PDA

View Full Version : Biotin?

curlyhairdfreak
March 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hi, I am new here. I used to have hair to about my hip but last year I cut it all off in a small fit of madness. Right now it reaches my shoulders but I want it to grow faster (I am also having trouble with it falling out). I just started taking 1 mg of biotin per day and I was wondering if that is enough or too much. I weigh 97lbs and am 5'4" if that helps. Also If you have had any experiance with biotin I would love to hear about it.

Oh one last thing on another post I used "btw" before I read the thing about no "text speak" so I am sorry and can you edit posts?:confused:

Thanks!:)

MoonlightShadow
March 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM
i guess it really depends. i would say try taking 1mg of biotin for a month or two and see how it works. if it doesn't have any effect, maybe it would be okay to take a more.:)

gthlvrmx
March 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Well ive been taking 5000 mcg of biotin a day for 4 months and i saw great results personally, less shed especially in shower (record at 5 strands!) and much stronger hair :) Oh and the best part, ive got a head full of fuzzies. :) New growth. But it depends on the person though, i see nothing wrong taking this amount since i dont see anything bad happeneing to ME and my mother uses it too, it certainly helped her grow her hair much better within 6-8 months of usage. Honestly, i think over a certain amount and your body will take it out like with your urine, sweat glands, other stuff. Learned that in class yesterday :p

Night_Kitten
March 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I vary between 600mcg and 1000mcg (depending what my local pharmacy has at the time I need to replenish my stocks).
I have noticed less shedding, but I don't know wether it is the biotin or the pre-wash oilings with castor and rosemary oil (I started both the Biotin and the oiling about the same time, so no way to tell which one it is... :o)
I know there are members here that swear by Biotin, and others that had no effect at all, so it's personal experience only, no way to tell if it will work for you before you try it...

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Please get advice from a medical professional NOT unqualified stranger on a forum if you are considering (or already taking) high doses of supplements - some are unsafe.
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html

mustpannkook
March 30th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I wouldn't recommend taking that much biotin... It's just a waste of money (and also might not be good to your health). Check out Igor's blog, she has a long text about biotin there.

I wouldn't suggest taking more than 500 mg but 225 mg is just as good as 500 mg (in my opinion)

Scarlet_Heart
March 30th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I take 5,000 mcg of Biotin daily. And I have to disagree with Firefox. Biotin isn't a drug, it's just a vitamin that is found naturally in foods like eggs. I don't mean any offense, Firefox, I just have a different opinion. I read your blog, and your argument is sound, but I personally notice a difference.

I shed less hair, it seems to grow faster, and my nails don't break.

Fairlight63
March 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Also some people have problems of their face breaking out if they take too much. Just something to watch out for if your face starts to breakout - that may be the cause.

knoxkatie
March 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM
welcome to LHC!

I agree that it is best to inform your doctor of any new vitamins or supplements that you decide to add to your regimen. That said, I think LHC is a great place to get information about vitamins and supplements that have helped other ladies and gentlemen to grow healthy, long hair.

I'm not as small as you, but I do have a similar bodytype. I take 1000 mcg of biotin a day. I do find that it gives me painful acne sometimes (especially around my period), so if I feel a spot coming on I skip taking the biotin for a few days.

I have also found that taking MSM and silica have dramatically increased my growth rate, so maybe you could consider taking taking those as well. Good luck :D

knoxkatie
March 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM
also one more thing, I find it a bit ironic that firefox says to only take advice from a medical professional, but then directs you to read a random person's blog entry rather than an actual peer reviewed article.

Monkie
March 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I don't take Biotin, the only supplement I take right now is Fish Oil. Should I be taking biotin to speed up my growth? or not really? I know some people swear by it, but really I think a complete multi would do more for my hair than just taking one specific thing.

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM
also one more thing, I find it a bit ironic that firefox says to only take advice from a medical professional, but then directs you to read a random person's blog entry rather than an actual peer reviewed article.

