stylists out there, but there are also many good ones. And in my experience, I have never met any fellow hairstylist that deliberately intends to make their client unhappy. Some of them may be pushy with their own ideas about what kind of haircut/color would look best on you, but the truth of the matter is that is in fact part of a hairstylist's training. We are taught color theory and what kind of haircuts/lengths look best on a specific face shape, so when we talk to a client this is how we proceed. For example, if you are tall with an oval shaped face with a long neck, and you walk in with hip length hair. Now you may have very beautiful hip length hair and only intend to trim your ends, but a professional stylist might tell you that you would look great with a bob cut above your shoulders with long side bangs. And the truth is, that kind of cut would look great on you, it would show off your neck and the long bangs would balance out your oval shaped face. That stylist was just giving you a good suggestion, no harm no foul. You always still have the freedom to politely opt out of that kind of haircut, or ask for a different stylist if you still feel uncomfortable going forward.

I agree that maybe the OP has a bit of a bad attitude. I'm personally not overly fond of salons, but I don't hate them or anything. And the times I've been to them I've been happy with the results because I have been specific, but, eric, the second half of your post is probably why some people dislike hairdressers.

I am tall with an oval shaped face and long neck and honestly I would be offended if a hairdresser suggested a short bob. Been there, done that. And honestly, wouldn't a a stylist with an ounce of emotional intelligence realize that it's one, futile to suggest a short bob to someone with really long hair, and two potentially irritating? If you go to the trouble to grow your hair to waist or hip length, then clearly you want it that long, and if you wanted a shorter cut (no matter how flattering,) you'd do it. I guess a suggestion is just a suggestion, no harm done, but If I went in for a trim (which for me is more than just a dusting; it's a real substanial trim) I'd wonder why a hairdresser was suggesting something so radically different. How does he/she know I haven't already thought of that? Plus, the suggestion could come off as "this would look better than what you have," which no one wants to hear.

And yes, hairdressers are trained professionals, but many women have picked up the basics of what looks best with their face shape/body shape. This is not really difficult information, and often a lot of it is subjective and based more upon personal tastes than immutable rules. Plus, there isn't just one cut for everyone. I dunnoh, I know you weren't intending to offend, but if I got the sense my hairdresser thought I was a fashion idiot, I'd be a bit miffed. I guess it's all in the way the stylists makes the suggestion. I've really never been offended by a stylist, but some people are more sensitive than I.

Firefox7275
March 31st, 2011, 02:39 PM

I have worked in customer facing roles for twenty years, so know exactly where you are coming from. I do get that sometimes people have an off day for whatever reason, and that everyone makes mistakes. Whilst I have had some amazing stylists and have trusted them to make changes, there have also been a large number of uneven cuts, simply not listening or can't be bothered.

For example my last cut I said my goal is to grow my hair BUT I know it is really damaged so need a proper cut first. I had deliberately not coloured in two months and it was just in a ponytail. She combed my hair really roughly into an afro-type thing so between the two it looked horrific. :( Then spent AGES telling me that my hairstyle doesn't suit me and I should get more of a fringe. I know my hair looks awful, frankly it wouldn't suit ANYONE! :p Then she cut it the most uneven I have ever had (between one and two inches from left to right!!) and half fixed it - despite that I gave my usual tip. To top it off as I left she was speaking about me to a colleague.

Now when I look in the mirror and worry about frizz or the uneven length back and front I think of her telling me I look sh*t. :( Before that cut I felt pretty optimistic about getting it back into condition etc. That is not a pop at you personally, I can well believe you are awesome at your job as your hair looks amazing, and you always seem friendly on LHC. :o You probably have never worked alongside anyone that awful, as all the decent salons give you a trial first.

elbow chic
March 31st, 2011, 02:42 PM
And yes, hairdressers are trained professionals, but many women have picked up the basics of what looks best with their face shape/body shape.

but on the flip side, there are also a lot of people who have no more idea about that stuff than a man on the moon. Probably most people... I couldn't tell you if my face is oval or round or heart-shaped if my life depended upon it.

And actually, when I used to give my stylist carte blanche, my hair did always look fantastic! Listening to her makes me look great, STYLISH, in a way that I don't now that I'm doing my own thing.

I'm sure stylists get clueless dweebs like myself all the time whose hair growth isn't so much a conscious project as a wild overgrowth. They don't necessarily love the hair itself, but they don't even know how to venture out and ask for something different.

Personally, I'm fine with being told I'd look better with layers or whatever-- I would, for six weeks. :p

I just have to tell the stylist that I'm really, truly okay with my scalp-jungle, even if it is true that I'd look about five years younger with a more sophisticated cut. :cool:

GlassWidow
March 31st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Despite the fact that there has been some disagreement on this thread, it seems like the common idea in everyone's posts is that communication with your stylist is key. The stylist has ideas and the person being styled has ideas. If the two aren't able to effectively communicate those ideas and come to a mutual understanding, the result is likely to be disappointment.

I've always thought a decent hair stylist is also an artist; they see beauty in creative styles, whether or not that's what the client wants; to me it doesn't mean that the stylist doesn't appreciate what the client already has, but it does mean that I have to be sure that my stylist understands what *I* want.

spidermom
March 31st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Everybody who provides a service makes suggestions based on their training and experience. Haven't you ever gone to a clothing store to buy a blouse and have the customer service representative suggest a different color or style? Did you decide she/he was evil and run right out to start a thread about it?

My husband is a plumber, and if a customer orders oil-rubbed bronze for the tub fixtures, he will certainly point out, for example, that the fixtures on the sink plus the towel rack are chrome, so perhaps they should be replaced with oil-rubbed bronze as well, or perhaps the tub fixtures should be chrome to match the fixtures that are already present. It's a matter of aesthetics, not intended to be insulting. And there are absolutely some customers who say "never mind", but far more who will want everything to harmonize.

