PDA

View Full Version : What do guys think of long hair on a girl?

Kat Girl
March 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
What are guys' opinions of long hair on a woman, compared to shorter hair? And what is their favorite length?

Nevvie
March 30th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I can't speak for all men but most of the guys I know vastly prefer long hair to short hair. Though each person's idea of long and preferences are different... I'd say most of the men I know prefer somewhere between apl to tailbone. I even know a couple guys who are REALLY into the classic + lengths.

I only know a couple of guys particular favorites. My boyfriend loves hip length hair (which probably influenced me into setting it as my goal). My Dad has always preferred mid back, probably because he has alot of daughters and was afraid of the consequences of anything longer. My brother seems to have a preference for waist length hair and so did my Grandpa. Then my roommate, I've never asked him but he mostly dates women with apl+ to maybe a little bit longer than bsl so I take it that's his type.

Amraann
March 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Almost all of the males I know prefer long hair.

tinywife
March 30th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Yep, same here. And they love to see us wear it down.

cybernetica
March 30th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Like the posters above me all the men I have talked to prefer long hair on women.

PrincessBob
March 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM
My spouse likes long hair, he really apreciates the efforts it requires to maintain, because his is also quite long, and he seems to find girls with longer hair more attractive than a bob, but he also seems more attracted to girls with brown or darker hair for whatever reason.

elbow chic
March 30th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Who cares? What's your favorite length? How do you feel about long or short hair on YOU?

Kherome
March 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Who cares? What's your favorite length? How do you feel about long or short hair on YOU?

My sentiments exactly.

However, I do recall reading a survey recently that stated, based on men's votes, they vastly preferred BSL wavy hair. Interestingly enough, the 3rd fav was the pixie.

telegraph64
March 30th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Well, men of all types whom I've spoken with over the course of my lifetime, have/had a preference for long hair, although were and continue to be, accepting of shorter lengths.
My darling has always told me, my locks are just a lovely bonus!

thirstylocks
March 30th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I cut six inchess of my long hair and none of my guy friends even noticed.
I don't really think they care unless its A. pixie cut or B. below the hips.
Anything in between doesn't register to most guys, as far as I've seen

gretchen_hair
March 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I think men and women are all different and have varying opinions and preferences. I don't think that one preference outweighs the other at any given time.

slythwolf
March 30th, 2011, 07:25 PM
It depends on the guy.

Nat242
March 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM
It depends on the guy.

Yup. Furthermore, some men aren't interested in women's appearances at all, but may have an opinion on hair length of other men.

Quixotica
March 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM
DBF met me when I had a pixie. I now have wavy APL length hair. He TOTALLY prefers the longer hair. Everyone is different - I've had past boyfriends that liked pixies.

EdG
March 30th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I'm going to buck the stereotypical view of a couple by saying that I don't believe a woman always needs to have longer hair than her man. ;)
Ed

lokiveil
March 30th, 2011, 08:26 PM
My husband likes it long, the longer the better and worn down. He HATES pixie cuts and bobs, and always says he wonders why women want their hair cut like men, lol. Now for men, it has to be short, both his brother and his father have long hair, but I have to keep my son's short..... But him being in the military probably has something to do with that one, lol.

apistat
March 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.suite101.com/content/short-hair-or-long-hair-a193670

TLDR: This study shows that long hair vastly improves attractiveness ratings for females, as well as improves other perceived quality ratings such as intelligence, health, determination, and independence.

krissykins
March 30th, 2011, 08:56 PM
They probably think, "That girl has long hair."

Oh wait, opinions? Well, some like it and some don't. Some just don't care. :p

BunnyBee
March 30th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I think it would be very difficult to gauge what 'men' think as if they were a single entity.

And to reiterate what some have already said; Why should you care?

Luna12345
March 30th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Most guys who I have been friends with and most guys who I have dated preferred long hair on me , APL and longer.
Many girls have told me to cut my hair short or that short hair looks good on me.

aragorn
March 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Most guys don't care at all what the hair looks like. I'm the exception, not the rule. Throughout High School and College my friends thought I was weird for even noticing hair length. I've heard a lot of women say that men like women to have long hair, so I guess there's some truth to it. But not as common as people think.

LisaButz2001
March 30th, 2011, 10:03 PM
My EX wanted me to cut mine to my shoulder blades, and at that time it hit waist. He'd be less than thrilled knowing I can sit on it now. I care to the extent that I want a guy who likes long hair, but I wouldn't chop to please a guy.

