PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Looking for the Impossible...

HintOfMint
March 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I've decided to go back to cones for now because the winter dryness is killing my hair, and even though Spring is coming, I feel there is no end in sight and I would like to be prepared at least for next Winter.

Basically, nothing gets my hair smooth like cones in the winter, not even oils. My canopy had been tangling like mad and eventually, the only thing that got it to calm down is John Frieda Frizz Ease serum.

However, I remember this stuff. This builds up like mad on me. I've looked for water soluble cones, but what I've found comes with glycerin in the formula, and that makes my hair even worse when it's so dry. I have a few products with glycerin that I've tried this Winter, and when I put it on, my hair dries out and tangles so badly I just want to shave it all off! And aloe is too residue-y on my hair if it's too high in the ingredients list.

So my mission is to find a serum that has cones that do not build up, without glycerin and without aloe and without alcohol (the drying kind, not the fatty alcohol kind). Is this even possible???

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I use cones and they help my hair, as long as you clarify every now and again all is good.

Hair is dead at the end of the day, so we use products like we use make up to make the most of what we have. If cones make your hair look nice then go for it, they are not evil!

Serums I use all the time I like CHI infusion, Paul Mitchels skinny serum and frizz ease I have no problem with them. I clarify once a fortnight and shampoo once a week, with CO washes inbetween.

Firefox7275
March 28th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Might be worth hunting for a list on the naturallycurly.com forums - people are definitely using different products for different seasons and thus relative humidities. Any that are 'curly girl' compliant will be cone-free or contain water-soluble cones only. But surely if humidity is a problem then the water vapour would be able to penetrate a water-soluble cone layer or the product would be able to attract water from your hair like a humectant?

MissEarlGrey
March 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I know Aveda has a great cone serum that I used to use for getting TONS of slip: http://www.aveda.com/product/CATEGORY14959/PROD5923/Styling/Smooth_Straight/index.tmpl

HintOfMint
March 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I use cones and they help my hair, as long as you clarify every now and again all is good.

Hair is dead at the end of the day, so we use products like we use make up to make the most of what we have. If cones make your hair look nice then go for it, they are not evil!

Oh trust me, I'm all for cones, I never thought they were evil, it's the fact that the ends of my hair don't like sulfate shampoos. From what I've experienced, cones build up with my preferred wash method, CWC, and I prefer to shampoo the ends of my hair as little as possible.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've been looking in the forums at naturally curly and really only found serums that, if water soluble, had some sort of humectant in them, which makes my hair worse in this weather. Maybe I'll create an account there so I can ask the same question.

Also, I have some John Frieda Frizz Ease, notoriously coney, and yes, it's the same product that gave me buildup. Do you think if I mixed it with coconut oil or something that it wouldn't stick to my hair so much and might wash out with my conditioner?

Firefox7275
March 28th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Oh trust me, I'm all for cones, I never thought they were evil, it's the fact that the ends of my hair don't like sulfate shampoos. From what I've experienced, cones build up with my preferred wash method, CWC, and I prefer to shampoo the ends of my hair as little as possible.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've been looking in the forums at naturally curly and really only found serums that, if water soluble, had some sort of humectant in them, which makes my hair worse in this weather. Maybe I'll create an account there so I can ask the same question.

Also, I have some John Frieda Frizz Ease, notoriously coney, and yes, it's the same product that gave me buildup. Do you think if I mixed it with coconut oil or something that it wouldn't stick to my hair so much and might wash out with my conditioner?

I don't think cones are evil either, I want to cut back on sulphates so cones need to go. However I also realise cones have not given me happy hair, tho admittedly they have given me happier hair than some alternatives! Seems to me using cones has been covering up for deficiencies elsewhere in my routine - mostly expecting my curls to behave like straight hair by force of will! :p

If you don't find the answer at NC, I suspect there might not be such a product on the market. If that is the case it may well be impossible to formulate a soluble cone serum without humectants - I struggle to believe companies have not researched that. Found this in the archive
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-21152.html
Good luck and please do post back if you find an answer. :)

BrightEyes7
March 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-oils-and-serums/smooth-n-shine-polishing-silk-n-sleek-heat-protect-straighten-polish

I love this stuff... I don't recall the exact ingredient list but I've never had issues with build-up. It's like $5 at Wal-Mart in the african american hair care section.

I also like the CHI silk infusion serum... but that is a little pricey!

ETA: I don't know if that link works... It's Smooth 'N Shine Polishing - Silk 'N Sleek Heat Protect Straighten Polish. Just google that and you'll find what I'm talking about.