PDA

View Full Version : What is this "cones" phenomenom ???

jhill923
March 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Im new so I havent been able to figure this out. And cant find a thread on it.... But what is a cone head ?? and what does cones means ??? Something to do with conditioners, I gleam. Are cones bad ?

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Im new so I havent been able to figure this out. And cant find a thread on it.... But what is a cone head ?? and what does cones means ??? Something to do with conditioners, I gleam. Are cones bad ?

"cones" is an abbreviation for silicone ingredients like dimethecone and cyclomethicone that are very common in hair care products, especialy conditioners. Some members like them, others don't: it is very personal like many things here.

Here is a link to the sticky with all common abbreviations: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

You will find more things if you look at "New, start here" then "Useful Links"

NouvelleNymphe2
March 29th, 2011, 11:15 AM
In2wishin's suggestion about reading the stickies or VITs was a very good one. :) I would also suggest reading through the Articles, by clicking on the Articles tab. Here are two articles regarding cones :). By the way welcome Jhill923 :flower:. HTH

Darkhorse's Dimethicone Article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=151)

Ktani's Cone Article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185)

Jenn of Pence
March 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I personally don't think that cones are "bad," and you can read lots of info on them via those links. :) For the most part it really comes down to each individual head of hair whether cones benefit or detract from one's natural texture. For instance, my hair is thick and has a very small amount of waviness, and I find that a thick, coney conditioner helps keep it shiny and silky while also weighing down the wave so it doesn't misbehave. ;) Those with fine hair might find it too heavy, and those with real waves and curls usually find it ruins their texture. Some are concerned it builds up on hair and doesn't allow the real moisture to penetrate the shaft (cones aren't necessarily moisturizing themselves), but that can also mean it helps provide "slip" for detangling. It's just something we've all had to experiment with to find what works! :)

Firefox7275
March 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Another vote for finding the Articles section ast the top of the page - I didn't find it for a couple of weeks but it was worth the wait!!

NouvelleNymphe2
March 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I agree with Jen of Pence. Some benefit from using cones, and some don't. I stopped using cones more than 4 months ago, and I really like how my hair looks. I have soft/fine hair and the coney conditioners were weighing my hair down and making it look very dull. My hair is naturally strong, fast growing, slippy, and shiny so cones were just adding unnecessary buildup. You'll see in some of the longer threads that discuss cone usage it's pretty much 6-1 half dozen to the other. I guess let your hair show you whether it prefer cones or not:).

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I agree with Jen of Pence. Some benefit from using cones, and some don't. I stopped using cones more than 4 months ago, and I really like how my hair looks. I have soft/fine hair and the coney conditioners were weighing my hair down and making it look very dull. My hair is naturally strong, fast growing, slippy, and shiny so cones were just adding unnecessary buildup. You'll see in some of the longer threads that discuss cone usage it's pretty much 6-1 half dozen to the other. I guess let your hair show you whether it prefer cones or not:).

Me too, except that I figured out that my hair does not like cones over all the hair but the ends lay better if I put just a tiny bit on them. My siggy picture is what happens with a touch of dimethecone and here is without:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/PBlength2.jpg

NouvelleNymphe2
March 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM
In2wishin, your hair is so beautiful. Can I ask what coney conditioner you add to the ends? Because I can see your point. Though 99% of my hair does NOT benefit from cones, perhaps the tips would. I do have to add a lot of oils, butters, and aloes to keep them looking decent. Could be worth a try. TIA

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
In2wishin, your hair is so beautiful. Can I ask what coney conditioner you add to the ends? Because I can see your point. Though 99% of my hair does NOT benefit from cones, perhaps the tips would. I do have to add a lot of oils, butters, and aloes to keep them looking decent. Could be worth a try. TIA

I actually use a couple of drops of pure dimethecone. I used to use a serum but the other things in it didn't help me so I tried it straight and that was the trick (for me, of course)