PDA

View Full Version : Your Hair-drying Method

ElvenArchess
March 29th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Through the last year I myself have changed methods many times, from towel drying to keeping it loosely in a hairclip to rocker-style head-banging. I now use a combination of all three.

What works for you/What do you do to dry your hair?

Misti
March 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
My method is to wrap my hair in a towel while I get dressed, then to gently comb out my hair and put it up into my "do" for the day. When I get home from work, I sometimes let it down to finish drying, but I have been known to wash it again before it gets dry from the last time. (I don't wear my hair down much, and in cold or humid weather, that means it never gets quite dry.)

motormuffin
March 29th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I put it up in a towel after the shower. Then I either wet bun it or blow dry it. Sometimes I let it air dry down but its usually if I'm sitting on the couch, I'll throw it over the back and let it hang.

bella77
March 29th, 2011, 02:14 PM
sometimes I put it up still damp, but most times I bathe at night so it dries while sleeping and then it goes up in a bun in the morning. Today, however, I had some spare time while the baby slept and I was able to take a shower and then put foam curlers in for some slight body.

Amraann
March 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I towel dry and then let it air dry.

jackiesjottings
March 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I put mine in a towel for about 20 minutes after washing so I don't end up sitting in a puddle of water. Then let it air dry- takes 2-3 hours.

Lollipop
March 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I usually wring out the water and put it in a cinnabun immediately after washing. When I wear it down, I lay a towel over my pillow and spread my hair over the pillow. I am to lazy to do anything else :p

RedheadMistress
March 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
- I wrap my hair and then let it loose once it's dry, so it's much straighter .

muppetcrayz
March 29th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I squeeze it out with a towel, comb it and braid it, then leave it until usually the next morning (since I take showers at night).

RitaCeleste
March 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I just squeeze it with a towel, finger comb my leave-in conditioner in, brush it into place and let it air dry.

jojo
March 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM
towel over shoulder, no patting or rubbing just drip dry for me.

skyblue
March 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I put in a towel til I'm dressed then let it out, if I keep a towel on to long my hair gets frizzy, I'll comb the top of my head cause that dries like...right now, the rest I leave hang till dry or put it in a bun if I have to go to work then take it out after I get home to dry the rest of the way

xoxophelia
March 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I usually wrap it in a towel for a little bit and then let it just do its own thing. But sometimes I put it in little buns for waves, french braids, or large rollers.

MissManda
March 29th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I never liked putting my hair in a towel for some reason. I feel really weird about having my hair and a towel on my head and I think it is somewhat counterproductive to getting my hair dry.

When I get out of the shower, I gently squeeze (no wringing!) the excess water out of my hair. I'll usually divide my length into quarters and squeeze each one, then put my hair in halves, squeeze some more, and I finally put it all in one piece to get out the last of the drippies. It's much faster and less annoying than a towel, IMO.

I then let my hair air-dry until it is about 50-75% dry, at which point I'll start detangling using my fingers or my afro pick. Gentle combing helps my hair dry more quickly, because it will take forever if I let it dry with no touching.

DavidN
March 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I gently dab most of the water out of my hair with a towel, then allow my hair to dry naturally.(I do add a small amount of leave in conditioner) My hair is delicate and fine, so I avoid any kind of heat.

Scarlet_Heart
March 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I use an old tshirt to squeeze the water out (I shower at night). Then air dry OR let it dry to damp and then put two herringbone braids in for pretty curls the next day.

Signe
March 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have a hooded dressing-gown so i usually just throw that on after a shower and pile my hair into the hood til it's not sopping wet...then just let it do whatever. i always detangle before i shower, so it usually dries quite nicely this way. :)

Slinks
March 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I do what most here do :-) squeeze dry, put it up in a towel until I dress, let it down, finger in some leave in condish, wide tooth comb and let it air dry .. if I'm going out, I put it up in a half do while still a little damp .. if I really want it dry I sit in front of a fan and finger it dry :-)

telegraph64
March 29th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I gently squeeze out water, finger comb, blot very gently with a towel and throw said towel over my back to avoid being brushed by icy cold hair. I let it air dry itself from there.

luxepiggy
March 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Babyliss (^(oo)^)v

RecklessCharlie
March 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Windmill headbanging :) Just to get all the excess water out. The bathroom usually looks like its been in a rainstorm after this process.
Then I just give it a squeeze if need be and let it air dry from there. It generally takes a good 5 hours before its totally dry. If I put it up it won't be dry until the next day.

