PDA

View Full Version : Thresholds

WaitingSoLong
March 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
For those of you who are maintaining or have actually cut back length, do you have a threshold of hair length that seems to be the limit of "do-able" to you?

If so, what is it and what are your reasons?

I think I have reached my threshhold. I no longer enjoy the work it takes to keep my hair nice. :( I no longer feel like I can really wear it down and I am one of those who don't intend to have long hair unless I can wear it down. Also, it seems like I do more accidental damage to it than I can handle. I am thinking TBL is my limit but I really wanted to get to classic. I don't know it maintaining and thickening my ends will help or not. I actually think I did better at hip. But I just love the feeling of my hair on my backside ;) Stupid hair greed. :p

I am just curious where other people's thresholds are.

telegraph64
March 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Hello!
I once maintained around knee before cutting back from long-term mechanical damage, to start over.
Knee was my limit, although I knew I could go to ankle if I truly wanted to, I could no longer wear my hair down. I have thick strands and medium thickness, and my hair does not tangle not split easily, therefor longer lengths are far easier to manage.
I love knee length and aspire to maintain there for as long as I feel I can, once I'm back.

Deborah
March 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I usually maintain somewhere between hip and tailbone. When my hair gets longer than that it starts to feel too heavy in updos, and just generally annoying.

Malibu Barbie
March 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I keep mine around tailbone, classic was just too long to maintain and always in the way. I too love to wear mine down. I'm going for classic again just wearing it up more. If it bugs me again back up to tailbone it will go :D

Mesmerise
March 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM
For those of you who are maintaining or have actually cut back length, do you have a threshold of hair length that seems to be the limit of "do-able" to you?

If so, what is it and what are your reasons?

I think I have reached my threshhold. I no longer enjoy the work it takes to keep my hair nice. :( I no longer feel like I can really wear it down and I am one of those who don't intend to have long hair unless I can wear it down. Also, it seems like I do more accidental damage to it than I can handle. I am thinking TBL is my limit but I really wanted to get to classic. I don't know it maintaining and thickening my ends will help or not. I actually think I did better at hip. But I just love the feeling of my hair on my backside ;) Stupid hair greed. :p

I am just curious where other people's thresholds are.

I'm like you (obviously not in length yet lol) in that I want hair that I can wear DOWN when it's long, which means for me I want to stop at hip, because that seems like a reasonable length that can be worn down and look good without too much hassle, but can of course still do great updos.

Of course, I'm not AT hip yet, and I may decide to go longer once I get there... but I doubt I'd actually ever go to classic as it seems a bit unwieldy for wearing down.

And in my opinion (just mine of course) there's not much point in HAVING long hair if I can't wear it down!

Lostsoule77
March 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I've never gone longer than bcl and have never felt like I reached my threshold. After finding this site I think I might try to grow to classic. I however agree that long hair should be worn down (at least sometimes.) I wear it down at least one day a week and for most special events (since I wear my hair up the majority of the time it seems special to leave it down.) We'll see if I can make it that long and if it bothers me if/when I do.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question. I think if you really want to try for classic you should, but if you are satisfied with where you are at then that's long enough. I do think you can maintain where you are for a bit and with trims get healthier ends and then proceed if that is what you are looking for. It's really up to you. :)

WaitingSoLong
March 31st, 2011, 05:37 AM
I do think you can maintain where you are for a bit and with trims get healthier ends and then proceed if that is what you are looking for. It's really up to you. :)

This is what I am leaning towards doing.

Thanks everyone. Anyone else???

ravensinger13
March 31st, 2011, 07:47 AM
I thought I had reached my limit when I hit BCL, but it turns out I was just really really tired of my routine. Switched to oil shampoo and I'm in love with my hair again. So, I'm glad I'm too lazy to get a haircut and stuck it out! I am aiming for knee, but who knows if I'll ever get there. I don't wear my hair down very often, mostly just to let it dry then it goes up in a bun or the occasional braid.

ericthegreat
March 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM
Even though my official goal is to get to my natural terminal length, what I've actually been doing is S&Ding and trimming off my ends, so in effect I've been maintaining my length at around tailbone length or just slightly longer. Given that I've had at least longer than waist length for over two years now, I would say that waist length is my minimum length threshold. Anything shorter that waist length and I really would look and feel completely different than what I've been used to.

darklion
March 31st, 2011, 09:24 AM
In the past, waist was as far as I could tolerate. My ponytail would get caught, while wearing it down it would be in the way. Usually, I would grow it to waist and cut it off to bsl/mid-back, then grow it back out. This year I vowed that I would work with it and see if I could grow it out to classic. It's at the tipping point... I'm at waist again. We'll see how long I last!