PDA

View Full Version : Baby Hairs-Love 'em or Hate 'em

JessTheMess
June 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Do any of you have the wispy little hairs along your hairline that only grow about as long as an inch and they are to thin to really do anything with? All of my life I have wished that I had a defined hairline with a widow's peak. I've learned to accept my little hairs, after this great idea I had in high school to shave them off. Let's just say that it didn't work as well as planned, and now I just deal with them. Anybody have any thoughts about them?:hmm:

jojo
June 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yes I have these. The bulk of my fringe is an inch passes my chin, but my baby hairs just reach my top lip, they have been this length for months now, annoying aren't they? The ones on my neck are only about 3" long but there quite cute as they are curly!

Elainehali
June 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm probably going to be in the minority here. I love my little baby hairs. For me they soften the way my updos look.

Mine are long enough to be held back, but I like them out.

JessTheMess
June 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The only way I can get them to stay back in an updo is if I gel them back, and even that rarely works. I usually end up with a cowlick haha

flapjack
June 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I have tons of these at all different lengths as they grow in. They're straight and then curve under at the ends so they don't bother me too much as they look smooth and it kind of looks like they've been purposely left out of updos and stuff, anyway.

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I've got baby hairs floofing up all over the place. They're what give me my halo in the sig pic. I'm not crazy about them, but husband says they make me look like an angel (aaahhhhh!)

paradoxx
June 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
After years of trying to adhere the whispies down, we have finally settled into an uneasy truce. I still wish that they laid down neatly, but they no longer bother me. :shrug:

Siava
June 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have a lot of them, too which is why I like to put my hair up when it's wet/damp so they're stuck down. I don't use hairspray or gel so doing it this way helps. After a day or so they start to spring out and I look like the crazy cat lady.

Ohio Sky
June 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I think I know what you mean... I notice this mostly on African-American women, where it seems that an inch or so of the hairline is really short, like 1/2" to a 1". I really like the way that looks for some reason. My baby hair get several inches long before growing but never long enough to pull back. I like the shorter baby hairs.

Sana
June 13th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Oh yes, I have always had them. No product can tame it. It's always there like a halo

FrannyG
June 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I have lots of baby hairs in both front and back. The baby hairs on the back of my neck grow toward the left for some reason.

I love my baby hairs. They soften the look of updos a bit.

Morag
June 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I don't get them along the hairline, where I'd be overjoyed to see them filling in, but I do get them in my part, sticking straight up no matter what I do. I've always had them, about 1 1/2 inches long, standing straight up like little soldiers.

Right now all my hair is different lengths anyway, but I really do hope that now that I know some better things to do for my hair, these will grow out along with the rest and stop looking like I took a scissor to my crown in the mornings.

Curlsgirl
June 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah sometimes I pull them out on purpose to look cute. :love:

I don't really like them around my head on top though, just looks like frizz sort of. I'm used to them though and I do use gel to smooth them a little there.

ZaBasDa
June 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM
About the first cm of my hair is full of them. Most of them are about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch long. They are too short to curl properly and end sticking up in all manner of unsightly positions. It looks like I have a bad case of frizz. I hate them, yet am resigned to the fact they they exist and nothing will smooth them down.

Angellen
June 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I don't like the ones at my nape, as I feel they look a bit too mannish for me, and that isn't my goal. I do, however, really like the ones in the front on the right. They taper gradually from about 30-40 hairs to 4 a little ways past my chin. It looks quite cool, actually, and it softens my otherwise harsh, somewhat slicked back cinnabuns.

toodramatik
June 14th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I don't like the ones at my nape, as I feel they look a bit too mannish for me, and that isn't my goal....

Me too. They make me feel hairy. ickyyy.

I don't mind the rest. but when I had long hair they drove me insane.

goldenwaves
June 14th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I get them :). After a day of having my hair in a ponytail or a night of having my hair in a braid, I look like I have a golden halo around my hair!!

