PDA

View Full Version : Horrible shedding if I don't wash daily

LadyInBlack
March 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
So I tried stretching washes to every other day...I have tried this before and I get the same result each time. I get shedding of scary proportions when I do wash. If I wash daily, hardly any hair comes out at all. If I wash every other day, it falls out in huge clumps. Does this happen to anyone else?

nazzooyzo
March 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM
yeah ever since i tried stretching my washes my hair falls out more too! and my scalp has got so dry. definitely washing it everyday again

lastnite
March 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM
it's probably just hairs that fell out that didn't fall out since you didn't wash. when you wash the second day does it look like 2 days worth of hairs?

LadyInBlack
March 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM
No, it looks like way way more hair than 2 days worth. That is what worries me. I hardly shed at all when I wash daily, so even that much hair doubled would not be a worry. This is so much more.

Mesmerise
March 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM
In that case, just don't try stretching your washes! If you're concerned about frequent shampooing, then try using a milder shampoo and diluting it with water. There's nothing intrinsically wrong about shampooing every day if it works for you!

Firefox7275
March 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
No, it looks like way way more hair than 2 days worth. That is what worries me. I hardly shed at all when I wash daily, so even that much hair doubled would not be a worry. This is so much more.

A normal daily shed is apparently between 100 and 200 hairs, perhaps you are losing more during re-styling or without noticing somehow? Otherwise, assuming normal growth, you'd end up with progressively more hair! Maybe try a sulphate-free shampoo? Do you have any scalp issues (dry/ greasy/ eczema/ dandruff) that your shampoo might be impacting on?

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 06:49 AM
it's probably just hairs that fell out that didn't fall out since you didn't wash. when you wash the second day does it look like 2 days worth of hairs? i have to second this comment, although it might not seem you are not shedding much. Washing more frequent should have no effect on what rate your hair sheds.

spidermom
March 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
You can wash it every day; no problem. I can recommend CWC with diluted shampoo to scalp area only.

x0h_bother
March 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Me too, which is why I wash every day.

LadyInBlack
March 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Do you have any scalp issues (dry/ greasy/ eczema/ dandruff) that your shampoo might be impacting on?

Possibly, yes. When I stretch washes my scalp burns and itches horribly. After a few weeks I usually go back to washing daily because of this and the shedding....I guess for now it is daily washing until I find a shampoo that might reduce this some.

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Just a thought have you tried CO washing 6 days and a shampoo once a week. This is my routine and it works well.

KellyGormley
March 28th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I get the same thing, I've just managed to get to washing every other day any more than that and I'm losing handfuls of hair in the shower.

LadyInBlack
March 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Just a thought have you tried CO washing 6 days and a shampoo once a week. This is my routine and it works well.

I have never tried that. What conditioner would you recommend?

LoversLullaby
March 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I hope you don't mind if I answer anyways. Lighter conditioners work best for CO washing, such as VO5, White Rain, and Suave. Other conditioners can work well too, but the lighter ones are the most cleansing. :)

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
well my hair just over a week ago was dry and I was shampooing everyday. I got me a big bottle of tresemme moisture and now my hair is in lovely condition, the ends are no longer dry and my shed has decreased. A lot use coneless conditioners.

If your in the USA try the Suave I think its called a lot use this or if your a UKer like me try the cheapest brands boots, superdrug, asdas the 99p ones there all coneless. Dont use an expensive one as you will use a lot!

What I do is wet hair, apply conditioner until my entire head is covered and really massage it in, this will take 2 handfuls. Dont worry your hair will not go greasy! then apply handfuls to the length and use one of those clips that looks like a claw and up it goes.

Leave it on for 3 minutes minimum, more if your in no hurry. Then unclip it and massage again for a minute and then rinse and rinse and rinse! this is all I do, no second conditioner, sometimes I use a ACV rinse.

You will notice the difference from first wash, though some go throu a transition stage where their hair may go greasy but mine never did. The secret is to make sure you massage in well and rinse really well!

NouvelleNymphe2
March 29th, 2011, 07:51 AM
it's probably just hairs that fell out that didn't fall out since you didn't wash. when you wash the second day does it look like 2 days worth of hairs?

I third this. I am experiencing a bit more shedding while combing after my wash (every 4th day), but nothing excessive. I attribute it to the above comment. That it is just what would have naturally fell out over the course of the past 4 days, but much less actually. I normally lose about 10 hairs in the sink as I comb out and put my hair up for the day (yes I count them). When I stretch washes I lose about 20 in the sink, and then on the in-between days I lose just a handful (5ish) when i comb and put it up. All-in-all I think it balances out, and I'm just keep telling myself not to freak out :), that this is healthier for my hair. My hair is so nice and conditioned looking and feeling. I'm not going to go back to washing every other day. I'm going to wait this one out, and see if my hair adjusts and finds a nice balance with washing only once a week. I know it will :). It already looks so much healthier. Also, I totally stopped combing when wet. I wait until it's almost dry or completely dry and I find I get MUCH less shedding.

However, I will say if you experience an access of shedding, by all means wash! :)

LadyInBlack
March 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the great advice!