PDA

View Full Version : Just Cant Resolve This...

Natalia
March 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Ok well this probably my fourth or fifth thread on this topic so forgive my redundancy but i cant resolve this one thing. Im still debating getting a boar bristle brush. At first i was all for it since i wanted to try going WO (which i am no for the most part) but then many people said it would probably be to harsh on my fine thin hair so i backed off for a while. I managed ok with once a week washing with WO between but that was still to frequent for me so ive gotten used to wearing styles that dont show the grease till it starts getting to itchy and my shedding increases then I wash.

Now im starting to get out more, but feeling worse,a nd money is tighter. Long run im thinking if its right for me a BBB would be the better investment since my sensitive scalp only likes one brand thus far (aubreys) and it comes to about 15 dollors a bottle for shampoo. Im still dabbling with BS washes and when i have enough i CO or SMT but this last year the greasiness comeback faster than when i S&C.

So bottom line im trying to focus on distribution to further lengthen the times between S&C. I havent used any type of brush at least since i joined here so i comb, preen, and finger comb when my hair is agreeable to that. I do alot of preening in shower and out but that doesnt seem to be effective enough past the two week point. I havent shampooed regularly since before coming here so i think this is as low as my production is going to get. Is it worth it with my hairtype and texture to keep dwelling on a BBB? Bear in mind most of my length is previously dyed that im trying to grow out and as i said above its baby fine and thin. Will a BBB do more damage than good? If so what are some other methods i can try? Last few months ive been trying blotting with a clean dry towel after gently removing the excess moisture post shower it helps some but not enough so is ther anythign else?

Thanks for indulging me again :p.
Natalia

allnaturalboy
March 25th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I think you could get one. Just be gentle with it and make sure your hair is fully de-tangled before using it.

Natalia
March 27th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I think you could get one. Just be gentle with it and make sure your hair is fully de-tangled before using it.

Thanks for the reply allnaturalboy. Do you have experiance with BBB? I found some in my price range (AKA cheap) but im not sure what to get other than something easy to clean so nothing with a cushion. Are the cushioned ones better or is anything 100% boar ok?

shikara
March 27th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Well, my hair is pretty fine and prone to tangle. Although I don't want to get a boar bristle brush now, I did use one regularly in my twenties (back then I was S&Ding, oiling etc too ie. paying attention to my hair) and I really liked it - didn't notice it causing damage. I'm not sure what stores are in the US but I saw great (low) prices on boar bristle brushes both at Superstore and Walmart. Can you stretch your shampoo by diluting it a little. I had read a post by Madora and her washing routine and she will mix a little shampoo in water and pour that over her head and will do that twice. Oddly enough, I've found that diluting my shampoo leads to requiring to wash less :rolleyes:

Tiina
March 27th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Have you tried shampoo bars? Since I started using them, my hair doesn't turn greasy as fast as it used to. Another thing that helps me stretch out washes is a vinegar rinse without washing. I pour about half a liter of water mixed with a teaspoon of vinegar onto my dry scalp (usually I have my length bunned), wait for about ten minutes and then rinse. I'm not sure if it will work for everybody but it does work for me. However, I only use pure vinegar not ACV.

Lamb
March 27th, 2011, 04:25 AM
There is an article on preening (distributing oil down the hair shaft) without a BBB here:
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=181

Milui Elenath
March 27th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I don't see why you shouldn't try a BBB as you are using it to distribute oil not detangle. I have fine hair and never had any issues with any brushes causing damage.

I can't use BBB because I am allergic (yes really and no it wasn't just scratching my scalp) so I use the 50cent plastic scalp brushes from the chemist (Nu Brush) to smooth my hair. It might be another option for you. The brushes don't have seems along the tines and can be washed easily which is needed when WO.

morecowbell
March 27th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I would go with Milui Elenath's suggestion of a cheap plastic bristle brush first. You can find them in most drug stores and beauty supplies (there should be a Sally Beauty near you, I found several in San Diego while I was there). My length is damaged from dye, too, and I got some splits from my BBB... my virgin healthy hair loves it, so I'm keeping it until I've grown out the damage.
There's also a 'porcupine' brush that works great for me, it's a combination of a regular brush and nylon bristles. You can buy them at Walmart for something like $5.
HTH and good luck! :)

Natalia
March 27th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Well, my hair is pretty fine and prone to tangle. Although I don't want to get a boar bristle brush now, I did use one regularly in my twenties (back then I was S&Ding, oiling etc too ie. paying attention to my hair) and I really liked it - didn't notice it causing damage. I'm not sure what stores are in the US but I saw great (low) prices on boar bristle brushes both at Superstore and Walmart. Can you stretch your shampoo by diluting it a little. I had read a post by Madora and her washing routine and she will mix a little shampoo in water and pour that over her head and will do that twice. Oddly enough, I've found that diluting my shampoo leads to requiring to wash less :rolleyes:

Hi Shikara :). No unfortunatly i cant dilute my shampoo any further. I already apply to sopping wet hair and rewet it durring the process. Aside from that part of the reason im WO is becasue it takes less energy. I was not blessed with good health so 3 times a month is about as much energy i have to expend on hair maitenance so i try to wash less whenever possible. Thast cool diluting works for you :). Maybe my results are different since i cant use sulfates?

Have you tried shampoo bars? Since I started using them, my hair doesn't turn greasy as fast as it used to. Another thing that helps me stretch out washes is a vinegar rinse without washing. I pour about half a liter of water mixed with a teaspoon of vinegar onto my dry scalp (usually I have my length bunned), wait for about ten minutes and then rinse. I'm not sure if it will work for everybody but it does work for me. However, I only use pure vinegar not ACV.

Not as of yet Tiina. I have tried castile soap but not specifically shampoo bars. Was looking into it but its just not cost efficent for me and they require a rinse which is one more thing i have to carry back and forth every use. I will give the vinegar thing a try though. I have white vinegar for cleaning so trying it once cant hurt. Since going WO ACV rinses have mademe MORE greasy if doing alone and not after a shampoo. Maybei need to leave it on longer or change vinegar. I also have citric acid to try sometime.

There is an article on preening (distributing oil down the hair shaft) without a BBB here:
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=181

Thanks Lamb im pretty sure thats the one ive read several times but i shall follow the link just in case :). I do preen but after a certain point it just isnt enough.

I don't see why you shouldn't try a BBB as you are using it to distribute oil not detangle. I have fine hair and never had any issues with any brushes causing damage.

I can't use BBB because I am allergic (yes really and no it wasn't just scratching my scalp) so I use the 50cent plastic scalp brushes from the chemist (Nu Brush) to smooth my hair. It might be another option for you. The brushes don't have seems along the tines and can be washed easily which is needed when WO.

Bummer to be allergic to boar..i hope im not i have an incredible number of allergies :(. Right now im using something similar to what you describe not sure if its the same brand just a very fine toothed smooth plastic comb i found in the closet lol. It does ok makes my hair look better in updo's and removes lint very well but doesnt move the sebum more than 2 inches.

I would go with Milui Elenath's suggestion of a cheap plastic bristle brush first. You can find them in most drug stores and beauty supplies (there should be a Sally Beauty near you, I found several in San Diego while I was there). My length is damaged from dye, too, and I got some splits from my BBB... my virgin healthy hair loves it, so I'm keeping it until I've grown out the damage.
There's also a 'porcupine' brush that works great for me, it's a combination of a regular brush and nylon bristles. You can buy them at Walmart for something like $5.
HTH and good luck! :)

Sounds like were in the same boat. My dyed length has a TOTALLY different personality than my virgin roots. Thats why i didnt continue with catile or indian herbs my roots were fine my lenth sucked horribly. Since my purpose in the BBB is to use it to spread sebum to the ends i worried about what you described. Thast where the debate comes in for me. I guess long run since i intend to stay virgin it would probably be a goo investment, just hard to justify whne you dont have money for nessacary things like water... Ugh. Thanks for the input it did help.