Riot Crrl
June 14th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I have all of the kinds already described. Hairline baby hairs: sort of cute. Grey short hairs on top of my head: arrg. Nape hairs: OK.

Sceleste
June 14th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I have baby hairs on the backside. My neck hair is about 2-4 inches long and doesn't grow longer. It's really annoying when I put my hair on a high bun, and those hairs don't reach it.

I'm glad that I don't have more baby hairs on the neck or I'd look like I had a mullet. :)

ilovelonghair
June 14th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I got them all over. I have a defined hairline at my forehead, the baby hairs are chin lenght, and some are shorter. I got them behind my ears and at the nape. I actually like those because they form nice curls.

JessTheMess
June 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with the little buggers haha. All this time I thought I was alone in this.

Haith
June 14th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I love my baby hairs! They used to really bother me, but I've accepted the fact that they're never going to grow, and being a wavy, they're never going to lie flat. They make all of updo's look a little messy, but that's a style that I've come to like. Effortlessly undone. Ha ha. After years of battling with my hair, I now realize that I'm happier (and my hair is happier) when I let it do its own thing.

Bucatini
June 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I'm probably going to be in the minority here. I love my little baby hairs. For me they soften the way my updos look.

Mine are long enough to be held back, but I like them out.

Me too! It's nice to have the choice to leave them held back or to pull them out.

lady G
June 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I have baby hairs around my fringe area when i pull my fringe back in a skinny hairband they pop out, little wispy bits, lol so I guess I have to live with them:)

Lacus Autumni
June 16th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I have these too, athough I never used to. They're coming in as one line straight across my hairline at the forehead, so it looks like I have really thin bangs. I'd cut more bangs, but they're pure torture to grow out again. So I just push them aside and ignore them as best I can. Oftentimes they start to curl out to the sides of my head, and they're just long enough to look like devil's horns.

Katze
June 16th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I really hate my baby hairs. After a huge spurt in growth last spring, then a massive shed this fall, then another growth spurt I have little 'spikes' sticking up from temple to ear, breaking the smooth plane of my hair, then the hairline and part baby hairs that stick up three inches around my head, then the nape baby hairs that are curly and M texture so they look weird and wiry and too much like *other* body hair if I have my hair up.

Baby hairs are the #1 reason why I rarely wear my hair up. Yes, I can do messy 'dos, but they are the only kind of updos I can do, at all. I feel much better when all the frizz and short fine hairs are just part of my waves rather than the neverending battle to get my hair 'out of the way.'

Alaia
June 16th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I think everyone has those.

They are the hairs that shed, or something else. Mine never seem to grow beyond a couple of inches, and I have a patch on my head which is entirely composed of these, I've never been without them.

What's really annoying is the long ones which end up in my updos but sticking out of them. An annoying number of those actually end in split ends.... :rolleyes:

Liluri
June 16th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I love that they show me that my hair is growing but they bug me because they don't behave. :) So I guess it's a love hate relationship.

Tap Dancer
June 16th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Love 'em! :heartbeat

My baby hairs are short and I think they look good. They keep my hairline from looking harsh...especially when my hair is pulled back.

Lady Godiva
June 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
They are the hairs that shed, or something else. Mine never seem to grow beyond a couple of inches, and I have a patch on my head which is entirely composed of these, I've never been without them.What they are is hair that is affected by two slightly different sets of hormones, the first for scalp hair and the second for facial/body hair. Hence, the perimeter hair grows to a length between the hair found in those locations. It never grows as long as real scalp hair, but it's longer than regular body hair.

harley mama
June 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I like my baby hairs. I like all my hair on my head.
I feel baby hair is a sign that my hair is still growing.

tiny_teesha
June 16th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Oh i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Just this morning i saw them peeping from the top of my braid (where my regrowth is) and i was soooo pleased and excited!!!!

paper
June 16th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Love them. I think they give a softness around my face. And, it shows that my hair is growing.