PDA

View Full Version : Have a tremendous urge to get a buzz cut ahhh!

RecklessCharlie
March 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM
This is a bit worrisome and probably just a phase which will pass but for the last few weeks I've had this great urge to buzz off all my hair! :confused:
Not long ago I reached my goal of tailbone length and my hair is in better condition than it has been for years. So I don't really understand why I feel the need to chop it all off! Perhaps its the minimalism kick I've been on for a while....
Any suggestions on how to quell the urge?! Because I have a feeling I would regret it if I cut, but I want to SO badly! Help!!

hanne jensen
March 28th, 2011, 12:40 AM
:twocents::soapbox:I'll tell you about growing out a buzz cut. You will have about a million layers. It will cost you at least 1 year of your life at neck length to gather about half of all those layers. Then 6 months later, if you're very lucky, you will have to maintain at between shoulder and APL for a while to get just 3 layers out. On your journey you will suddenly want to chop about 3 inches off to get more of the layers out. You will still have layers....It will take you at least 3 years to get near BSL. With layers. That's the layer story.

Now, to the damage story. No matter how careful you are, YOU WILL GET DAMAGE at the awkward lengths. Hair too short to put up, but brushes against collar, getting caught everywhere etc. With your thickness, you'll probably get a raging headache when you can just get your hair in a pony. I know I did. Your canopy is the last layer to grow out. It will be FRIED!

Yes, you will save a fortune in products. But, You will also freeze in the winter and fry in the summer. One month after you buzz, you'll sit down and cry. You will hate the sight of yourself. You will be very lucky if you are at BSL 5 years after a buzz no matter how fast your hair grows.

It's been 8 years since I buzzed and I'm still fighting a fried canopy. I'm only at BSL+.

Of course, it's your head and you can do what you want.

If you really want a change, have you considered trimming to hip length?

If you are on a minimalist kick, long hair is actually easier and cheaper to maintain.

Yozhik
March 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Whew. ^^ just convinced me that I do not want a buzz cut.

If you want to get back to TB, it'll take a long time to grow back out.

On the other hand, I have been on and off considering a buzz cut, but thanks to hanne's story, I think I'll shelve that idea for the moment. :) I understand the urge, though!

hanne jensen
March 28th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Glad I could help somebody avoid years of tears.

noel11
March 28th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Wow... I get the temptation to go buzz just because of so emotional connections with my hair.. not happening now. There have been a few times after a bad event where I almost took scissors straight to my hair and just whacked it off. I think I had the scissors in my hand once or twice and stopped before I did anything. Never going to have that temptation again!

pepperminttea
March 28th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Wow hanne... :bigeyes: I certainly have no urge whatsoever to get a buzz cut now (I didn't have much of an urge before, but still, wow).

Mesmerise
March 28th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hanne's post needs to be the "go to" for anyone considering a buzz ;) After reading that only the most determined would go through with it!

That being said, I still may try it when I want to get rid of my henna (not for a loonng time yet though).

WaitingSoLong
March 28th, 2011, 05:32 AM
WOW Hanne, what a great post! I have always wanted to buzz my hair and even had a dream I did it last night and was happy about it. Everything you said is what has always kept me from doing it. The "growing out". Plus the stares. With long hair, when I am up to stares, I can let my hair down. When I am not up to it, I can put it in a bun.

Long hair is definitely more versatile and easier. I had a very short haircut once and I hated growing it out but it was not as bad as what Hanne wrote. So, to the OP, I feel your urge and if you choose to do it I will live vicariously through you. I confess I love seeing women who have buzzed their hair (not a gay thing, just an envy thing). Somehow I have associated buzzing my hiar with "freedom", the freedom to do what I want without stigma. It is all in my head, but the urge remains.

I did get to buzz my son's hair last night! It was about 6" long all over. :)

TheBluffs
March 28th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Gah! I had to this urge too! I just sat there thinking 'Wow, I'm just gonna grab some siccors and hack the length off..) And I have tailbone length!

Do something fancy with your hair is what I did. Try a new updoo, moisturizer it.. ect. Get into that whole 'Having long hair is fun' mode.