You clearly missed the point. ;) I am not attempting to demonstrate my (lack of) knowledge on high dose biotin - my qualifications/ experience are in healthcare not hair and beauty. Linking to Igor's 'rant' was intended to make people think about the risks they are taking with their body, not be a source of nutritional advice. I cannot see the point in regurgitating something that has been worded so well.

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I take 5,000 mcg of Biotin daily. And I have to disagree with Firefox. Biotin isn't a drug, it's just a vitamin that is found naturally in foods like eggs. I don't mean any offense, Firefox, I just have a different opinion. I read your blog, and your argument is sound, but I personally notice a difference.

I shed less hair, it seems to grow faster, and my nails don't break.

I know what biotin is, I've worked in healthcare for twenty years! :p There are many micronutrients that are harmful in excess, the body needs a balance to function optimally. Salt and sugar are nutrients found naturally in food, it doesn't make it any the less damaging to consume many times the recommended 'dose'. Tobacco is just a herb, that doesn't stop it killing around half of all smokers. Those are not debating points they are cold hard facts, but it's entirely your call not to agree with Igor's opinion as expressed in her blog.

pinchbeck
March 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I think MSM works, too. Start off with smaller dosages to see how your body tolerates these supplements and gradually increase to the dose that is safe for your frame.

I am sorry you cut your hair in a fit of rage. I have done that before taking my anger out on myself.

In2wishin
March 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Definitely read as much as you can, both scholarly and anecdotal to see if it is worth trying for you. Start with smaller doses also and work up to what you feel is best for you. I took 1000mcg but got acne on the face, neck, and scalp so I quit it. The downside wasn't worth the upside for me. I do take MSM, mostly for my bad knees but welcome any additional hair growth. I have taken DE but am not consistent enough to say if it helped me.

Oh, and BTW: don't worry if the occasional BTW or OMG slips in ;) . The mods don't seem to worry if some of the more universally used abbreviations are used (in moderation).

Scarlet_Heart
March 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I know what biotin is, I've worked in healthcare for twenty years! :p There are many micronutrients that are harmful in excess, the body needs a balance to function optimally. Salt and sugar are nutrients found naturally in food, it doesn't make it any the less damaging to consume many times the recommended 'dose'. Tobacco is just a herb, that doesn't stop it killing around half of all smokers. Those are not debating points they are cold hard facts, but it's entirely your call not to agree with Igor's opinion as expressed in her blog.

But... as far as I know tobacco, salt, and sugar are not water-soluble vitamins.

Oh well, I'm not in the biz or anything so I'm sorry if my ignorance is showing. The last thing I want is to start a catty argument over it. Just saying I'm enjoying good results and of course, all things in moderation. Peace to you. :toast:

nazzooyzo
March 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM
i've been taking biotin since january. i havent seen super growth with it. im probably going to stop using it once my pills run out and carry on using daktarin instead

ilovejimmy
March 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Can Some One Anyone Pls Tell Me What Msm Is?::confused: And How It Making Thier Hair Grow Faster? Thanks :)

knoxkatie
March 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Firefox, I think most people here are cautious and smart and do a good amount of research before they begin taking vitamins and supplements. However, I'm not trying to be disagreeable :flower: I think we both agree that it is a good idea to suggest that people talk to their doctor about any supplements that they decide to include in their diet.

ilovejimmy, MSM is an abreviation for Methylsulfonylmethane.

Here is a thread about it: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45973

A lot of people take it for joint health, apparently. I have seen much more of a difference with MSM and silica than I did with biotin. I don't know whether it was the MSM or silica, or the combination of both that helped me because I began taking both supplements at the same time.

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 11:49 AM
But... as far as I know tobacco, salt, and sugar are not water-soluble vitamins.

Oh well, I'm not in the biz or anything so I'm sorry if my ignorance is showing. The last thing I want is to start a catty argument over it. Just saying I'm enjoying good results and of course, all things in moderation. Peace to you. :toast:

I don't want an argument either and I'm sorry if I appear catty. :blossom: It truly frightens me the casual way supplements and herbal remedies are discussed, advocated or recommended, and the level of misinformation passed around by unqualified individuals as if it were gospel. :( I am not on a crusade to get everyone to stop taking supplements, but to get people to stop suggesting them to others without taking a full medical history and diet diary.