UltraBella
March 31st, 2011, 05:16 PM
My suggestion would be for the OP to just stay out of salons. If you HATE them, don't go. You are probably not the most pleasant client. It sounds like a stylist will not be able to please you regardless of what they do. Communication is key to any good salon experience. A stylist will not be able to effectively communicate with someone who wants them to just "shut their piehole" as you so elegantly put it.
Save yourself, and the stylist, the unpleasant experience.

honeybunny_1996
March 31st, 2011, 05:40 PM
I self trim because i cannot trust the stylists, they can never ask for what i want. I use an item called the creaclip, if you've heard about it? It makes trimming your hair easier without messing up and taking off too much length. You can check out the item on their website at www.creaclip.com

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think literacy may be a problem for people who believe that I'm unpleasant, I'm pretty sure I stated why I hate going to salons I've gone to and will try others who will give good service.

Hooked on phonics is even sold on ebay ;)

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 07:59 PM
I self trim because i cannot trust the stylists, they can never ask for what i want. I use an item called the creaclip, if you've heard about it? It makes trimming your hair easier without messing up and taking off too much length. You can check out the item on their website at www.creaclip.com

Will search it thank you!

Malibu Barbie
March 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM
My stylist is wonderful, I've had her for years. It took me a long time to find her. They aren't all bad and many do listen the hard part is finding one that suits you.

Nae
March 31st, 2011, 08:21 PM
I want them to shut their pie hole and just do their job

Reading this phonetically or not, this particular quote still may come across as unpleasant.

Of course, inflection is difficult to read on a forum but disparaging the responders literacy skills seems to be a bit.........um, unpleasant.

I do wish you all the success in the world in finding someone to cut your hair. :)

AnqeIicDemise
March 31st, 2011, 08:29 PM
I think literacy may be a problem for people who believe that I'm unpleasant, I'm pretty sure I stated why I hate going to salons I've gone to and will try others who will give good service.

There is no need to be sarcastic when people are simply trying to give advice on how to better handle a situation that obviously causes you discomfort. I can see where this 'helpful advice' can come out as offensive as the 'helpful advice' that a stylist has provided for you that doesn't suit your needs or desires.

I see where you are coming from too. It really is a pain to go to a salon and have a stylist that will simply not listen to you-- or go about their cut as if you're nothing more than an obstacle. That lack of professionalism has made me stand up and leave many a time before the scissors are not even picked up and a comb brought to my head. You *definitely* do not need to put up with that.

As with all customer service related jobs, you will run across three different folk: Those who love their jobs. Those who are in it for the money but don't care either way... and those who HATE every second of their job and make everything unpleasant for everyone.

You don't have to deal with any of them if you don't want to.

I do hope you find a stylist that jibes with your vibe, though. As someone said: finding the right stylist for you is like trying to find a doctor sometimes.

PS: also remember some of of us HAVE to say crap that may be off putting to you. It is a required part of the job and some companies make it so that if we don't ask X, Y, Z it is a fireable offense after a while. It is so obnoxious. Ugh. -.- Why can't the client just be left alone sometimes?!

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM
Reading this phonetically or not, this particular quote still may come across as unpleasant.

Of course, inflection is difficult to read on a forum but disparaging the responders literacy skills seems to be a bit.........um, unpleasant.

I do wish you all the success in the world in finding someone to cut your hair. :)

lol thank you, I think they only read the "just shut your pie hole" and skip why I said it in the first place or act like I insulted their stylist. If they love their stylist or are one good for them, but whoever I've had the displeasure to give business to always manages to scoff after grabbing my hair. Nonetheless I still am polite after their attitude and give them a tip.

I've had a woman simply cut my hair in shape of a triangle and call it layers rofl, but it wasn't too funny then.

My stylist is wonderful, I've had her for years. It took me a long time to find her. They aren't all bad and many do listen the hard part is finding one that suits you.

I'm glad you found your perfect stylist and lucky you!
Trust me I know that they're not all bad and am counting the days till I visit the one I will be going to. He has lovely reviews because he listens and will treat his customers like customers.

AnqeIicDemise
March 31st, 2011, 08:33 PM
I've had a woman simply cut my hair in shape of a triangle and call it layers rofl, but it wasn't too funny then.

Eww, really, a triangle? O.o; Wow.. and she somehow managed to get a job as a hair stylist?

Why am I not surprised though? There are people in the wrong profession too often.

Nae
March 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM
lol thank you, I think they only read the "just shut your pie hole" and skip why I said it in the first place or act like I insulted their stylist. If they love their stylist or are one good for them, but whoever I've had the displeasure to give business to always manages to scoff after grabbing my hair. Nonetheless I still am polite after their attitude and give them a tip.

Oh my, that sounds like a horrible haircut. :rolleyes: I have total faith that you will find someone good though. I am going to also suggest a barber, you may have better luck with them. (Plus, they are generally less expensive overall. It is a win-win!):D

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 08:42 PM
Eww, really, a triangle? O.o; Wow.. and she somehow managed to get a job as a hair stylist?

Why am I not surprised though? There are people in the wrong profession too often.

A perfect triangle >.< she was a sweet old lady and she has plenty or regulars but she maybe didn't know how to cut wavy hair. She wasn't as bad a the jersey shore type of girls, they will grab your hair and hold it like an old mop :headache: will stomp and and gossip to the coworker next to them if they are a bit annoyed with their job.

This is like the 4th one in my area that's been like this. So I'm gonna just do more traveling instead and search online

UltraBella
March 31st, 2011, 08:43 PM

Are you suggesting I personally have an issue with literacy ? Really ???

My opinion is just that, an opinion, but I think you proved my point about possibly being unpleasant. Thanks :)

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 08:51 PM
Are you suggesting I personally have an issue with literacy ? Really ???