And it wouldn't hurt letting out your hair for a day, the compliments are nice. ;)

morecowbell
March 28th, 2011, 07:17 AM
As always, your hair is your hair, and whatever you decide will be right, but I have to agree with hanne jensen. The growing out phase is terribleterribleterrible!
I damaged my hair irreparably when I was 17, and, crying, buzzed my BSL+ hair to 1/2" all over. It was definitely nice to just wash and go, but after the first month it started getting shaggy and ugly. (For some reason I never asked to go get it professionally shaped) There was only ONE good month of grow-out for me, the rest of the time I had a mini mullet and shaggy hair with no style. I spent my 17th year feeling ugly and horrible about myself (didn't help that I'd just got healthy after anorexia). It's been almost 5 years and I'm only APL+ (but to be honest I haven't been growing consciously until last December). I'll admit to having similar urges when I decide to change colors or when I see how damaged my length is, but remembering that time (and the horrid pictures that are still floating around somewhere) always keeps me sane.

Whatever you decide to do should make you happy, I just wanted to inform anyone who doesn't understand fully about the commitment it takes.

:)

bte
March 28th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Minimalism isn't only about having very little, it's about not doing things which use energy unnecessarily.

So keeping your (very beautiful) hair is actually more minimalist than buzzing it.

RecklessCharlie
March 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice :)
Hanne Jensen your post has definitely given me pause. I realize that many people end up not liking drastic cuts, however from my own experience I actually like them. When I was 17 I had almost thigh length hair and one day decided to cut it into a serious shag cut. Total spur of the moment thing. Think Keith Richards circa 1972 haha!

People said I would hate it and regret it but I LOVED it. The shortest layer wasn't even halfway to the top of my ears. I always cut my own hair so I have control over just how its going to turn out.
The growing out process wasn't too awful because I was always trimming it here and there and I actually liked the different stages it went into. BUT, it wasn't nearly as short as a buzz cut would be and the growing out would be quite a bit different but I would be able to maintain a decent shape and style as it grew because I would be trimming it...

My brother and I have very similar hair and he used to buzz his head (much shorter than I would mine!) almost every year and his hair always grew back beautifully with very little/no damage. So perhaps different hair types make for a different result?

So you've all certainly given me a few more things to think about. I believe I'll keep the clippers in the cabinet...for now :)

oktobergoud
March 28th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I've been thinking about buzzing it for a few weeks as well! But I'm way too chicken BUT IT WOULD BE SO AWESOME. I have a pixie so it's short anyway, and FRIED because it used to be platinum/white and is FRIED to death. Ugh.. so tempting.. but I'd look horrible. I'll just get a supershort pixie instead ;)

Mesmerise
March 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I've been thinking about buzzing it for a few weeks as well! But I'm way too chicken BUT IT WOULD BE SO AWESOME. I have a pixie so it's short anyway, and FRIED because it used to be platinum/white and is FRIED to death. Ugh.. so tempting.. but I'd look horrible. I'll just get a supershort pixie instead ;)

I think if I had short hair that was really damaged, I definitely WOULD consider having a buzz cut... just cause I've never done it! My goal is to buzz my hair when I get too grey to keep hennaing it lol... of course, I always figured that when I get to 50+ I'll maybe be less attached to my hair... however, having been on LHC now for awhile and seeing so many long haired older ladies, I wonder how true that will actually be when the time comes!!

Still, if my hair wasn't already long, and it was short... I would be much more inclined to go shave it all off!

DakarNick
March 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I really hope you don't!

ericthegreat
March 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and advice :)
Hanne Jensen your post has definitely given me pause. I realize that many people end up not liking drastic cuts, however from my own experience I actually like them. When I was 17 I had almost thigh length hair and one day decided to cut it into a serious shag cut. Total spur of the moment thing. Think Keith Richards circa 1972 haha!

People said I would hate it and regret it but I LOVED it. The shortest layer wasn't even halfway to the top of my ears. I always cut my own hair so I have control over just how its going to turn out.
The growing out process wasn't too awful because I was always trimming it here and there and I actually liked the different stages it went into. BUT, it wasn't nearly as short as a buzz cut would be and the growing out would be quite a bit different but I would be able to maintain a decent shape and style as it grew because I would be trimming it...

