PDA

View Full Version : S&D when the split is high up on the hair

ElusiveMuse
March 27th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Can anyone share their techniques for doing S&D when the splits are high up on the hair? I can find them pretty well when they're near the ends but it's really hard to find them when they go up higher! I have a lot of baby hairs that will stick out when I twist strands because they're new growth so that method doesn't work, plus some layering. My hair is wavy so it's really hard to tell what's going on in the length.

skyblue
March 27th, 2011, 04:34 AM
good question! I have splits every where! I get the ones I can reach or see but I try to not worry so much about what I may miss

dinnee
March 27th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I section of my hair and go through it strand by strand... It's a lot of work, and I don't do my entire head every time. I just do a little bit every (other) day.

In the beginning I had to remove a lot of split ends and some days it would make me feel like I'd never get long healthy hair.

I've been doing it for nearly 3 months now and my hair is soooo much better. I've been trimming of 1 cm every 2 months to get thicker ends, but that's still less than my growth, so I guess it's good.

Firefox7275
March 27th, 2011, 06:16 AM
It's not necessarily a bad thing to trim younger hairs that are not split whilst you are trimming the ones that are, they are probably somewhat damaged so it should help them to maintain condition until they catch up with your hemline. Ends that are just dry and damaged snag on hairs that are in good shape so it might also help you avoid tangles. :)

julliams
March 27th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Well, when I find them I cut them - simple as that. I mostly don't notice them too but hey, I can only do what I can do. I just kind of hold a chunk of hair about 3 inches from the end and let it hang like a tassle in front of my computer screen. Then I just look for anything irregular. I have an eye for splits so I just see them immediately and follow to find the culprit hair.

If you don't get all of them everytime don't worry.

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
my daughter does mine!

spidermom
March 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM
If you ever wear 2 braids, when they get fluffy looking from shorter hairs sticking out, that's a good time to look for splits.

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 06:52 PM
good tip spidey!

iris
March 28th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I find them by feel - I just take a small section of hair (about 10-30 hairs), and run my fingertips over the section from root till end. You feel right away when there's a split in the section somewhere, it feels very different (run your fingers down a guaranteed split-free section for comparison if you can't tell right away). Then I move to a combination of fingertip-feeling and eyesight to find the hair that has the split.

I learned this trick from a hairdresser, it works much better than just eyesight.

Vervaine
March 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I get tons of splits high up (ponytail damage I think) and I just take a tiny section of hair and wrap it over a finger to make the shorter hairs stand out. Then I slide my finger down the length, clipping splits as I see them. Repeat with next section. The twist method didn't work as well for me (layers, etc).

I have a related question for ya'll though- do you think that there reaches a point when the damage is too much for S&D and one just has to give up and hack it off? I feel like even if I spend hours on it the splits are just back a day or two later. :(