MindBeforeMouth
March 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I think men mostly prefer long hair on girls because it makes them look more femine. I know this wasnt in the question. But, I like when guys have long hair! Just some thing about it attracts me! ;D

Fingolphin
March 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I like it long, for the most part; I like it down and I like elaborate updos. I actually generally like it long on most people, but I admit it doesn't always suit everyone.

McFearless
March 30th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I think if you ask most men like when doing a poll they will say long hair. Not long hair like LHC long but around BSL. But when it comes down to it you can cut it many inches or grow it many inches and they wont notice. Therefore I say they don't really care/are aware of hair changes.

Debra83
March 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
My fiance was very glad to hear I was growing out my hair when we started dating...and he comments on it lots now as it's getting longer. (THANK GOD he likes wavy, too!) And, funnily enough, while I prefer blond hair, he prefers brown...which is what I have (as close to with henna as I can get anyway!

Monkey962
March 30th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I think men and women are all different and have varying opinions and preferences. I don't think that one preference outweighs the other at any given time.

It depends on the guy.

I'm seconding these, as it does indeed depend on the guy. But while we're on the subject, I obviously prefer long hair (I don't think I'd be on this site if I didn't:D).

humble_knight
March 30th, 2011, 11:11 PM
What are guys' opinions of long hair on a woman, compared to shorter hair? And what is their favorite length?

My first reaction is usually "Wow, that girl has a lot of a patience to grow her hair that long". Favourite length?Classic length and that's because I'm into pre-Raphaelite art.

hanne jensen
March 31st, 2011, 12:34 AM
My DH prefers long hair. It's at his request that I'm growing my hair. I've just gotten caught up in the process. DH's idea of long hair is just above waist. I want knee length.

Avital88
March 31st, 2011, 05:15 AM
I think men like long hair more than short hair, but for most of them APL counts as long..:P

Avital88
March 31st, 2011, 05:19 AM
btw ,My boyfriend already thought my hair was long at BSL and asked me if i was wearing extensions.(yes i was happy for him asking that, at least that means its long)
I told him i was growing my hair out, and first he didnt liked the idea of too long hair, but now im at hip he totally loves it and just last week he finally noticed and said to his friends: wow,look at her, she's got a LOT of hair!
So i think its really true about men not really noticing lenght ,only if its really short or longer than society standards.

enfys
March 31st, 2011, 05:30 AM
I've never had a man say "you should cut your hair!" to me. Or ask me why I have such long hair.

From this I deduce that they either don't give a fig over hair, or they like long hair.

DH loves my hair long. Anything less than BSL would be too short for his taste. I think he is an exception in that he really loves long hair on a woman. I blame computer games, elves and Star Wars for skewing his perception though.

x0h_bother
March 31st, 2011, 07:18 AM
Straight from a guy who is not interested in me: "I think it's time for a haircut (for you)." Pause. "But not too much. You know." So my vote is BSL is good in his opinion.
My fiance knows about LHC...he's tainted so I can't say how long he prefers. "I'm getting a haircut" get's "You're doing WHAT? No! Don't I like it!" :)

david
March 31st, 2011, 08:16 AM
Well from a guy's point of view I personally prefer long hair on girls. Length wise I dont have a 'cut-off' point (pardon the pun). Besides I have around waist length hair myself so it would be silly of me to be judgemental about hair length. But I definitely prefer long hair.

wvgemini
March 31st, 2011, 08:55 AM
It depends. DF likes long hair but he met me (and fell in love with me) when my hair was in an angled bob. He's quite happy that I'm growing it out though.

On the flipside, a friend of mine prefers short hair and kept trying to convince his wife to go for Alice's hairstyle (Twilight).

And some just don'e care :p

Othala
March 31st, 2011, 09:00 AM
My hair is much commented on.

I have had guys saying I should cut it and dye it, LOL.

My husband, however, loves it long and he is the only man whose opinion matters to me.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM
I asked my DH to respond to this question and he said: "It depends...if it looks good, clean, and well taken care of it's sexy and beautiful. To me hair is a sex symbol, and of course it looks good long." Hubby's Persian and has two sisters who always keep their hair quite long (waist/hip area). So to him BSL is not long...so then also added..."I haven't seen many American girls with really long hair."

nucleardelusion
March 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
My boyfriend and I started growing our hair out at the same starting point- a short guy's cut/pixie (respectively). I've known guys who loved shaved heads and guys who liked only long or didn't care at all... my boyfriend doesn't mind what my hair looks like as long as I'm happy. He does think it's really cool that our hair will be long together, but he's not nearly as obsessed as I am. :p

joyfulheart18
March 31st, 2011, 10:25 AM
I was actually curious about this, so thanks for your input, everyone.

nazzooyzo
March 31st, 2011, 10:40 AM
my boyfriend loved my hair short but now that im growing it out he's complimenting me too. most guys i know don't care that much about hair length. i think its more to do with whether it suits the girl or not

selderon
March 31st, 2011, 12:39 PM
DH loathes my hair short, loves it long. I'm not sure whether the prefers long hair in general or if he thinks I just look better with long hair. He said once, "You're just not a short hair person." LOL

I liked my hair short. I'm liking it as it gets longer too.

