PDA

View Full Version : Chemical damage...Help??

NorCal
March 28th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Let me first say, as a new member I really appreciate all the information everyone has compiled here. The LHC has been a real help to me.

I'm planning on growing out my APL hair, and I have a lot of chemical damage. I've dyed, highlighted, and dyed again...and again...and used color remover, and then dyed a few more times. Ugh. So my hair is understandably a little angry at me. My plan is to grow out the damage, perhaps with some help from henna and cassia and indigo for hair strength and to maintain a less noticable color change. I'm hoping the dye will fade a bit so that it's closer to natural. I plan to wait a few months before I get started with the henna. Or is it ok to go ahead and start??

My hair is very fine, naturally, but there's a lot of it. With the dye it's a bit thicker, but not much. There's a slight wave to it when it gets long enough. It's a medium-dark brown color with a little red in the sun. Currently it's dyed a bit darker brown than natural. I'm pretty annoyed with that. Very few greys yet, though I'm sure they'll be inviting their friends soon if my age and family are a good indication.

Sorry for rambling. I just need all the help I can get. I'm trying hard to restore a bit of health and strength to my hair. I probably need a trim, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind too much keeping it at APL until the damage grows out, but if I can grow it longer that's great. The ends are snagging a lot, which worries me.

Currently I'm washing 2-3 times a week, usually with diluted shampoo, and CO'ing the other days. I use a light conditioner on my scalp and a heavier cone-y conditioner on my ends. I use EVOO and coconut oil on my ends before and/or after shampooing, but I just need the slip from the leave-in coney serums or it seems that my hair becomes a birds nest.

So there's my current situation. I am reading and absorbing as much as I can but if anyone can relate I really appreciate any feedback and tips. Thanks again, you all are amazing.

- Teresa

krissykins
March 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I don't have any advice on the henna front, but have you tried protein treatments? Your hair might want some after being colored a lot. :flower:

varintalonguard
March 28th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Henna has done a lot of good for the parts of my hair that is chemical damaged. I dyed my hair, not a lot but enough.

You probably want to stick with cones until your hair is healthier...don't be afraid of conditioner! If its a little too greasy pin it up and let it soak. I was a big fan of the herbal essences line before I gave up cones and now that my ends need a little coney love I've picked it back up for the last 3 or so inches of my hair. I find that their conditions don't build up in my hair like others do.

My ends do get snaggy and velcro like but if you want to keep the length try a deep conditioner on them once a week (good for your whole head) and condition them every day. If you like braids try oiling the ends on the day you braid your hair. My hair loves coconut but olive is a fairly popular choice as well.

It takes patience to grow out damaged hair but like my niece says...You are going to look like a princess! :)

Firefox7275
March 29th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Sounds like you are putting a lot of different products on your hair, have you tried clarifying? Some people find cone build up and/ or coconut oil on the ends makes their hair crunchy or snaggy. I found it easier to cut any remaining damaged ends to stop the snagging. Secondly you might make a leave-in conditioner for the ends from coconut and normal conditioner called Fox's Conditioning Cream: the recipe calls for shea butter but you can use EVOO if you prefer. I have doubled the conditioner in my mix to be able to use it a on the lengths. Coconut is supposed to be really good for colour damaged hair.

NorCal
March 30th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't have any advice on the henna front, but have you tried protein treatments? Your hair might want some after being colored a lot. :flower:

Thanks krissykins, you're so right about protien, I'm using a protein coconut serum along with the coconut oil that seems to help. I have to use them so I can get my hair manageable enough to comb out. After a while it seems to not work anymore so I calrify and start again.

Henna has done a lot of good for the parts of my hair that is chemical damaged. I dyed my hair, not a lot but enough.

You probably want to stick with cones until your hair is healthier...don't be afraid of conditioner! If its a little too greasy pin it up and let it soak. I was a big fan of the herbal essences line before I gave up cones and now that my ends need a little coney love I've picked it back up for the last 3 or so inches of my hair. I find that their conditions don't build up in my hair like others do.

My ends do get snaggy and velcro like but if you want to keep the length try a deep conditioner on them once a week (good for your whole head) and condition them every day. If you like braids try oiling the ends on the day you braid your hair. My hair loves coconut but olive is a fairly popular choice as well.

It takes patience to grow out damaged hair but like my niece says...You are going to look like a princess! :)

varintalonguard, I think I am going to go ahead with the henna. I'll wait a few weeks to think about it before I order it, and then go with a henna/cassia mix. I bet my hair will be over-porous and take on too much color if I'm not careful.

My cone-y conditioner is Pantene. I use Suave on the roots, and the heavy stuff on the ends. I will try to be better about braiding my hair and keeping it moisturized. I have some long layers that annoy me by poking out all the time. I don't like wearing buns much but I guess I better get used to it if I want to grow it out!

Sounds like you are putting a lot of different products on your hair, have you tried clarifying? Some people find cone build up and/ or coconut oil on the ends makes their hair crunchy or snaggy. I found it easier to cut any remaining damaged ends to stop the snagging. Secondly you might make a leave-in conditioner for the ends from coconut and normal conditioner called Fox's Conditioning Cream: the recipe calls for shea butter but you can use EVOO if you prefer. I have doubled the conditioner in my mix to be able to use it a on the lengths. Coconut is supposed to be really good for colour damaged hair.

Firefox, I do clarify when I feel the products aren't helping much. It stinks because I feel like the deep cleansing dries out my hair so much, but I think it would break a lot without the products, so I'm stuck for now. I've made a small bottle of the leave ins I found myself using daily, so I can apply them all at once. It's suave coconut conditioner, a little olive oil, and a little of the coconut protein serums (there's a white one and a clear one). I didn't mix in the coconut oil, just because it's solid and I'm lazy, but I do put it on my ends some days. I'm planning to buy some shea and possibly castor oils, for recipies like you suggested and scalp massage.

:blossom: Thanks for the tips. I feel like I'm at least on the right track now. I'm going to give myself a trim and see if that makes my hair feel a little better.

angelraver
March 30th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'd say just keep with the conditioner and use a mild shampoo that doesnt strip your hair of its natural oils...

also limit blow dries/colour and heat tools if poss!!!

xoxophelia
March 30th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I have been growing out chemical and heat damage as well. My best advice is to stop heat styling all together, put it up, and ignore it. Do a deep conditioning treatment like EVOO and honey once a week (will also help fade the color) and then do this for two months. At the end of two months cut an inch off.

The reality is that it just takes a long time but I can promise you this method is working and did work for me. My hair was awful when I gave up heat but after two months it was noticably getting better. Trimming really helped me a lot too.

If your plan is to grow out natural it is also a good idea to avoid henna, indigo, or anything permanent. My hair color was originially black but it has faded close enough to my natural (light brown/dark blonde). Things that don't fade will just make the demarcation line noticable for longer.

There are a lot of updo tutorials here and it would probably help to learn a few of those and then learn some heat free styling methods to wear your hair down.

I have been able to grow my hair from BSL to waist doing this but if I had continued to heat style or tried anything drastic like stripping the color or henna I would probably be shorter than BSL right now.

Firefox7275
March 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Firefox, I do clarify when I feel the products aren't helping much. It stinks because I feel like the deep cleansing dries out my hair so much, but I think it would break a lot without the products, so I'm stuck for now. I've made a small bottle of the leave ins I found myself using daily, so I can apply them all at once. It's suave coconut conditioner, a little olive oil, and a little of the coconut protein serums (there's a white one and a clear one). I didn't mix in the coconut oil, just because it's solid and I'm lazy, but I do put it on my ends some days. I'm planning to buy some shea and possibly castor oils, for recipies like you suggested and scalp massage.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but your routine smacks of desperation and that is sad to read. :( I am not suggesting going cold turkey with your hair just honing down your routine so you know what works and what does not; you may find so many products are fighting against each other and you are using one to counteract the negative effects of another! I am sure your hair does need a lot of TLC but that can come from one or two staples. If the deep cleansing is stripping your hair, stop. You only need harsh sulphate shampoos for coney conditioner and serums. I understand the cones are giving you slip but they are not repairing any damage and they can only hold your hair together temporarily. Also some people find cones and protein drying and both can build up to make hair snag.

Really your conditioner should be giving you enough slip to get a wide tooth comb through, then put it up so it can't get any more tangled. Some of the ladies here only comb when the hair is wet and has conditioner in, others detangle with fingers plus some diluted leave-in conditioner (or a wash out one, as many can be left in). Many do not brush at all, many only partially rinse conditioner out. Maybe focussing on the coconut oil you already have rather than buying new oils or butters? This can penetrate the hair shaft if used with heat or mixed with certain shampoos. :cool: Apparently castor oil can be drying.

Did you read this yet? It's great to remind us to slow down and be more scientific about what we try. :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39
I also found it really helpful to analyse what I was using on my hair, I discovered that everything contains cones and nothing was creamy or oily! I also realised how many of my issues were down to treating my hair incorrectly, for example brushing frequently instead of combing occasionally. :o