PDA

View Full Version : Elegant, Easy Updo. Does it exist?

WaitingSoLong
March 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Ok, I have just spent WAY too much time sarching LHC for an answer to this question and cannot find it. All the updos I am seeing are either for too much shorter length or are not "elegant".

I was given an antique hair pin/fork and want to wear it in my hair on Easter (I will be narrating a cantata). I thought it would be nice to learn an elegant "do" with/in which to wear it.

My hair is only a little longer than my avatar. I cannot find an easy updo for my length of hair that also looks elegant.

Perhaps a half up? I like braids but lose patience after awhile and my arms give out. I have tried many of the "fancy" braids you can find when Googling but cannot make any of them work right (like the waterfall braid).

The whole point is to wear my new heirloom hairpiece. I posted a pic of it already in THIS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1537035#post1537035) thread.

My resources: spin pins, bobby pins, amish pins and an assortment of hair-safe elastics.

At my wedding my mother did an easy but elegant updo on me, but alas, my hair is too long for it now (at least to do myself and that is what I would need). Plus it requires a curling iron and I don't even own one anymore.

I will add that I have no idea what I will be wearing. I HATE dresses but I have an nice one I usually wear on Easter. However, I am leaning towards something more "me" at the same time not really being concerned about my clothes and more-so about my hair. I am not a fashion fan!

It is JUST Easter, not a wedding or anything so I am not trying to look like a bride, just something simple yet elegant, perhaps allowing my length to peek through?

I don't think it exists. LOL.

Nightshade
March 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
What about something like this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=187

You could secure the twist with pins a bit and angle the fork through the twist?

GlennaGirl
March 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM

You could secure the twist with pins a bit and angle the fork through the twist?

Wow, this is simply beautiful!

selderon
March 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
please disregard

ElusiveMuse
March 29th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Looking at your hair pin, it would be more decorative than functional. Check out this link, it will give you some good places to research (like Godey's) and there is a great picture if you scroll down of the back of a woman's updo with a decorative pin.
http://www.vintagevictorian.com/costume_1860.html

The front of the style is admittedly very old fashioned but the way the pin is used in the bun is quite pretty.

ETA- I do agree with the person in your other thread that the pin is probably not Civil War era. The geometric pattern is consistent with Art Deco. But that doesn't mean you can't experiment with different eras' hairstyles!

Nightshade
March 29th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Wow, this is simply beautiful!

Heh, thanks :) I'm actually wearing it today :D

Calaelen
March 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I have several ideas that I think would wonderfully accent your fork (I have been replying to you in that thread...the only thing is my idea of elegant and yours may differ quite a bit.

I think a nice big chignon would look beautiful with it, also a style I do very often which is easy but so difficult and elegant looking it is basically two elongated celtic knot buns pinned at the nape of my neck, I often stick my vintage combs and forks into styles like these and they look wonderful.

I can try to get you pics in the next few days of what I mean if you're interested...just let me know :)

princessp
March 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Wow gorgeous- I am also going to try this!

Jenn of Pence
March 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I really like an inverted cinnamon bun. You just twirl it around like normal and then flip the bottom over the top, creating something akin to a twist or roll (or that's at least how mine turn out). It's so sleek and elegant, different than just having a big wart on the back of one's head. ;) It should work at your length, but you'd just have to experiment.

jojo
March 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ok, I have just spent WAY too much time sarching LHC for an answer to this question and cannot find it. All the updos I am seeing are either for too much shorter length or are not "elegant".

I was given an antique hair pin/fork and want to wear it in my hair on Easter (I will be narrating a cantata). I thought it would be nice to learn an elegant "do" with/in which to wear it.

My hair is only a little longer than my avatar. I cannot find an easy updo for my length of hair that also looks elegant.

Perhaps a half up? I like braids but lose patience after awhile and my arms give out. I have tried many of the "fancy" braids you can find when Googling but cannot make any of them work right (like the waterfall braid).

The whole point is to wear my new heirloom hairpiece. I posted a pic of it already in THIS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1537035#post1537035) thread.

My resources: spin pins, bobby pins, amish pins and an assortment of hair-safe elastics.

At my wedding my mother did an easy but elegant updo on me, but alas, my hair is too long for it now (at least to do myself and that is what I would need). Plus it requires a curling iron and I don't even own one anymore.

I will add that I have no idea what I will be wearing. I HATE dresses but I have an nice one I usually wear on Easter. However, I am leaning towards something more "me" at the same time not really being concerned about my clothes and more-so about my hair. I am not a fashion fan!

It is JUST Easter, not a wedding or anything so I am not trying to look like a bride, just something simple yet elegant, perhaps allowing my length to peek through?

I don't think it exists. LOL.
sorry not much advice on the up do but it always makes me giggle when I see the above (highlighted) we are such a bunch of hair-anorexics! your hair is like mega, mega, mega long!