My opinion is just that, an opinion, but I think you proved my point about possibly being unpleasant. Thanks :)
:graduate::thumbsup:

MeganE
March 31st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Um..... CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!

http://nikkyhall.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/funny-pictures-cat-asks-who-throws-cheese1.jpg

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

UltraBella
March 31st, 2011, 09:10 PM
Yes, cheese fixes almost everything :)

RecklessCharlie
March 31st, 2011, 09:30 PM
I greatly dislike the salon as well, so I never go! Its not that I think people in salons aren't good at what they do. They worked hard to learn those skills and most of them (sure there are some exceptions) are very professional. Its just that I have very specific ideas about how I want my hair to look and its hard for a beautician to read my mind :)
When I was a preteen I learned to cut my own hair specifically for this reason. OP perhaps you could learn as well? It isn't too difficult once you know what you're doing.

x0h_bother
March 31st, 2011, 09:38 PM
I like my stylist, she is a longhair (amazingly since I got there...hmm...LHC rubbing off?) and she is good to my length goals. I could see others having disasters but I lucked out. Now if only the price could drop...then I would be on :cloud9:

frost pattern
March 31st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Communication is key to any good salon experience.
Many members mentioned this in this thread, and it's pretty true. Mentioning what was already said in this thread, I noticed it's the bottom line of my hair history:

When I was 13, I was taken to a hairdresser who cut my shoulder length braids I was so proud of, and gave me a fashion cut that needed a lot of styling. There was no communication at all, and the cut never ever worked for me. Form that moment on I went to the salon to change the awful stuff on my head to something less awful. I wasn't very much interested on how they did it, so no communication either. One day I realised that all the dying, bleaching and styling doesn't make my hair look better, and the only thing I didn't try so far was just growing it. That was the moment when I started to ask. It takes some time to find out what I want and how to talk to the people at the salon. I'm still not at the point to fully relax there, but we are talking a lot and I'm confident I can do very soon.

Slinks
April 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
I self trim because i cannot trust the stylists, they can never ask for what i want. I use an item called the creaclip, if you've heard about it? It makes trimming your hair easier without messing up and taking off too much length. You can check out the item on their website at www.creaclip.com (http://www.creaclip.com)

I ran across a youtube with this some weeks ago and I think it's AWESOME :-) oneday I might order one .. I'm not game enough to cut my hair yet, I'd hate to cut it crooked or something, that said this item would really help ..

Anyway I don't have to worry too much about my local stylist all but 3 of the girls have long waist length hair including the owner .. they have a hard time with me telling them to cut more off !! I'm new to growing my hair and have always had my hair cut to asl .. the result of my length now is due to laziness on my part and not going in for my usual cut .. the last time I went in was when I made a decission to grow my hair and thought I'd just get the splits cut with say 2" taken off I hardly even got 1" off .. lol :-)

Slinks
April 1st, 2011, 12:36 AM
lol .. I got the same thing when I was about 13, it really was a lovely style but hey, gel mousse, blowdry "hello" I'm 13 .. a teen wears it as a cut, wash and go :-)

Signe
April 1st, 2011, 12:45 AM
Whoa there! What is with all these people calling the OP unpleasant and insinuating that she is an bad customer or somehow deserved bad treatment from the stylists she went to?
If you actually took the time to READ what the OP said, and imagine what she was experiencing, how can you not sympathise with her frustration?

First of all, she said she hates salons, she never said she hated stylists, so all you hairdressers out there don't get your undies in a bunch. Obviously any person who would take the time to join a hair-care forum is aware that not all stylists are evil and that many of you, in fact, are stylists (and great ones, judging by your siggy pics etc).
But this is not her point, she was talking about HER experiences of specific people and places, and expressing how those experiences made her hate GOING to the salon.

Also, she said "I want them to shut their piehole and just do their job", implying that she did not actually say that to the woman in question, but desired not to be complained at and treated in an unprofessional manner.
To be honest, I would think the same thing if I was paying someone to blowdry my hair and they complained because it was "too long". There is no such thing as "too long", and they of all people should know that!
To me, the OP sounds like a perfectly normal customer who was treated badly multiple times at the salon and is having a little rant. Hair is an emotional thing, and I think most of you can definitely sympathise with that.
So the OP got a bit het-up about a hair snafu...big deal...Can you all honestly say you haven't gotten a bit hyperbolic over your hair when it goes wrong? Who here has not seen a salon rant on the LHC threads before? Who here has not had a friend, acquaintance, or family member get their hair butchered?
I know I have, multiple times, and it is always the same story...go in, explain what I want patiently and thoroughly, and then have it thrown back in my face, the stylist telling me that I would look better with something else, that I am not trimming enough off, and that my natural colour doesn't suit me.
I have even had people dye my hair a completely different colour than what I wanted (I wanted to bleach it, they dyed it dark brown, etc) because they thought it would "suit me" better. This has happened more than once at different salons. That is not professional. It makes me feel ignored and insulted.

There are better ways to express aesthetic opinions, and quite frankly sometimes an opinion should be kept to oneself...we all have drastically different tastes and if someone comes in with a clear idea of what they personally want then it would be a disservice to them to tell them they are somehow wrong, or even to suggest it, unless they explicitly ask for advice. It is a beauty industry...the point is to make the customer FEEL beautiful, and negating the validity of their style choices is not the way to do that!

So leave the poor OP alone! She came here for support when she was clearly upset about her haircare experiences.
Rant over.

Toadstool
April 1st, 2011, 01:17 AM

I wouldn't normally be so rude as to point this out, but in some of your posts your spelling and punctuation aren't perfect either.

I'm sorry you have had such bad experiences. I can totally understand why it makes you so angry. I used to have a hairdresser who was incredibly rude about my hair. I didn't like the way he cut it either. Eventually I worked out I didn't have to put up with his attitude, and moved on. I have never had a stylist like that again.:)

I was surprised to read here about stylists' recommendations for different styles. All those that I have been to have asked "So what are we going to do today?" None of them suggests different cuts or styles. Maybe it's very different here in the U.K.?

frost pattern
April 1st, 2011, 01:29 AM
lol .. I got the same thing when I was about 13, it really was a lovely style but hey, gel mousse, blowdry "hello" I'm 13 .. a teen wears it as a cut, wash and go :-)
After reading my previous post again I mentioned there was a spelling mistake that changes everything: "the cut ever ever worked for me" instead of "the cut never ever worked for me". I didn't want it at all. Now knowing more about my hair I can say the hairdresser did a very bad job. Not even the hottest blow dryer and the strongest styling stuff made it stay for more than 2 or three hours.

Mesmerise
April 1st, 2011, 03:26 AM
Well, I didn't think the OP was that rude in her initial post either. She never said she was RUDE to the stylists, all she basically said was she wishes they'd keep their mouths shut and just cut her hair the way she wants it! And to me, that's fair enough.

I get annoyed when I go for a trim and the stylist doesn't LISTEN to me too! Last time I went in, I said, "I want a trim, about an inch off" and demonstrated with my fingers exactly HOW much I wanted trimmed. Well, about three times (AT LEAST) she asked if I wanted layers. I said, "no thanks". How many times should I have to say that?? It's fair enough, I guess, to ask ONCE, but to keep on asking when I've very specifically said what I want is annoying!

My hair is currently very thin at the ends due to massive shedding, and I can only imagine how much thinner they'd be with layers. I'd end up having to get several inches off, which I am loath to do.

So yeah, for the meanwhile, I'll be trimming my own hair. This isn't to say I'll NEVER go to a stylist again, because, to be fair, MOST of the time they don't completely mess it up and they DO listen and do what I ask. However, I'm also sick of paying the same amount for a small trim off my thin ends (that literally takes the stylist 5 minutes) as someone would for a much more complex style cut!

blackcatw81
April 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Am I really the only one who get what I want?

Maybe because of my threathening air? ^^;;; Or because many times I sat there and said "Cut!" :eyebrows:

I hope you'll find some nice hairstylist who will listen to you :)

Ps: sorry for my bad english!

TheLionKing
April 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Communication is key about working with hairstylists. I always try and say fewest words to describe my wanted haircut.

I don't hate salons or stylists since people will add their opinions on profession. I have a great hairdresser who knows what I want.

MoonlightShadow
April 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM
i'm sorry about ur bad experience with a hair stylist :( i guess it happens to everyone once in their life. i guess its really hard to find a good hairstylist. i wish you luck :D

lauravmarcela
April 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM
Am I really the only one who get what I want?

Maybe because of my threathening air? ^^;;; Or because many times I sat there and said "Cut!" :eyebrows:

I hope you'll find some nice hairstylist who will listen to you :)

Ps: sorry for my bad english!

Silly lady thank you, your english is fine <3

i'm sorry about ur bad experience with a hair stylist :( i guess it happens to everyone once in their life. i guess its really hard to find a good hairstylist. i wish you luck :D

Thank you :)

MonaLisa
April 1st, 2011, 08:14 PM
I completely understand why you'd make such a topic :) id think of salons as risky! For me it's been 80-20 bad-good experience in the salons. It may be because Im more of a quiet person and dont appear strict, but i promise you each time i wasn't satisfied with the service i DID state clearly what i wanted.

Some of the events:
- I wanted a trim, an inch off, and that turned my hair from hip length to BSL, and the lady saying 'I cut off a bit more'.....
- I went to a really expensive salon, where it's hard to even make appointment, u get massages and feel like a superstar....except that first thing i got was ' i hate long hair, i hope u're taking at least half of this off'! It wasn't from a stylist who would be working on my hair, else I'd get up and leave instantly. My stylist brushed my hair like no one ever did before....with rage...i could hear it breaking...cut was great, but i felt awful there.
- I wanted a bit shorter top layer so id get more volume...and ended up with 2/3 of my hair cut into a rly short bob, not even blended in nicely. I was shocked! Tho i must admit it was fun style to have for a while, and it didn't look that bad, but wasn't nearly what i wanted, and it was a pain to grow out.
- A regular trim....and the girl starts using thinning scissors on my ends! i told her to please not do that and she replied ' but i must'.

These are jsut some...I could go on and on, and I always had to change salons...after such events...

I had 2 great stylists...1 of them joined the army...the other one got pregnant and quitted....so yeah, i don't feel safe and i feel its risky to go to a new salon again :(

GALISH
April 1st, 2011, 08:21 PM
Luckily I didn't gave the salon a chance to hate it

lauravmarcela
April 1st, 2011, 08:25 PM
I completely understand why you'd make such a topic :) id think of salons as risky! For me it's been 80-20 bad-good experience in the salons. It may be because Im more of a quiet person and dont appear strict, but i promise you each time i wasn't satisfied with the service i DID state clearly what i wanted.

Some of the events:
- I wanted a trim, an inch off, and that turned my hair from hip length to BSL, and the lady saying 'I cut off a bit more'.....
- I went to a really expensive salon, where it's hard to even make appointment, u get massages and feel like a superstar....except that first thing i got was ' i hate long hair, i hope u're taking at least half of this off'! It wasn't from a stylist who would be working on my hair, else I'd get up and leave instantly. My stylist brushed my hair like no one ever did before....with rage...i could hear it breaking...cut was great, but i felt awful there.
- I wanted a bit shorter top layer so id get more volume...and ended up with 2/3 of my hair cut into a rly short bob, not even blended in nicely. I was shocked! Tho i must admit it was fun style to have for a while, and it didn't look that bad, but wasn't nearly what i wanted, and it was a pain to grow out.
- A regular trim....and the girl starts using thinning scissors on my ends! i told her to please not do that and she replied ' but i must'.

These are jsut some...I could go on and on, and I always had to change salons...after such events...

