PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Rebonding.. Plz Help

Rajdeep
March 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hello all,

I am thinking of doing rebonding... but i want to ask few things about it -

1. Can rebonding be done on short hairs? ( 1.5 - 2 inch )
2. For example - after rebonding my hairs and if i dont like it... then if i clean shave my head, will my natural hairs will grow as normal? will it affect future growth?

I read on many sites thats its not safe to do rebonding but one of my friend did it year back... i asked him he is not facing any problem... i just like his rebonded hair... so i m thinking of doing it.. he just told me u have to take extra care after doing it...

Thanks..

nellreno
March 27th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Could you possibly explain what you mean by rebonding?

Firefox7275
March 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Welcome! I don't think you will find many people who think chemical straightening is a good idea on this forum as it's for people who want to grow longer healthier hair. There are risks inherent in any chemical process as the stylist might make a mistake in the dilutions or you might be allergic to the chemicals. AFAIK rebonding will only affect future growth if your scalp becomes damaged.

jojo
March 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
what is rebonding? is this extentions?

x0h_bother
March 27th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Welcome! I don't think you will find many people who think chemical straightening is a good idea on this forum as it's for people who want to grow longer healthier hair. There are risks inherent in any chemical process as the stylist might make a mistake in the dilutions or you might be allergic to the chemicals. AFAIK rebonding will only affect future growth if your scalp becomes damaged.
Actually OP, I find the climate of LHC to be accepting of any process you would like to do for your hair as long as you are comfortable with it and have given it some thought.

Which form are you interested in: chemical relaxers, Japanese hair straightening, or Brazillian hair straightening? There are threads talking about these that may be helpful to you.

Rajdeep
March 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Not able to find any particular threads....
can anyone answer my question technically... :cheese:

Actually OP, I find the climate of LHC to be accepting of any process you would like to do for your hair as long as you are comfortable with it and have given it some thought.

Which form are you interested in: chemical relaxers, Japanese hair straightening, or Brazillian hair straightening? There are threads talking about these that may be helpful to you.

Firefox7275
March 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM

:( I didn't say chemical straightening wouldn't be accepted on LHC, I said you wouldn't find many who'd think it a good idea.

AnnaJamila
March 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Oh, watch out that you don't get the one that has formaldahyde in it! I think the ones that usually contain that are the brazilian ones; they do make some kinds without it, though, so look out for that!

Any kind of chemical straightening will damage the hair to some extent, but I don't think that you'll really have to worry about that at your length. And, anyway, if you don't like it just buzz it off and grow it back!

Mesmerise
March 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hello all,

I am thinking of doing rebonding... but i want to ask few things about it -

1. Can rebonding be done on short hairs? ( 1.5 - 2 inch )
2. For example - after rebonding my hairs and if i dont like it... then if i clean shave my head, will my natural hairs will grow as normal? will it affect future growth?

I read on many sites thats its not safe to do rebonding but one of my friend did it year back... i asked him he is not facing any problem... i just like his rebonded hair... so i m thinking of doing it.. he just told me u have to take extra care after doing it...

Thanks..

1. I'm not sure how long your hair needs to be, but I'd assume it could be done on short hair.

2. Yes, if you shave your head your hair will grow back absolutely normally.

I think the ONLY case where your hair wouldn't grow back normally is if you had some chemical damage to your scalp which caused scarring or whatever... however, I have not heard of this happening (still you may want to research this... and ensure your skin doesn't react badly with anything you put on your hair).

x0h_bother
March 27th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Not able to find any particular threads....
can anyone answer my question technically... :cheese:
1. Not sure- it also depends on the type of process you are doing, hence the added questions about what type of process you would like to do

2. From what I read, with straightening, the regrowth should be the same as your natural texture, but I'm not sure about whether shaving your head changes the natural texture.
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11030

And for your reference, I'm sure there are more as well:
Brazillian http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-55896.html
Japenese
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-31387.html
Rebonding
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11030
Chemical
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-29069.html

Fufu
March 28th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I can help with hair rebonding :)

Hair rebonding is a chemical hair treatment that straightens your hair to make it look shiny and sleek as well. In another words it is also called straightening but in Asian countries, we called it as rebonding.

Hair rebonding are usually for girls who wants very stick straight hair and doesn't want any waves in their hair.

Currently, in Asian countries, we have soft rebonding. Hair will be straight, but it's more natural straight than being poker straight.

There are a few reputable brands that one can do rebonding, this is usually done in hair salons.

The most recommended brand is Shiseido, followed by Loreal and Wella.

Rebonding process in total takes about 2 hours 30 minutes to 5 hours depending on the length of your hair. Usually people only do rebonding from shoulder hair length onwards because there is crimping part with straightening ion.

