PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way...

krissykins
March 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM
To keep ends tucked in updos without pinning it? I've noticed that at awkward lengths my ends don't stay tucked. Freaking layers :(

I did a search, but nothing really helped, so I apologize if this is a repeat :flower:

Firefox7275
March 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Not even heat treatments will persuade my ends to stay tucked when they don't wanna - if you style your hair curly your layers should blend in?

krissykins
March 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Well I wear my hair up like 80% of the time. Layers don't always agree with cinnamon buns :lol:

Firefox7275
March 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Well I wear my hair up like 80% of the time. Layers don't always agree with cinnamon buns :lol:

I guess I have all this fun to come, because I don't have layers .... or I didn't until my last trim! :p Messy buns look good with curly hair, or a French pleat hides all the ends? Buy a ballerina bun cover? I did a sock bun (once only!) and put a beaded elasticated bracelet around it, that worked surprisingly well.

torrilin
March 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe try a bun where messy would look cute instead? A flipped bun might be doable, and you might have enough length for a knot bun. French twists where the ends are untucked and curly tend to look really adorable.

Also keep in mind that *everyone* has layers from regrowth. It may not be super obvious, but a little spiking or sticky-outy bits kind of go with the territory.

pepperminttea
March 28th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Much as I hate to say it, it's difficult to make ends stay bunned with blunt cut hair, too. I think the fairytale-enders have it easiest when it comes to tucking the ends under, and them actually staying, or so I've read. I normally have to break out a spin pin or two to get things to stay under wraps.

krissykins
March 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I don't like messy buns because they're not as protective and that's mostly why I wear my hair up all of the time. My hair is too long and thick to do a French twist. :(

I promise that I love my layers for when my hair is down, but they make updos a pain in the rear.

I don't really have a blunt cut. It's a cross between a U and a V shape. The ends are still slightly thin, but not like they were before my trim.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it. But does this mean the only way to tuck in my ends is to use a pin? :(

MissCoco
March 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hey, I have the same problem (layers/growing out bangs)! I strongly suggest a hair net-- one of those thin ones that you can hardly see. Really works for me and my layers are quite thick and awkward. Hope this helps! :flower:

torrilin
March 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Ye-ah, but you're a M/C. Your hair is going to be a *lot* stronger than my F :D. A little bit of exposed ends (particularly on the top of your head) just isn't going to be devastating to your hair. I'll grant you that regrowth layers can sometimes be easier to manage, but ultimately there will always always ALWAYS be layers in there.

As far as French twists go... I suspect it's not that your hair is too long. I'd bet on it being a technique thing. It's one of those styles that I just can't usually get to stay up, no matter how long or short my hair is. (matters probably aren't helped by me liking the style in the abstract, but thinking it looks like ass on me, so I can't be bothered to practice it seriously most of the time) There are a lot of women on this forum with hair that's very thick indeed and much longer than ours who manage them tho...

I tend to use a smidge of gel or styling cream instead of pins if I want to be as sleek as possible. But my hair is a lot straighter than yours, so it doesn't take much to make it look straight, and my hair just laughs off sodium laureth sulfate :). And my hair is slippery enough that it just spits bobby pins out a lot of the time.

krissykins
March 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hey, I have the same problem (layers/growing out bangs)! I strongly suggest a hair net-- one of those thin ones that you can hardly see. Really works for me and my layers are quite thick and awkward. Hope this helps! :flower:

Oh look, same hair type :D I'll pick up some hair nets. I'm guessing I'd put it on before I insert a hair fork :p

Torrilin, thank you. My ends are pretty damage still so they can't take a beating quite like my healthier hair can. I'm not big on gels/creams, but I'll see what those other long haired ladies do for French twists :p

RocketDog
March 28th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I have old layers that often stick out in crazy directions, but damp-bunning seems to keep them under control for me... most of the time. I just cut off like 3-4" in hopes that I'd have a better time keeping buns tidy, but the blunter, healthier ends fall out of updos even more than the thinner, scraggly ends used to! On days where it won't stay tidy no matter what, I use a glob of conditioner or oil to soak the last 6" or so and braid it, then throw the braid into a cinnabun or wrap.

krissykins
March 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the tip, RocketDog. I could try adding lots of conditioner to the ends.

Lianna
March 28th, 2011, 11:20 PM
If you still wanna try the french twist, here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNHoS5erfw) a video by Cinnamon doing it with knee length hair. :)

McFearless
March 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
If the little pieces sticking out are in the air and not getting caught in your collar/jewellery I think you'll be okay. I have the same problem. When wearing a bun the actual bun hair is exposed to the elements so whats a few more strands gonna do? :eyebrows: