PDA

View Full Version : how to get your hair more soft.

Kayla Nyx
March 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Ok, so I recently decided I wanted to grow my hair out longer. For about 9 months I didn't trim my hair and wouldn't let anyone touch it. I recently got all my split ends cut out and my hair is curly/wavy and still just to my bra strap, I'm able to reach behind me and grab the tips of my hair. What are some ways I can keep my hair moisturized and soft to help prevent split ends. I am very excited about getting longer hair. thanks. :puppy:

MeganE
March 30th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I get the best results with coconut oil applied to wet hair and washed out an hour later, about once a week or so. That's "so far," I definitely haven't explored every avenue open to me. But it's definitely a trial and error sort of thing.

I would recommend that you read the threads and *articles* on here, see what has worked for other people with your hair type and history, take before and after pictures of your hair, try out some various techniques, and figure out what works for you. :)

MissManda
March 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM
CO makes my hair insanely soft and silky and coconut oil is wonderful for protecting and moisturizing my ends.

Kayla Nyx
March 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM
thanks! I will try this. :D

Intotouch
March 30th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I read a thread where a lot of people recommended Kimberlily's coconut hair butter. Just using coconut oil should help as well. Once you have moisture back in your hair oil can keep it in and the slickness helps to keep it from catching and snapping. Coconut oil i believe is absorbed into hair and prevents protein loss.

Limberlily's hair butter (leave in conditioner):
8oz melted extra virgin coconut oil
2 oz jojoba oil
10 drops vanilla eo
10 drops sandlewood eo

The essential oils are just for scent.

using a satin hair bonnet at night will cut down on friction, as will keeping it up. This should help with splits. Oh, and henna helps. It coats and strengthens hair. You can get colourless henna to use as conditioner. Just don't use it if you think that you will ever want a perm as hair dressers won't go near it. The chemicals don't mix.

Lianna
March 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Olive oil on damp hair works for me everytime, if I do it too much I get overmoisturized! :D

jojo
March 30th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I second CO washing after just a few days hairs is 100% softer, also as a wavy try extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). I do one shampoo a week and CO wash every day, my hair is very wavy and was going a bit dry but my hair feels fantastic now, I don't know why I didnt do this earlier!

Good luck, also you are at a length where a lot of damage can occur; hair catching backs of chairs, handbags so bunning it when wet will not only make it softer but retain the length you have grown.

jesis
March 30th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I have curly/wavy hair as well. Good conditioner, a good SMT that works for your hair, and finding the right oils are all going to be a big help for you to get started on your long hair journey.

Keep in mind that you will still get splits regularly. Don't let it get you down. :)

Welcome to LHC.

krissykins
March 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
A great moisturizing technique is very important, but it is also important not to strip your hair of moisture constantly with harsh sulfates, like sodium lauryl sulfate. :flower:

CaityBear
March 30th, 2011, 10:35 PM
CO definitely helps.

Coconut oil while hair is still damp. Do not wash out.

Deep oiling treatments once a week (I like to use extra virgin olive oil, braid hair and leave overnight then wash out with conditioner)

And salt! Yes, salt. For the past month I've been using conditioner mixed with saltwater (sea salt), massage into hair and let sit 30 minutes or so (I have been COing by letting conditioner sit in hair before shower to be able to have shorter showers but you may be able to get away with just letting it sit for 5 or 10 minutes) then rinse out. My hair has been soooo incredibly soft! Next month I'm going to experiment with epsom salt...or maybe I'll do my rooibos tea rinses for a month THEN epsom salt....hmm

Anyway! Those are what I've found helps.

dollface
March 30th, 2011, 10:41 PM
for me going CO helped a ton and when i added coconut oil for heavy deep treatments and a home-made EVOO concoction (EVOO, conditioner of choice, water, and half a vial of hask placenta). if you experiment you'll definitely find something that works for you.

Debra83
March 30th, 2011, 11:31 PM
CO definitely helps.

Coconut oil while hair is still damp. Do not wash out.

Deep oiling treatments once a week (I like to use extra virgin olive oil, braid hair and leave overnight then wash out with conditioner)

And salt! Yes, salt. For the past month I've been using conditioner mixed with saltwater (sea salt), massage into hair and let sit 30 minutes or so (I have been COing by letting conditioner sit in hair before shower to be able to have shorter showers but you may be able to get away with just letting it sit for 5 or 10 minutes) then rinse out. My hair has been soooo incredibly soft! Next month I'm going to experiment with epsom salt...or maybe I'll do my rooibos tea rinses for a month THEN epsom salt....hmm

Anyway! Those are what I've found helps.

I wonder if it is because you are making your "hard" water "soft" with the salt. Water softeners use salt to do that.

JJetson
March 31st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Evening Primrose oil mixed with sweet almond oil put on the ends prevents breakage. You can do about 4 oz of almond oil with 1 softgel of evening primrose, as often as you like or once a week. It takes about 3 or 4 times to really see the difference.

CaityBear
March 31st, 2011, 12:38 AM
I wonder if it is because you are making your "hard" water "soft" with the salt. Water softeners use salt to do that.

No, the water isn't hard where I'm living right now.

I had been reading stuff somewhere where a lot of people found adding salt to their conditioner made their hair very soft.

FullMoonTrim
April 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evening Primrose oil mixed with sweet almond oil put on the ends prevents breakage. You can do about 4 oz of almond oil with 1 softgel of evening primrose, as often as you like or once a week. It takes about 3 or 4 times to really see the difference.
Hey JJetson,
I have never tried the almond oil (although I know it's popular!). Thanks for the suggestion!

ooo
April 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
co, acv, no blowdrying and a little leave in does it for me.

shikara
April 2nd, 2011, 12:05 AM
Other than treatments, when I let my hair down after a damp bunning, the softness is fabulous!

wavyR
April 2nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
i condition my hair everyday, regardless of whether i'm shampooing it or not.

using a hair butter on my ends.

periodic protein treatments.

laying of the heat styling.

Boudicca
April 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
Deep oiling with coconut oil makes mine very soft. Braiding when damp, too.

NouvelleNymphe2
April 2nd, 2011, 04:57 AM
I write about several different treatments in my blog (click here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=87076)). I agree with lots of the suggestions already given. I especially think raw butters absorb in my hair well, better than oil even. I have used Shea and Cupuacu, and will start using Almond butter and Avocado butter soon. I'll review those in my blog too. Also check out this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586&highlight=Fox%27s+moisture) regarding Fox's moisture cream. That's where I started regarding raw butters as leave-ins. :D

wavykisses
April 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Every of the above post, plus I put a water filter on my shower,
big difference my hair is softer than ever.

Anje
April 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
Moisturizing generally is my route to softer, slippery hair. I'm a huge fan of the SMT (check the recipes section) for moisture.

Oils are great too, but some work better than others for many people. They help keep hair soft and flexible, slow its drying out, and add some slip and protection. Many people like coconut and olive as both penetrate the hair. Start with the tiniest smidge rubbed between your hands and smoothed over the length and ends.

JJetson
April 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ooo, which hair butter do you use, WavyR?

NouvelleNymphe2
April 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Just wanted to add that stretching my washes has also increased my hair softness.