My brother and I have very similar hair and he used to buzz his head (much shorter than I would mine!) almost every year and his hair always grew back beautifully with very little/no damage. So perhaps different hair types make for a different result?

So you've all certainly given me a few more things to think about. I believe I'll keep the clippers in the cabinet...for now :)

At first, I was going to seriously plead with you to not do it. Your hair is so beautiful, I love the slight natural waves. It would be such a shame to lose all that hair due to some crazy urge and then regret it later. But now that I know that you have done something similar in the past, and that you in fact loved it, I can see that if you do in fact decide to cut your hair very short, it would be after great consideration.

I still think you should think it over for just a bit longer. Give it the standard two week rule, and weigh all the pros & cons. Keep hanne jensen's advice close to heart, growing out from a totally buzzed head is brutal. Maybe if you do decide to go for that cut, maybe you can go for a much less extreme option like cutting back to BSL or APL , that way if you decide to grow it out again you can do so gracefully.

oktobergoud
March 29th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I think if I had short hair that was really damaged, I definitely WOULD consider having a buzz cut... just cause I've never done it! My goal is to buzz my hair when I get too grey to keep hennaing it lol... of course, I always figured that when I get to 50+ I'll maybe be less attached to my hair... however, having been on LHC now for awhile and seeing so many long haired older ladies, I wonder how true that will actually be when the time comes!!

Still, if my hair wasn't already long, and it was short... I would be much more inclined to go shave it all off!

Ah I know, I want to start fresh with virgin hair so badly! I've shaved off half of my head (that sounds weird haha) before in an asymmetrical cut and I loved how it felt! So soft! But I also was glad when it grew back. I think it would be too much for me to shave it all off.. I need a little hair in my face haha! Plus I don't think they will be fond of it at work and I work with children most of the time. I don't want them to think I'm sick or anything like that!
But I will cut it off, soo it will be a very short pixie :) But yeah shaving is definitely tempting!

Toadstool
March 29th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Thing is though, a shag is NOTHING like a buzz cut. Just saying. not that I think you should or shouldn't buzz it off but I think there is a massive difference between having hair and having almost none. In terms of social acceptability, how your face will look etc.

Re the minimalism thing, I pixied my hair really short for similar reasons and because I couldn't stand the mess of having shed hairs on the bathroom floor. I discovered even short hair sheds:rolleyes:.

Anyway, of course it's up to you. If you do it, I hope you LOVE it!!

Kaeita
March 29th, 2011, 06:25 AM
hanne jensen, I loved your story of growing your hair out, though I felt your pain and frustration! I'm just curious as to why it caused your canopy to "fry"? I'm currently contemplating taking this year to experiment with my hair, and finish it up with shaving my head sometime next year (I'd really like to do it at least once, fully shaved, and I'd far rather do it when it's short, than after I reach my goal length). I'm wondering if the fry is part of shaving, or if it's something I can possibly avoid. I have had my hair short-short several times before, and am currently growing out from a very short cut, and had a very fried canopy, but I didn't connect it to having short hair. I just figured that all the chemicals in the water had damaged my hair, as I have a very distinct line where the damage is growing out, which started around the time I got rainwater tanks for showering etc.

Chamy
March 29th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Im closing in at waist now, and i also get the urge to buzz sometimes. I saw this beautiful woman with buzzed blonde hair, and that didnt even fit in her style(which is probably why i was to drawn to the hairstyle on her). Point is i wanted that hair too. But i have had a buzz before and i know how horrible it is to grow it out. Like hanne said, you cant trust that when you have decides for sure to buzz, that you wont regret it a month later.

hanne jensen
March 29th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Kaeita, my canopy is fried because it was the last layer to reach my hemline. Through the years of growing out I have had several hairsyles recut into my hair. When I got to about collar bone lenght I had a dreadful pyramid shape so I got my hair even more layered. Then I started to seriously grow my hair long and didn't trim my layers. Last year I had DH give me a 7 centimeter chop, getting rid of all my layers. My canopy just barely reached my hemline then. If I want to get all the damage out I'd have to chop another 10 centimeters, which I will not do. So, it's years of dusting for me!