BTW sodium is a mineral (micronutrient), biotin is a vitamin (micronutrient), glucose/ sucrose are carbohydrates (macronutrient). :)

krissykins
March 30th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I don't want an argument either and I'm sorry if I appear catty. :blossom: It truly frightens me the casual way supplements and herbal remedies are discussed, advocated or recommended, and the level of misinformation passed around by unqualified individuals as if it were gospel. :( I am not on a crusade to get everyone to stop taking supplements, but to get people to stop suggesting them to others without taking a full medical history and diet diary.

BTW sodium is a mineral (micronutrient), biotin is a vitamin (micronutrient), glucose/ sucrose are carbohydrates (macronutrient). :)

I'm going to have to agree with Firefox on this one. Taking larger amounts of any nutrient is going to have adverse affects on one's body. Look at how an influx of carbs has affected the US population.

I can understand maybe 2x the RDA for Biotin, but not 20x or more, which a lot of members here take.

curlyhairdfreak
March 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
wow thanks for all the replys :) . Also to firefox, I have checked with my doctor and she said it was fine I was just asking about the experiences other people have had with biotin and hairgrowth/ shedding.

krissykins
March 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM
wow thanks for all the replys :) . Also to firefox, I have checked with my doctor and she said it was fine I was just asking about the experiences other people have had with biotin and hairgrowth/ shedding.

Did your doctor give you a recommended daily allowance (RDA)? Taking biotin supplements is perfectly fine, but mega-dosing can have negative consequences.

dollface
April 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM
i'm a little late replying to this, but i just take a hair skin and nails supplement from the grocery store. they have other vitamins and ingredients other than biotin and by following the nutrition info you don't have to worry about getting too much. i have seen improvement in my hair by taking supplements.

Igor
April 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM

Ironically, you obviously haven’t read my entry then?

My point to this was that the Recommended Daily Allowances are there for a reason. They are not there to ruin your hair growing for you or keeping healthy hair down. There is no government anti-hair conspiracy.

The RDA’s are based on what people who studied for years to earn their degree in the field have researched and studied to base a recommendation for all-around health: Bones, muscle, nerves, brain and so on. It’s based on what will help keep you fit and healthy and out of care facilities so you can lead a productive life and not cost the government money.

Just like with speed limits, they are not there to ruin your fun. They are actually there to protect you.

My blog post was about that people should actually seek out medical professionals, or at least listen to the Recommended Daily Allowance guides. That, and stop spreading “Yea, its water soluble so you can totally over-mega-hyper dose on it all that you please!”

krissykins
April 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Ah, Igor, I was wondering when you'd pop up. You always know how to convince people not to mega-dose on biotin :p

Igor
April 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Ah, Igor, I was wondering when you'd pop up. You always know how to convince people not to mega-dose on biotin :p
If only that was the truth.

When ever I post on it, it only ads to the opinion of those who are already taking a moderate, healthy amount of supplements.

Those who disagree will keep over-mega-hyper dosing no matter what, because obviously I’m just some mean old jealous bitch and doctors don’t know what they’re talking about anyways…?

I really should stop caring and letting people enjoy their cystic acne, light sensitive headaches and oh, what else was reported? Ah, right. Kidney issues.

Firefox7275
April 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM

When ever I post on it, it only ads to the opinion of those who are already taking a moderate, healthy amount of supplements.

Those who disagree will keep over-mega-hyper dosing no matter what, because obviously I’m just some mean old jealous bitch and doctors don’t know what they’re talking about anyways…?

I really should stop caring and letting people enjoy their cystic acne, light sensitive headaches and oh, what else was reported? Ah, right. Kidney issues.

Please don't stop caring, we need you around. :) Even if one lurker seeks the advice of a suitably qualified medical professional then the notes of caution are worthwhile. I am under no illusion that I will change the opinion of the die hard pill popper, but there will always be 'floating voters'. ;)

Firefox7275
April 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM

Pleased to hear that. :) The reason I post is that every thread on supplements seems to end up with people advocating/ recommending/ suggesting higher doses or still more supplements (for example posts 9 and 14).

knoxkatie
April 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Ironically, you obviously you haven’t read my entry then?