I had 2 great stylists...1 of them joined the army...the other one got pregnant and quitted....so yeah, i don't feel safe and i feel its risky to go to a new salon again :(

Thats terrible :(
I hope I dont run into those kinds of stylists again

ooo
April 1st, 2011, 08:51 PM
I happen to love the salon, but cutting your hair yourself might be a good solution.

missoj
April 2nd, 2011, 05:34 AM
I don't normally go to salons I prefer doing my own hair (I don't like other people touching my hair & they're expensive) so I only go if I am going to an important event or function. Remember the more treatments a hairdresser can get you to have the more money they make, so most of them are first thinking about their pockets so when you do go only insist on what you want.

Rafusen
April 4th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I don't hate my stylist. I hate going to her, though. I only go twice a year. As much as I hate having to make the trip (simple inconvenience), I'm sure she hates cutting my hair as well. (She's tall, I'm short, my hair is tailbone length.) But after it all, I feel great about tending to my hemline and the leave in she uses on my hair leaves it feeling luxurious for the next few days. I did have a chat with her about my hair goals, and I think that helped her realize what she could do for me.

ashke50
April 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I have never been to a salon! I don't hate them, they just intimidate me.
I have always had my hair trimmed by my godmother, or (recently) my fiance. I was going to go to a salon recently, but I found LHC instead, and decided to trim my own hair, then do S&Ds to keep it healthy.
This thread has kinda confirmed my decision not to go to a salon, at least not until I am more comfortable explaining what I want clearly.

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I don't normally go to salons I prefer doing my own hair (I don't like other people touching my hair & they're expensive) so I only go if I am going to an important event or function. Remember the more treatments a hairdresser can get you to have the more money they make, so most of them are first thinking about their pockets so when you do go only insist on what you want.

That is a rather sweeping statement! Do you also think 'most' doctors diagnose you with conditions you don't have because they want to profit from it? I don't think I have ever been pushed to have a treatment I didn't want/ need by a hairdresser (just shocking cuts :rolleyes: ).

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 04:39 AM

"Dramatic Irony: Dramatic irony is the result of the contrast between the understanding of a situation by the dramatic character and the audience. Basically, the audience understands the situation as it really is, where the character in the story is oblivious to the reality of things.

Per usual, it is not a bad idea to review the dictionary definition of a word. With that in mind, please study the definition of the word 'irony' as provided in the Webster dictionary, before moving on to the main portion of the tutorial. Just using the dictionary definition is probably not the best way to understand a word, but since we are only covering the basics, this definition of irony should do just fine."
http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/irony/howtorecognizeirony

HTH. :)

lauravmarcela
April 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM
"Dramatic Irony: Dramatic irony is the result of the contrast between the understanding of a situation by the dramatic character and the audience. Basically, the audience understands the situation as it really is, where the character in the story is oblivious to the reality of things.

Per usual, it is not a bad idea to review the dictionary definition of a word. With that in mind, please study the definition of the word 'irony' as provided in the Webster dictionary, before moving on to the main portion of the tutorial. Just using the dictionary definition is probably not the best way to understand a word, but since we are only covering the basics, this definition of irony should do just fine."
http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/irony/howtorecognizeirony

HTH. :)

One more going waah waah cause I hate the salon? :rolling:

kwaniesiam
April 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I do have to wonder though, how many of these so called victims of horror stories actually really talk to the stylist and explain things thoroughly before sitting in their chair and letting them have at it? At any point during the haircut, you have the power to tell them to stop and to find a different stylist. I know I'm not like most stylists out there, given my prior LHC knowledge before entering beauty school, but when someone is paying you to perform a service for them you listen to what they want. We're taught that the client consultation is one of the most important parts of the service. If your client isn't happy with what you're doing, they aren't going to leave you a tip and are definitely not going to come back to see you.

So if you find yourself facing the dread of the salon chair, here are a few tips to make the experience as LHC friendly as possible.

Try not to go in dreading the experience and expecting to walk out with several unwanted inches lopped off your length. We can tell if you aren't comfortable being there and we can tell if you don't trust us. Chances are, if we know you don't trust us, we're not going to trust you either. Speak up. Am I brushing or combing too hard, scrubbing at your scalp too hard, not using enough conditioner? Let me know, and demonstrate how you prefer to comb out your hair. Better yet, bring your own comb or brush that you prefer to have used. Most stylists have an arsenal of ball-tipped paddle brushes and fine toothed plastic combs because they are cheap and durable. We see lots of heads of hair every day and go through detangling tools like crazy. I've broken 3 brushes and 5 combs in the months I've been in school, not necessarily from rough handling of hair either.

Ask us what we're doing, and show us what you consider "just a trim". We're taught to identify dry, split ends. We might see more ends that could use trimming than you think you even have. It's our job to make your hair look good, the salon manager takes notice of every finished style leaving the salon. So do our fellow stylists and other customers. Letting a customer leave the salon with barley an inch taken off and damp hair does not make us look good, regardless of whether its what you wanted or not so make it clear if you do not want your hair product laden and blowdried, then explain why in a polite way. Please do not bark at us or spew the dangers of heat styling. Chances are, you're the only person we've ever encountered who either knew or particularly cared, especially in the case of one measly session.

In short, be polite and thorough. If you are, we'll be happy to do the same for you. Some of the pushier ones may not, and if that is the case simply request a different stylist until you find one you're more comfortable with. There are thousands of capable stylists out there. If you sit in the chair of one you have a bad feeling about and are not happy with the results, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Quoted from my blog a while back.

GlassWidow
April 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Nicely written!

squee
April 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
They arn't all bad, some are scissor happy (even with communication I got a huge chop (3in vs 6in))...one of them gave me a head massage. :)
that, that was quite nice.

Alvrodul
April 4th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Very well written indeed! I have usually just told the stylist something like, "Cut 2 cms", and said, No thanks when they suggested layers.
I got the cut I wanted, the stylist got a straightforward job, and everybody was pleased.

MonaLisa
April 4th, 2011, 09:01 AM
At any point during the haircut, you have the power to tell them to stop and to find a different stylist.My hair is usually being cut at my back and I really dont get to see it until it's over, and what use would it be stopping half way?

