PDA

View Full Version : My new bun ^-^

spiritlocks
March 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
So lately my usual bun has really been hurting my head. so just a few minutes ago, i figured out a way to make a bun that will hopefully not hurt my head. I'll wear it tomorrow to school to check. but here it is.
http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/41125/2308626990101615061S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2308626990101615061GvPScv)
sorry its not that good of a picture, but tell me what you think.

Spiritlocks. :eek:

fae
March 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
It is lovely. It looks comfortable. How do you do it?

AJoifulNoise
March 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Ooo, pretty. Yes, yes... Do tell!

spiritlocks
March 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
let me see... how to explain this....

this might be confusing, but here goes nothin.

1. make a regular braid.
2. insert a stick horizontally through the hair near the base of the braid
3. insert a stick through the hair near the top of your head
4. take the braid and wrap it in a figure eight style around the two sticks, i only did this once.
5. then wrap the remaining hair around the figure 8 and viola there is your bun.

you'll have to tell me if the instructions are clear, and how it works for you.

Enjoy!
Spiritlocks

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Now that's a bun!

AJoifulNoise
March 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Makes sense to me. I don't think I have enough hair to do that right now... Because of my thickness. But, I will definately keep it in mind.

And again, it is really pretty!

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
thats bunilicious! *sob* wish my hair was longer to try *sob*

spiritlocks
March 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
thank you everyone, normaly my hair isn't this messy but i didn't wear my hair in a bun to school today because, alas the old bun isn't working to well... hopefully this will take its place :-D

FoxFire
March 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Cool do- I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing

Patrycja
March 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
and I wish I didn't have so many layers..I actually understood those directions :shock:

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thats a fabulous bun! I'm gonna try it tomorrow!

coppercurls
March 13th, 2008, 12:37 AM
That is one great looking bun!

auntdaisy
March 13th, 2008, 12:41 AM
beautiful! I wish my hair was long enough to pull that one off~ maybe someday :(

maskedrose
March 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Thats awesome! I wonder (for us "short hairs") if maybe a variation with a figure eight plus wrapping around one stick would work too? I don't think mine is even long enough for that...but it will be!

Gumball
March 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
It looks absolutely gorgeous spiritlocks! You have amazing hair and the style looks fantastic. I hope it's kind to your head, too! :)

AprilElf
March 13th, 2008, 04:11 AM
That's a delicious looking bun, spiritlocks! Your hair colour is lovely. :)

I like this bun, might have to add it to my 30 updos list (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=251). Do you think you'll give it a name/patent it;)?

I started my figure-8 by going up and over the top hairstick from left to right, then down on the diagonal and under the bottom hairstick from left to right. A little bit of braid remained, which I tucked under the upper left portion of the '8'. Hope that was 'kinda' similar to what you did.

Silver & Gold
March 13th, 2008, 04:32 AM
The bun is very attractive.

*crosses fingers and hopes that it's comfortable for you too*

Lixie
March 13th, 2008, 05:03 AM
That's such a pretty bun, spiritlocks. Hope it's comfortable for you. Thanks for posting the instructions, I'd quite like to give it a go.

Xandergrammy
March 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM
It's gorgeous!!! How did you secure the end of the braid?

eresh
March 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
That looks amazing!
Definately going to try!

Mishka_84
March 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
That is beautiful... and looks very simple to do too (at least for me, as I am hair style challenged)... Seems to me like those with shorter hair could do this with two braids but still get a similar look.

KatKeRo
March 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Looks amazing.
I have to try it one day.

spiritlocks
March 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
yes it did work, i'm so happy, i could barely feel it on my head...

oh and alls i did was tuck the tail under the bun, i had enough to wrap the tail around the bun one and a half times, so it stayed pretty well, alls i had to do was tighten it once during the day.

and idk what i will name it, unless its already been made up... any suggestions?

