PDA

View Full Version : Question About Scalp Massaging

MoonlightShadow
March 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I know it might be an obvious answer for some/most people, but i'm still not sure, so i want to hear from other people :o...umm....does scalp massage really increase growth?? i've heard that it does, but then i've heard many other people say that it doesn't.

Mesmerise
March 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I don't know if there's a YES or NO answer to this!

You see, there are soo many variables that affect hair growth.

Let's say your hair grows at a pretty average rate, but you're unhealthy, don't get enough exercise, don't eat well, don't get enough sleep etc. etc. Now, let's say you were to start scalp massage... and your hair growth speeds up! You think, "wow, scalp massage speeds up hair growth" BUT it may just be that due to your unhealthy lifestyle, you're not getting good enough circulation (or whatever), and so your hair growth is naturally slower than it would be if you were to be healthier overall. (The same thing could be said for taking vitamins for hair growth, or something else for hair growth...).

I guess what I mean is, if you are already healthy, get plenty of exercise, drink enough water (in other words, do all the right stuff), scalp massage may not increase your hair growth rate, because everything's already good!

This isn't to say you shouldn't try scalp massage, as it's a nice thing to do, but don't pin your hopes on it making your hair growth speed up. It seems to work for some people, and for others there's no real difference (and this is something I've heard of for literally every method people use to increase their hair growth!).

MoonlightShadow
March 27th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I don't know if there's a YES or NO answer to this!

You see, there are soo many variables that affect hair growth.

Let's say your hair grows at a pretty average rate, but you're unhealthy, don't get enough exercise, don't eat well, don't get enough sleep etc. etc. Now, let's say you were to start scalp massage... and your hair growth speeds up! You think, "wow, scalp massage speeds up hair growth" BUT it may just be that due to your unhealthy lifestyle, you're not getting good enough circulation (or whatever), and so your hair growth is naturally slower than it would be if you were to be healthier overall. (The same thing could be said for taking vitamins for hair growth, or something else for hair growth...).

I guess what I mean is, if you are already healthy, get plenty of exercise, drink enough water (in other words, do all the right stuff), scalp massage may not increase your hair growth rate, because everything's already good!

This isn't to say you shouldn't try scalp massage, as it's a nice thing to do, but don't pin your hopes on it making your hair growth speed up. It seems to work for some people, and for others there's no real difference (and this is something I've heard of for literally every method people use to increase their hair growth!).
that makes alot of sense. i guess there really is no way to be sure. thank you for your answer :)

krissykins
March 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I've never tried scalp massage alone for hair growth (I've only ever tried it with castor oil or when I'm massaging in my conditioner), but it does feel nice even if it doesn't do much for growth. :D

Some have reported that their scalps produce more oil when they do scalp massages, so keep that in mind. (It's possible that's not the sole reason why their scalp is producing more oil)