MoonlightShadow
March 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
i usually air dry my hair. in rare cases do i use the hair dryer. i just don't like sitting under the hair dryer :(
i kinda towel dry my hair a bit after washing it, then i leave it to air dry:) i towel dry it enough so it doesn't drip

Angeletti
March 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I hate towels so what I usually will do is use one of DH's T-shirts to absorb the excess water, then I spray on a leave in conditioner and detangle with a comb and I'm good to go.

Roscata
March 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Wrapping my hair in a microfiber towel (http://www.curlmart.com/store/aquis-mimis-diva-dryer-hair-towel.html) for 10 minutes, then taking the towel off and finger combing, followed by ignoring it for the next hour is what works best for me.
It takes my hair about 1 hour to fully air dry, that's half the amount of time my hair needed when I used a regular towel. I absolutely LOVE my microfiber towel! :D

Fingolphin
March 29th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I pat it dry really well and then comb it lightly with a Body Shop wooden detangling comb so that it dries in a halfway decent shape and then let it air dry.

Lielananna
March 29th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I wrap a towel around the length while its lying down my back and then wrap the towel around my head like a crown while I dry off and then usually just leave the towel on for about 5 minutes and then let it dry while I go about my day. I actually get annoyed with my drying method because my hair takes so long to dry and I don't want to put it up and make it take longer, I leave it down most of the day and it ends up really tangled by the end of the day and combing it out is a test of patience.

Mesmerise
March 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Well I use a towel for practicality! I wrap my hair in a towel after getting out of the shower, and leave it on until I'm dressed. Otherwise, I'd have wet hair hanging down my neck when I tried to put my clothes on!

I've always wondered how those who DON'T towel their long hair deal with the old wet hair down the neck problem?? It's okay if you've got short hair, because you can just sort of remove the moisture and go, but with long hair... well...

noel11
March 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Ha ha. I'm so glad to read this. I was worried about my hair drying method, but it seems mine is just about the same as everyone else:

Wrap my hair in a towel while I get dressed
Take it out
lightly brush through
pull it into a pony tail/bun/braid/etc. for the rest of the day and before I go to bed that night I take it down.

spigette
March 29th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I squeeze and towel mine dry, leave it up in a towel while I dress, then spray in my homemade leave-in conditioner, comb, and let dry. I try to leave it dry without putting it up if I can since I like the way it dries in waves on its own. Often, though, I get annoyed with it or it's in my way so I tie it in a quick knot with no pins on top of my head until I feel able to let it down again. Sometimes this results in nice bun-waves. Sometimes it just dries weird.

On rare occasions, I do blow dry - maybe a few times a year. This makes it a lot straighter, but I actually like my waves, and hate heat-damage, so I try not to do this a lot.

krissykins
March 29th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I squeeze out the excess water with a 100% pure cotton T-shirt, then let it hair dry.

noel11
March 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
EDIT: But I do tend to blow dry mine every so often when I want to leave it down for the day. I know it's bad, but some times I just cant resist the extra body it gives and the compliments I get from it. Oh, the glares from the bleach blond, fried out, hours to get any body girls is just priceless, but I do normally just pull it back.

MaryRose
March 29th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I wrap my hair in a towel for about 10 minutes then let it down. I put on leave-in conditioner and comb with fingers and let it air dry. I take showers at night so I can let it hang messy while it drys.

Kayla Nyx
March 29th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Once I'm finished with my shower, I always squeeze as much water out of my hair as possible, dry myself off quickly and get dressed. I flip my hair over my head while bending over and wrap my hair up in the towel into this turban thingy and let the towel stay for about 5 minutes. I take the towel off, shake my hair out, apply leave in conditioner and comb it out. I let it air dry the rest of the way. :)

RetroKitten
March 30th, 2011, 12:55 AM
First I gently squeeze out some of the water, then I put it in a towel turban. I let it dry like that for 15 minutes and then start to detangle with a wooden comb. When it notice that the hair is not wet anymore but still a bit moist I comb it with the TT.
It takes about 2 hours for my hair to dry, maybe I should try microfibre towels, too!
Back when I was still bleaching my hair to death, my hair was dry when I started to dress :rolleyes:....

freckles
March 30th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I gently squeeze out water from the length, first with my hands, then with a t-shirt. That gets it to a not-dripping stage. I'll wrap it up in another t-shirt and leave it for a bit, and then I'll let it down and comb through and stuff. If I'm staying in, I'll leave it down with occasional combing until it's dry. If I'm going out, I damp bun or braid.

dollface
March 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
comb, leave-in product, comb again and then resist the urge to mess with it as it drys ^^" and if i'm in a rush i wet bun.

slythwolf
March 30th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I try to only wash when I have a bunch of time to sit around letting it air-dry. In the summer this rule gets relaxed as it is cooling to walk around with a wet updo.

