PDA

View Full Version : I cut my bangs and I don't like it ! :(

brok3nwings
June 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Ok..so i did cut my bangs.
I was thinking about it for a few days because i was having a hard time combing my front because i had bleached parts and damage...it was getting pretty blonde because of the sun and i though that i could do some bangs again and then let it grow. The hairdresser said that for growing the side ones are better..but i said..well..i had one of those and so i want to try the straight one as i wont have them again (i dont like to see myself with bangs). And i was a little bored about my hair so...
I knew that cuting my bangs would put me with virgin hair around my face that i like, my natural colour for me is better then the dyed part...
The thing is
I dont think that straight bangs go well with my long face
I have a HUGE THING lol (i dont know the name of it) that really doesnt let me have straight bangs for all day...when its sunny well, with my face sweating the bangs stay really terrible ..i dont know
i just wanted you to tell me advices for those who have bangs, and opinions...
and well..you can laugh a bit of my NATURAL THING eheh

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/brok3nwings/b-1.jpg

natural "thing"

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/brok3nwings/DSC02307.jpg

a good picture of my new bangs..as i am too ashamed of the others :( :(
Just for you to know, it took me 5 months to get my bangs to grow into a lengh that didnt bother me anymore, what took me to cut was the damage..damn the damage!

purplebubba
June 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear that you don't like them.

I think if when you do get them growing if you split them and let them blend into the sides it will look good. Not a side swept but rather a parted style.

You kinda look like Uma Thurman from Kill Bill.
ETA: So perhaps looking for pictures of her will help to find some of her other styles. Maybe she had some other bangs?

Islandgrrl
June 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Well, first, I don't think the new bangs look bad at all. And if you cut off the damage, at least you can grow your bangs out from here with good health.

My daughter has bangs, but the stylist who cuts her hair (and does a fantastic job, by the way) softens them by making them a little "ragged" looking - she snips upward into the hair to take away some of the heaviness. It really goes a long way toward making her bangs not look severe. Might you try that?

Your eyes, by the way are the most fantastic color!

CurlyNinja
June 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I agree with Islandgrrl! I've never had true bangs, so I don't have much advice, but I think that you look really good with your new bangs, even if you're not crazy about it! It makes you look very modern, I like it.

heidihug
June 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Pretty! Of course, I'm partial to bangs or fringe. And, it may seem like it takes a long time to grow them out, but the nice thing about bangs is that you can see the progress month to month. It will only be a couple of months and you will be able to side-sweep them really easily! I'm growing out bangs into a side-swept fringe right now, and it's fun to watch the progress.

brok3nwings
June 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
purplebubba thank you for your suggestion i think i might consider it. I dont agree with the thing about Uma because well, she has really straight hair with no volume at all, and i have wavy hair with a lot of volume..i usually put lots of oils and conditioner to let it go down otherwise its crazy (as well as my bangs) but thank you, i think that could be compliment :)

Islandgrrl the big problem is my "thing" ..could anyway tell me the expression in english? Its terrible...i cant toutch my bangs that it all fell apart.. anyway, i understand what you are saying about what the stylist does, and im gonna do it myself! I think it needs to take some of the heavyness. Thank you for the comment about my eyes..they only stay this colour with direct light so they are not that great... :)

Curlyninja I like bangs (in other people)... most of my friends have bangs, and it looks great on them..but i dont like it on myself and it is really hard to me to manage them..its terrible! I´ve always been told "you cant have bangs because you have a big "thing" in front "

heidihug well, i know what it is to grow them out..i think that the first two months are the terrible ones... and thank you :)

Eireann
June 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
You look lovely! Also, if it's any consolation, I find when my hair is first cut, it "freaks out" a little--doesn't know quite how to lie. After a couple of days, it chills out and looks better. I like the bangs, and they are quite stylish.

Chromis
June 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm guessing the "thing" is your part perhaps? It's a line where hair lies to each side smoothly, like a dividing line. Another guess would be a cowlick, where the hair goes out in all directions from the middle of different points on the scalp.

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Where I come from, we would call your "thing" a "cowlick." haha

I think your bangs are cute as can be. I can't wear that style because I have a big fat face. I think they work with a long face.

Ohio Sky
June 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I like your bangs. I do think that you would look better with wispier bangs, so the cutting idea Isladgrrl mentioned could work for you.