My point to this was that the Recommended Daily Allowances are there for a reason. They are not there to ruin your hair growing for you or keeping healthy hair down. There is no government anti-hair conspiracy.

The RDA’s are based on what people who studied for years to earn their degree in the field have researched and studied to base a recommendation for all-around health: Bones, muscle, nerves, brain and so on. It’s based on what will help keep you fit and healthy and out of care facilities so you can lead a productive life and not cost the government money.

Just like with speed limits, they are no there to ruin your fun. They are actually there to protect you.

My blog post was about that people should actually seek out medical professionals, or at least listen to the Recommended Daily Allowance guides. That, and stop spreading “Yea, its water soluble so you can totally over-mega-hyper dose on it all that you please!”

Igor, I don't see how it is ironic that I didn't read your blog. I didn't read it because I'm not looking for any advice about taking biotin, and I never said that what you wrote in your blog had no merit.

By my post, I just meant that it was ironic that firefox said a person should only ask their doctor's opinion about vitamins and supplements, but then she directed the OP to a blog for advice about why not to take biotin. Also, I'm sorry I called you a "random person." I didn't know you were a LHCer and what I meant by that was "a person who is not the OP's doctor."

I think it's totally great that you shared your experience with biotin and I hope that it helps other people decide whether or not to add it to their regimen. I think more speech is always a good thing, especially a voice of caution, but in the end it is up to each individual to decide what is right for them.

I would also like to point out that I agree (and have stated this already in this thread) that someone should talk to their doctor about which vitamins and supplements they choose to take, but I do think it's okay to ask about other LHCer's experiences so that they can decide which vitamins and supplements they would like to talk to their doctor about.

knoxkatie
April 2nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Pleased to hear that. :) The reason I post is that every thread on supplements seems to end up with people advocating/ recommending/ suggesting higher doses or still more supplements (for example posts 9 and 14).

In post 9 I shared my personal experience about taking it, and I never "advocated/recommended/suggested" taking it. In fact, the only thing I suggested about biotin was talking to her doctor about it.

krissykins
April 4th, 2011, 09:45 AM

Well, for the record, you made me rethink what I was taking (2000 mcg) and upon researching further, I realized that's why I suddenly had acne when I've never had issues with it before. :) So thank you.

From this point on, I will bow out of this thread because something said has gotten my flaming fingers all riled up. Luckily, I deleted everything I said before I posted it.

OP, I do hope that you take everything you see about nutrition supplements on LHC with a grain of salt and talk to your doctor. :)

Toodles.

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
welcome to LHC!
I'm not as small as you, but I do have a similar bodytype. I take 1000 mcg of biotin a day. I do find that it gives me painful acne sometimes (especially around my period), so if I feel a spot coming on I skip taking the biotin for a few days.

I have also found that taking MSM and silica have dramatically increased my growth rate, so maybe you could consider taking taking those as well. Good luck :D

In post 9 I shared my personal experience about taking it, and I never "advocated/recommended/suggested" taking it. In fact, the only thing I suggested about biotin was talking to her doctor about it.

Emboldened for clarity. :brickwall

knoxkatie
April 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Emboldened for clarity. :brickwall

I see that you took it upon yourself to leave out part of my quote "I agree that it is best to inform your doctor of any new vitamins or supplements that you decide to add to your regimen."

In the part of my post that you emboldened I suggested that she consider other supplements that I have found beneficial to growth rate. Clearly by the OP's original question she was already considering taking biotin. Why else would she have posed the question in the first place?

I still fail to see where I advocated taking biotin. Saying that I take it myself is not the same as suggesting it to others. I never even said whether or not it improved my growth rate, which it has, so yes I think it's worth asking your doctor about. (To clarify, now you would be correct to say that I have advocated taking biotin for hair growth, with the stipulation of talking to a doctor, if and only if you reference the sentence prior to this one.)

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I see that you took it upon yourself to leave out part of my quote "I agree that it is best to inform your doctor of any new vitamins or supplements that you decide to add to your regimen."