FlowerTwin
March 31st, 2011, 03:47 AM
I just squeeze out the extra water after getting out of the shower and then let it air dry. Usually I don't apply any product and combing (detangling) is done just before washing my hair. It takes about 2 hours for my hair to dry. I wash it when I know it will have time to air dry.

GALISH
April 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Once I finished washing my hair, I towel dry for 15 min. and finger comb a bit. Then let it dry loose and comb it when it's still a little wet. It takes my hair about 5 hours to get totally dry.
Don't ever go outdoors with wet hair, especially when it's windy. It will dry full of tangles and frizzy (at least mine does).

monsterna
April 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM
After the shower, I squeeze out as much water as I can. Then I blot gently with the towel. Think a little, gentle scalp massage with fingers, definitely not moving the towel voraciously all over my head as I would in my pre-LHC days :). Then I stick it in the towel turban for about 5 minutes or a bit more while I do post-shower thingies. I then comb it out, part it how I want, possibly place barrettes over my bangs to make them not curl as much as they dry, and just sit and let it all dry.

I do this at night to avoid needing a hair dryer. If my bangs look especially crappy in the morning (I'm growing them out and they are at the awkward curling back around my ears stage), then I will rewet them and blow dry them straighter on a warm or cool setting.

delsh
April 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I guess I'm pretty typical - I squeeze my hair dry in the shower, then squeeze with a towel. Throw it up in a towel turban for 10-15 minutes and let it down. If I want more waves I plop, if I just want some body I comb through with a wide-toothed comb. I absolutely have to part my bangs on the side when my hair is wet, otherwise they will never stay!! But after that I just let it air dry =)

Seharia
April 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I put a t-shirt in between a towel turban and my hair (t-shirt over hair then towel turban on top of that) so the towel doesn't touch my hair and frizz it up but it still absorbs the water cause on my hair a t-shirt alone doesn't absorb anything at all. Then I braid it or just leave it down to go to sleep as I shower at night.

CrisDee
April 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'm a little more unorthodox with my drying method. I put mine in a microfiber towel initially, slather up with body lotion, get pj's on, then remove the towel. Detangle with my beloved Body Shop wood quill brush, then I use the hair wrapping method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51781). When I remove the scarf in the morning, my hair looks like it's been blown dry and styled - except my bangs, which need some remediation using the blowdryer. I figure they're only a couple inches long, who cares if they get a little damaged.

I've also done the hair wrapping thing during the day - it takes about 5 hours for it to air-dry, about half an hour under the bonnet dryer on warm if I'm in a hurry.

ladyveg
April 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I squeeze the water out of the length in the tub, then blot dry with a towel. By this time the hair on the top of my head and the front is dry. I use a pick to "comb" it out damp and then let it dry the rest of the way. That only takes about an hour, tops. I go out with damp hair all the time.

Sundial
April 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I squeeze out excess water before wrapping my hair in a towel while I do post shower stuff. When I am done, I just remove the towel and let my hair air dry.

Kalypso
April 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Turbie twist for 10-15 minutes, head bang then finger comb. When almost dry I add a little coconut oil on the ends for my leave-in conditioner.

Rocket22
April 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Well normally I would squeeze out the water wrap in towel and blow dry on cool setting and it would dry pretty straight. (not that I want that) but I just air dried today with out combing it out or anything and I love the curl it's left behind. I might have to work on this method :)

spidermom
April 9th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Lately, most often I wash it before bed and then drop it into the space between the top of my pillow and the pillow I wedge between mattress and bedframe (so that my hair doesn't hang over the edge of the bed). I get gorgeous spiral curls that way.

My hair is never completely dry in the morning, though. It takes another 2-4 hours of hanging loose to dry completely.

anniebelle
April 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I mostly use a turbie twist. :)

Nae
April 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I usually just gently squeeze out the water with a towel. Then wet/damp bun. I don't think my hair is down for more then 10-15 minutes out of the shower before it bugs me and I have thown it up into some sort of updo. At night I take it down and it is still quite damp. It usually take at least an hour or two to finish drying. Sometimes it isn't completely dry before it goes into my sleep braid.

