PDA

View Full Version : again, combing curly hair!

gthlvrmx
March 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM
i found this website while looking through for long hair stuff on google jeje

http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/therules/

and btw, this book too just for you guys to enjoy :D
http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Afro-Textured-Maximum-Lengths-Shortest/dp/0982068905/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301071306&sr=8-1

The question: Since my hair IS curly(not as curly though as tight spirals), is it really more damaging combing while dry? I sometimes sense that maybe it is better to not comb it dry because i do get these snarls every time i do not like and i know i have breaking some hair. So from the first website, do you think it'd be better for my hair not to comb when dry? Because i completely understand the poof effect from combing, i completely do!! :) Mahalo!!

varintalonguard
March 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
curls don't like combs. I almost never even use one. I detangle when my hair is wet with either my fingers or a brush, being very careful cause of how delicate hair can be when it is wet. Anything you do to your dry hair can disrupt your curl pattern and possibly damage your hair.

ElusiveMuse
March 25th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I comb my curls. They pouf a bit and I smooth some oil into them and they get super sleek and bounce right into shape.

meowmeow
March 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM
It is not damaging to comb dry, I do it all the time (although I have a specific technique so I don't get frizz). Like with any other hair type, just be gentle and you'll be fine.

gthlvrmx
March 26th, 2011, 10:40 PM
curls don't like combs. I almost never even use one. I detangle when my hair is wet with either my fingers or a brush, being very careful cause of how delicate hair can be when it is wet. Anything you do to your dry hair can disrupt your curl pattern and possibly damage your hair.
i was thinking that because if you constantly change its natural shape, itll eventually weaken and break in certain areas. but i dont think itll be bad if i do once in a while, and itll just lose its curl when i put it up anyways

gthlvrmx
March 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
It is not damaging to comb dry, I do it all the time (although I have a specific technique so I don't get frizz). Like with any other hair type, just be gentle and you'll be fine.

I try my best, i really do :P What is your technique? I'm very curious :)

gthlvrmx
March 26th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I comb my curls. They pouf a bit and I smooth some oil into them and they get super sleek and bounce right into shape.

Oh you are so lucky!! My hair refuses to curl and bounce all the way back when combed, it goes halfway. :P Your hair must look so beautiful when you oil it and it bounces back :)

meowmeow
March 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I try my best, i really do :P What is your technique? I'm very curious :)

Instead of combing my hair straight down like one big mass, I just do one clump at a time. There are some clumps that I might not comb just because I don't really need to. My hair generally forms big curls, and it isn't very thick so this works for me. Sometimes the hair separates, but I just run my hand down the curl and they come back together again. Sometimes I wet my hand when I do that as well. :)

gthlvrmx
March 27th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Instead of combing my hair straight down like one big mass, I just do one clump at a time. There are some clumps that I might not comb just because I don't really need to. My hair generally forms big curls, and it isn't very thick so this works for me. Sometimes the hair separates, but I just run my hand down the curl and they come back together again. Sometimes I wet my hand when I do that as well. :)

oh ok similar to mine, i make four different sections and gently comb out :) fingers first then comb. thank you!! :)

Speedbump
March 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I usually preen, then fingercomb, then comb with my bohn comb. Best comb I ever had. Before that, I used to use a hairbrush, and it tore the crap out of my strands. I'm really glad I switched to combs. I've got a little collection going! :cool:

ElusiveMuse
March 27th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Oh you are so lucky!! My hair refuses to curl and bounce all the way back when combed, it goes halfway. :P Your hair must look so beautiful when you oil it and it bounces back :)

It looks like our curls are not totally dissimilar, yours are a touch more tight than mine. I'll put some pics of just-combed and oiled curls in my profile if you want to compare.

Firefox7275
March 27th, 2011, 03:11 AM

I'm not sure much of haircare is about luck, seems to me it's about working with your length/ curl pattern and treating your hair well consistently over a long period. If hair is properly conditioned/ moisturised you are more likely to be able to retain your curl pattern or definition after combing it. :) If you have snags ask yourself why - is that down to damage or knots, if so what is it in your life or hair routine that is damaging or knotting your hair?

