PDA

View Full Version : Braid Book Recommendation?

CarpeDM
March 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I've been searching for a good braid and updo book on the market. Since I am a visual learner I am looking for a book that has some good step by step illustrations that are relatively easy to follow and put into practice. I would love to hear from anyone who could recommend a good book to purchase, thanks in advance!

RachieBaby
March 30th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Bumping this thread! I would like to find some good books too, as i always seem to stick with the same updos! :)

Sagi1982
March 30th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I like Karen Ribbles books - you can order them on her website (braidedimage.com).
They're not that fancy, but clearly instructed and with detailed drawings. And not expensive, I might add. ;)

Somme other good books are the braiding books written by Andrea Jefferies and Vickie Terner, but some people didn't like their explains and the drawings are not that clear as Karen Ribbles are.

Hope, that was helpful...

pepperminttea
March 30th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I don't know any good braid books, but youtube is great for visual learners. :) Is there any particular braid you're trying to master?

CarpeDM
March 30th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I don't know any good braid books, but youtube is great for visual learners. :) Is there any particular braid you're trying to master?

I'm kind of looking for a catch all. I'm more of a book person and I would like to have all the styles at my fingertips in one book. I can't always find good styles on youtube very quickly. A lot of the time I have to sift through people talking too much, advertisements, lack of camera angle at the back of the head where are all the action happens, or the title might say "french braid" but then it might be someone talking about how they really want to learn how to do a french braid :rolleyes: Just looking for a book that explains how to do your basic braids, french, fishtail, dutch, rope, (but with step by step illustrations that are simple to follow) and how to do special and/or different updos for adults would be sooo helpful....

Amelia
March 30th, 2011, 08:12 AM
*puts sleeves up*

Ok:)

About an year and a half ago, when I decided to let my hair grow, i found out very soon that with hair not really at APL I couldn't do many of the beautiful up-dos I saw all over the internet. So, logically, i turned to braiding.

To be totaly honest with you, I regret buying the book people refer to as the 'classic' to learn to braid etc. It's Hair: a book of Braiding ans styles. Before I purchase the book I knew how to French braid and to do a normal braid and that was it. After i purchase the book I knew the same.

The book doesn't cost a fortune ( i think I paid 13 euros for it) but i was a bit upset. I found the drawings and explanation awful, especially the drawings.

If you want my sincere oppinion, search youtube. I'm serious. I turned into a braiding wizard because of youtubers that were amazing, not to mention that you get to see the action, and (something the book does not teach you) to do the hairstyles in your own head. Because of the book I was convinced that a French rope braid was impossible. I followed the instrutions and tried one in another person and it never worked. Then, in youtube I saw someone do it on their own head, and voilá! I was french roping my own hair!

I'm not saying that books don't help, maybe they do, but youtube is free and you get to see what the person in doing. ;)

TheLuckyLurker
March 30th, 2011, 04:35 PM
*puts sleeves up*

Ok:)

About an year and a half ago, when I decided to let my hair grow, i found out very soon that with hair not really at APL I couldn't do many of the beautiful up-dos I saw all over the internet. So, logically, i turned to braiding.

To be totaly honest with you, I regret buying the book people refer to as the 'classic' to learn to braid etc. It's Hair: a book of Braiding ans styles. Before I purchase the book I knew how to French braid and to do a normal braid and that was it. After i purchase the book I knew the same.

The book doesn't cost a fortune ( i think I paid 13 euros for it) but i was a bit upset. I found the drawings and explanation awful, especially the drawings.

If you want my sincere oppinion, search youtube. I'm serious. I turned into a braiding wizard because of youtubers that were amazing, not to mention that you get to see the action, and (something the book does not teach you) to do the hairstyles in your own head. Because of the book I was convinced that a French rope braid was impossible. I followed the instrutions and tried one in another person and it never worked. Then, in youtube I saw someone do it on their own head, and voilá! I was french roping my own hair!

I'm not saying that books don't help, maybe they do, but youtube is free and you get to see what the person in doing. ;)

Huh. I was about to recommend this very book. I think it probably depends on how you learn. I didn't have any problems learning with the book, but with videos? Forget it. I think it's because in my case I could study the pictures and read the instructions at my own pace as many times as I needed to; with videos I have to play them over and over trying to see just that one part that I didn't get and it's so stressful that I just throw my hands up and say to heck with it, even though I'm a visual learner and do best when I can actually see how someone does something.

So I guess that was a long-winded way of saying do what works best for you. If you're not sure, you could try youtube first, and then buy a book if that's not to your liking.

And I need to learn shorter ways of making my point ;).

CarpeDM
March 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Huh. I was about to recommend this very book. I think it probably depends on how you learn. I didn't have any problems learning with the book, but with videos? Forget it. I think it's because in my case I could study the pictures and read the instructions at my own pace as many times as I needed to; with videos I have to play them over and over trying to see just that one part that I didn't get and it's so stressful that I just throw my hands up and say to heck with it, even though I'm a visual learner and do best when I can actually see how someone does something.

So I guess that was a long-winded way of saying do what works best for you. If you're not sure, you could try youtube first, and then buy a book if that's not to your liking.

And I need to learn shorter ways of making my point ;).

I also have that problem with some videos going to fast and getting lost in the process...

CarpeDM
April 2nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
I was sort of looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1570540187/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2

does anyone have it?

ladyveg
April 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
That is one I have looked at. I believe it's made by the same people who make the Klutz books. If you find it at a better price than the ridiculous price on Amazon, please let us know where!

patienceneeded
April 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Braids-Step-Step-Braiding/dp/0517886170/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301767366&sr=1-2

I bought this book when I was 12...so a LONG time ago. It's not very fancy, but the directions and illustrations are clear and simple. Easy to follow. I really liked this book (in fact, I still have it) and it helped me master all the three-strand braiding styles (French, Dutch, English, Lace) and I got some cute styles from it. It's a great starter-braid book. I highly recommend it.