In the part of my post that you emboldened I suggested that she consider other supplements that I have found beneficial to growth rate. Clearly by the OP's original question she was already considering taking biotin. Why else would she have posed the question in the first place?

I still fail to see where I advocated taking biotin. Saying that I take it myself is not the same as suggesting it to others. I never even said whether or not it improved my growth rate, which it has, so yes I think it's worth asking your doctor about. (To clarify, now you would be correct to say that I have advocated taking biotin for hair growth, with the stipulation of talking to a doctor, if and only if you reference the sentence prior to this one.)

1. If you don't understand the meaning of the word 'OR' or the function of the forward slash as punctuation we cannot conduct a meaningful discussion. Once again emboldened for clarity; if English is not your first language or you have learning difficulties I apologise unreservedly.

2. Just because someone poses a question does not mean you are compelled to respond in an irresponsible manner. Did you take a medical or diet history? Did you ask if the OP or any lurkers are pregnant? Did you run any blood tests? There is a reason dermatologists and dieticians spent many years studying their chosen discipline, it is incredibly arrogant to think you know better. I can assure you most would be disciplined or sacked for casual remarks such as yours, regardless of any disclaimers.

3. I have two decades experience of working in and studying healthcare. Most roles have involved interacting with hospital patients or the general public - I can assure you that most people do not check the 'suggestion' they got from a random website/ the hot girl on the next treadmill/ the pub landlord with a suitably qualified medical professional. Sometimes they approach me asking why their diet/ exercise plan is ineffective; sometimes I have to try to undo the damage that has already been done, occasionally I have to refer them to a specialist. :(

Pleased to hear that. :) The reason I post is that every thread on supplements seems to end up with people advocating/ recommending/ suggesting higher doses OR still more supplements (for example posts 9 and 14).

welcome to LHC!

I agree that it is best to inform your doctor of any new vitamins or supplements that you decide to add to your regimen. That said, I think LHC is a great place to get information about vitamins and supplements that have helped other ladies and gentlemen to grow healthy, long hair.

knoxkatie
April 4th, 2011, 01:40 PM
"I shared my personal experience about taking it, and I never "advocated/recommended/suggested" taking it. In fact, the only thing I suggested about biotin was talking to her doctor about it."

I thought it was clear that I was talking about biotin.

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM

"I shared my personal experience about taking it, and I never "advocated/recommended/suggested" taking it. In fact, the only thing I suggested about biotin was talking to her doctor about it."

I thought it was clear that I was talking about biotin.

Humour me and embolden the part of post 29 (quoted by you in post 31) where I attributed any wrongdoing in respect of biotin to your good self. ;)

knoxkatie
April 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Honestly, I think we need to agree to disagree on this one. As I see it, the difference in our stance on this issue is that I think it's okay for individuals to share personal experiences with vitamins and supplements. You seem to not think it's okay to discuss vitamins and supplements with anyone but a doctor.

Can we just end it at that please? Thanks.

Scarlet_Heart
April 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
:horse: -----> :cheese:

knoxkatie
April 4th, 2011, 02:00 PM
:horse: -----> :cheese:

HILARIOUS :)

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Honestly, I think we need to agree to disagree on this one. As I see it, the difference in our stance on this issue is that I think it's okay for individuals to share personal experiences with vitamins and supplements. You seem to not think it's okay to discuss vitamins and supplements with anyone but a doctor.

Can we just end it at that please? Thanks.

As you wish my dear. :) To be clear IMO it's only OK for a suitably qualified health professional to advocate, recommend or suggest supplements.

UltraBella
April 4th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Firefox7275, I posted this on a totally different thread but I am not sure if you will see it or not so I copied and pasted it here. I debated posting it here at all, but I think it applies and I hope you will read it with an open mind. If you saw it on the other thread already, sorry for the duplicate. This is how I truly feel when it comes to LHC and advice :

"Firefox, you can't police other people's posts because you are in the health profession and think their suggestions or advice is lacking. Advice is given on this forum 24/7, some good and some mediocre and some downright terrible. There is a huge difference between politely stating that you think a member may be misinformed and jumping down their throat.
I have noticed that you feel free to give bleach and hair color advice, are you a licensed professional in this area too ? I have thought that some of your advice was lacking but I have not called you out on it, I have just posted my own opinions and moved on. We all have to tolerate each others thoughts, posts and advice. The OP must take all the advice and filter through it, knowing some of it may be untrue. That's what happens when you post on a large forum such as this one. I think you will find that questioning every medically related opinion or suggestion on this forum will be VERY time consuming and will not be appreciated unless you find a way to do it politely.

ETA: Firefox, I do not wish you to think I have an issue with you personally, I don't. I just have noticed that this is not the only thread that things have gotten heated on and sometimes I even want to agree with you on health related things, but I can't because of your delivery. I think your intentions are good, but the way you word things steps HARD on other's toes.
I understand where you are coming from, I really do. My husband is an eye doctor and we own an optometrist practice/optical. Members ask eye questions on here often and other members give absolutely horrid advice sometimes. Make you go blind advice....... And as much as I sometimes want to scream " Oh my god, NO !!!!!! Do NOT put that in your eyes, are you CRAZY !!!!!!! " I know I can't and I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I have to just take a deep breath, politely interject and explain my concern and then leave the rest up to the OP to sort through. It's all I can do and still be a valued member of the community here and keep the forum fun for myself. Others are able to give ANY advice they want and I have to except that.
I realize this is long winded, I just wanted to explain why I feel the way I do."

Lianna
April 4th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I don't think we need to ask doctors about every little thing we do in our life. We are able to do researches ourselves too. Asking random strangers on a forum might not be the best way to go (since health is a big deal), sure. But I hope you all know what I mean. I get so sick of every health related issue someone answers: go to a doctor. Just like hair related issues: go see a hairdresser. (this happens a lot on yahoo answers, lol)

Panth
April 5th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I don't think we need to ask doctors about every little thing we do in our life. We are able to do researches ourselves too. Asking random strangers on a forum might not be the best way to go (since health is a big deal), sure. But I hope you all know what I mean. I get so sick of every health related issue someone answers: go to a doctor. Just like hair related issues: go see a hairdresser. (this happens a lot on yahoo answers, lol)

*curious* Do you really think doctors are unnecessary? I really don't see why consulting an expert is not a valid way to get information about a health issue. For the general public much critical information is either inaccessible (behind a journal paywall) or unintelligible.

IMO the comparison to a hairdresser is rather disingenuous. Hairdressers are trained in cutting and styling hair into fashionable shapes, not hair health.

Mesmerise
April 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM
*curious* Do you really think doctors are unnecessary? I really don't see why consulting an expert is not a valid way to get information about a health issue. For the general public much critical information is either inaccessible (behind a journal paywall) or unintelligible.

IMO the comparison to a hairdresser is rather disingenuous. Hairdressers are trained in cutting and styling hair into fashionable shapes, not hair health.

I think she's just saying that we don't need to ask doctors about EVERYTHING we do. I certainly don't go to the doctors every time I want to try something new, or use a supplement or whatever. I do my own research on it!

Doctors definitely have their place, but they don't know everything either, and many have very poor training in nutrition and thus may not even have a great deal of knowledge about supplementation.

I think if you want to try biotin, or any other supplement, do some reading on it and your own research, and then try it out yourself. If you find you get a bad reaction then you can decide to lower your dose or stop taking it or whatever. You can even see your doctor THEN if you're worried!

Panth
April 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I think she's just saying that we don't need to ask doctors about EVERYTHING we do. I certainly don't go to the doctors every time I want to try something new, or use a supplement or whatever. I do my own research on it!

Doctors definitely have their place, but they don't know everything either, and many have very poor training in nutrition and thus may not even have a great deal of knowledge about supplementation.

I think if you want to try biotin, or any other supplement, do some reading on it and your own research, and then try it out yourself. If you find you get a bad reaction then you can decide to lower your dose or stop taking it or whatever. You can even see your doctor THEN if you're worried!

