PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this on my hair?

julliams
March 27th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I got this Nutrimetics product from a friend called Nutri-Rich Moisturising Body Satin enriched with Apricot Kernel Oil. It's in a spray can. I googled most of the ingredients and it looks like it might be ok for my hair.

I must confess I did spray some onto my palms and worked it through and so far so good.

From the list of ingredients, is there anything that you can see that is no good for hair?

Cyclomethicone, Butane, Prunis Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Propane, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tilia Cordata Flower Extract, Tocopherol, Glycine Soja (Soybean Oil), Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Beta-Carotene, Isopropyl Myristate, Benzophenone-3, Propylparaben, Fragrance, Citral, Geraniol, Red 17 (C1 26100) [IL 1173-4]

I'm probably a little crazy for going ahead and trying it but honestly it feels good and I have enough body moisturising stuff to last me until next year.

What do you think?

Jenn of Pence
March 27th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm not the ingredients expert or anything, but it looks reasonable as far as I can tell. I definitely understand the sentiment, though...I have tons of body stuff I wish I could make use of on my hair!

kitten1986
March 27th, 2011, 03:00 PM
ok I have exactly that product and LOVE the smell and the feel on my skin and I had EXACTLY the same thought as you ;)... but I sprayed it into my hair once and there was something in the areosol that my hair didnt like, and it took exactly 12 washes to get it out!!!!! It was an absolute nightmare, I had my med school interview the next day and my hair looked absolutely horrible and there was nothing I could do to make it look normal. It was a weird sort of oily look but the hair was stiff and stuck together if that makes sense, and everyone that saw me asked me what happened to my hair, so it was VERY noticable that there was something weird going on hahahaha, so I washed my hair 12 times in one night to get it out, I even put clarifying shampoo in and left it there for 20 mins to soak! luckily my hair survived and managed to look presentable for my interview!!

I would suggest you spray it onto palms first then work it through that way...

julliams
March 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Yes that's exactly how I did it - sprayed it into my palms, rubbed them together and them just put it through my hair like I do with any oils. I haven't had an issue but then I have medium/coarse hair so maybe it's just something as simple as that.

morecowbell
March 28th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Just chiming in here, they sell a product with very similar ingredients for hair, I have it in my cupboard and have been meaning to break it out again. They're called "sheen spray, hair sheen, oil sheen, etc" and are mostly marketed to African Americans because AA hair requires more moisture and oiling.
It's very heavy and a little bit goes a long way (like you said, julliams, it's very much like an oil). Another way you might try using it is to spritz a teeny bit onto your brush (or comb) and brush through your hair, I do this upside down because it can look greasy if I use too much.
It's a great product for taming frizzies as long as you're okay with 'cones. :)

slz
March 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm surprised something with cyclomethicone as the first ingredient might be sold as a body product - talk about pore clogging :O .I wouldn't use it on my skin anyway, not on my hair neither cause even for hair I thing silicones as as first ingredient is too much, but YMMV.

RitaPG
March 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I don't like the idea of using products on my hair that contain butane and propane. Aren't those toxic and *gasp* flammable? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert on ingredient lists.

morecowbell
March 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I don't like the idea of using products on my hair that contain butane and propane. Aren't those toxic and *gasp* flammable? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert on ingredient lists.

They sure are flammable, but hairspray tends to use the same propellants, so it's not any more dangerous than that. :) Of course, breathing the stuff in on a regular basis is probably not the best for health...