In short, be polite and thorough. If you are, we'll be happy to do the same for you. Some of the pushier ones may not, and if that is the case simply request a different stylist until you find one you're more comfortable with. There are thousands of capable stylists out there. If you sit in the chair of one you have a bad feeling about and are not happy with the results, you have no one to blame but yourself. I dont think anyone here is being not polite?
And not all stylists are like you, trying to understand clients, long hair and what it means to some people.
It's bad to generalize. Of course, not all are bad either.
I think it's more about luck and willingness to try again and again after bad experiences.
People have right to hate the salon, and to discuss it here, and come for support, that's what the forum is for.
And you can love the salon.
Peace :knit:

blackcatw81
April 4th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Can't you ask that lady to come to your house (or you to hers) to simply cut it? I don't think she will renounce the profit :rolleyes:

@kwaniesiam: I agree, but.. Why does an assistant keep putting the hairdryer at very hot temperature so close to my scalp even if I tell her I felt it burns?

ETA: I prefer no to cut my hair on my own because I have and love layers to my waves ;)

Ps: please excuse-me for my bad english ;)

MonaLisa
April 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
blackcat, I didnt have her personal phone number, and only went to her twice before she quitted in quite long time range, i guess i could ask in the salon...although it's been a while.
Maybe I'm just shy and don't want to appear as a stalker :confused:
If she was willing, she probably would have left a number to her clients...but maybe thats against salon rules, as that way they lose profit, sigh I'm guessing too much. And I said im not to talkative :eek:

blackcatw81
April 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Well, then I wish you good luck honey! (You have to find your *bastard* inside :D

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
One more going waah waah cause I hate the salon? :rolling:

Or you could read the thread before posting. ;)

selderon
April 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I just have to tell the stylist that I'm really, truly okay with my scalp-jungle, even if it is true that I'd look about five years younger with a more sophisticated cut.
I've found this to be a much less stressful approach than taking offense or getting panicked when a stylist suggested something I wasn't interested in doing. (I've seen women on the edge of a panic attack because they're deathly afraid the stylist might cut a foot off instead of the 1/4" they agreed upon. Usually the stylist hadn't even begun.)

I think one of the reasons I've had such good experiences at salons is that when I sit down in the chair, I clearly state my goals. "I want something that's not going to flip funny where my motorcycle helmet hits me here *point*. It needs to be something I can style in ten minutes or less, and I'm not really very good at styling. I don't want to have to use a flat iron or curling iron. I just don't have the patience. Can you recommend something?"

Then we have an informative discussion about what might work well. If I have asked for something that doesn't exist, I generally find out at this point. If the stylist suggests something that seems contrary to my goals, I ask what the benefits would be and decide whether I want to go that route. I have more than once decided I wasn't willing to go down that road and simply told the stylist, "I hear what you're saying, but I'm not comfortable with X." No stylist I have gone to has disregarded my choices.

Several stylists have made persistent suggestions and after working in the salon world, I understand why. It's their job to make sure the client is happy with her look when she leaves and that she can get good results at home. The stylist needs to make sure that the client has heard the suggestions and understands the reasons for them.

selderon
April 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Hooked on phonics is even sold on ebay

One more going waah waah cause I hate the salon?

You don't see what is unpleasant about the quoted posts? It's difficult for me to believe that this much anger is really about unsatisfactory salon experiences. There's got to be something else going on.

PolythenePam
April 4th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I also use the Creaclip to cut my own hair. You can take off the tiniest amount of hair until you get it exactly the way you want it. One of the best purchases ever.

katiezomg
April 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Just thought I'd add to the 'salon stories'..
A few weeks ago, I went for a trim as my splits were getting crazy, and I wanted to change my fringe (bangs).
Long story short.. I ended up with my hair very short at the right side of my head, that I didn't want :( Trying to grow it out but it just looks horrible now.

RitaPG
April 4th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry you are having bad experiences with salons :(
I have never been to one in my life, ever. My mom used to cut my hair when I was too young to even be allowed near scissors :D These days, not only I cut my hair, but also cut my sister's hair, my dad's and recently my brother's.

Can I recommend you to this site? http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/
If you just want a small cut to maintain a healthy hemline, nothing beats the straight-across trim. I've been doing this since I was 14, way before I knew about LHC. Oldest trick ever :o

And if you're not one to self-trim, I can only hope you find a good hair stylist someday :flower:

Aleria
April 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I think the key is shopping around until you find one you like. My favourite is a cheap, mostly asian salon just up from my house (cuts range from $9-15). My hair dresser is quick, efficient, and eerily good at reproducing hairstyles from picture only, if a little rough with head massaging dye into my scalp. She'll do exactly what I ask her, whether it's "trim the bangs, but leave the length alone" or "chop it and bleach the heck out of it". My only pet peeve is that I can never get anywhere to do the bang style I want, even this place, with a picture. So, I just trim them myself.

ETA: I will add that she looked rather shocked and did question me on the chopping+bleach since the last time I was in I told her I was growing it out.

Beesweet
April 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I have had my fair share of bad (and good) experiences with stylists.

Once, in 1993, I went in for a "trim" of my curly hair and came out with "The Janet Reno," No joke. Not a good look for a six foot, eight-months' pregnant gal!

Mainly now, I just have a problem getting someone to take off the bare minimum of length. Usually a "small trim" amounts to three or four months of growing, and I end up staying just above shoulder length forever.

I have had a lot of them tell me that I wouldn't look good with long hair, or that I am too old for long hair, or that the henna I use is "bad," or that I have such thick hair that I need to have it thinned.

I finally gave up caring what people think about me. I found a stylist who does five dollar bang trims, understands my very thick wavy hair, and doesn't mind that I show up with my hair freshly washed and wet and combed out, so the shampoo girl doesn't rip my hair out. I politely decline their products, and she is okay with it. She also doesn't mind that I don't do a blow-dry and walk out with wet hair. Every once in a while I show up with my hair dry and done so she can see that she did a nice job.