Scarlet_Heart
March 29th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Good find Nightshade! Unless that's your hair, in which case, beautiful job! I was going to ask if a french twist is possible for your length (I'm at waist and can just do one). I think that's one that's easy and elegant, works well with a fork. And if not, than maybe a variation, but wasn't sure what, but Nightshade has a great option for ya!

WaitingSoLong
March 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM
You all rock!

Nightshade: I swear I have read every do on this forum and never have seen that one. Did you create it or just do a demo for LHC? I see you have classic length, so it should work for me. I will definitely try this one. I tell ya, I can do every bun out there but the other "do's" I just do not have the savvy for. But THAT is why I am asking now, so I can practice!

Selderon I had to LOL at your edit.

ElusiveMuse thanks for the link! I was going to start looking for pics just like that. I am hoping to find a real photo or a portrait of a real woman with a hair piece similar to the one I have. Of course, most pictures are from the front, which poses an issue.

Calaelen: trying to picture what you described. I do think two buns side by side with the fork accenting the top, kind of between the buns would look cool with the right bun. Not sure what an elongated celtic would look like. My double buns turn out really small. My hair is not as thick as everyone seems to think it is. How do you secure the buns? Pins? I am thinking if I do damp sleep braids, the curl I get will help my hair volume for it.

I have never been quite sure what a chignon is. When you google it, you get all sorts of things. Basically I think it is a "swooped" bun? My hair doesn't swoop well, all the pieces fall out the front and look like I just rode on a motorcyle or something. I have had it done, but they tease your hair to do it and I will not do that (not that anyone said I should). I also do not want to use heat but no one has even mentioned that.

Jenn of Pence I have seen tutorials for that. Mine always look horrid. Perhaps with more practice. Plus I cannot get them to stay but I have not tried since I have spin pins. I once did an awesome orchid bun and don't ya know I have not been able to duplicate it since.

Yesterday I tried the hairdo I had from my wedding. I just have too much hair to pull it off, at least for ME to pull it off.

JoJo you changed your avatar! Probably a long time ago, I don't think I have seen you around lately. Your hair is not much shorter than mine ;)

Scarlet Heart: I dislike french twists, besides the fact I cannot do it to save my life. I think they look cool from one side, but then the other side looks like a growth and somehow makes my nose look HUGE (it does not need help, believe me). This is the style I had at my first wedding (professionally done with flowers, etc.) It looked so pretty from one side and my profile from the other side looks awful! lol. Of course THAT was back 18 years ago. I would like to think I am more womanly now. I do like the idea of twists, which is why I will try Nightshade's style first.

Kudos!

Nightshade
March 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Good find Nightshade! Unless that's your hair, in which case, beautiful job! I was going to ask if a french twist is possible for your length (I'm at waist and can just do one). I think that's one that's easy and elegant, works well with a fork. And if not, than maybe a variation, but wasn't sure what, but Nightshade has a great option for ya!

Heh, that's my hair :) So thank you! I can't do a normal french twist, though. Even though my hair isn't super-thick and it tapers towards the ends there's just too much for me to manage a French Twist without looking like a lumpy-headed alien.

Waitingsolong-So far as I know I created it :) It was sort of a series of happy accidents. Hypnotica has pictures of her with it too, based off the tutorial, and I think even a video.

*goes to dig around the internet*

Okay, no video, but here's the finished product!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56866

Scarlet_Heart
March 30th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Scarlet Heart: I dislike french twists, besides the fact I cannot do it to save my life. I think they look cool from one side, but then the other side looks like a growth and somehow makes my nose look HUGE (it does not need help, believe me). This is the style I had at my first wedding (professionally done with flowers, etc.) It looked so pretty from one side and my profile from the other side looks awful! lol. Of course THAT was back 18 years ago. I would like to think I am more womanly now. I do like the idea of twists, which is why I will try Nightshade's style first.
Kudos!

Ahh, ok. Well, just the same, I saw this on YouTube and thought of you. From our very own CinnamonHair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNHoS5erfw

Maybe someone else with your predicament would find it useful.

WaitingSoLong
March 30th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Wow that is amazing she can get all that hair to stay like that. Thanks for the link! I was thinking, that if the "blob" side (as opposed to the tuck side) could be decorated, maybe it would not look so bad on me.

WaitingSoLong
April 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM
I managed to do a style and posted it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68320).

UltraBella
April 1st, 2011, 02:05 PM
Nightshade, I am pretty sure I actually love you. :puppykisses:

I think that style you posted might actually work for my hair, many don't. I can't wait to try it !!!

Lianna
April 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
I quite like the simple braided bun...it's one of the reasons I'm growing my hair.

selderon
April 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
I managed to do a style and posted it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68320).

:thud: Beautiful!

Nightshade
April 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Nightshade, I am pretty sure I actually love you. :puppykisses:

I think that style you posted might actually work for my hair, many don't. I can't wait to try it !!!

Awww, you're welcome :D

Pics if you manage it!!

Tiina
April 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Would a Gibson tuck work, maybe?