Lixie
March 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
The Spirit Bun? :D

cuddledumplin
March 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Very pretty!

zift
March 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
What a brilliant bun spiritlocks! Very creative and looking gorgeous. My hair is currently drying and I know when it does I'm going to try it immediately. Not sure I'll have enough length to wrap around two sticks like you did,my hair is just around mid-thigh.
Maybe a more definitive name for it hmmm double sticked wrapped version of braided pinless figure eight bun *LoL* How do you like it? :D

Chamomile betty
March 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Just beautiful!
It will look great to wear to school.

Poolsoflaughter
March 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Spiritlocks, that bun is so beautiful! It's things like your bun that continue to inspire me to grow long locks!:)

Wavelength
March 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
How about "Double-Stick Braid Bun"?

Gorgeous looking, btw! I just got out of the shower or I'd give it a whirl! Not sure I have enough length though...

"Spirit Bun" works too!

beadedbudgie
March 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I vote for Spirit Bun.

Those instructions sound easy. I don't think I have enough braided length to do it though :-(

AJoifulNoise
March 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I also vote for "Spirit Bun." I'm glad it worked for you!

spiritlocks
March 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I like the Spirit Bun and so far thats winning... ^-^

Maybe a more definitive name for it hmmm double sticked wrapped version of braided pinless figure eight bun *LoL* How do you like it? :D

but i thought this was rather cool too :p. we could call it DSWVOBPFEB..... :-D joking joking. can you imagine remembering that?

zift
March 14th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I like the Spirit Bun and so far thats winning... ^-^

but i thought this was rather cool too :p. we could call it DSWVOBPFEB..... :-D joking joking. can you imagine remembering that?

Tehee OK so DSWVOBPFEB it is :lol: no seriously "spirit bun" sounds lovely and since you discovered it you deserve the name;)

Curlsgirl
March 14th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Yes! Spirit bun I second that! Or 7th that or whatever!!!!

:cheese:

spiritlocks
March 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
lol Spirit Bun it is then.... ^-^ <--- can you tell i love this face? :-D

FrannyG
March 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I love the Spirit Bun! It's gorgeous! :hollie:

Pyrola
March 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Great directions! I need to try that... And maybe with two braids. :cheese:

lora410
March 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
What a large beautiful bun!!!!

Tigerdawn
March 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I happened to have a braid in today so I tried it with an old chopstick and a mechanical pencil at my desk. I'll have to practice to get the sticks to stay level but it worked!! It feels very balanced. I took pictures and I'll try to get them uploaded and posted soon. I tried uploading pictures to my album a few minutes ago and it didn't work. I will definately add the Spirit bun to my list of updos!!

spiritlocks
March 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
ooo i can't wait to see how it looks on someone else ^-^

wendyg
March 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I'm wondering if one could achieve the same effect with a fork as long as it had two prongs fairly widely separated.

wg

spiritlocks
March 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm wondering if one could achieve the same effect with a fork as long as it had two prongs fairly widely separated.

wg
I don't know, the only forks I own are the ones I eat with. :D

Tigerdawn
March 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Ok, here's my first attempt with the chopstick and the pencil.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/tigerdawn47/IMG_0895-1.jpg

Then today I tried it unbraided, just made a low ponytail and did it that way. It was really secure and neat looking. I wore it out to the mall. I thought it looked really elegant and it made it seem like I had a ton of hair.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/tigerdawn47/IMG_0897-1.jpg

I'll try to do it again tomorrow when my hair is dry and maybe I'll get a less blurry picture of it.

I love this bun sooo much!! It is so well balanced and comfortable!

AJoifulNoise
March 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Tigerdawn! Those are really pretty! I love it unbraided, too.

spiritlocks
March 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
that does look really good, I thought about doing it unbraided but never tried it, now i'll have to :-D

alligatorbaby23
March 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Just had to add, the bun (TIGERDAWN) looks as amazing as Spiritlocks, both are awesome, and are they easy? I am getting there, so would love to know another bun that is not on TOP of my head and pulling hairs... Not "Updo " challenged, I can pull my same old bun like a champ, but come on now. WHERE IS OUR 30 day challenge 08! I need a challenge, even at 4 30 am....

Anje
March 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
That is truly gorgeous, both braided and unbraided. Hope I can remember it if/when my hair gets that long!

takethecake
March 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I love it! But, like Xandergrammy asked, How do you secure the ends?!?!

Thanks all.

spiritlocks
March 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
alls I do is tuck it under and thats it, *tuck it under the edges of the bun* it always stays fine for me.

spiritlocks
March 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
oh and i thought i might add, if you like this, you might like the three stick version, alls you do is add a third stick on top and wrap it around them, it looks really cool

AprilElf
March 16th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Wow, great unbraided variation Tigerdawn!
I likeeee ...! :D

Tigerdawn
March 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I used bobby pins to secure the edges. I bet Amish pins would work better but I don't have any.

Carina
March 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
That's what I call a big bun:cool:.I hope it will be gentle on your scalp and don't hurt you.;):magic:

Tigerdawn
March 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Here's the one I made today. I started with a french braid because I figured it would have more holding power for the top stick. I also didn't like the way it looked when I wrapped the excess around the first side again so I folded it at the bottom and pinned it inside, then pinned the tail on the other side. For most people I think that would mean that you start the bun on the right side and then I would have pinned the tail on the left side. But I do all my buns left-handed so it's backwards.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/tigerdawn47/IMG_0904-1.jpg

My picture is reversed from real life, so according to the picture, you start the wrapping to the right, and with my length, the tail ends up on the right as well. That looked funny, so I folded it underneath, pinned it there, and pinned the rest of the tail on the left side. Clear as mud? ;)

Shell
March 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hey, it works on classic length hair too! My buns are not as impressive as yours though. Anyway, I'll post a pic when I can.

vindo
March 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Great bun I have to try it.

I know it might sound funny but I have so much less hair and it hurts me already weight wise :(

Ohio Sky
March 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
My hair is nowhere near long enough to do this but its giving me ideas for variations that may work at my length.
You all have such beautiful buns! ...wait... :o

WritingPrincess
March 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Wow! You both have beautiful buns (pun unintended). I really like the French braid version and the unbraided version, which does make it look like you have a ton of hair. But then you do. . .

vindo
March 19th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I tried it this morning but I dont have enough hair for the bun :( in both ways..I only get to coil 1 Figure 8, it would look more like a bun if I could wrap it around once more..and yeah it looks weirdly flat.
I tried it with 2 Strands though and it turned out to be one of the most perferct round looking chinese buns ever :D

Arniky
March 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
nice bun especially with the sticks

Krifantasy
October 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Oh man, this has really made me start playing with my hair in updo's. I cannot wait until it is long enough to do buns like this! The spirit bun is gorgeous.

Shorty89
October 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I can understand directions and my hair is currently in a braid. Whoo! I'll try it right now!It looks awesome.

Nic's
October 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Now that looks very cool

Nastacia
April 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
That's a great looking bun, but in needs a lot of hair >_>
You have amazingly long/beautiful hair ! Way to go :3
*sob* Grow hair, grow !

Sha-na-na
April 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks much for posting this. It is very pretty :blossom:

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Very nice bun!! And the directions were clear....AND I have enough hair to make it work. Triple-play!! :cheese:

Molster
April 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Ooh yes, like Spirit Bun very much, braided and unbraided versions - must try!

countryhopper
March 10th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Ok, here's my first attempt with the chopstick and the pencil.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/tigerdawn47/IMG_0895-1.jpg

Then today I tried it unbraided, just made a low ponytail and did it that way. It was really secure and neat looking. I wore it out to the mall. I thought it looked really elegant and it made it seem like I had a ton of hair.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/tigerdawn47/IMG_0897-1.jpg

I'll try to do it again tomorrow when my hair is dry and maybe I'll get a less blurry picture of it.

I love this bun sooo much!! It is so well balanced and comfortable!

Ok, this is a REALLY OLD thread, but I just have to say, this is one of the THE MOST AWESOME BUNS I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!

Now I just need to grow another two feet of hair to try it....:D

Rhiannon7
March 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Ohhh it's beautiful! want longer hair to be able to do this bun. instructions are great! thanks.