Is it a calick you have? Where your hair only wants to go one way, and NOT the way you want it to go? I have on in the front too and it was one of the reasons I always hated bangs on myself, but if I part the hair the way it wants to go, it looks good. I end up with a far side part instead of in the middle but it looks good.

Islandgrrl
June 13th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Islandgrrl the big problem is my "thing" ..could anyway tell me the expression in english? Its terrible...i cant toutch my bangs that it all fell apart.. anyway, i understand what you are saying about what the stylist does, and im gonna do it myself! I think it needs to take some of the heavyness. Thank you for the comment about my eyes..they only stay this colour with direct light so they are not that great... :)

Okay I understand now. I didn't quite figure out what your "thing" was right away. It's a cowlick (or at least that's what we call it here). A place where your hair doesn't grow in the same direction as the rest of your hair and wants to stick out all over the place.

I have it, too. Right in front so that when I wear bangs (which I don't right now) there's a little place where it poufs up a bit, or it wants to part so my bangs don't lay down flat.

I never really had a lot of success taming that particular problem, so I finally gave in and just let it grow out.

I'm sorry I didn't understand!

squiggyflop
June 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
i think they will look better when you can sweep them to the side.. maybe 2 months from now.. i think the only problem is that they are too thick and blunt.. dont worry it will grow before you know it.. wispy bangs would look better but whats done is done

jojo
June 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I like them, they show your lovely eyes off, to soften bangs/fringes cut snips like this " I I I I" along the fringe, it wont make it shorter, but will make it less blunt, I used to do this!

Sana
June 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
You kinda look like Uma Thurman from Kill Bill.

Exactly what I thought even before I read purplebubba's post:)

Paniscus
June 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I like them! I do think they bring out your eyes. The thing with bangs, is that you can do different things with them. If you part your hair on the side, you can already create a sort of side-swept appearance if you want.

If you really, really don't like them (just remember, we are our worst critics unfortunately), bangs seem to grow quickly. I guess because they are right in our eyes! Pulling them back with cute clips or headbands can create new looks as well. Personally, I think they look cute on you. And I bet when you do updos or ponytails, they'll be really cute and add that little extra oompf to the style (and your eyes)!

I agree about snipping up into the bottom if you want to soften the look. I don't think you necessarly need it, but it does seem to give bangs that "professional" look. Just be careful and don't cut too much or too short!

Curlsgirl
June 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Oh I think they are really pretty! I wouldn't do a thing with them! Also as they grow out you can do a lot with them like pinning them back, headbands etc. That's what I am doing. I'm nose tip length.

Morag
June 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Brok3nwings, your bangs look great to me, and they really drawn attention to your beautiful eyes. That's a very pretty style on you. I can see understand how it might be difficult to keep them in place, though.

My good friend back in high school had a similar cowlick, right at the front hairline. It made a nice up-sweep off her forehead when her hair was all long and makes a wonderful wave at the front of her updos now that she's being a lawyer every day. Her face was rather round and didn't look that good with bangs even when they were behaving, so it wasn't so much of a problem for her, although it did annoy her.

I have to say that I think you also look completely adorable in that picture with your "huge" cowlick "thing". Am I the only one here who thinks that photo is about the cutest thing going?

Toadstool
June 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Brok3nwings

I have to say that I think you also look completely adorable in that picture with your "huge" cowlick "thing". Am I the only one here who thinks that photo is about the cutest thing going?
No you're not the only one. I think she looks gorgeous!
Brok3nwings, I have two cowlicks in the front and I can never have bangs for that reason but from an outsider's point of view you look beautiful.

rapunzhell13
June 14th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Honestly I think you look *really* cute with those bangs and no, I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. :)

Sceleste
June 14th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I'm sorry that you don't like your new fringe. I think you look good in that. Others have given you some good advice on what to do with your fringe - I would suggest you go for the sideswept look.

Mainly I just wanted to offer you my support. I'm the type of person who cut's fringe, almost immediately starts growing it, and after a few months cuts it again. :) All I can say is that don't worry, it will grow long again! I'm so used to growing my fringe out that it doesn't bother me anymore. If you decide to grow out your fringe learn to pin it back or use headbands so it doesn't hang over your face. That way it doesn't bother you and seems to grow faster.

Periwinkle
June 14th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I actually think they look awesome! They really suit you. Still, if you don't like the look, you could always try the snipping thing IslandGirl suggested. If you want to get them off your face, you could investigate alice bands and those hairbands that are like huge elastics: you put them round your neck like necklaces, then pull up the front over your head (pulling the fringe back with it) and let them rest. Sort of like an alice band, but a circle. There's also a hundred different ways of using kirby grips to clip them back.

