PDA

View Full Version : fishtail/ herringbone braid

az_sweetie01
June 13th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Okay, is it just me or are these kind of time consumming? Then again, maybe I'm just slow and/or inexperienced....

I really love the look of them but, man are they tough to master!

Anyone have any pointers that may help?

SweetPea88
June 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I think you're right, they do seem to be a little more time consuming than other braids. With the herringbone I always find that I need to take 10-30 sec. breaks otherwise I get really sloppy. I don't really have any great advice other than just take your time and practice. Hopefully others will be a little more helpful! :o

Katze
June 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
yes, they are time consuming but so worth it! Mine stay in longer and make my hair look thicker.
I don't know if I could take a break; I have to braid pretty snug or risk losing everything.

j4zzin
June 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I think another thing to factor in is how big the sections you're crossing over are. The first few times I did a herringbone, I did tiny little sections and it took forever to finish. It looked very intricate and feathery, but it also was a pain to unbraid. If you do nice big pieces, it goes a lot faster but you get a look similar to a regular 3-strand english braid.

I'm still practicing them too. My biggest mistake is not using all the hair and ending up with a bunch of flat hair on the backside, if that makes any sense. You have to be sure to get the outermost edge each time. Plus, it's also A LOT easier if you tie it off at the top before you start, though I personally don't like that look so much.

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM
This braid, which was taught to me as "snake" braid, is a bit on the time-consuming side for me as well. I like mine a bit messy-looking with uneven sections.

florenonite
June 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
The one in my avatar took me five, ten minutes to do (though my hair's quite short), but you may notice that the sections are reasonably large.

az_sweetie01
June 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks Ladies :flower: I'm going to continue to practice. My other problem is that when I get towards the bottom, I want to pull the braid over my shoulder and braid from the front (by then my arms are very tired, lol). But, the braid gets lopsidded...practic, I need more practice! :rolleyes:

yes, they are time consuming but so worth it! Mine stay in longer and make my hair look thicker.
I don't know if I could take a break; I have to braid pretty snug or risk losing everything.

I noticed this and REALLY like that little bonus!!

Gumball
June 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I've found yeah, they take a little longer, but they look really nifty so sometimes it really does pay off. I know I need a little more practice doing them. I guess I never really thought about it making hair look thicker but it's so true. :)

SweetPea88
June 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Have you tried doing a full herringbone, where it starts at the top like a French or Dutch braid? I really like how they look and it might give some extra practice. :wink:

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I rarely try to bring a braid over one shoulder to finish. I usually bend forward, with the braid hanging toward the floor, and finish that way. If I'm tired, I sit down before I bend forward. If you try this, pay close attention to where you are and what you're doing as you bend forward because your movements will be inverted. (example: you were crossing sections at the front of the braid, but while leaning toward the floor you will be crossing sections at the back of the braid)

WritingPrincess
June 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
What I do is bring the braid over my shoulder and braid it "upside down". I mean, if I'm English braiding and I get the part where I pull it over the shoulder, I switch to a Dutch braid. I do a similar thing with herringbone braids. If that makes any sense.

Curlsgirl
June 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
This braid, which was taught to me as "snake" braid, is a bit on the time-consuming side for me as well. I like mine a bit messy-looking with uneven sections.

Ooooooooooooo scary :D

SM, how did you do those spirals in the bottom of your hair in your sig pic? They look so pretty!

FrannyG
June 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I find the herringbone braid very, very time-consuming, and I never do one without getting sore arms--especially French herringbones. Therefore I don't do them often, but when I do, I'm always really delighted with the way it looks. It's a look that others always remark on as well.

az_sweetie01
June 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I rarely try to bring a braid over one shoulder to finish. I usually bend forward, with the braid hanging toward the floor, and finish that way. If I'm tired, I sit down before I bend forward. If you try this, pay close attention to where you are and what you're doing as you bend forward because your movements will be inverted. (example: you were crossing sections at the front of the braid, but while leaning toward the floor you will be crossing sections at the back of the braid)

"What I do is bring the braid over my shoulder and braid it "upside down". I mean, if I'm English braiding and I get the part where I pull it over the shoulder, I switch to a Dutch braid. I do a similar thing with herringbone braids. If that makes any sense."

It does :) Thanks, spidermom and writing princess! I'm gonna try that. :)

spidermom
June 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Ooooooooooooo scary :D

SM, how did you do those spirals in the bottom of your hair in your sig pic? They look so pretty!

Thank you CG. It's a warm roller set. First I set my hair all over to smooth down the frizzies (which were badbadbad that day). Then I let the curlers warm up again and rolled only the bottom up to nape.

Unfortunately the set didn't last very long, so I'm glad my son's GF was here to take pictures. Even after I lost the curl, however, my hair looked about 95% better.

I can get a more long-lasting curl like that by using large sponge rollers on damp hair. But of course that takes planning ahead -- something I'm not terribly good at.

Curlsgirl
June 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you CG. It's a warm roller set. First I set my hair all over to smooth down the frizzies (which were badbadbad that day). Then I let the curlers warm up again and rolled only the bottom up to nape.

Unfortunately the set didn't last very long, so I'm glad my son's GF was here to take pictures. Even after I lost the curl, however, my hair looked about 95% better.

I can get a more long-lasting curl like that by using large sponge rollers on damp hair. But of course that takes planning ahead -- something I'm not terribly good at.

Thanks! I did something different the other night that may work for you too. I took not the smallest claw clips or the next smallest but the NEXT size up and while my hair was still damp I twisted it around my fingers (turning it under) in several sections and let it dry like that. When I took it out it was turned under in curls and looked pretty good.You could even put it all on top of your head while sleeping I guess. I bet using a gel or something would do even better. Just an idea.

Back to your regular scheduled program. :D

mommy2one05
June 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Yes I agree with curlgirl.
The curly hair in the new sig pic is very pretty.

Phalaenopsis
June 14th, 2008, 01:16 AM
This one is one I still can't master. I never can get it tight enough. I always wonder how other people do that.

eresh
June 14th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I love the herringbone, it makes the braid seem thicker :-)
It does take a little more time as you have to make more moves (it least I have to because I use thin strands)
But it is more time consuming to take it out again ;-)

KaeleyAnne
June 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
What I do is bring the braid over my shoulder and braid it "upside down". I mean, if I'm English braiding and I get the part where I pull it over the shoulder, I switch to a Dutch braid. I do a similar thing with herringbone braids. If that makes any sense.

I do the same thing when braiding, WritingPrincess. :)