PDA

View Full Version : I'm so silly

ladyveg
March 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I bought Aura Rosemary Mint Conditioner thinking it had no cones. Then I found out -xane means cone, so I went to return it to Sally Beauty Supply. While there, I was looking at Argan Oil and the saleslady told me she used Proclaim Argain Oil Hair Oil Treatment. I smelled it and basically fell in love with the scent, so I bought it. Now I look at the ingredients and the first THREE ingredients are cones! D'oh! I do CO so I'm not sure if I should use this, even now and then, because won't I get buildup from it? :confused:

ladyveg
March 25th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Wow. It smelled so good I couldn't stand it and I put a teeny tiny bit in my length, nowhere near my scalp. Now my hair smells ravishing. Any opinion on whether using this product will cause my CO regimen to not be enough to get the 'cones out of my hair?

Sundial
March 27th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Cones may not necessarily be a bad thing. Some people don't seem to get a buildup from it and some just use it nonetheless then clarify when they start getting buildups.

Some members like luxepiggy use cone conditioners for CO. You should check the CO thread on their experiences and also to ask for any advice if you bump into cone CO related issues

shikara
March 27th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hehe....yes, you are so silly;) I agree with sundial that cones aren't necessarily so bad...in fact, they are a godsend to many (like myself) but perhaps you really don't want to use them??? It's been my experience that products that we quite like don't find their way to our bathroom shelves all that often. Speaking of the scent, I remember a product that I used when I was in my early twenties, and all the compliments I received from almost anyone that got close to my hair - men too!:) (It was Mill Creek Keratin Shampoo - but I simply cannot use it anymore - protein.)

kwaniesiam
March 27th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Cones aren't evil. If a product works for you, use it. Just keep an eye out for buildup and even if you do have any you can just clarify to fix the problem.

Neoma
March 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I alternate cleansing methods. CO is one of them. When I CO, I frequently use a coney condish as my final conditioner. Or I'll use a coney leave-in after CO'ing. :flower:

McFearless
March 27th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'm CO and I use cones. I don't really get buildup. Will your hair suffer if you use a little diluted SLS shampoo every month?

ladyveg
March 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the input, everybody! McFearless, that was what I was thinking--go ahead and use the Argan Oil stuff after a wash and use an SLS-free shampoo diluted on the first of each month just to keep buildup from occurring. I have quite porous hair so my guess is I may be prone to buildup. I'll just have to see what happens.

LocustSpawning
March 28th, 2011, 03:50 PM
It really is a monstrous hair myth (for most people) that cones are somehow horrible and terrible for hair. Plenty of people with gorgeous healthy long hair use cone-heavy products and never have any trouble with build-up. It just depends on how *your* hair reacts to them. If coney products make your hair feel good, then use them!

jesis
March 28th, 2011, 04:17 PM
If you love the product, but do get buildup, you could always clarify regularly. That's what I do. I have curly hair and neither CO or going organic worked for me, so I do use cones, but I do get buildup, so I have to clarify about once a week. :)

jojo
March 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I CO wash daily with tresemme moisture (my in product at the moment!) and have no problems. TBH a lot of the time I dont even read the ingredients, if my hair likes it thats good enough for me.

Don't get into the trap that cones are evil, hair product companies would be sued for millions if they put harmful ingredients in shampoos and conditioners. Some may irritate your scalp but thats about all.

If your hair is shiny, bouncy and looks healthy continue as you are, as the old saying goes "if its not broke, don't fix it!"

ladyveg
April 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
Well, I used this product a couple of times. I poured a tiny bit on my palm, rubbed my hands together then rubbed them through my hair. Each time I did it I got greasy-looking patches in my hair. I honestly only used the tiniest bit, far less than a dime-sized amount. More like a pea size, if that. I don't know if it is the cones or the oil or my hair color or texture, but the shine looks like greasy hair on me. Now I don't know what to do with the stuff. I know I can return it if I find the receipt, but I've returned things to Sally's already and I would feel bad!

ladyveg
April 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
This is turning into a mememe thread. :-\ But I'm still searching for what my hair likes. I decided to wash it with Coloresse, an SLS-free Sally knockoff of Pureology. Had to get that grease out. But the Coloresse made my hair feel waxy in the shower. It was the weirdest feeling, like doll hair or something. I had to CO-wash with the Suave coconut stuff to get the Coloresse out, which was supposed to get the Argan Oil out. Eeeeeeeesh!!

Natalia
April 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM
Depends on what you hair likes. Did it do ok with cones before? My hair despises cones, when i was S&C if i didnt wash everyday i got a rats nest. Worst thing that can happen is that you wouldhave to shampoo any residue out and start COing again clean.

CaityBear
April 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
I have CO'd for a couple years now and sometimes use conditioners with cones and some products with cones and I've never had a problem.