Rebonding after care should be treated like any hair chemical processes on your hair, since there's heat involved. If one doesn't like their rebonding, and if you clean shave your head, your hair will be back as your own natural hair. or for example, if you have a BSL hair length and you rebond your hair, after that you don't fancy your straight hair and decided to cut your hair till shoulder, the new hair that you grow will be your natural hair already since the rebonded hair has been cut off.

I rebonded my hair twice before, but then i have rather straight hair already, so come to think about it, I don't even know why I rebond my hair in the first place >_<

After rebonding and if you will like to do hair colouring or henna, wait at least 2 weeks before proceeding with any other chemical treatments.

Don'ts after hair rebonding
- no washing for hair for 24 hours or 48 hours, depending on what hairdresser tells you
- no chemical treatments on hair, includes henna, hair colouring, perming on your hair for best in my opinion for at least 1 month
- no swimming, as the chlorine in the pool will affect your rebonded hair
- do not tie your hair tightly as it will cause bends, which means no braiding at all as well for at least 1 month to 2 months, but with new soft rebonding, I'm not too sure about it now.

More information on hair rebonding.

http://www.indiaparenting.com/beauty/article.cgi?art_id=189&sec_id=1

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 06:51 AM
^^ thank you for the explaination.

Rajdeep
March 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
thanks a lot to everyone for replying....

the only reason i m thinking of rebonding is because my natural hair looks very dry ( i will post some pic soon ) they look good when they are wet... If anyone can help me out in fixing my dry hairs by using safe stuff, then i m ready to forget abt rebonding...

ETA:
thanks for great info Fufu... the saloon i go to uses Wella product... never heard abt Shiseido

Coan-Teen
March 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM
thanks a lot to everyone for replying....

the only reason i m thinking of rebonding is because my natural hair looks very dry ( i will post some pic soon ) they look good when they are wet... If anyone can help me out in fixing my dry hairs by using safe stuff, then i m ready to forget abt rebonding...

Have you looked into oiling your hair or using a leave-in conditioner? Either of these methods may help with your dryness issues. Have you tried other methods to help your hair retain moisture?

Honestly I'm not sure how rebonding would hold up on such a short length, not because it couldn't be rebonded, but because regrowth would be more obvious. For instance, assuming your hair grows the average 0.5 inches in a month, if your hair were shoulder length, in six months you'd only have three inches of new growth, which could conceivably blend in. But with 1.5 inches of hair, in two months, the new growth will be clearly visible.

Rajdeep
March 28th, 2011, 05:03 PM
yes i do oiling.. and i use Wella Hydrate Shampoo & Conditioner...
and i dont know wat other methods u talking about?

Have you looked into oiling your hair or using a leave-in conditioner? Either of these methods may help with your dryness issues. Have you tried other methods to help your hair retain moisture?

Honestly I'm not sure how rebonding would hold up on such a short length, not because it couldn't be rebonded, but because regrowth would be more obvious. For instance, assuming your hair grows the average 0.5 inches in a month, if your hair were shoulder length, in six months you'd only have three inches of new growth, which could conceivably blend in. But with 1.5 inches of hair, in two months, the new growth will be clearly visible.

ETA:
btw wat is leave-in conditioner? ( is it different from normal conditioner )

Coan-Teen
March 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
yes i do oiling.. and i use Wella Hydrate Shampoo & Conditioner...
and i dont know wat other methods u talking about?

I wasn't asking specifically. I was essentially asking what your hair care routine is. By knowing what you already do, members might be able to suggest alternatives.

A leave-in conditioner is specifically designed to help hair stay moist through out the day. It's considered a protective treatment, I think. Here's a link (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18340) to some basic info on the differences between regular conditioner and leave-ins.

Debra83
March 28th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Never heard of rebonding before now. Good luck with your choices!

Rajdeep
March 29th, 2011, 12:06 AM
yes i use a spray on wet hair after washing and using normal conditioner.... i didn't know that's called leave-in conditioner.. right now i m using hydrate finish wella... just started to use this from this month... but i have to use this daily to make my hair look little better...

and one thing, if someday i dont wash my hair, and just wet them, they look a lot better even after they r dry... so on alternative days i wash my hair..

I wasn't asking specifically. I was essentially asking what your hair care routine is. By knowing what you already do, members might be able to suggest alternatives.

A leave-in conditioner is specifically designed to help hair stay moist through out the day. It's considered a protective treatment, I think. Here's a link (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18340) to some basic info on the differences between regular conditioner and leave-ins.

