PDA

View Full Version : Hair diagnosis

varintalonguard
March 25th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I am having end issues. They are dry and porous feelings. I've clarified, smt-ed, coconut oiled, trimmed, deep conditioned and about everything you can think of. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think a protien treatment would help? Whats a good protein treatment? Also how does one s and d and can you have split ends without them being really visible?

RitaCeleste
March 27th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Protein is drying to hair. Protein treatments probably wouldn't help the dryness at the tips. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose has been really good for my dry ends. I use it as a leave in and do deep conditioning treatments with it.

jojo
March 27th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Funny you should post this, I too had been having dry end issues and for me ditching the shampoo altogether and just using a moisturising conditioner has resolved my problem. I have co washed for nearly a week now using tresemme moiture conditioner, yes it has cones but my dry ends have compleatly gone. I was also using a protein shampoo and conditioner previously and they do cause dryness and breakage, try the co washing for just a week it will help.

danacc
March 27th, 2011, 08:47 AM
You mentioned coconut oiling. This worked for my dry ends: put the coconut oil on the length while the hair is dry. Leave it for at least 5 minutes. Wet, then apply a moisturizing conditioner (mine has no cones). Let sit for 5 minutes; rinse. My ends came out nice and soft.

Some people's hair doesn't respond well to coconut oil; does yours usually? If not experiment with other oils. Olive oil is another popular one.

danacc
March 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that I used quite a bit of oil. My hair had a damp, clumpy look from the coconut oil alone.

krissykins
March 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Honestly, it sounds like you need moisture more than protein. Are you cone free right now? Try dabbing some coney conditioner on the bottom few inches of your hair when it's damp and see if that helps at all. You may have to do it for a few days before you get results.

littlenvy
March 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
When that happens to me and oils no longer help and clarifying does no good, I use Joico K-pak either the Deep Penetrating reconstructor or the Intense Hydrator. :) You get the protein but with a very good moisture treatment so it takes care of the dryness and the porous feeling all at once.

Anje
March 27th, 2011, 11:19 AM
How do porous ends feel? I'd like a better descriptor here...

Some hair likes protein, but if mine gets too much the ends get scrunched up, tangle instantly, and feel rough between the fingers. Depending on what your hair feels like, I'd be more inclined to suspect that you have too much protein, not too little.

Alvrodul
March 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Nightblooming's Panacea saved my tips! I have had the same problem - dry, velcroish tips from mechanical and chemical damage. Nowadays they are a lot better - it did not happen overnight, and I have also been doing SMTs, S&Ding and a couple of small trims. And the other things have also helped to improve matters, of course.

Firefox7275
March 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Has trimming made an improvement? Perhaps you didn't cut quite enough off? Alternatively you might try Fox's Conditioning Cream which is coconut oil, shea butter plus conditioner, I mention it since you have coconut already in stock. I'm just trying that out myself at present, my hands love it ha ha! :p

krissykins
March 27th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream (SBCC) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586) is a great way to help moisturize ends as well, as Firefox mentioned above. Personally my hair enjoys the hair butter in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=282). The shea butter recipe is magnificent for moisturizing hair and skin :)

varintalonguard
March 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Danacc - My hair loves coconut oil. I just put loads of it on and let it sit, follow by a mist of filtered water and I get great curls. Its just not cutting it on its own the last month or so. I tried mixing it with honey and aloe juice but my ends hate it...though the rest of my hair seems fine with it.

Krissykins- I am cone free atm. Though I am taking your advice and just putting a cone condish on the last few inches of hair. It means upping my washes to twice a week cause my hair doesn't like cones as a rule but the ends do seem to be responding.

Anje - The ends feel very rough and porous means a lot like a pumice stone when you touch it.

Firefox7275 - trims are marginally successful but I really only feel too much a difference the first day or so after. Just long enough to get my hopes up. It really screwed up my plans for growth though my longest layer only lost 1/4 or so of an inch, my shorter ones got cut down more than an inch...during a slow growth period. Ouch

Sorry it took me so long to respond. The site hasn't been good to me -the hamster keeps running away. :p

hanne jensen
March 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I have the same problem. What has saved my hair is the Ktani's Movie Star Shampoo Method.

After my hair was saturated I tried to CO. All of the coconut oil vanished. I am now saturated again, but use about 1/4 oil to 3/4 poo. Works like a charm and is CHEAP!