MeganE
March 31st, 2011, 01:21 PM
I've always had longer hair (mostly at BSL, sometimes longer, occasionally shorter), and almost exclusively dated men who prefer the pixie-style on women. How this happens... I've no idea. :)

vincent_cervant
April 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Personally I like longer hair. Somewhere between BSL and waist is preferred. I have a tendency to look past the hair. Its more about personality over anything. As a side note The girl would have to be able to put up with me being as girly if not more so than her about my hair.;)

Shoga
April 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM
My boyfriend loves long hair and was actually sad one day when I got a short TRIM.

I've met some men who really like short hair best, but I met others who really like it long. I guess it depends, lol.

BeatlesFanGirl
April 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
My BF (he's American, I'm Hungarian) always makes a comment that a, my hair is longer than most girls' hair he knows/sees on the street

b, I should grow my hair even longer, to hip or to TB. :D I assume that he likes long hair. :) And he notices the length difference. :P

vanillabones
April 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
My DBF met me when I had short dyed dark brown hair and when I decided I wanted to grow it to look more feminine for him I bleached and got extensions (which have damaged my hair even worse btw;) ) he didn't like them at all but liked when I curled them to shoulder length. He said it looked more natural? (probably compared to my straighttttt hair) But he doesn't like blonde at all.

I think most men would prefer a natural look on any girl. That must be why most prefer the wavy hair at BSL, it makes sense. And I agree that if you can accept your natural color/texture you will look pretty no matter what :) My hair is still short since I continually have to cut off splits but my DBF likes it both ways and doesn't mind either as long as I'm happy. I did consider shaving it however and he talked me out of it hehe :D

RitaPG
April 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'm going to buck the stereotypical view of a couple by saying that I don't believe a woman always needs to have longer hair than her man. ;)
Ed

Thank you! :D

Curlyg27
April 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Most guys I know prefer long hair and tell me I would be crazy to cut mine. I met only one who prefers short. But most prefer maybe mid back.

racrane
April 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Naturally it depends on the guy. My boyfriend likes my different hairstyles because he feels he gets different "personalities" from me.... He likes when I have chin length bob because I look sassy...but the long hair he loves because it's romantic and is thrilled I'm growing it out again. He loves me just the same, and that's the way it should be. I have a hunch he'd love me if I was bald.

braidedbeauty
April 28th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I think most guys prefer long hair it holds a certain fascination for them about women haha

dulce
April 29th, 2011, 09:36 PM
1 can only speak from my personal experience-hubbie likes it long best and in my 40's cut it to a pixie-some look nice in a pixie-1 don't..felt invisible for my 10 years of pixie-grew my hair long in my 50's and to my surprise get male attention again-males hold doors open and chat me up in store cashier lineups yet am 10 years older! so that's my experince-not very scientific though..

Sunsailing
April 29th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I think it's pretty obvious.....most men prefer longer hair on women.

I do know a couple of guys who actually prefer short hair on women.

When I met my wife, she had very short hair. So even though I LOVE long hair on women (hair is the second thing I notice on a woman....first are the eyes...), shorter hair never lead me to not be attracted to a woman.

I will admit that long hair will always catch my eye (especially if it's red).

Kathie
April 29th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Long healthy hair is apparently an indication of good health / genes. I’d argue more for hair smarts :D Anyways, most things associated with health are deemed attractive in both sexes.

rapunzhell13
April 29th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Some guys are diehard long hair lovers and think that every woman on the Earth should have long hair no matter what. I think the majority of guys think it depends on the woman. Most guys wouldn't say no to Halle Berry with a pixie, even if they generally prefer long hair on a woman. Some guys like a variety of hairstyles on the same woman. Then there are guys who don't notice or don't care. Hair is just hair to them. Men, like women, are individuals. Even if every single man on the planet preferred long hair except one, that one man might be the one you end up falling in love with. Then it won't matter so much that most men prefer long hair. Did that make sense to anyone but me? :lol: