PDA

View Full Version : MSM warning (not what you think)

In2wishin
March 28th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I added some MSM to my shampoo the other day and had a wierd thing happen: the silver jewelry I was wearing turned black and I am having a hard time removing the discoloration :( I was also wearing some white gold and that was not affected at all. I am certain it is the MSM because that was the only thing different.

metricfuture
March 28th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I think you're right about it being the MSM, we used a kind of sulfur in jewelry class to "antique" detailed pieces before buffing them. Have you tried putting your silver in a small glass container, adding super hot water and baking soda and tossing in a piece of tinfoil? I've done that with silver plated flatware and it worked great.

In2wishin
March 28th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I think you're right about it being the MSM, we used a kind of sulfur in jewelry class to "antique" detailed pieces before buffing them. Have you tried putting your silver in a small glass container, adding super hot water and baking soda and tossing in a piece of tinfoil? I've done that with silver plated flatware and it worked great.

Thanks for the suggestion. I happen to be out of baking soda right now so I will try it as soona s I get some.

Milui Elenath
March 29th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Washing soda also works if you don't have BS. Just enclose the jewellry in the foil so that it is touching it for the cleaning to work. :)

- I had a similar thing happen to me with some silver jewellry. I went to New Zealand and went into a thermal springs with a silver necklace on. It came out black.

I took it to a jeweller believing it was ruined, hoping they might be able to replate it or something and they cleaned it free of charge God bless them!

I hope your jewellry comes out unscathed as mine did.

MonikaHa
March 29th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Sulur turns silver black :) I found out while on a hiking trip, where the water had lots of it in it (it smelled like rotten eggs).
The good news is, it can be cleaned.

Anje
March 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Makes sense. That's why you don't use real silver silverware on eggs.

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM
It's really funny ... I know this about sulphur and silverware but the connection in my brain didn't work :silly: I also know that you are supposed to remove all jewelry for the bath, shower, and to sleep (yeah, right ... who actually does that :rolleyes: ) I think I will be paying a little more attention in the future.

BTW: I was out of baking soda so will be getting some with my groceries later today and will try the baking soda and foil soak.

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM

I did this and it helped but the silver is still darker and duller than before. I used about a teaspoon of baking soda in a little over 1/2 cup of water and about a 4" square of foil. I let it sit until the water was cold, then used some silver polish on the jewelry (one ring and one chain). Should I do it again with different proportions?

Natalia
March 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Ohhh im sorry about your jewlrey! Thank you for the warning i am considering some MSM experiments and i wear silver earings.