See, this is where I differ. I think you should start at the RDA and then if after a couple of months you are not getting side effects OR the benefits you look for you can gradually increase the dose over a series of months until either you get results or you get side effects. If you get results, continue. If you get side effects, stop.

What I am saying (and I believe Firefox too, although obviously I cannot speak for her) is that it is irresponsible to advocate to others to start on supplement doses that are tens of times over the RDA simply because you have not had ill effects.

Supplements are not harmless, especially when overdosed on to such a large extent. They can also interact with medication or underlying conditions. The only person who is qualified to start to advise you about that is a doctor - yes, a GP is not particularly specialised in nutrition, but they are a good place to start.

Personally, I think there is a very big difference between using supplements to attempt to ensure you have your RDA of vitamins and minerals and mega-overdosing on a single supplement for (let's face it) the sake of one's appearance. Maybe it is a little bit OTT consult your GP if you were thinking of taking a multivitamin or a fish oil tablet at its recommended dosage. However, if you are thinking of taking 1 mg of biotin daily (as was recommended) when the RDA is 30 ug (i.e. recommending over 30x the RDA) then consulting a doctor before starting this dosage is rather less of an over-reaction.

Remember - just because biotin is a water-soluble vitamin does not mean it is harmless. Side effects of overdose include cystic acne - so, yes, you could just stop if you get spottier - but they also include kidney damage which is much less likely to be recognised until serious damage is done.

UltraBella
April 5th, 2011, 07:23 AM

You are mistaken, many hairdressers are trained extensively on hair health.

And my point was...... suggestions, comments and advice are freely given on this forum. If Firefox feels free to give advice in areas that are not her expertise, she should extend the same courtesy to others.

Many here take supplements for hair growth and this is a place for them to share their experiences. While you may think it is a bad idea to take a particular supplement, vitamin, compound, etc... people are still going to do it. I am all for politely stating your feelings, but the constant questioning of member's qualifications to give advice lately is getting VERY irritating. This is a forum, not a doctor's office. Discussion is wanted, warranted and welcomed, even the misguided and questionable. I just don't like the tone lately and I don't like members not posting for fear of getting verbally attacked by another member. It's happening too often.

Lianna
April 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thank you, Mesmerise. I didn't say doctors/hairdressers don't have their value, there are situations we need both of them. There are things in life we can do on our own: researching biotin/supplements/some cases of self medication/etc.

I know quite a few people who researched their prescription meds and found out the meds were the cause of complications the doctor himself (or herself) didn't figure it out...If someone happens to read something "unintelligible" to them, that's another matter. Sorry to think taking suplements isn't such a complicated topic.

I'm pretty sure she could find out about any unwanted symptoms on her own if did a little research. Just asking in here and reading the responses might trigger her (or anyone) to go learn more about it. Reading a forum discussing the topic isn't the best way to learn people's experiences with it, also?

After researching any possible side effects, if someone stills decides to use whatever they're reasearching, it won't be any different than a doctor's advice. I really don't understand how I was "disingenuous" either. And no, I don't live my life by "doctor's orders", maybe if I were in another time with less information available. And no, I don't take biotin. :p

constancev18
April 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I took Biotin for a month but it caused terrible acne and weight gain (water retention). When I took it with B-Complex I had better results (less acne), but I didn't notice any additional growth. Other people have wonderful experiences with it though. Good luck!

PolarCathy
April 6th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Just something to be wary of...

I have been taking brewers yeast (containing biotin) for about two weeks now, and one week into the experiment I noticed that I think I have more hair on my forearms. They are fine hairs but longer than they were. Unfortunately, dark brown so if they keep growing I won't be taking the tablets.

Three days ago, for the first time in my life when looked into the mirror, I noticed the tiny vellus hairs on my face. They are transparent so they don't bother me (yet) but they grew out during this two-week interval. My hair has also grown a lot but on my scalp I use other things too so it may be a more complex thing, I can't say it's the brewers yeast which boosted growth at this point.

I have been taking the max recommended dosage (12 tablets a day, about 3.6 g of the yeast -- IDK the exact biotin content).