PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on job interviews and hair sticks

AchtungCurly
March 29th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi! I've been searching the boards here for a few days on this topic, and I can't find anything, so I'm asking. (Sorry to bust in on you like this, I was hoping to ease my way in around here.)

I just graduated school and am now interviewing in my new career field. My first interview is tomorrow. After searching the boards here, I'm definitely going with updo styles for my interviews (so thanks to those before me for that help!).

I've mastered the Twitch's double-looped knot bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=32), and it looks great on my thin, very layered, BSL hair.

Here's where I need opinions:

I own two hair sticks. They are both plastic ones from Sally's (I broke a lot trying to learn how to use them.) One is solid black, one is translucent brown tortoiseshell patterned. Each is 6" long. On my practice hair, the ends of the sticks can be glimpsed from the front, on either side of my ears. (Almost an inch shows on either side, making it clear that I have something jammed through my bun.)

Does this look unprofessional? Is it the length or the plastic sticks or both? Or are hair sticks in general a bad idea for an interview?

Thanks!

selderon
March 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I think they might be distracting used this way. You might try orienting the bun so the stick is vertical and thus hidden from the front.

What field are you going into?

QMacrocarpa
March 29th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Ooh, thanks for the pointer to that beautiful bun! I hope I'll remember to look it up again when my hair's a bit longer!

I don't know about "professional" but I personally prefer to not have a lot of hairstick visible from the front, especially to the sides. Can look especially weird with earrings. If I were limited to longish sticks, and had to use a hairstick style, I would go with something where the stick is at a steep angle behind the head, so not sticking out on either side of the face. But maybe you have some non-hairstick updos you like?

The main thing is to use something that you are comfortable with and that you feel looks good. You don't want to be fretting about your updo in the interview!

RetroKitten
March 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't wear hair sticks, I think the look is unprofessional, esp. for a job interview.

Viscountess
March 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I am a professional who is often in the public eye - and I wear my hair in a figure eight, with a single hairstick aligned vertically. Its low profile, and very tidy.

If you are worried about hair sticks sticking out and have time and a bit of cash, I recommend spin pins to secure your up-do!

morecowbell
March 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
It depends on what kind of job you're interviewing for. If it's entry level I wouldn't worry, if it's a skilled position, I would use hair pins, not sticks. Hair sticks can be seen as a younger woman's style, and if your interviewer has these preconceived notions, it might make them see you as immature.
At Sally they have these pins called "Good hair days" near the rollers, and they work very well for me. :)

HTH :)

didrash
March 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I think it depends on the hairstick. I wear hairsticks to work, and no one thought it looks unprofessional, but maybe the OP should use the black one, and even better, look for a shorter one that doesn't stick out so much...

I wouldn't wear hair sticks, I think the look is unprofessional, esp. for a job interview.

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I think that, if in doubt, don't wear the sticks. Of course, it really depends on the field you are in: if it is something in the "artsy" or creative area the sticks may be fine but if it is in a conservative field like finance or accounting you should secure your bun another way.

The rule of thumb always is: dress one step above what is acceptable on the job and keep your hair and accessories one step more conservative.

Magicknthenight
March 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Wow I'm surprised at how many people say hair sticks are unprofessional for job interviews. I always thought a Chinese braided bun with a single hair stick was nice. Not immature or distracting. Then again I don't think my sticks are too distracting. To me its just a great way to secure my hair. Not something that tells if I'm artsy or professional. Just didn't think about it that way I guess. Interesting thread!

selderon
March 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM
The color and design of the stick matter. A colorful, sparkly or ornate hairstick should probably be worn at work with caution.

elbow chic
March 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Personally, I'd wear a hairstick to a job, but probably not to an interview for that job.

AchtungCurly
March 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you all so much for the feedback and ideas! I was so proud of learning a new bun that it didn't occur to me that I could use something other than a hair stick to secure it. :rolleyes:

I will definitely leave the stick at home for interviews, and use my spin pins or something else to fasten and secure.

I also had no idea that hair sticks could be an issue professionally. I just thought that using a very cheap, obviously plastic, too long stick could be unprofessional, and that one of those nice wooden ones would be fine. I guess it really comes down to where you work/what you do.

I'll save on buying any sticks until I have a job, and can better gauge what's appropriate for my workplace/field.

Thanks!

mellie89
March 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I have those exact hairsticks! I almost wore them to a job interview, then changed my mind. I don't think a nicer hairstick would be unprofessional-looking, but those plastic ones stick out of my puny buns several inches in each direction. Definitely could be a distraction. ;)

GlassWidow
March 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Good luck on your interview! :)

Funwithsharps
March 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I really don't see how they can be viewed as unprofessional.

Khiwanean
March 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I could see how a plastic stick that's too long might be considered unprofessional and distracting. I have interviewed for an internship in the IT field with my hair in a bun held by a hairstick and I ended up getting the internship. If it's an understated hairstick that doesn't stick out too far I don't see how it could be a problem. I figured that if my interviewers even noticed the hairstick at all, it would show that I have the brains to figure out how to put my hair up with a hairstick. (not that anyone who hasn't figured out how to is stupid in any capacity, but for the general population it seems to be an unusual feat)

Mesmerise
March 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hmm well it never occurred to me that a hairstick in a bun would be unprofessional! Sheesh guess it shows that I don't know how to dress well for job interviews lol ;). Good thing I work from home now haha.

HairStickler
March 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I wear short hairsticks to work and I think they look professional, but I haven't asked anybody else. :) I have those Sally's hairsticks, too, and it seems like they should be fairly simple to cut down to a shorter length, if you have access to a saw or a Swiss Army knife. Cut the excess off of the wider end, then file off the rough edges.

christine1989
March 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I'm also on board with wearing hairsticks to work but not the ideal style for an interview. For my interviews I usually go with a sock bun. It's simple but at some point during the interview they ask "how did you get your hair that way?!" It's a great conversation starter ;).

FlowerTwin
March 30th, 2011, 11:42 AM

I've mastered the Twitch's double-looped knot bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=32), and it looks great on my thin, very layered, BSL hair.

I have nothing to add on the what to wear to a job interview part. Just wanted to say Thank you! I hadn't seen that bun before but I tried it last night and now there's another bun I can do. :cheese:

Caldonia Sun
March 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I used a pair of dark blue papadons in a french twist and got the job I was interviewing for. Only about an inch of hairstick was visible from the top of the FT. It looked professional, I guess.

AchtungCurly
March 31st, 2011, 08:19 AM
So fun update on my hair stick dilemma:

I used my spin pins on the bun to the interview. It went well (hair and interview).

During my interview, the campus manager came in to meet me. She had tried to use a pencil as a hair stick! :laugh:

At least I know if I get the job, I can get away with a wooden hair stick. ;)

GlassWidow
March 31st, 2011, 08:51 AM
During my interview, the campus manager came in to meet me. She had tried to use a pencil as a hair stick! :laugh:

This is awesome! Maybe when you get the job you could give her some friendly advice. :laugh:

In2wishin
March 31st, 2011, 08:54 AM
So fun update on my hair stick dilemma:

I used my spin pins on the bun to the interview. It went well (hair and interview).

At least I know if I get the job, I can get away with a wooden hair stick. ;)

First of all: yay for the interview going well :cheer:

Second: I really think that most hairsticks are professional for most jobs, unless it is something where hair needs to be completely secured or you need to wear a helmet or hat.

Third: I am interviewing right now and my theory is that it is OK if they see you originally as more conservative but there might be an issue if they see you as more flamboyant.

Last: if you go in for another interview or get the job, definitely wear the hairsticks if you want! The first impression is over and done.