PDA

View Full Version : Black Hair! Help keep it from fading

lauravmarcela
March 31st, 2011, 07:01 AM
So I dyed my dark brown hair black and well...I'm in love with it. Sadly I used Manic Panic so it is guaranteed it's not gonna stay there forever. Regardless all dyed hair fades but I would like to know what you recommend to:

1. prevent black hair fading

2. What you recommend as hair dye. (I cannot wear cool or bluish tones because my skin is olive colored, only jet black)

ehow recommends "If you are a brunette, a low-ammonia formula is the best option. A permanent dye may be too harsh for such a small change in color and a no peroxide formula will wash out too soon or seem as if it does not take to your hair. "

Thanks for the tips!

Aleria
April 6th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I realize this is a bit old, but since no one replied to it, I thought I would! Because of the nature of Manic Panic, my recommendations are these:
1. Mix some of the Manic Panic into your conditioner (enough to turn it medium-dark, doesn't need to be pitch black)
2. Think about switching to CO.
I use Special Effects, a dye similar to Manic Panic and CO with dye-fortified conditioner, and it's actually darker now than when I first did it.

Avital88
April 6th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Jet Black! I love it.Try a semipermanent hairdye or Lush Caca Noir..
I do think Lush fades quite quick so maybe the hairdye is better for you.
I also want my hair jet black and in some lights it is, but in sun its just a darkbrown :(
Almost bought a semi permanent dye but my ends cant handle that right now, so i just stick to the henna for now.
Good luck and try washing with SLS free shampoo and stretch washes..

LocustSpawning
April 6th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I also agree with what others have said, SLS shampoo is horrible for fading dye really fast!

lauravmarcela
April 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I realize this is a bit old, but since no one replied to it, I thought I would! Because of the nature of Manic Panic, my recommendations are these:
1. Mix some of the Manic Panic into your conditioner (enough to turn it medium-dark, doesn't need to be pitch black)
2. Think about switching to CO.
I use Special Effects, a dye similar to Manic Panic and CO with dye-fortified conditioner, and it's actually darker now than when I first did it.

Thank you!

Jet Black! I love it.Try a semipermanent hairdye or Lush Caca Noir..
I do think Lush fades quite quick so maybe the hairdye is better for you.
I also want my hair jet black and in some lights it is, but in sun its just a darkbrown :(
Almost bought a semi permanent dye but my ends cant handle that right now, so i just stick to the henna for now.
Good luck and try washing with SLS free shampoo and stretch washes..

As soon as I saw the brown in light I got grumpy -_-
Also I think although manic is pretty safe, i still felt the hard ends
Henna gets A+ just me getting to actually buying it

AMW
April 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I just did henna/indigo for the second time on my hair ... I love how dark and shiny it is!

prof-annie
April 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I had black hair for about 5 years and the only way I could keep it a nice pure black was by using permanent dye. It looked amazing, but took 3 years to grow out! I used a nice and easy black which didn't give me much damage and always looked shing, but was a nightmare to remove!

Aleria
April 6th, 2011, 01:28 PM
On the subject of black dye, maybe my hair's weird, but I've dyed it three different ways:
-semi permanent box(30 washes)
-permanent box
-semi permanent salon

The semi-permanent from the box lasted the longest, and the boxed permanent lasted the least amount of time. Not sure why.

McFearless
April 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have naturally black hair so it would be different for you but I know the sun is my worst enemy. It could take my naturally ink black hair to a faded ugly colour if I'm in the sun too long. I wear lightweight hats and scarves. Apparantly oils and leave-ins also protect your strands. That makes sense since they do coat your hair.

As far as keeping up the dye have you looked into indigo? It isn't as quick as a box dye but there is no damage.

McFearless
April 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM
On the subject of black dye, maybe my hair's weird, but I've dyed it three different ways:
-semi permanent box(30 washes)
-permanent box
-semi permanent salon

The semi-permanent from the box lasted the longest, and the boxed permanent lasted the least amount of time. Not sure why.

I'm with Aleria. For some reason semi-permanent dyes like Herbashine by Garnier are 100% permanent on me, and yet the dyes I want to hold onto forever wash out.

lw8666
April 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM
What really worked for me was the semi-permananent Natural Instincts. When I use that on my hair, its black for months upon months. It doesnt do very much damage either. I am actually purchasing a box this weekend and I will be coloring my hair black again.

I do wanna try henna/indigo.

dreamsofthewind
April 6th, 2011, 04:57 PM
just a warning about Lush's Caca Noir, it did not even turn black on me, not to mention the minimal amount of color faded within 2 washes.

lauravmarcela
April 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'm with Aleria. For some reason semi-permanent dyes like Herbashine by Garnier are 100% permanent on me, and yet the dyes I want to hold onto forever wash out.

I need to try these if indigo doesn't last but I def know it's a great healthy hair choice

What really worked for me was the semi-permananent Natural Instincts. When I use that on my hair, its black for months upon months. It doesnt do very much damage either. I am actually purchasing a box this weekend and I will be coloring my hair black again.

I do wanna try henna/indigo.

I heard good stuff about Natural Instincts I hope to try that one if all else fails (Hendigo)