And at least having a shorter fringe will make it seem like it's growing faster!

Silver Strands
June 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I love them.
I think you look adorable.

And I agree with spidermom.
Long faces can pull off bangs easier than
short, round faces.

Shermie Girl
June 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Ah yes. Bangs and a cowlick. I also have a monster cowlick in my front hairline so bangs just don't work for me. If I do get a crazy bug up my behind and cut them, I regret it almost instantly. The work it takes to make them lie smooth and then try to keep them that way all day is monumental. And then I have to wait forever for the things to grow out.

For what it is worth, tho, you look totally cute with bangs. :D They enhance your face shape and really bring out your pretty eyes.

Calista
June 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I think you look like someone just took a big ol´ paintbrush and dusted you all over with gold! Your hair your eyes, your face... very very pretty!

I hear you about your cowlick and your bangs - the two just don´t go together well, and it´s a constant fight of one against the other. I have given up that fight and grown out my bangs for good (at least I hope so I have been very fickle in the past when it came to my bangs).

brok3nwings
June 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Eireann Thank you ! :) Well i understand that and i hope that a month from now my bangs behave better...but i think thats because of my cowlick, when it has more hair it weights down and then i can have some sort of bangs...eheh

spidermom thank you for the comment. I can say that is a good picture...most of the time it is a really big mess and not bangs at all because of the cowlick (what a funny name...eheh, if i had translated from the portuguese into english it would be very far from cowlick)
I understand what you are saying about long face, but in my case i have a long face but my forehead is not big, is normal size so my bangs stay really short (there is a bit of perspective in this picture) and for me it seams that it makes my face even longer! I think bangs are great for those who have long face but with big forehead, that way it would short it, but i can be wrong. This can be just a matter of taste!

Ohio Sky I already did the whispy thing yesterday :) i like it a BIT better..but im defenitly not inlove with them...again, because of the cowlick! i understand what you are saying about letting it go where it wants...but for that i have to have it longer as i had them before i cut...i was really enjoying that lengh but the damage was getting me nuts :// I use natural hairproducts and they seam to do almost nothing to real damage, i mean, it can do but it doesnt help detangling. I would have to use cones on those parts and i didnt want to.

Islandgrrl eheh that is exactly what i´ll do! Let them grow!!! At least a bit so that i can leave my cowlick alone...(right now i have to blowdry my ends and that is really anoying!)

squiqqiflop well yes, now there is no much i can do...let it grow! let it grow!

jojo thank you and thank you for the advice...i already done it yesterday and it looks a bit better! Not so heavy ;)

Sana eheh i wont discust that cause we all have a wierd opinion and very personal about our image...so yes, i dont think i look at ALL with Uma :P

Paniscus Oh, i cant do it for now...but two months from now i will !!
I will try some styles so i dont get bored with it, those are pretty good suggestions! And you are right i like to see them with my updo.. the thing that makes me sad is that i like my hair with my natural volume and it seams that i dont like volume and my kind of bangs...so i´ve been oiling more and weighting it down just because of my bangs! But maybe ill find a solution

Curlsgirl Oh that lenght is good, it can be very pretty!!! And thank you, i dont like them a lot but i stay happy when people do :)

Moraq Oh thank you ! Really sweet comments from you. I have to say i like my cowlick!! I really do! It makes that wave you say...but only with longer hair !! I will get there again :) And i think that photo of the cowlick pretty funny, my hair was funny at that lengh everyone enjoyed it because of my cowlicks and because my hair is thick so it was naturaly funky!

rapunzhell13 ehehe thank you! :) yes i apreaciatte honesty even for the worst, but im glad you like it

Toadstool well...i know :( i cant have it too...and i´ve learned it...this is the second time i have bangs and the first i did it right because i left long hair on the cowlick and short hair where it was normal

Sceleste oh i wish i could feel that way about my bangs! I stress a lot with them because they define my face!!!

Periwinkle oh that is pretty good support! Yes i have to see the bright side of it...many things i can do! I know those huge elastics you are talking about..i will try them and i will also try scarf ? that can be used on hair. Like pinup style (although i am not a pinup and dont look like one..)