It is possible, if not probable that she thinks I am a nut, but I am a great tipper.

There are great stylists out there, but I guess some stylists get bored with the traditionalist/naturalists hair clients. A nice long head of healthy hair is probably like a blank canvas to them.

lauravmarcela
April 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
@Beesweet

Funny stuff. I had one stylist that wanted to dye my hair blond, lol my skin is a yellowish tan and very few people I've seen can pull that off. Very few, not me

NorCal
April 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I gave up on the salon. I needed a pretty serious trim and my layers were nowhere near being ready to just leave to catch up. I did the bottom layer, held the hair up straight to cut my layers, and cut my bangs in a straight line too. If you do the bangs holding them all close together, you get a nice curve that's longer at the sides of your face. I had to cut as much as an inch in some places, but now I have nice straight lines to do micro trims in the future. :cool: The cut's not too bad either, I think.

lauravmarcela
April 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I gave up on the salon. I needed a pretty serious trim and my layers were nowhere near being ready to just leave to catch up. I did the bottom layer, held the hair up straight to cut my layers, and cut my bangs in a straight line too. If you do the bangs holding them all close together, you get a nice curve that's longer at the sides of your face. I had to cut as much as an inch in some places, but now I have nice straight lines to do micro trims in the future. :cool: The cut's not too bad either, I think.

I'm in need of a serious trim now O_O I will either wait it out or use the how to one of the lovely ladies here showed me

NorCal
April 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm in need of a serious trim now O_O I will either wait it out or use the how to one of the lovely ladies here showed me

I'm a fan of trimming to avoid further damage. But I've got pretty damaged hair so I'm trying my best to baby it. I like the self trim method. If you're just doing a one length cut, it's pretty easy. Just don't get carried away trying to make it perfectly straight, and only cut off tiny bits. If you're not sure, wait a week and see if you need to do more.

lauravmarcela
April 4th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'm a fan of trimming to avoid further damage. But I've got pretty damaged hair so I'm trying my best to baby it. I like the self trim method. If you're just doing a one length cut, it's pretty easy. Just don't get carried away trying to make it perfectly straight, and only cut off tiny bits. If you're not sure, wait a week and see if you need to do more.

You've warned me of exactly what I would do

salls
April 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I hate salons, not because of the hair dressers but because of the lighting. Oh the lighting, the bright unflattering lighting.

Carolyn
April 6th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I dislike (hate might be too strong a word) salons because most of what I get done is a royal pain in the ass. I've had my share of dreadful stylists but after being at LHC for ages I have realized that perhaps I have not communicated my wants well enough or been firm enough in saying no to things I don't want done. For the most part I've had good stylists who have done their best to do what I asked. So this isn't about that. What I dislike so much is sitting in those damned uncomfortable chairs. My butt is numb when I'm done. I have a horrible low back ache. If I have to sit under one of those awful salon dryers, I'm in even worse pain. They dry my eyes out horribly. My neck hurts so bad from my head being jammed under that thing. I always get a splitting, sick to my stomach head ache. The whole thing is a miserable experience. I've never seen it as pampering. It's as bad or even worse than going to the dentist. I do it for maintenance I can't do myself at home. I do enjoy getting a facial or a pedicure. Those are pleasant experiences. I've never understood it when other women have said that going to the salon is a fun pampering thing. I find the whole thing hellish and I can't wait to be out of there. I go for the end result, not to enjoy the process.

lauravmarcela
April 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I hate salons, not because of the hair dressers but because of the lighting. Oh the lighting, the bright unflattering lighting.

:laugh:

I dislike (hate might be too strong a word) salons because most of what I get done is a royal pain in the ass. I've had my share of dreadful stylists but after being at LHC for ages I have realized that perhaps I have not communicated my wants well enough or been firm enough in saying no to things I don't want done. For the most part I've had good stylists who have done their best to do what I asked. So this isn't about that. What I dislike so much is sitting in those damned uncomfortable chairs. My butt is numb when I'm done. I have a horrible low back ache. If I have to sit under one of those awful salon dryers, I'm in even worse pain. They dry my eyes out horribly. My neck hurts so bad from my head being jammed under that thing. I always get a splitting, sick to my stomach head ache. The whole thing is a miserable experience. I've never seen it as pampering. It's as bad or even worse than going to the dentist. I do it for maintenance I can't do myself at home. I do enjoy getting a facial or a pedicure. Those are pleasant experiences. I've never understood it when other women have said that going to the salon is a fun pampering thing. I find the whole thing hellish and I can't wait to be out of there. I go for the end result, not to enjoy the process.

The ones by me are usually extremely crowded even on weekdays, me + too many people = big nono

I'm assuming you barely ever need a stylist. Your hair is lovely

jeanniet
April 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM
A pleasant attitude goes a long ways toward making a pleasant experience. All it takes is a smile and "I like my hair color now, thank you" or "I'd prefer not to have layers, thank you" or even just a "thank you for the suggestions, I'll certainly think about them." It doesn't have to be a control issue or a power struggle. If you don't like the salons you've been to, ask for referrals or self-trim at home.

I personally find "shut your piehole" to be an offensive expression, and would have preferred that it be couched in different terms. YMMV :shrug:

lauravmarcela
April 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM
A pleasant attitude goes a long ways toward making a pleasant experience. All it takes is a smile and "I like my hair color now, thank you" or "I'd prefer not to have layers, thank you" or even just a "thank you for the suggestions, I'll certainly think about them." It doesn't have to be a control issue or a power struggle. If you don't like the salons you've been to, ask for referrals or self-trim at home.

