PDA

View Full Version : Micro Trimming Longer Layers

x0h_bother
March 29th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi All,
I had done a search for micro trim instructions on hair that was already layered. I really didn't find anything-most was about newly cutting layers, so I figured out a method that works for trimming my own layers. I made a video showing what I did, and it has helped me postpone my haircut and lessened my pointy ends.
Here is my method, it is kind of "no duh" but it may help someone.
It looks a lot like dusting, but I'm not searching for damage, I'm not searching at all- rather I'm trimming the ends from unevenness/pointiness and this helpes my snarles and jagged edges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAVbx0PjsFc
My voice on the mic gets messed up twice in the vid- the higher pitch is my real voice not digitally messed up voice. Sorry for that.

UltraBella
March 29th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Darn, this video won't open for me for some reason :(

x0h_bother
March 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Darn, this video won't open for me for some reason :(
Hmm ok im a newb lookin into it...not loading?

ETA: I logged out and it works for me. It is HD no clue if that matters or not. I'm not tech savvy with vids so I hope it works for others, if there is an error message or if it loads partway or something please let me know what happens so I can look into it.

Can anyone see it? Is there an error message?

RetroKitten
March 29th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I can see it and it's very clear, but the sound is displaced (or is it just me?). Anyway, I think your hair looks great!

x0h_bother
March 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I can see it and it's very clear, but the sound is displaced (or is it just me?). Anway, I think your hair looks great!
Nope there is a sound problem, not sure why. And thanks! :blossom:

UltraBella
March 30th, 2011, 12:07 AM
So weird, I still can't watch it. HD would make no difference. I click the link, YouTube says it can't load the video but I can watch other videos....... Bizarre :(

UltraBella
March 30th, 2011, 12:11 AM
If you tell me your YouTube user name or the title of the video, I can search for it and possibly watch it.

alwayssmiling
March 30th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Works fine for me thanks for that. Your hair is lovely - I'm glad I'm not the only one who obsesses with the ends of layers. I do just what you do - can't wait for them to grow out they are such a nuisance.

bunzfan
March 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I can see it and hear it fine i have layers to i would just be worried that it would make my hair a bit un even, i haven't cut the actual layers since May last year.

Sundial
March 30th, 2011, 04:40 AM
If you tell me your YouTube user name or the title of the video, I can search for it and possibly watch it.

Hey UltraBella! I had problems loading it when I clicked on the link directly but when I refreshed the page it was fine. Try using another web browser too if it still doesn't work? Also, it seems that her username is ophidance and video title is 2011-03-29 21-13-59.273.wmv. However I'm not sure if you can search via her username since there was a prompt stating "This video is unlisted. Only those with the link can see it."

x0h_bother Just a quick question! I had been tempted to do this before watching your video, but what stopped me was that I was worried about the widening gap between the short layers and the longest layer. What I mean is, if you are not microtrimming your length on a regular basis (i.e. no trim) but you are still microtrimming the short layers to keep them manageable then the layers will keep getting shorter while you still gain length on the longest layer.

Also, how do you ensure that you are not trimming the same strands twice or that you are not microtrimming the layers too often since you mentioned that you do it on a daily basis? (I *really* had to ask this because I check on my strands obsessively too :o)

Do you have any advice on the points I mentioned? How do you deal with them? Those are some concerns which have kept me from microtrimming using the method shown in the youtube link

x0h_bother
March 30th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I can see it and hear it fine i have layers to i would just be worried that it would make my hair a bit un even, i haven't cut the actual layers since May last year.
I would be concerned about this too, but my hair has grown so unevenly and I am a 2a/b so it is actually less uneven than what I started with and isn't noticeable on my own hair.

Hey UltraBella! I had problems loading it when I clicked on the link directly but when I refreshed the page it was fine. Try using another web browser too if it still doesn't work? Also, it seems that her username is ophidance and video title is 2011-03-29 21-13-59.273.wmv. However I'm not sure if you can search via her username since there was a prompt stating "This video is unlisted. Only those with the link can see it."
Correct. UltraBella I tried to upload the video on 2 other sites but it didn't work- one was not in sync and the other only played 1.5 minutes of it. Sorry! :(

x0h_bother Just a quick question! I had been tempted to do this before watching your video, but what stopped me was that I was worried about the widening gap between the short layers and the longest layer. What I mean is, if you are not microtrimming your length on a regular basis (i.e. no trim) but you are still microtrimming the short layers to keep them manageable then the layers will keep getting shorter while you still gain length on the longest layer.

Also, how do you ensure that you are not trimming the same strands twice or that you are not microtrimming the layers too often since you mentioned that you do it on a daily basis? (I *really* had to ask this because I check on my strands obsessively too :o)

Do you have any advice on the points I mentioned? How do you deal with them? Those are some concerns which have kept me from microtrimming using the method shown in the youtube link

I do micro trim my bottom layer which is the same amount as the top layers, but the top layers seem to grow slower and I know what you are saying by widening gap. My advice would be to do an actual trim on the bottom layer, 1/8-1/2 inch. Rule of thumb is to cut the bottom layer twice as much as you do the other layers. I don't cut my bottom layer myself except for this dead-ending method, what I do is in about a month I will get the bottom layer hacked about 1/2 inch. I get this bottom layer trimmed at a salon 1/2 inch 3-4 times a year.

Oh no, I don't micro trim daily, I smooth my hair that way daily, but this is the first time I trimmed in 3-4 months. Sorry for being misleading. That's how I know the ends are bad, I look at them and touch them daily, unfortunately.

In theory don't know for sure that I'm not trimming the same layer twice, but I have evidence that I trimmed already, because when I smooth my hair the ends of the layer is no longer pointy. As in the first example in the video, I had already cut those ends so there was nothing more to snip- it was pretty blunt. I don't take off that much, I would imagine if you took off more you would need to match other pieces of hair to what you just trimmed. Which is more complicated than my method, and I'm not uber skilled, so I would go to a salon myself to trim this much off.

soni92
March 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I want long layers so bad! Good video (: thanks

LadyJJ
June 1st, 2014, 04:18 PM
I need to try it out next time.