PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who can't find a comfortable style?

shikara
March 29th, 2011, 01:11 AM
In the past few months, I simply cannot find a comfortable style - I can form updos, but they fall and tug no matter what hair toy I use, I can easily braid my hair, but it tugs in certain places now regardless of how I try to re-manipulate my hair. I've paid attention to the grooves and swells of my skull to try to place pins in 'better'and 'strategic' places. I've used oils to provide 'texture' to hold the style. Wearing it down is the only way it feels friendly to my scalp but it tangles quite easily. Is this just a transition stage? Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

Mountaingrrl
March 29th, 2011, 02:05 AM
My hair isn't as long as yours yet, so I don't know how much this will apply to you -- but one thing I've found helpful is to use multiple hair toys to distribute the weight more comfortably.

Firefox7275
March 29th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I have seen recommended two buns/ braids to redistribute the weight. Maybe spin pins instead of normal ones? That wouldn't stop you adding a pretty hair toy for extra security.

Krentje
March 29th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Using a crunchy and pinning it up with a small claw clip/ 2 small claw clips or several bobby pins. Personally, i find myself re-doing that style once more during break (=now), than distributing weight again on other places. (like Mountaingrrl suggested as well)

Gabriel
March 29th, 2011, 04:56 AM
This hapenned to me at different lengths. Around tail bone it happened and then again at classic sometime. Everything stopped being comfortable and all the hairstyles were awkward. All my hair toys were too heavy or unbalanced suddenly.

I'm sure it happened at other lengths as well. It goes away though as the hair grows a little bit and balances things again, I think.

Meanwhile, I took to double bunning updos like everyone else has suggested. Double odango buns, nautilus or stacked figure 8's work well for me. I also tried other styles that I hadn't tried before or that hadn't worked before to see if something new would work, and often it would.

I've just gotten into braiding again so I don't have many suggestions for those but lace dutch braids worked into a bun are nice too.

selderon
March 29th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I'm amazed this problem exists at such a length. LOL Live and learn.

Anje
March 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I go through this from time to time, but less from length to length. A few suggestions:

With hairsticks, try using a single stick or not crossing sticks if you use two. Crossed sticks pull for me.

Also with hairsticks, try keeping them horizontal or nearly so.

What kind of pins are you using? I get better luck with Amish pins or other U-shaped pins than I do with bobby pins. Spin pins sometimes pull for me, too, and they're lumpy to lean back against, so I don't use them as often.

Low buns seem to be more comfortable to my scalp than high buns. However, it's possible to get your scalp acclimated over time, if it's important for you to do so. Just gradually increase the height and the amount of time that hair is worn higher up, and keep doing it daily. Braids at the nape are my fall-back for days when everything hurts.

ETA: I did hit a point where cinnamon buns no longer would balance. Do try Nautilus buns. They seem to stay and I don't think they're easy to grow out of again, once you can do them.

Valdeon
March 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Maybe good ol' Nautilus bun might help or 5-strand French braid? They both distribute the weight quite nicely.

Artsy
March 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM
When I had my hair at fingertip length, I had major headaches from trying to put it up. Well, it was long before I found LHC, so I didn't know many styles. Now, that my hair is getting heavy again, I have found that good quality U pins are less painful compared to bobby pins and hair sticks. Also hair forks with thick prongs don't agree with my head:( Lastly, it is always helping to put up a pony first and then bun it. For me the most comfortable spot is on the top of my head, and sometimes at the neck, as long as it is not too tight or too loose. A pony also helps if you are using bobby pins, then you can pin everything to your elastic without touching your scalp.

I hope this helps:flower:

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Lately I have ben having the same problem. It seems that my scalp hurts no matter what I do, even when I go to bed with my hair down.

spidermom
March 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I keep trying. Some days I put my hair up and take it back down off and on all day. Other days I find the right spot and the right tension, and my hair stays put all day. The nautilus, the gibralter, and the bun that stays work best for me.