TXbarbie
March 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM
This is so pretty!

Chetanlaiho
March 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Kinda semi-off topic but are those hairsticks from Claire's? I have a very similar looking pair xD (black with a silver flower on the top?)

I'll have to try this one, it looks comfy ^^

podo
March 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
omg! That's amazing!

For those who don't think they can do this (yet) - I've found that a lot of times you can make it look like more hair if you split it up some... so for the Spirit Bun, do one braid starting at the top and one at the bottom - wrap one braid and then the other so they come out a little more evenly.

I'm SO going to have to try this tonight/tomorrow! I'm seeing some neat variations, like crossing 2 sticks and weaving them in and out (I actually saw this idea somewhere else, but can't remember the name), or using 3 short sticks in a circle...muhahahah

nighthawk
April 11th, 2011, 02:02 AM
All the variations or gorgeous. I attempted the unbraided, but need a little more length to do it neatly, but is a great housework kinda bun for me.

iluvkorn
April 11th, 2011, 03:26 AM
i love the spirit bun!! i wanna try it. and i love the twist that tigerdawn put on it with the no braiding method.
think i'll try them after work today. i don't have time now because it's my coffee time before work:coffee:

Venefica
April 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM
That is a beautiful bun, I will have to try that one. However how do you fasten the hair once you are done wrapping it?

Madora
April 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Spiritlocks, your braided figure 8 bun is lovely indeed! Thanks for the instructions!

Natalia
September 23rd, 2012, 11:44 PM
Wanted to revive this for others since i dont recall seeing it in the articles section. Got my new sticks and ran across this and am dying to try it!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 24th, 2012, 02:13 AM
The spirit bun is lovely, both braided and unbraided. Methinks we want a video tutorial please.:D

How exciting, getting a bun named after you!

Natalia
September 24th, 2012, 02:28 AM
The spirit bun is lovely, both braided and unbraided. Methinks we want a video tutorial please.:D

How exciting, getting a bun named after you!

Stats say she hasnt been active since 2009 so i think we will have to wish it upon someone else to do that for us.

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Stats say she hasnt been active since 2009 so i think we will have to wish it upon someone else to do that for us.
Hooray Zombiethread! And a new bun I didn't know about!:cheese:

:flees zombie, all the while braiding her hair to try out the new-old bun:

jacqueline101
September 24th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I like that.

catamonica
September 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM
What a beautiful bun!

Natalia
September 24th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hooray Zombiethread! And a new bun I didn't know about!:cheese:

:flees zombie, all the while braiding her hair to try out the new-old bun:

Hahahaha yeah im often guilty of zombie threads at least its a good thing in this case :). How did it work for you?

DinaAG
September 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM
if it hurts you then its your hair trying to tell you something, try a loose braid or a very loose bun or even a loose unicorn braid

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hahahaha yeah im often guilty of zombie threads at least its a good thing in this case :). How did it work for you?
It was awkward while driving with the sticks running around and catching on things like the headrest and the OTHER SIDE of the headrest:doh:, but it was super comfy the rest of the day.

I finally gave up and took my hair down into the foundation braid while driving and put it back up when I got out of the car.:D

Natalia
September 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM
It was awkward while driving with the sticks running around and catching on things like the headrest and the OTHER SIDE of the headrest:doh:, but it was super comfy the rest of the day.

I finally gave up and took my hair down into the foundation braid while driving and put it back up when I got out of the car.:D

Oh my goodness im giggling just imagining that :p much less funny when its happening though im sure. Good to know its so easy to re-do :)

spirals
September 24th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Or 7th that or whatever!!!!

:cheese: :lol: ed at that. You are so funny.

piffyanne
September 25th, 2012, 11:34 PM
:lol: ed at that. You are so funny.
I :rollin:'d at it, too.

I love the LHCers to pieces!

maria_asa
September 26th, 2012, 12:29 AM
*subscribing to this thread to not loose the instructions*

I'm wearing a version of this bun today and so far it's very comfortable.