LittleOrca
April 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Remove excess water with mermaid magic, allow the air pixies to dry it for me, and on the rare days that it is cold, I will let a dragon blow hot air into my hair (just around the scalp!) so that I do not get sick.

summerjade
April 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I gentlly squeeze as much of the water out of my hair with my hands before getting out of the shower. Then I wrap a towel around my hair and gently squeeze down the length of my hair with the towel getting as much water out as possible that way. Then I put just a drop or two of oil ( either jojoba oil or coconut oil) in the palm of my hand and rub my palms together and then run that through the ends of my hair. Then I take my wide tooth comb and start underneath and comb my hair out. I then will flip my head over and scrunch it a little and flip my head back up and finger comb it into place and let it dry. It takes about 3 or 4 hrs for it to dry.

Carrie Ingalls
April 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I usually just let my hair hang straight down, let in drip in the bathroom while I get dressed and then I might gently squeeze the last two feet so it is not dripping as actively. (note that I use a leave in conditioner that I comb through my hair in the shower before stepping out so it is usually already been dripping for a good 5min). If it is night I will usually finish my bedtime routine (teeth brushing etc) and then I often put my hair up pretty wet-to-damp (note also that when I do this I have to take my pillow and dry it thoroughly the next day so that it does not mold...once was enough. 0_o ) If it is during the day and I want it to dry more (or completely) before I do anything else with it I take a regular kitchen apron with a pocket fold it in half (so that the loop that would go around your neck hangs down close to your body) and tie it on backwards...so the pocket is on the outside covering the seat of your pants. Then I just pick up my length and gently put it in the pocket and go about my day (I typically only rock this look around the house). I also need to be careful because it can sometimes make it look like you sat in a puddle...but a folded towel worn bustle style can solve that (but it doesn't always want to stay in place). Oh, and I comb it periodically while drying with a wide tooth comb so that it will be straighter.

Yeah, so that is how I dry my hair part way at least. I really like damp bunning so I only make sure it really dries when I am in and out of water a lot (summers at lakes for example, or swimming frequently). Oh, and the apron was my mom's sugestion when I told her I thought maybe I should sew a pouch into a towel so my hair could dry without dragging on the floor if I leaned over to pick something up. Moms are geinus!

elbow chic
April 9th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Remove excess water with mermaid magic, allow the air pixies to dry it for me, and on the rare days that it is cold, I will let a dragon blow hot air into my hair (just around the scalp!) so that I do not get sick.

Well, that sounds nice! :cool:

Ah, I squeeze out a good bit of water and excess conditioner in the shower, and then get a towel and squeeze again.

It's still very wet, so then I put it in braids for the night and go to sleep.

It's still damp in the morning when I unbraid and brush it out. Then it gets bunned or rebraided and generally it's MOSTLY dry by mid-afternoon. :p

If I were afraid of going out with damp hair, I'd have starved by now.

WaterMusic
April 10th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I use my hands to squeeze the excess water out before I step out of the shower. Then I pat it dry with a towel, and into the turbie it goes! I leave it there until I remember to take the towel out, and at this point it's usually slightly damp. A little bit of coconut oil, finger combing, and then I let it air dry. I usually shower at night, but I try to do it a few hours before bed so it's mostly dry before I sleep.

It's usually in a high bun for bed, but sometimes I leave it loose or braid it.

leoninnu
April 10th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Towel turban for 10 minutes maximum and after that oiling when it's still moist. After that I just let it air dry and it's usually dry in about an hour or 2, depending on the weather. At winter when the air is dry it takes a lot less time and longer at summer with highly moist air. I really don't like being wet so needless to say I prefer winter :)

I blowfry only if I'm in a hurry. At those times I use some sort of heat protection. I don't remember the brand but the bottle is hot pink if that says anything to anyone.

Sandrawoah
April 10th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I wrap my hair in the towel until it's about 40% dry and let it air dry.

Siiri
April 10th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I press most of the water out with my hands in the shower, then dab my hair with a towel and put it up in a towel turban. After about 5-10 minutes I take off the towel a put some leave-in conditioner in and comb it. I let it air dry. I takes about 3 to 5 hours for it to dry. My hair dries faster when I have CO-washed it, slower when I have only washed it with water.