I personally find "shut your piehole" to be an offensive expression, and would have preferred that it be couched in different terms. YMMV :shrug:

Fair enough, I didnt actually say that to the stylist

Mesmerise
April 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I remember when I was in my teens I ALWAYS used to cut my own bangs (fringe where I come from :p). I think for the most part, I used to make my own fringe when I didn't have one too! I didn't trust stylists because I liked to have it on the long side, and they'd invariably cut it too short and I'd feel self conscious wearing it! Mind you, a friend once trimmed it in textiles class and cut it waaaaay too short and I felt stupid for weeks until it became a better length!

But yeah, even then I found it easy to get a nice straight fringe. I can't wear one now though, because I'm so used to raking my hair back with my fingers that even when I last had one, you could never see it as it would just go back because I'd push it back! I guess it felt weird on my forehead after years without one.

My plan now is self trims for quite awhile just so I have complete control over the length I take off, as a few people have said, many stylists do take too much off the length when you trim and you feel like you're taking two steps back for every two steps forward you take in the hair growth journey! My problem is that the taper I have is so bad, that when I put a band around my ponytail and slide it down, it pretty much slips straight off the end because the hair at the end is just too thin. Anyone else have that problem??

lw8666
April 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I used to be afraid of salons because one time I had way too much cut off and I cryed. But after that, I did my research, found someone with amazing reviews and I booked an appointment. She listened well and showed compassion. Since then, I realised not All salons are bad. Just have to find a good stylist that suits you.

Fufu
April 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I adore the salon and my hairstylist I frequent :) I did hair colouring and hair treatment yesterday and she asked if I will like a trim and I told her no as I wanna keep my hair long and she smiled and say okay :) No forcing and pressuring me to do anything I don't want too and the colour turns out awesome and adore my new fringe.

I did come across in the past some unpleasantness in a few salons and good reason for me to stop visiting them.

AnqeIicDemise
April 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM

And.. I totally agree with this.

SURE, stopping the stylist in the middle of the cut make mean a half-completed job, but if you explain the reason as to why you have the need to stop in a calm, rational manner, another stylist or even the owner will take over to complete the job.

If you're completely uncomfortable and hate what the original stylist is doing and want *nothing* to do with the establishment anymore, simply ask the person cutting your hair to stop, explain to the manager your dissatisfaction and leave. Often most, you won't be charged for the job.

I have to done both these things myself. I rather walk out with a botched up style that has yet to completely destroy my length, then walk away with a terrible feeling in my tummy and then cry.

In the case where I got up and left, the woman started by cutting too much, then proceed to give me layers with a razor -- after I told her in no uncertain terms I *loathe* razors. I get too many split ends too quickly. She got one good slice in before I got up and walked out.

Sure, I had to go look around for another salon and another stylist, but I had a woman who *listened* to me fix the first woman's butchery and not take off more length than I had already lost.

So. Guess who got to be my permanent stylist until I left the area?

Noula
April 7th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I don't go to salons very often, on average I've been maybe once every two years since I tend to get my mother or one of my siblings to do it (and even then, not more than once or twice a year). Never had one do something I specifically asked them not to and last time I went to get a cut the guy who did it kept asking if I was *suuuuuure* I wanted that much cut off.

What I do find invasive, rude and presumptuous is people trying to sell you things you didn't ask for. If it's in your contract that you're required to try to sell more things just ask once and then leave it. And don't ask or "inform" me about more than one thing, if I want something I'll look for it or ask about it myself. Whenever I get a telemarketer who just won't leave it alone after I say no I feel like asking them to morally justify their trying to convince me to buy something I don't need but I know most of them are just trying to eat and the real evil in it is the owners making big money so I haven't yet, but it bothers me tremendously that people do this.

lauravmarcela
April 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I don't go to salons very often, on average I've been maybe once every two years since I tend to get my mother or one of my siblings to do it (and even then, not more than once or twice a year). Never had one do something I specifically asked them not to and last time I went to get a cut the guy who did it kept asking if I was *suuuuuure* I wanted that much cut off.

What I do find invasive, rude and presumptuous is people trying to sell you things you didn't ask for. If it's in your contract that you're required to try to sell more things just ask once and then leave it. And don't ask or "inform" me about more than one thing, if I want something I'll look for it or ask about it myself. Whenever I get a telemarketer who just won't leave it alone after I say no I feel like asking them to morally justify their trying to convince me to buy something I don't need but I know most of them are just trying to eat and the real evil in it is the owners making big money so I haven't yet, but it bothers me tremendously that people do this.

I feel bad when I say no,but usually the pushier people get commended by their other coworkers for their pushy behavior because they slightly intimidate people to saying yes, this is my mom, she'll say yes to anything with a little persuasion.

Theobroma
April 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
My problem is that the taper I have is so bad, that when I put a band around my ponytail and slide it down, it pretty much slips straight off the end because the hair at the end is just too thin. Anyone else have that problem??

That would be me! The last time I did a straight-across trim (only took about a centimetre off) I used a velvet scrunchie and only slid it down about two-thirds of the way down the length, stopping at the point where it still had just about enough grip not to go into an uncontrolled slide. The ponytail that was left over was longer than it ideally should have been, but I still managed to get the scrunchie over my shoulder without pulling unevenly on the ends. I got a firm grip on the hair below the scrunchie and then combed the ends out a bit prior to cutting. It worked perfectly well!

lapushka
April 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM
My problem is that the taper I have is so bad, that when I put a band around my ponytail and slide it down, it pretty much slips straight off the end because the hair at the end is just too thin. Anyone else have that problem??

That would be me! The last time I did a straight-across trim (only took about a centimetre off) I used a velvet scrunchie and only slid it down about two-thirds of the way down the length, stopping at the point where it still had just about enough grip not to go into an uncontrolled slide. The ponytail that was left over was longer than it ideally should have been, but I still managed to get the scrunchie over my shoulder without pulling unevenly on the ends. I got a firm grip on the hair below the scrunchie and then combed the ends out a bit prior to cutting. It worked perfectly well!

What could help is sliding the elastic or scrunchie down a bit, then tightening the elastic or scrunchie, sliding it down a bit more, tightening it again if need be. Or you could make a segmented ponytail!