Drynwhyl
March 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Charlie, I know the feeling! I don't want you to regret anything, but if you really do want to, go for it. Although wait a bit more and think it through, once you do it, there's no attaching it back :D
I would love to do it and one day I will. I'm getting closer to it, because I already cut my hair (in stages, I didn't want a drastic cut) so my hair is now at BSL and I've had an undercut for years (goes a bit above my ears) so I know I enjoy having a (somewhat) shaved head.
I'm just waiting to get some weight off, because when you shave it all off, everything will be visible, every detail on your face, every extra pound you have.
That's why I love seeing beautiful women with shaved heads, it just brings out all the prettiness :D

Wanderer09
March 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hanne's post should be required reading for anyone considering a drastic short cut, hehe. Especially if you hate layers! I've been considering a short & spiky cut myself, and this made me stop and think. ;)

In2wishin
March 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
At first, I was going to seriously plead with you to not do it. Your hair is so beautiful, I love the slight natural waves. It would be such a shame to lose all that hair due to some crazy urge and then regret it later. But now that I know that you have done something similar in the past, and that you in fact loved it, I can see that if you do in fact decide to cut your hair very short, it would be after great consideration.

I still think you should think it over for just a bit longer. Give it the standard two week rule, and weigh all the pros & cons. Keep hanne jensen's advice close to heart, growing out from a totally buzzed head is brutal. Maybe if you do decide to go for that cut, maybe you can go for a much less extreme option like cutting back to BSL or APL , that way if you decide to grow it out again you can do so gracefully.

The two week rule is a really good one to keep in mind. Also, make sure all clippers, shears, etc. are hidden away if you happen to imbibe a bit at home :hooched: My last drastic change was done after a couple of vodka gimlets and I regretted it the next morning :o

RecklessCharlie
March 29th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Thing is though, a shag is NOTHING like a buzz cut. Just saying. not that I think you should or shouldn't buzz it off but I think there is a massive difference between having hair and having almost none. In terms of social acceptability, how your face will look etc.

Re the minimalism thing, I pixied my hair really short for similar reasons and because I couldn't stand the mess of having shed hairs on the bathroom floor. I discovered even short hair sheds:rolleyes:.

Anyway, of course it's up to you. If you do it, I hope you LOVE it!!
I realize a shag is nothing like a buzz cut, as I said in my post. That was just to illustrate that I don't mind going from one extreme to another :) As far as social acceptability, I really don't give a toss what other people think of my hair, I don't have hair to please others! :D
I imagine that little tiny short hairs everywhere can get a bit annoying, talk about hairs getting stuck in your socks!

The two week rule is a really good one to keep in mind. Also, make sure all clippers, shears, etc. are hidden away if you happen to imbibe a bit at home :hooched: My last drastic change was done after a couple of vodka gimlets and I regretted it the next morning :o
A good lesson you've illustrated there. I do try not to drink and cut!

Charlie, I know the feeling! I don't want you to regret anything, but if you really do want to, go for it. Although wait a bit more and think it through, once you do it, there's no attaching it back :D
I would love to do it and one day I will. I'm getting closer to it, because I already cut my hair (in stages, I didn't want a drastic cut) so my hair is now at BSL and I've had an undercut for years (goes a bit above my ears) so I know I enjoy having a (somewhat) shaved head.
I'm just waiting to get some weight off, because when you shave it all off, everything will be visible, every detail on your face, every extra pound you have.
That's why I love seeing beautiful women with shaved heads, it just brings out all the prettiness :D
You're absolutely right, Drynwhyl, everything shows up with shorter hair, but that's one reason why I'm drawn to it. Its different and I've always been taught to celebrate being different :)

The fact is, it is just hair. I know, I know that phrase is highly irritating to many people and everyone's viewpoint is different on that which is fine. But for me it has always been, just hair. It WILL grow back.
I'm going to enact the two week rule starting today :)
Thanks everyone!