Silver Strands :) :) i really enjoyed your words... it looks like a poem

Shermie Girl well then you understand what i am going through !!! It can be hell ! :P

Calista im pretty impressed ! That gold thing really made me laugh eheh i am not that golden although sometimes yes my hair goes golden i go golden... (i have that yellow kind of skin, that with the sunset or something it can apear golden) eheh so yes i love the sun, it gives me colour. In winter time i look like a goast! My skin goes gray, my hair goes ashy and with no real colour, and my eyes go really darker ! About bangs...well i think you should hold on and if you want bangs do as i have done in the past, a side one and voila, much easyer!

THANK YOU ALL you are always great!! I did the whispy thing (is that the name?) and now i will let it grow... maybe i will post a picture to see if there is a difference but anyway. I know that right now i just have to be patient....
Im happy because yesterday i bought a scissor. It was expensive but i LOVE it (my other one was sheap and it did not do a good job..) so know i can slowly get a side bangs and slowly it will grow ;)

jojo
June 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Glad to be of help, they do suit you though and your lucky not everybody can pull off blunt fringes, but they do grow very quick. Its taken me 13 months to grow from above eyebrow to an inch under chin.

Tap Dancer
June 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
The good news is that the damage is gone and that's very important. I have so many cute fabric headbands that I bought at Target. They've been helpful in growing my bangs out. Try to be patient; your bangs will grow out before you know it! :)

Nevermore
June 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Actually, I think those bangs are really cute! I agree with other people who said that parting them and blending them in on the sides, especially as they grow, to make them less noticable.

WritingPrincess
June 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I actually really like the way the bangs look on you. I hope they'll settle down soon.

30isthenewblack
June 14th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I've got curly hair and I've always admired blunt fringes. I think the new fringe looks great & suits your hair but I'm sure you will look great with whatever you decide. Sometimes it takes a week or two to get used to a new look.

Gladtobemom
June 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Is your "thing" a cowlick? That's sort of a place where the hair grows in the wrong direction. I have two in the front that make it impossible to have bangs. I get two shocks of hair that stick straight upward.

I think your bangs loog beautiful. If you only have one cowlick, it sometimes works well to do asymetrical bangs and work with the cowlick. That's what Dsis does and it works for her.

lady G
June 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I think you really look great with the fringe! I had mine like that for about 2 years but I have decided to grow them out. I get too hot in summer months and I fancy a change. Just enjoy the new look for now and if you get bored then clip the fringe back and start growing again :)

busnutmedic
June 15th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Oh, I don't think they look bad at all! But I know how you feel, since it's not what *you* wanted it to look like. Sometimes I wear clothing that looks absolutely fine, but it's just not me and it doesn't feel comfortable.

You have beautiful eyes, btw :)

Bonnie

brok3nwings
June 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Oh i wish my bangs stayed like in that picture all the time! But the problem is...it DOESNT! Everyday i wake up and my bangs are punk style... (again, because of my cowlick) so i have to wet it and dry it...then i have to put some oil and some aloe vera gel (to get it better in place..). It is a nightmare for me...since im used to touch my hair all the time, im used to enjoy the wind... and now im so afraid of it ! eheh I know it will grow...i know it. I will do my best until then.
I have a question for those that use bangs...how much hair do you put in your bangs? I have about 1/4 of my hair on my bangs! That is a LOT. Modern hairdressers do it like this... but i´ve noticed that generally people with long hair put less hair on their bangs...
It makes me sad to see that i have so much hair on something that i dont even like... im enjoying my hair growth but this really takes me volume at my sides... (were it would belong if the hair was longer..)
Thank you all again
and i would apreciatte an opinion about this question of thick or thin bangs! ;)

Tap Dancer
June 17th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I have a question for those that use bangs...how much hair do you put in your bangs? I have about 1/4 of my hair on my bangs! That is a LOT. Modern hairdressers do it like this... but i´ve noticed that generally people with long hair put less hair on their bangs...

The bangs I'm growing out are thick. I had my "super-thin-and-wispy" bangs made thicker back in 2006 when it was really in style. I had spent many years cutting in thin bangs, making them thicker, and then growing them out.

It's best to ask a hairdresser for wispy bangs at first because you can always add more later if you don't like them. I just couldn't make up my mind what thickness I liked. :p LOL

Philomela
June 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I usually shy away from paying any compliments, but this time I have to chime in to say that your bangs become you. I don't care much for bangs, but this is an exception. Yours look adorable!