PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation for cone-free routine

HintOfMint
March 28th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I've complained before in another thread but, I can't take the winter air anymore. My canopy is so dry and it tangles even if I JUST detangled it. It's physically rough to the touch but if I run my fingers down each strand, it's smooth without any damage, save for the very occasional split. It's just dry and awful feeling and yes, I have clarified, have a routine that is protein-free, and I don't have hard water.
Oils haven't helped one bit unless I get it so greasy that it HAS to be soft.

So I'm going back to cones. It's the only thing that keeps my hair shiny and free of tangles, and with the tangles I've been getting lately, I'll risk the damage from more frequent clarifying.

I'll still experiment to see how long I can go without clarifying, and I'll watch out for buildup. I may alternate cone-free conditioners and oils with cones to see if the cones eventually wear off on their own from manipulation instead of scrubbing with a sulfate. I remember going cone-free with CO after a coney routine without clarifying and it was fine.

So to celebrate my going back to cones for now, I clarified (to get some experimental product off my hair) and then conditioned with what could be the mother of all coney conditioners Aussie 3MM. Then I topped it off with John Frieda Frizz Ease (Lite :p) when I got out of the shower.

Not. A. Single. Tangle.

Halle. Lujah.

ElusiveMuse
March 29th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Cones are not bad and if you need to take a break from avoiding them, I think it's good that you're taking that step. You do not have to justify your use of cones to us :)

I hope others who are really rigid about cones might see that you're adjusting for what works best for you and also reconsider their stance. Just because you do something for now doesn't lock you in for life. Hair changes. So should routines.

McFearless
March 29th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Pfft I can't believe it took you so long. Cones. Are. Amazing:cheese::cheese:

varintalonguard
March 29th, 2011, 01:46 AM
I too have had to start putting cones on my ends. Sigh, it was doing so well in the fall and early winter and then bang...it got mad at me and even after tons of love and care is still a little grumpy...

HintOfMint
March 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the support, y'all.

For the record, I never thought that cones themselves were bad, it's the use of shampoo on the ends of my hair that I'm not a fan of. CWC (in a better climate) made my hair so soft and lovely, but I was worried about buildup and having to shampoo my ends more frequently (defeating the purpose of CWC) that I cut out cones. Also, my hair (not my scalp) reacted really nicely to CO, so I wanted to use more gentle cleansing methods for my hair.

But like I said, I'm going to experiment to see if I can have the best of both worlds.

Have great hair or die tryin'? :-P

Jenn of Pence
March 29th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Lol, having great hair is indeed the plan. While I personally like cones, I find I can alternate with cone-free without ill effect. And when the time's right you can go cone-free again. But amen about cold weather...let's get on with summer!!!!

HintOfMint
April 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
UPDATE!

I've been continuing with CWC with the cones, alternating coney conditioners with cone-free conditioners, but always topping off with a coney serum after. So far, no buildup and no tangles!

jojo
April 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I switch between cone and non-cone conditioners, I like how coneless brings my waves out but love how cones stop tangles; I prefer non tangly hair!

pepperminttea
April 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I switch between cone and non-cone conditioners, I like how coneless brings my waves out but love how cones stop tangles; I prefer non tangly hair!

It's a bit of a catch-22, isn't it? I love the 'coney slip and how much easier it is to detangle, but my hair definitely waves less with them. :(

UltraBella
April 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM
It's a bit of a catch-22, isn't it? I love the 'coney slip and how much easier it is to detangle, but my hair definitely waves less with them. :(

This ! This is exactly my issue and it frustrates me so much !! I love my waves but my waves also mean tangles...... Grrrr
To cone or not to cone is a constant question for me.