WaitingSoLong
March 30th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Do keep us updated RC!

Rivanariko
March 30th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I have this urge every time I cut DF's hair (about every two weeks)! He's in the military, so has to keep it buzzed very short. Sometimes I'm glad that I started my long hair journey already having long hair that hadn't been much abused, just ignored for years. Other times I'll read about all of the experiments and things that people did with their hair when they were younger and wonder if I might have missed out. I've never cut my hair really short (or short at all, actually. APL is the shortest it's been in my memory) or dyed it a crazy color. Now that I'm heading toward classic, I'm afraid that I'd hate myself for doing something crazy and drastic.

Pretty hair toys and learning new styles seems to keep me happy in the long run, but when I'm standing there holding those clippers it's always "hmmm, I wonder..."

Cupofmilk
March 30th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I had a drastic cut (ok so not as much as buzz from TB) - but I lost a huge amoutn of length.

If I could have the time back again - I wish I'd cut to waist wet and not BSL. So if you have a real urge - you could do it in stages - waist, bsl,s apl and live with each for a couple of weeks and see how you feel.

ericthegreat
March 30th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I realize a shag is nothing like a buzz cut, as I said in my post. That was just to illustrate that I don't mind going from one extreme to another :) As far as social acceptability, I really don't give a toss what other people think of my hair, I don't have hair to please others! :D
I imagine that little tiny short hairs everywhere can get a bit annoying, talk about hairs getting stuck in your socks!

A good lesson you've illustrated there. I do try not to drink and cut!

You're absolutely right, Drynwhyl, everything shows up with shorter hair, but that's one reason why I'm drawn to it. Its different and I've always been taught to celebrate being different :)

The fact is, it is just hair. I know, I know that phrase is highly irritating to many people and everyone's viewpoint is different on that which is fine. But for me it has always been, just hair. It WILL grow back.
I'm going to enact the two week rule starting today :)
Thanks everyone!

I bolded the part that is most important. I see now that you are in fact ready and willing to accept whatever new challenges and maybe even new benefits should you decide to go ahead and do it. I also understand that you have a completely different perspective on long hair than many of the rest of us do, so I should not be imposing the feelings and values that I personally have towards long hair towards you.

So whatever you decide to do with your hair, enjoy it! And post pics to show all of us! ;)

Cinnamon Girl
March 30th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I got a buzz cut about 4 yrs ago. My hair was nearly waist length at the time. I did it because I used to dye my hair black, and wanted to get back to my natural blonde. But when the hair dresser highlighted it, it got knotted and I had to shave it off. I've been growing it ever since and it's only NL now! Pfft!

I must admit that when I have grown my hair in the past, I've also had an overwhelming urge to cut it off! Weird eh?

picklepie
March 30th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I kind of love the fact that so many people are attracted simultaneously to the idea of having very long hair AND a buzz cut. Extremes are fun! It's too bad the two options are so mutually incompatible....

My own story is that I had 1cm buzzed hair on and off for about a decade, and loved it. It's truly low-maintenance-- I'd buzz it over the bathtub once a month or so, then vacuum the tub. I washed it with the same soap I washed my face with. I had an awesome collection of winter hats that looked great on me. There's also something about it that makes you really look at your own face, get comfortable in your own skin, in ways you don't have to when you can just focus on your hair. It was good for my confidence, and helped me develop a sense of myself as beautiful just the way I am.

For me, growing it out is about experiencing really long hair again (had it as a kid), and while I sometimes want to hit fast-forward, the only phase I really hated was the one between about 1-3 inches, when it was just a big fluff. I dealt with that with cloth headbands and scarves and looked pretty cute anyway, I think. It's only just past shoulder length a year in, with shorter layers up to about my upper lip, but it's healthy and bouncy and has no splits or damage as far as I can see.

So ymmv.... I'm not really offering advice, just sharing my experience!

mrsbob
March 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I kind of love the fact that so many people are attracted simultaneously to the idea of having very long hair AND a buzz cut. Extremes are fun! It's too bad the two options are so mutually incompatible....