Fufu
March 29th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Rajdeep: Your most welcome :) Shiseido is a Japanese brand for cosmetics, skin care and hair care products. For asians, especially ladies who did chemical treatments to their hair like hair colouring or even perm, they will highly recommend Shiseido rebonding as it is the most suitable for this type of chemically processed hair.

if your hair is dry, I wouldn't recommend rebonding, although there are ladies that went for rebonding and have soft and silky hair after that but I wouldn't risk it as rebonding process not only you need to choose the right brand to use for your hair, the skill of the hairstylist is very important too. There are people who got their burnt during the heat crimping part.

I will recommend a good hair masking + oiling for dry hair, it will help :)

Rebonding is unnecessary if you are not looking for very straight hair.

Rajdeep
March 29th, 2011, 01:18 AM
hmm whats perm? never heard abt it.. just googled and found its also some chemical treatment i guess for making hair thicker.. but still not sure..

and btw what is - hair masking ?

Rajdeep: Your most welcome :) Shiseido is a Japanese brand for cosmetics, skin care and hair care products. For asians, especially ladies who did chemical treatments to their hair like hair colouring or even perm, they will highly recommend Shiseido rebonding as it is the most suitable for this type of chemically processed hair.

if your hair is dry, I wouldn't recommend rebonding, although there are ladies that went for rebonding and have soft and silky hair after that but I wouldn't risk it as rebonding process not only you need to choose the right brand to use for your hair, the skill of the hairstylist is very important too. There are people who got their burnt during the heat crimping part.

I will recommend a good hair masking + oiling for dry hair, it will help :)

Rebonding is unnecessary if you are not looking for very straight hair.

varintalonguard
March 29th, 2011, 01:55 AM
A perm is for making your hair curly. I wouldn't recommend it for dry hair as it made my father's hair very porous and afro-ish when he got one done years ago and he has very strong hair.

A hair mask is a product or mixture that you place on your hair and let set so that it absorbs the moisture/color/protein that you want your hair to have. You can buy them in stores or look up recipes for do it yourself ones online. There should be a SMT threat on the forum that you may want to check out.

Fufu
March 29th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Rajdeep: As what varintalonguard said, hair perming is to make your hair curl, there are japanese perm, ceramic perm, digital perm but the results is to make your hair curly :) They are all chemical treatments using heat. There are also cold perms that are not using heat.

Hair masking is doing hair mask for your hair, it's the same like doing facial masking for your face, but instead you do it for your hair. There are quite a number of hair brands that sell hair mask, one of them I'm using is Kerastase hair mask for hair-cloured to maintain the colour being vibrant and moisturizes the hair.

Usually frequency of hair mask is once a week after shampooing the hair and apply the hair mask from ear onwards to your hair ends and leave it on for 10 minutes to 15 minutes and rinse them off with lukewarm water.

Rajdeep
March 29th, 2011, 09:50 AM
mask = conditioner?

on my conditioner its written hydro mask

Rajdeep: As what varintalonguard said, hair perming is to make your hair curl, there are japanese perm, ceramic perm, digital perm but the results is to make your hair curly :) They are all chemical treatments using heat. There are also cold perms that are not using heat.

Hair masking is doing hair mask for your hair, it's the same like doing facial masking for your face, but instead you do it for your hair. There are quite a number of hair brands that sell hair mask, one of them I'm using is Kerastase hair mask for hair-cloured to maintain the colour being vibrant and moisturizes the hair.

Usually frequency of hair mask is once a week after shampooing the hair and apply the hair mask from ear onwards to your hair ends and leave it on for 10 minutes to 15 minutes and rinse them off with lukewarm water.

Fufu
March 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Conditioner is not really hair mask, you could be using mask all this time as a conditioner which is fine if your hair feels okay.

Rajdeep
March 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
hmm i am using this - http://www.lookfantastic.com/Images/Products/WSP0102f.jpg

Conditioner is not really hair mask, you could be using mask all this time as a conditioner which is fine if your hair feels okay.

Fufu
March 29th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Looks like hair mask to me. If your hair is reacting okay to this product, it is fine to use. Hair mask is a treatment product for hair, there are people who use hair mask on hair as conditioner but they usually apply lesser amount than conditioner.

Rajdeep
March 30th, 2011, 08:01 AM
hmm ok thanks for the info.. but i am using this product from past 1 year... but dryness is still there...

these days i m trying new thing that seems to be working...

i put oil and then just wet my hair not shampoo... that way my hair doesnt look dry becoz little oil remains on my hair... but when i touch my hair my hands get lil oily i hate that :eyebrows:

Looks like hair mask to me. If your hair is reacting okay to this product, it is fine to use. Hair mask is a treatment product for hair, there are people who use hair mask on hair as conditioner but they usually apply lesser amount than conditioner.

Gvnagitlvgei
March 30th, 2011, 08:37 AM
You must deep moisturize frequently, esp. if you use heat. I'd like to get one someday.