PDA

View Full Version : completed my first thorough S and D

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
so i put my hair into a bunch of sectional miny ponys and did my first real search and destroy... i was horrified to see how much had to be cut! nearly 40% of my hairs were split! ofcourse my hair has been ultra bleached repetedly and colored over and over and over not to mention that i used to blowdry ever morning on a setting that made my hair get so hot that touching the hair would burn me... oh how i tortured my hair before LHC. it took me nearly 2 hours to get through all the sections... some of the splits went up a whole inch!...
i do feel that ive accomplished something today.
how often should i do search and destroys?..
any simalar experiences?
how can i prevent splits in heavily damaged hair?
im happy to say that my bangs that have only ever had henna had no splits not one, so perhaps after all the damaged ends are trimmed off i wont have many problems..

Nat242
March 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
It's always kind of satisfying to do a big S&D, isn't it? I get lots of splits in the last 1/4 of my hair, due to multiple colourings and heat styling, and I get crazy splits - sometimes the hair looks like a feather, sometimes even the split ends have split ends!!

It's easy to get a bit obsessed about it, though. I would recommend making a rule about when you can S&D, like the 1st Saturday of the month or something. This way, you won't be constantly worrying about and looking at your split ends every day, and they won't be so upsetting and frustrating (at least, that's how I feel about them)!

-- Natalie

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM
dont worry hun, I always find a million and one splits, the longer your hair gets, the older it is. Its inevitable some damage will occur, even pampered hair plus i see your fine/medium hair same as me, fine hair is more fragile too so is more likely to split but your hairs still looking as beautiful as ever so don't worry its normal. xx

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM
That sounds like me before I bit the bullet and just did a good trim. My ends were getting thinner and thinner every time I did S&D, but there were always more splits to find.

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
That sounds like me before I bit the bullet and just did a good trim. My ends were getting thinner and thinner every time I did S&D, but there were always more splits to find. i cant imagine how many splits i would have if i hadnt trimmed off 2 inches... ofcourse my hair would be past waist now if i hadnt trimmed... wouldnt it be strange if i hadnt trimmed, and went from barely past shoulder to past waist in 6 months... my hair is only waist when wet now... im thinking that if i trim off a half inch every 6 months ill be able to get rid of my damage and my layers... but i do kind of like fairytail ends... perhaps a search and destroy every 2-3 months would be a good habit... i wonder... how long will my hair be in annother 6 months.. could it be the fast growth that is causing the splits... i mean i grew in 6 months what takes alot of people almost a year to grow, (that means i only had 6 months to learn what other have a year to learn) maybe im not quite able to keep up with the ever changing needs of my hair as it gets longer... im glad its cold now because my hair grows slower when its cold... i know that sounds strange but my hair usually grows really fast in the summer and i dont want to cause damage to my hair because im treating it like its a couple inches shorter than it really is every month... i just cant keep up! its like i need to find a new way to take care of it every month...

wow i hope i made at least some sense there.. i tend to babble on and on making no sense

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm the queen of split ends. Inspite of my hair being completely virgin, and being able to count on my fingers the number of times I've blow dried or heat styled it... I get splits like made.

My splits split, and sometimes, even they split!

I find if I skip S&D for more than a couple month, I'll be busy for hours getting all the new splits out.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm the queen of split ends. Inspite of my hair being completely virgin, and being able to count on my fingers the number of times I've blow dried or heat styled it... I get splits like made.

My splits split, and sometimes, even they split!

I find if I skip S&D for more than a couple month, I'll be busy for hours getting all the new splits out.

Oh, me too! The splits ends of my split ends are split. They look like limbs, branches, and twigs. I am going to try NO MORE BRUSHING. (ooo, that hurt; I love it so)

Shadow Walker
March 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Oh, me too! The splits ends of my split ends are split. They look like limbs, branches, and twigs. I am going to try NO MORE BRUSHING. (ooo, that hurt; I love it so)

Yup, I found a bunch of those myself last night after a S+D. Made me go :blueeek:

MadPirateBippy
March 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I do s&d's when on the phone. So, if you set aside some time in the evenings to call friends and family, that can help. That way you're doing something productive while talking about all your yummy dishy gossip.

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
i cant handle S&D lol, i simply dont have the patience lol