My own story is that I had 1cm buzzed hair on and off for about a decade, and loved it. It's truly low-maintenance-- I'd buzz it over the bathtub once a month or so, then vacuum the tub. I washed it with the same soap I washed my face with. I had an awesome collection of winter hats that looked great on me. There's also something about it that makes you really look at your own face, get comfortable in your own skin, in ways you don't have to when you can just focus on your hair. It was good for my confidence, and helped me develop a sense of myself as beautiful just the way I am.

For me, growing it out is about experiencing really long hair again (had it as a kid), and while I sometimes want to hit fast-forward, the only phase I really hated was the one between about 1-3 inches, when it was just a big fluff. I dealt with that with cloth headbands and scarves and looked pretty cute anyway, I think. It's only just past shoulder length a year in, with shorter layers up to about my upper lip, but it's healthy and bouncy and has no splits or damage as far as I can see.

So ymmv.... I'm not really offering advice, just sharing my experience!

Love this. Wish I had the guts to shave all of mine off and start from scratch. I love your attitude!

Fingolphin
March 30th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Nooo! RecklessCharlie doooon't! ;) I know I'm supposed to be all, "well, do whatever makes you happy," and all that, but....doooon't! Your hair is one of my long hair inspirations! So you see, it would be psychologically damaging to me, so there's a reason to not cut it. :? But *sigh* I will concede that you can do whatever you want. :)

RecklessCharlie
March 30th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Nooo! RecklessCharlie doooon't! ;) I know I'm supposed to be all, "well, do whatever makes you happy," and all that, but....doooon't! Your hair is one of my long hair inspirations! So you see, it would be psychologically damaging to me, so there's a reason to not cut it. :? But *sigh* I will concede that you can do whatever you want. :)
Don't worry Fingolphin, I'll pay for your therapy if I do buzz it off :p
I still have the urge very strongly but we'll see how things are at the end of the two weeks!

GrowingGlory
March 30th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Might buzz it all off in April.

Fingolphin
March 31st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Realistically, I can totally relate to wanting to change it. I used to change my hair all the time (styles, colors, cuts). I just like change. One of the cool things with long hair is all the different styles you can make with it that you can't with short. Of course, the thing to really think about is the fact than when hair is very long it takes sooooo long to grow back.

RecklessCharlie
April 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Alright, so I've enacted the two week (plus a bit) rule and I have decided. I'm not going to buzz it all off right now. Instead I've set a date at which I will :) When I head to University next autumn!
I feel much better now :)

Fingolphin
April 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Alright, so I've enacted the two week (plus a bit) rule and I have decided. I'm not going to buzz it all off right now. Instead I've set a date at which I will :) When I head to University next autumn!
I feel much better now :)

:wail: Well, I'm still sad that you're gonna cut it, but I'm glad that it will last a little longer at least, and it will still exist in your pics! :)

WaitingSoLong
April 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Congratulations on a well thought out decision and I would love before and after pics when you finally do it.

DakarNick
April 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM
:( Are you going to keep growing until then or maintain your current length?

telegraph64
April 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
:twocents::soapbox:I'll tell you about growing out a buzz cut. You will have about a million layers. It will cost you at least 1 year of your life at neck length to gather about half of all those layers. Then 6 months later, if you're very lucky, you will have to maintain at between shoulder and APL for a while to get just 3 layers out. On your journey you will suddenly want to chop about 3 inches off to get more of the layers out. You will still have layers....It will take you at least 3 years to get near BSL. With layers. That's the layer story.

Now, to the damage story. No matter how careful you are, YOU WILL GET DAMAGE at the awkward lengths. Hair too short to put up, but brushes against collar, getting caught everywhere etc. With your thickness, you'll probably get a raging headache when you can just get your hair in a pony. I know I did. Your canopy is the last layer to grow out. It will be FRIED!

Yes, you will save a fortune in products. But, You will also freeze in the winter and fry in the summer. One month after you buzz, you'll sit down and cry. You will hate the sight of yourself. You will be very lucky if you are at BSL 5 years after a buzz no matter how fast your hair grows.

