PDA

View Full Version : How do I combat fluffy hair?

whiteisle
June 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM
It happens when I shampoo and condition. It happens when I CO, without cones and with them. The only time it doesn't happen is when I WO but after a couple of days my hair is too heavy/greasy/clumpy and I need to wash it again and then I'm back to fluff!

Is there any way to achieve the sleekness and weight that happens after WO for a day or so from a product(s) or is there some technique I could try? ~ TIA!

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 07:36 PM
For me, gel, either aloe vera gel or styling gel. I start out with wet hands, rub a small amount of gel between them, then finger through my hair, finishing by stroking my palms over the top-most layer (canopy). I like to start out with a small amount because I can always add more, but I can't take any out if I start with too much. Oh, and it helps to mix it with a drop or two of oil, too.

whiteisle
June 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hi spidermom:) - do you do this on wet or dry hair?

Curlsgirl
June 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yes and a leave-in conditioner helps me too. If you like cones, Sunsilk anti-poof was great for me when it was shorter and poofy like that. I used the conditioner not the leave-in. I also think coconut oil helps a lot.

whiteisle
June 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Curlsgirl - I've been timid about using oils on my hair (Don't know why exactly. They wash out, right? LOL). I guess I think it will make my hair look greasy and clump it together. Maybe I'll get brave tomorrow!:)

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
When you try oil, start with one tiny drop. Short hair doesn't need oil as much as long because the sebum can get all the way to the ends when it's short. The ends of my hair haven't been near sebum in years. (well, actually they have been near sebum in buns and such, but you know what I mean ... hopefully)

I do my anti-fluff routine on both wet or dry hair, but most often dry because I tend to wash at night, then braid. Sometime the next day after I've released the braid and my hair is dry, I think about styling it.

Curlsgirl
June 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Since your hair is M/C you are probably going to be okay with oil not weighing your hair down. If you're like me you NEED your hair weighed down a bit. I don't anymore but I sure did at shorter lengths. I would also suggest keeping it away from your scalp and like SM said, start with a drop or two (or a fingernail if it's solid). Coconut oil washes off easily for me. In fact I never get an oily effect even usually. My hair drinks it right up. I like it on wet hair but everyone is different. You'll just have to experiment. Good luck!

whiteisle
June 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thank you both! I think I'll start with the coconut oil and see what happens. Yes, I absolutely need some weight in my hair! I know when it gets longer it won't be so bad but right now it's almost a necessity.

ChloeDharma
June 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm mainly agreeing with the advice already given.....especially the aloe and oil idea.....my hair used to be so fluffy with no curl clumps (it was in the 2 range when i joined) that it looked like something of a cross between candyfloss and pubes floating about all over the place when i first washed, no matter how heavy a DT i used for a CO wash.

If while it was wet-damp i used the aloe/oil mix it really calmed it down alot. Oil by itself as a leave in helped too.

freznow
June 14th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Try adding honey to your CO. It always made my hair shiny and sleek.

whiteisle
June 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Try adding honey to your CO. It always made my hair shiny and sleek.

I've never used honey in my hair before.......how much would work for my short hair?

freznow
June 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I always used a glop of honey about half the size of my glop of conditioner. (Measuring is too complicated!)

It shouldn't take much, it's water soluble and spreads nicely when diluted/mixed with conditioner.