RitaCeleste
March 27th, 2011, 03:23 AM
My hair is just wavy. I really despise combs. Ever since I was little it would tangle very bad and the last thing I wanted to see was a comb. I use a wide bristle brush with those metal bristles with little plastic caps on them, or plastic bristles. I loose the curl definition and use an oil sheen spray or just some oil for frizz. Finger combing is a kinda habit when I don't have a brush handy. My hair is damaged (color, lots of color) so I just do the bare minimum when its wet to get it in place. I brush it before washing and things so its easier to get threw wet. Finger combing is the best if you are worried about breaking it because you can ease the tangles out most of the time.

gthlvrmx
March 27th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I usually preen, then fingercomb, then comb with my bohn comb. Best comb I ever had. Before that, I used to use a hairbrush, and it tore the crap out of my strands. I'm really glad I switched to combs. I've got a little collection going! :cool:

good thing you swtched!! I used to just abuse my hair and pull through my locks with those, then tight nasty bun and slap on gel everywhere. Not fun stuff for hair. Jaja sounds fun to start a collection

gthlvrmx
March 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM
It looks like our curls are not totally dissimilar, yours are a touch more tight than mine. I'll put some pics of just-combed and oiled curls in my profile if you want to compare.

oh yes! That'd be great, i shall too soon :) Give it a week or so. When i oil my hair and wash, these curls turn super curly on me all day :P

krissykins
March 27th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I think hair's reaction to combing varies from head to head, just like everything else in hair care. My hair loves being detangled with a comb, but brushing is a no no!

gthlvrmx
March 27th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure much of haircare is about luck, seems to me it's about working with your length/ curl pattern and treating your hair well consistently over a long period. If hair is properly conditioned/ moisturised you are more likely to be able to retain your curl pattern or definition after combing it. :) If you have snags ask yourself why - is that down to damage or knots, if so what is it in your life or hair routine that is damaging or knotting your hair?

Hmm i shall try again. Combing while wet is fine, it's just when its dry that has me worried. Hard water def is an obvious reason for some hair trouble. Some other stuff i can fix :) Thank you! :D

gthlvrmx
March 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM
My hair is just wavy. I really despise combs. Ever since I was little it would tangle very bad and the last thing I wanted to see was a comb. I use a wide bristle brush with those metal bristles with little plastic caps on them, or plastic bristles. I loose the curl definition and use an oil sheen spray or just some oil for frizz. Finger combing is a kinda habit when I don't have a brush handy. My hair is damaged (color, lots of color) so I just do the bare minimum when its wet to get it in place. I brush it before washing and things so its easier to get threw wet. Finger combing is the best if you are worried about breaking it because you can ease the tangles out most of the time.

Ah wide tooth combs work best for me, those brushes were really not good for me at all. But finger combing, you're on to something there :P Out of curiousity, how many times have you colored it?

gthlvrmx
March 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I think hair's reaction to combing varies from head to head, just like everything else in hair care. My hair loves being detangled with a comb, but brushing is a no no!

High five for the brushing, share the same thing here.
Thank you :)

lacefrost
March 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I would say try out combing wet and then next time combing dry and then compare breakage. I have to comb wet w/conditioner or I get more breakage but the only way I found that out was I did both and compared.

And everyone's hair likes fingercombing. :) Gentlest method ever.

gthlvrmx
March 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I would say try out combing wet and then next time combing dry and then compare breakage. I have to comb wet w/conditioner or I get more breakage but the only way I found that out was I did both and compared.

And everyone's hair likes fingercombing. :) Gentlest method ever.

Will do next wash :) fingercombing is great :)

McFearless
March 27th, 2011, 06:53 PM
If you get knots while combing dry curls you might have better success with combing while your hair is soaked in conditioner.