It's been 8 years since I buzzed and I'm still fighting a fried canopy. I'm only at BSL+.

Of course, it's your head and you can do what you want.

If you really want a change, have you considered trimming to hip length?

If you are on a minimalist kick, long hair is actually easier and cheaper to maintain.

This is a fantastic post. ;)

Loepsie
April 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I'd love to see some before/after pictures when you do it, please share =)

MissCoco
April 15th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Wow, how did I miss this thread until now? Anyway... I know the decision has been made, but I was quite shocked to hear about such beautiful, long waves being cut off. ;) Oh well, what's decided is decided! Hope you'll enjoy the results, RC! :D

Alun
April 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
No, don't do it.

I always associate guys with buzz cuts with neo-nazi skinheads, but I suppose that just shows my age. One more reason not to do it, though.

I've never been tempted to cut my hair off. Ever. Makes it hard to relate.

long&blonde
April 15th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thank you Hanne for your post! From one eternally tempted by buzz cuts too. Nothing inbetween, but: buzzcuts. Loved what you said about being a minimalist; that hit home with me. Sincere thanks. Your post should be bookmarked!

Karmi
April 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I think your hair is gorgeous, @RecklessCharlie, but it is very bold of you to go through with buzzing it all off and I hope you share with us some photos, during and after!

txhedgehog
April 15th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I've been tempted, but find that wearing my hair in a bun or with a scarf over it for a few days cures me of that urge pretty quickly after a few glimpses in the mirror without my hair showing after work. : shudders :

AuburnTresses
April 16th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I never wanted a buzz in the first place, but now I definitely don't want one! What a scary prospect!

CurlAhead
April 17th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Omg, I also have an urge to shave it all away, but it might be even more painful to grow it out than dealing with it in this state......:(

gthlvrmx
March 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
thank you for that lovely post about the buzz cut, convinced me a little. But. Still. I have this urge

Miss Catrina
March 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. A minimum amount of hair does not mean minimalist. Maintaining a short cut or getting layers cut out would be at the very least several trips to the salon, not to mention any number of products and accessories needed to handle "the awkward stage".

Joliebaby
March 11th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I know this is an old thread... but I think people keep having these urges, hehe ;)

I have shaved my hair once and buzzed another time and my hair was never damaged from it. I don't understand how growing out a buzz cut would automatically mean damaged layers??Of course the canopy is always the most susceptible to damage, but that reasoning just doesn't make sense.

Also I disagree that long hair is always more minimalist. I'm a minimalist (in home size, furnishings, clothing, make-up, belongings..) and short hair feels pretty minimalist for me. Not necessarily a buzz cut, but the kind that you cut when fancy strikes and then let grow out for months or a year. So no regular trips to salon or even self-cuts factor in.

The longer my hair has been the less minimalist it has been. The exception is that damaged shorter hair is more maintenance than longer healthy, virgin hair.
I think many different things factor in. I never ever style my hair in any way, it's just wash and go. I can cut my own hair and I never really felt any of the short stages were awkward -just shortWhen it's long it's in my way more, and I try to do buns and up-do's which are not even working well at waist length because my hair is so thick. It also takes a LONG time to dry. Shorter hair I can literally forget about.

Though I'm a minimalist I still really love having long hair and so to make it as simple as possible I quit dyeing, trim myself, don't do fancy treatments, wash once or twice a week.. so it doesn't get overwhelming and complicated.

So if one is after minimalism, you could just try simplifying everything else in your hair care routine first.

I'm not encouraging anyone to buzz cut, though I'm glad I shaved my head that one time, to know how it feels and to have that experience. I loved it when it was like 1/4" and soft as kitten, but when it was a few inches it was just plain boring to me. I had planned on quitting dyeing then, but during this period I felt so boring and thought I looked like a boy that I caved in. Interestingly the shaved head looked very pretty and I got tons of compliments on it and my head shape! I was very tempted to keep it for a while but knowing how long it would take to grow out, I was anxious to get started in growing.. And growing it out DOES take a long time, the first year is loooong! And second too..

