PDA

View Full Version : S&D Dilemma and a Lesson about Mechanical Damage

curlytm
March 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM
So throughout growing out my damaged hair, I have noticed several things that are unendingly helpful in gaining length:

1) Moisture moisture moisture. For me, this means coney products for now. The damaged hair is more tangly and in need of slip to prevent more breakage. CO'ing with the occasional clarifying treatment is my best weapon (defense?). Also oiling with coconut oil, shea cream, or Nightblooming's Panacea or Triple Moon Anointing Oil.
2) Protective updos OFTEN. Babying my hair has been a great help.
3) S&D. Good sharp hair-exclusive scissors.

But here's the thing about S&D for me:
For most of my hair, I have to search long and hard to find a single split or white dot. I hardly have any at all EXCEPT in the face-framing region from ear to ear about an inch or so back. That whole area is split city. White dot nation.

Here's what I think had happened. If I take these hairs and pull them back as if I were going into an updo, those exact hairs would be the ones that would be rubbed by an elastic. I rarely use them anymore, but I had used them A LOT in the past. I thought that because there was no metal, they were "safe."

So what's the lesson? Beware of frequent elastic use (even the hair-friendly-ish cloth covered ones).

Vary the updos to prevent frequent mechanical damage to the hair.

What's the solution? Well, a split is unfixable. A white dot is a future split. They need to go, no matter what. I don't want to lose even MORE length due to the fraying ends of my split-up hair. So snippity snip snip and they're off. Result? Stupid face framing bang-layer things. They're too long for bangs. They're not exactly "layers" in the classical sense.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have patches of hair that require more S&D than other areas?

kitten1986
March 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I dont S&D religiously but I also find that my face framing layers get more splits and damage than the rest of my hair, however in my case I think that its more related to how the hair is cut to make it sit right (with a razor) and the fact that I straighten it more often than the rest of my hair (naughty I know but I like it to look nice)
As far as I am concerned though I am not trying to grow that section of my hair long so I dont mind if if accrues some damage along the way for the sake of looking nice when I style it ;)
I vary my hairstyle quite a lot so it is not apparent to me yet if my hair styles are causing damage, my hair is between apl and bsl so its early days, I try to use my hair sticks and pencil buns and vary between high and low pony tails and twists with claw clips for uni and most days.

I absolutely suck at braiding hahahaha I keep telling myself that when my hair gets longer and my layers are cut out then it will be easier to braid.

lapushka
March 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM
My finest hairs are in both my side parts, exactly where face-framing layers go, and those areas are riddled with more white dots than the rest of my hair. I always figured it was because those areas are even more delicate (they dry quickly, then become fly-away) than the rest of my F hair is, which makes them more prone to damage. My side parts were heavily layered, almost as good as thinned out, two years ago and I think about half a years' worth of growth had to be cut from those parts in white-dot damage.

Lostsoule77
March 29th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I get this both in my hair that's around my face and in my nape area for some random reason. I just do a more in depth s & d when these areas get really tangly (as opposed to my cut them when I see them method.) I tend to prefer a u cut to deal with this.

UltraBella
March 29th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I don't S&D. I do wear my hair in a bun daily, a bun I start with a ponytail but I don't have any breakage. I know it can be a big issue for some people and I am glad it isn't for me, I can't get my my bun to stay all day otherwise. I have been wearing the same bun for 7 years, so I think I am safe :)

alxardnax
March 29th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi,

I bought Tweezerman hair shears. Do you think those are good enough because I know that dull scissors can create more damage than good. I am embarrased to admit that once I noticed several splits ends I all I had on hand was a regular pair of scissors and when I tried to snip a strand of hair it completely frayed and split the end! Lesson learned.

ArienEllariel
March 29th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I have Tweezerman hair scissors and they work just fine for me. I'd even recommend them. :)

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 04:02 AM
For most of my hair, I have to search long and hard to find a single split or white dot. I hardly have any at all EXCEPT in the face-framing region from ear to ear about an inch or so back. That whole area is split city. White dot nation.

Here's what I think had happened. If I take these hairs and pull them back as if I were going into an updo, those exact hairs would be the ones that would be rubbed by an elastic. I rarely use them anymore, but I had used them A LOT in the past. I thought that because there was no metal, they were "safe."

So what's the lesson? Beware of frequent elastic use (even the hair-friendly-ish cloth covered ones).

Vary the updos to prevent frequent mechanical damage to the hair.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have patches of hair that require more S&D than other areas?

I've wrecked my hair with mechanical damage, there are broken hairs each side of my face and at the back where a pony would sit. I have more breaks at one side than the other through twirling my ponytail (pulling it slightly to one side IYSWIM). :( I have now switched from no snag bands to a Claire's beak clip - the little 'teeth' hold firm without hair needing to be pulled tight!- or occasionally terry bands.

WaitingSoLong
March 30th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I have much more damage in the same place, and I don't use heat on my hair. I agree with the OP's assessment of the cause.

Those locks are shorter on me than the rest of my hair depite the fact they all started at the same length. My "framing layer" hair is only about BSL (FTE style). I have never trimmed just that. I only trim from the length but I do S&D however it makes me feel very discouraged when I am S&D that part!

MissEarlGrey
March 30th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I find that most of my damage is the underside of my hair; because I never wore it up for years, it's got loads of back rub damage.

curlytm
March 30th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one. it seems that the other kinds of damage (bleach/chemical damage, things that are drying) are easier to avoid when you adopt an LHC friendly hair care routine, but mechanical damage was a silent killer.

I don't S&D. I do wear my hair in a bun daily, a bun I start with a ponytail but I don't have any breakage. I know it can be a big issue for some people and I am glad it isn't for me, I can't get my my bun to stay all day otherwise. I have been wearing the same bun for 7 years, so I think I am safe :)

Lucky, lucky!! I hope that once I grow out my relatively damaged hair, that the new growth will be more resilient and able to stand the ponies.

I am embarrased to admit that once I noticed several splits ends I all I had on hand was a regular pair of scissors and when I tried to snip a strand of hair it completely frayed and split the end! Lesson learned.

Oh, I totally did this. KITCHEN SHEARS. Despite the fact that every thing I ever heard about cutting splits was to use sharp sharp hair scissors. Now, I keep my hair scissors in an eyeglasses case in my purse, so they're always with me. :)

muppetcrayz
March 30th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the warning there. My hair is pretty good at holding up to crazy stuff though. I hope it is, anyways.

Yozhik
March 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I always notice drier hair with more split ends on my canopy. I guess that's where all of the damage is from being out in the sun for really long hours in the summer. :( That, and the area right next to my neck where my hair seems to be much finer than on the rest of my head.

I'm waiting for it to grow out, because I don't want to have a shorter layer.

Intotouch
March 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
The front of my hair has the most breaks but i always thought that it was because it's also the curliest. (The lower layers are only wavy and the section by my neck is dead straight. Weird but true). However the top layers also get the most sun and wind damage so maybe this is a factor?

For ponytails someone else on this forum suggested cutting pantyhose/tights across to make a ring. She said that this was the kindest thing to use to tie up hair. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

alxardnax
March 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have Tweezerman hair scissors and they work just fine for me. I'd even recommend them. :)

Thanks!

Oh, I totally did this. KITCHEN SHEARS. Despite the fact that every thing I ever heard about cutting splits was to use sharp sharp hair scissors. Now, I keep my hair scissors in an eyeglasses case in my purse, so they're always with me. :)

Good idea! I will have to try that because I always seem to notice split ends when I am out and with no scissors around.