PDA

View Full Version : So.. I quit smoking.

AnqeIicDemise
March 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM
And not for all the health reasons like avoiding cancer or anything like that. Not even the yellowing of teeth or possible breathing issues got me to stop. (yay, tooth bleach!)

Yup. I stopped smoking because of my *hair*... and skin. I got tired of carrying around the icky smell in my hair and the dryness I suffered everywhere for it (face, hands, hair).

I miss the puffing, though and playing around with the cig. :mad: I don't miss the lightheaded that came with it after a bit, the smell or the nicotine. I miss the actual *puff* and twirling the damned thing between my fingers.

Anyone else quit smoking for such 'vain' reasons? lol

christine1989
March 29th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Way to go! :cheer: The hair picture in your signature looks great so I can only immagine how great your hair will look when it is no longer surrounded by toxins.

Nevvie
March 29th, 2011, 08:24 PM
It doesn't matter why you quit, a vain reason is as good as any. Congrats! I've been trying to quit for a while, it's so much harder than it should be.

telegraph64
March 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I smoke socially but I do know a lot of people who have quit for very vain reasons. One way or another quitting is not a possible task without very strong motivation, and vanity can be one of them.
You go girl!

Lostsoule77
March 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Congratulations! No matter what got you to stop it's an accomplishment. If you feel like your gonna go back to it I suggest you try the e-cigs. My sister quit for health reasons and after a few months felt like giving in. She got some e-cigs and is still cigarette free. It's worked for a few others I know as well.

Again congrats and here's to your hair and skin reaping the rewards. :)

AnqeIicDemise
March 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Congratulations! No matter what got you to stop it's an accomplishment. If you feel like your gonna go back to it I suggest you try the e-cigs. My sister quit for health reasons and after a few months felt like giving in. She got some e-cigs and is still cigarette free. It's worked for a few others I know as well.

Again congrats and here's to your hair and skin reaping the rewards. :)

Hubs got me the e-cig. A nice little black one so it looks like my gothic little cloves (oh man.. what a phase. I am still a Goth at heart though.) with a green light.

Doesn't do me much good if I keep losing the damned thing. -.-

It has been about.. oh.. two weeks now?

Mesmerise
March 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I never started smoking for vain reasons! When I was in my teens there was an anti-smoking ad on TV aimed towards kids that said "smoking stunts your growth" and as I was already the shortest in my year, there was NO WAY I was going to risk becoming even shorter! Of course, despite not smoking I'm still only 4'11"!

Anyway, when I talk to teenagers and tell them not to smoke, I always emphasise the appearance stuff, rather than health stuff. I mean, I've seen women younger than me who look a good decade older due to heavy smoking, and often have really bad teeth etc. too. I think teenagers (especially girls) will respond much better to anti-smoking messages about how it will affect their looks than their health!

BTW, congrats on quitting! I have a few friends who are struggling to quit the habit now.

princessp
March 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hooray I don't care why you stopped I'm just glad you did--congratulations!

selderon
March 29th, 2011, 08:52 PM
woo hoo! Congratulations on taking a stand for your hair. The rest of your body will thank you for it too. ;)

Vampire
March 30th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I wish i could stop smoking too...been thinking about it alot lately and also for vain reasons :rolleyes:, but not for the smell, i smoke outside and my hair smells kinda nice, but for the reason that i want my hair looking more "alive" (/gets a weird image of my hair feeding me nachos as i write on my computer....)
Have you noticed your hair looking better since you stopped smoking? Less limp? i quess? sorry, english not my first language

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 01:43 AM
You may get better hair growth as your circulation improves! :) The vast majority of people join the gym or start eating healthier to lose weight, not fitness or better health.

freckles
March 30th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I definitely used vain reasons as motivation to quit smoking, hair is REALLY IMPORTANT :lol:. However, I lapsed a couple of weeks ago and have been smoking-on-and-off since then and haven't QUITE given myself another nudge to properly definitely quit again :(

CONGRATULATIONS to you and GOOD LUCK!

leslissocool
March 30th, 2011, 02:49 AM
WAY TO GO!!! :cheer: I have about 2 1/2 years of not smoking after almost 6 years of it, and I have to say that's the best thing I have ever done! I quit to support my husband who smoked for almost 20 years and got to the point of smoking almost a pack a day. We are now smoke free, and in his health improved dramatically!!!

My husband now literally looks over 6 years younger since he quit smoking, his skin is amazing now!

bunzfan
March 30th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Well done you! its really hard i know i gave up 12 years ago when i found out i was pregnant. The smell in your hair is terrible i know if i go into a house of smokers i notice the smell straight away in my hair, your probably notice that your skin isn't as dry soon.

Keep it up the first 2 weeks is the hardest part.

Fufu
March 30th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Many congratulations :) I'm happy for you.

WaitingSoLong
March 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I quit smoking 11 years ago. I have to say, the addiction was not the hard part to kick, it was the "feel" of it all. I still get this crazy urge to light up once in awhile but I never do. Why? Well, one because I am basically allergic to cigarette smoke now (gives me an intense headache and makes me sneeze repeatedly), and mainly because I married my dream man 10years ago and he told me he would never have talked to me if I smoked (when we met). I won't let something like cigarettes come between us.

Also, I have seen someone die from smoking, and another suffer from emphysema for years. THAT is a disgusting disease. And he still smokes (he quit for a year once).

I can smell smoke on anyone, even if they smoke outside. It definitely clings to hair and clothes no matter what you do. My husband has come home from work reeking like smoke because he had lunch with a co-worker who smokes. The smell is repulsive to me now.

Still that craving comes and goes. Weird.

I would make a very deatiled list of all the reasons that motivate you to not smoke. Keep it on hand so when you start justifying "just one", you can look at it and there is no such thing as "just one".

Congrats and good luck!

RitaPG
March 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I didn't really quit, my body rejected the nicotine. Literally :rollin:
I was a smoker for 4 years, I think. I enjoyed smoking in the first years, the lightheaded feeling was nice too, but after a while the smell (on my mouth, clothes, hair and skin) started to make me sick and I couldn't tolerate that anymore, it made me sick all the time.
Been smoke free for more than two years :)

The funny thing is, before I was a smoker, I could tolerate the smell and the smoke around me, now, I can't stand too close from my smoker friends without getting a tummy ache.

RadiantNeedle
March 30th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I quit.. Actually, I'm not sure how long ago.. 8 years? I quit a lot of bad things at the same time, and it was HARRRRD. I went cold turkey.
I quit because of a few reasons, some of them vain.

Rebecca.1905
March 30th, 2011, 09:16 AM
CONGRATS AND KEEP IT UP!!!

I quit a year ago January using an e-cig. I LOVE it. Best thing I ever could've done. And yeah, I did it in part for the vanity. Well, smell, really. And it still amazes me how badly smokers smell. I'm embarrassed for myself, but you don't realize it when you're a smoker, so...

elbow chic
March 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Good for you! Hey, whatever it takes! :cheese:

mrsbob
March 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Wonderful news! Congratulations...I know it's very very hard. My husband has tried to quit so many times....

spidermom
March 30th, 2011, 09:51 AM
A friend quit because she was skinny and hoped she'd gain some weight if she quit (and she did - a little). Weird, though, for the longest time she'd carry a pack of cigarettes with her, take one out of the pack, twiddle around with it, then put it back. She said there was no danger of smoking one; they were too stale for that.

Scarlet_Heart
March 30th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Congratulations on deciding to quit! It's been 5 yrs for me since my last cigarette and I'll be the first to admit there are still times when I crave one (usually when I'm depressed or stressed out).

However, I will tell you it gets easier with time and like just about everyone else said, who cares WHY you quit! You quit and I'm proud of ya!

Holler if you ever need some support! :flower:

BrightEyes7
March 30th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Congrats!!! Vanity is as good a reason as any other... whatever it takes to motivate you to extend your life! :)

HintOfMint
March 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Vanity is probably the most effective motivation out there, I wouldn't knock it.

AnqeIicDemise
March 30th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I wish i could stop smoking too...been thinking about it alot lately and also for vain reasons :rolleyes:, but not for the smell, i smoke outside and my hair smells kinda nice, but for the reason that i want my hair looking more "alive" (/gets a weird image of my hair feeding me nachos as i write on my computer....)
Have you noticed your hair looking better since you stopped smoking? Less limp? i quess? sorry, english not my first language

I've noticed my hair having a bit more movement, yes, and it is also a bit softer, though I am not sure if I should attribute that to the lack of smoking...or the coconut oil I started putting on.

As I stated on the main post, I quit smoking for vain reasons and I figured I might as well GO ALL out and take better care o my hair as to compensate for the lack of puff-puff.

I've noticed a bigger, faster change on my skin, though. My face often flaked the corners of my nose and between my brows. A week after I stopped smoking I noticed these spots not being so itchy or flaky as before... and I've been washing my face with honey and olive oil for about six months. You should've seen me BEFORE the H&EVO treatment. I definitely was lizard face.

Another big change I noticed were my allergies. Right before I quit I had a massive allergic reaction to the blooming trees. It was bad enough that homeopathic remedies didn't help like they had years before and I begrudgingly went to a doctor. I was given sample meds right then and there. Apperantly my sinuses looked like wet cotton. -shrug-

I am breathing easier and are not as phlegmy as before.

Vanity is probably the most effective motivation out there, I wouldn't knock it.

I just feel so shallow, though.. :poot:

But, I suppose I should realize that good health is simply a consequence of taking care of my hair and skin.