So I don't plan on ever doing it again. Last summer I chopped to chin but that was as short I could go, and I really really missed my long hair for some time before I got used to it.
My main goal now is to have all virgin hair and the second is grow longer.

melusine963
March 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM

This sounds actually scary. It's funny how people always assume that long hair takes more time and effort to maintain than short hair does. I actually save a ton of time and money thanks to stretching my washes, cutting out useless (and damaging) products, wearing quick updos that stay tidy all day and braiding at night so that detangling is never a chore. I can't see myself ever going back.

Snippety
May 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
I have got a terrible urge to buzz at the moment. In my mind it will be cleaner, more androgynous, more cyber-punk and so much less hassle. I don't style my hair (just plait) and have had waist length or longer for around 9 years now. Just so bored with myself and feeling mumsy and frumpy and too girly ! Implementing the 2 week rule and listening to my 4 year okd who says "Don't Poppy !! You'll look like a freak ! I want you to look the same for ever ! You look perfect to me !" Awwwww :p

This thread is excellent to read with this urge. Lots of good advice. Very interesting, as someone says, that some people with long hair get the urge to shave it off. I am such an all or nothing kind of person but had never thought of it in that way :)

spookyghost
May 22nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Wow-I cant believe how many people think about, some even do, getting their head buzzed! I know there are alot of people who like short hair but I never thought anyone would want a buzz. I admire everyone who even think about it let alone do it!:) I have never faltered in my life of ever wanting anything but long hair. I have had short hair in high school but that was when I never even thought about long hair. Since high school I have been growing my hair. Im 44 now and even though you would think I'd have waist hair by now I dont. Too many hairdressers that dont only trim the ends like I ask and a couple three inch or four inch trims to get rid of damage. Right now if someone offered me a boat load of money to cut my hair really short, I dont know if I would.

You are very very brave. Good luck in your decision and I hope you are happy with it!

seven77
May 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
I buzzed my head once.. then realized how funky my head is shaped! LOL I wore hats for quite awhile! NEVER again!
Make sure you have a nicely shaped round melon before shaving! ;)

ratgirldjh
May 22nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
I totally understand the wanting to get a buzz cut.

For several years every time my hair got to around chin length (or something shorter) I would buzz it to anywhere from 1/2" to 1". I just did it myself with the electric trimmer.

Finally I got tired of doing this or my trimmer broke (can't remember) and just decided to let it grow.

Last summer my hair had finally made it to just a few inches from waist after taking several years to cut off old permanent color.

I got bored and cut it in a chin length bob! At first I loved it but when it got a little bit longer it was too short to put up off my neck and too long to be comfortable in the heat! It drove me crazy.

Finally 1 year later it is a little longer than shoulder length and I'm able to put it up in a bun and pin the nape hairs up.

AND YES! I totally agree that long hair is much easier to take care of! When mine was very short of course it was easy but when it would grow even just a few inches long it suddenly had to be styled to look decent. And since I am no good at styling hair mine always looked a mess!

Oh and it must be some kind of addiction for me because I can't even look at a hair trimmer without wanting to buzz it again.... be warned ;)

jacqueline101
May 22nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't buzz it it will take a lot of effort to get back what you lost.

long&blonde
May 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Wow, Hanne, what an awesome post.
I too regularly lust for a buzzcut. Nothing inbetween;but buzzed.
I think your post should be titled "Required reading if thinking of a buzzcut" and listed with all the basic info.on LHC:Forever!

spookyghost
May 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
I buzzed my head once.. then realized how funky my head is shaped! LOL I wore hats for quite awhile! NEVER again!
Make sure you have a nicely shaped round melon before shaving! ;)

Funny you should say that because my husband and son are in the military reserves and I think thats the only dislike some of them, military men in general, have-having a funky shaped head!:lol:

summergreen
May 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
" I want you to look the same for ever ! You look perfect to me !" Awwwww :p

Ohhhhhh do write that down so that you never forget they said it!

anime_length
May 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
@ hanne jensen

I think my heart just broke a little for you. :(

TheLionKing
May 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
It would be cool to buzz it just to grow it out but I don;t think I would ever do it. Too formal and boring for my tastes